Thread: Ask the Pacers or ask Bruno

Default Ask the Pacers or ask Bruno

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers_v2.html

. Greetings from Spain. After a tough and frustrating season, I wonder what is next with the Pacers. To me, key questions stand out:
    1. Will J.O. ever get back to elite status, or will his knee be his Achilles heel? (pun fully intended) Trade him? Keep him?
    2. What to do with Jamaal Tinsley? He seemed to show some flashes of brilliance again early this year. But his health once again kept him out, this time more games than ever. I have fully given up on him, not only for health absences but for his poor decision making and attitude over the years. What to do with him? Would anyone be interested enough to return something of value? I fully hope that this was Jamaalís last season with the Pacers. .......................

I can't remember if we are allowed to post the whole thing or not, so here you go for now, I guess.

Default Re: Ask the Pacers or ask Bruno

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers_v2.html

Start with the fact that Bruno is in the employ of the Pacers' organization. He's not a muckraking journalist, but the Pacers' PR mouthpiece. His job is to help establish the most favorable picture of the team, its owners and officers, and its players. Now, tell me just how significant these statements are:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Though J.O. believes he can get back to his former level, a lot of evidence to the contrary has surfaced in the past few seasons. . . . There's no question Larry Bird will fully explore the trade market and there look to be a lot of teams heading into blowup mode this summer, so there could be real opportunity there.

Here's another:

If J.O. stays, itís likely he'd have to accept a complementary role as younger players like Granger and Dunleavy emerge as team leaders.

And here's a third:

Playing just well enough in short bursts to tease us all with his talent, then falling victim to injury has become Tinsley's modus operandi the past few seasons, so I presume the organization's patience has expired.

Expired!
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Q. Greetings from Spain. After a tough and frustrating season, I wonder what is next with the Pacers. To me, key questions stand out:
    1. Will J.O. ever get back to elite status, or will his knee be his Achilles heel? (pun fully intended) Trade him? Keep him?
    2. What to do with Jamaal Tinsley? He seemed to show some flashes of brilliance again early this year. But his health once again kept him out, this time more games than ever. I have fully given up on him, not only for health absences but for his poor decision making and attitude over the years. What to do with him? Would anyone be interested enough to return something of value? I fully hope that this was Jamaalís last season with the Pacers.
    3. Will the fans come back ever? Of course I am many miles away, but in the photos all I see is green empty seats. I believe the Pacers had the lowest attendance in the entire NBA. In Indiana? At the best pro sports facility in the U.S? You've got to be kidding. I know Hoosiers perceive the players to be convicts and a couple certainly kept that perception alive. But there are some great guys on the team. If the fans donít come back, look out, this small market team might not last long.
    4. Is Larry Bird really in the right role? Legendary player and great coach, yes, but of course. But can he really replace Donnie Walsh? Can he pull off what (Danny) Ainge or (Mitch) Kupchak have done to really make it happen, to get the team to an elite level? Or will he be deluded into thinking that the pieces he has just might work out? Does he have the right skills to get a winning team together?
    5. What is the Pacersí situation for the draft? Might any good talent get picked up? Maybe a sign-and-trade?
    6. Who is the new face of the franchise? (Mike) Dunleavy? (Danny) Granger? Both get my vote, but they are obviously not enough in an NBA as talented as ever.
    I imagine you will have some sort of break now, so enjoy. (From Greg in Madrid, Spain)

A. Well, Greg, first things first. We did get a few days off last week, which explains why I'm rested and ready. For another break.
    Now, on to your other questions. 1. Though J.O. believes he can get back to his former level, a lot of evidence to the contrary has surfaced in the past few seasons. When healthy, he's still a very effective interior defender but his offensive game has suffered from the knee problems. There's no question Larry Bird will fully explore the trade market and there look to be a lot of teams heading into blowup mode this summer, so there could be real opportunity there. If J.O. stays, itís likely he'd have to accept a complementary role as younger players like Granger and Dunleavy emerge as team leaders. There's a third option you didn't mention. He could opt out of his contract, though that would mean leaving a lot of money on the table to risk free agency.
    2. Playing just well enough in short bursts to tease us all with his talent, then falling victim to injury has become Tinsley's modus operandi the past few seasons, so I presume the organization's patience has expired. His value on the trade market, obviously not high, could be helped by the relatively thin crop of point guards in the draft.
    3. Of the many uncertainties facing this franchise, this is the one I feel the most strongly about. Of course the fans will come back. Every team and franchise goes through lulls and the Pacers obviously have been in one for a couple of years but there's a real sense things are headed back in the right direction and with a couple of key moves here and there and a more successful team next season, Conseco Fieldhouse will once again rock.
    4. Too many have been too quick to judge Bird based on the events of the past few years. Keep in mind, he has been beneath Walsh in the chain of command so has not felt the freedom of final authority in the decision-making process. Bird now stands alone at the head of the basketball operation. Certainly, he's had input on every move that's been made since he returned to the franchise but they haven't been his responsibility. That has changed. From now on, the team will bear Bird's stamp.
    5. They have less then a 3 percent chance of landing any of the top three picks so odds are they'll draft No. 11 in the first round. Bird has said his priorities are big man and point guard, not necessarily in that order. Players of both profile will be on the board. Point guard possibilities include D.J. Augustin of Texas and Russell Westbrook of UCLA, while big men to ponder include Kevin Love of UCLA, Darrell Arthur of Kansas and DeAndre Jordan of Texas A&M. They also pick No. 41 in the second round, offering the ability to address whichever need remains after the top pick. Always keep in mind the possibility of a trade, because a lottery pick can be a powerful bargaining chip.
    6. Granger has been groomed for the ascent since he was drafted and has steadily grown into a more prominent player both on and off the court. Because he is still forming as a player, there's a presumption he has room to improve. If he does, he could become an All-Star caliber player, although he'd have to take a major leap to approach franchise-anchor status. Dunleavy appears to be more comfortable being a quiet leader by example rather than the guy on the cover of the media guide.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Note to Putnam...........wasn't it really really painful to see Neil Diamond last night?

Somebody needs to just tell him.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Note to Putnam...........wasn't it really really painful to see Neil Diamond last night?

Or maybe, Elmer Fudd is holding the solution in his hand!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post

You guys both went? I didn't, sounds like that was the right call. You know I'm not anti singers/bands continuing on such as the Stones. It used to seem funny but then I thought "why not if they can still do what they do".

But when they can't...depressing. I saw him some 20 years ago and it was really impressive.

As for the Pacers
    Expired!
    Goes without saying IMO. I'm putting his departure at 95% likely. I've basically assumed it is true already. I don't mean "hoping", not that I'm not fed up. I just mean that I truly have the impression that TPTB have hit the move on point there based on his benching, JOB's comments, why/how he started sitting, etc. I think they virtually punted on him months ago, all that's left is the technicalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Goes without saying IMO. I'm putting his departure at 95% likely. I've basically assumed it is true already. I don't mean "hoping", not that I'm not fed up. I just mean that I truly have the impression that TPTB have hit the move on point there based on his benching, JOB's comments, why/how he started sitting, etc. I think they virtually punted on him months ago, all that's left is the technicalities.

I hope you're right. Any conjecture about how? Will they work a trade? Will they buy him out? Will they keep him on the payroll and tell him to rehab his knee at home?

As to Neil Diamond, heck no I didn't go. I think geezer knew that and was just prodding me. I said in another thread somewhere that I thought Neil Diamond was good in the 70s, but is disgusting now. For one thing, he CAN'T do what he used to do (even in the 80s, his act consisted largely of pleading with the audience not to expect him to make much of an effort.) Plus, I think it is downright lecherous and creepy for a man in his 70s to be singing love songs to an unspecified "girl."