Thread: Rumour and innuendo

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rumour and innuendo

Sorry guys not sure if this has been mentioned (I believe mayhaps sometime ago) and I might need someone to confirm it, but apparently his Fordness (chad that is) has suggested in the most recent insider that the Pacers have offered Harrington and #29 to the bulls for #3 and the juicy contract of Scottie Pippen.

While i dont generally place to much stake in what ford has to say it might be an interesting talking point....

While most on here would prefer a ready made SG there are apparently some ready to contribute prospects this early in the draft (Gordon, Igudala (sp?)) off the top of my head, however gordon would appear to be more of a tweener and Iguodala has no outside shot to speak of hmmmm....

Maybe part of a larger deal? Interesting to note thouh all this talk of trading up (I believe a rumour did the orunds for awhile concerning washingtons #5) maybe few teams are biting at a Harrington for SG swap

Or maybe Barry is available for the MLE......
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rumour and innuendo

Yeah kinda a old rumor , I beleive there is a thread around here discussing it .... but I don't see it happening.

Mood

sorry read somewhere that it cropped up again in todays insider
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

No Problem , alot of trade threads and some get lost in the shuffle

I was reading a article today and paxon said this :

Paxson is interested in all three of the top draft prospects -- Connecticut junior forward Emeka Okafor, Duke freshman forward Luol Deng and Howard -- but said he might trade the Bulls' picks to get the players he feels will help his team the most.

''We've had several calls from other teams expressing interest in our picks,'' Paxson said Monday. ''It's all interesting. But the way this thing works is that nobody plays his hand early and offers specifics. People just express that they do have interest in it.

Right now it's who can play the best hand of poker basically

I don't believe it. I don't think at this point in our development they would trade a major contributor for a draft pick. We need immediate scoring help if we move Al. There are no Wade type scorers worthy of the #3 pick and we don't need a big man project.
    Walsh did it in '99.... therefore... it is now a possibility that I wouldn't have believed otherwise.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about this proposal? I think the sheer size of it, and the fact that salaries would have to be thrown in for this to work but here goes.

Pacers trade: Al Harrington, Fred Jones or Jonathan Bender, 29th pick
    Pacers get: Scottie Pippen, #6 pick, Jason Terry

Bulls trade: #3 pick, Scottie Pippen, Jerome Williams
    Bulls Get: Al Harrington, #29 pick

Magic Trade: #1 Pick
    Magic Get: #3 Pick, #16 pick, Jerome Williams

Hawks trade: #6 Pick, #16 Pick, Jason Terry
    Hawks Get: #1 Pick, Jonathan Bender or Fred Jones

The Pacers get a Soild player who can play the 1 and 2 spots, plus a high draft pick, and some slight cap space.

The Bulls get rid of Williams' contract, plus get Al Harrington.

The Magic, get a solid veteran in Williams and get the 3 and 16 picks.

The Hawks really want the #1 pick to get Howard, and get him plus either Bender or Fred Jones and really get to start over with a local prep star.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

The Pacers actually give up quite a bit in that deal for the #6 pick of a weak draft and a hopelessly undersized SG.

If I'm Chicago I can't wait to do this deal. They have enough kids on that team already.

Sorry, but no way is Orlando going to drop two spots in the draft when there are no sure-fire big men after #2, for JYD and the 16th pick. Thats simply not going to happen.

Th Hawks would NEVER do this trade. Why? Because its TOO DAMN SMART. The Hawks are idiots and this trade would make them look like bandits. Shoot, just the #1 pick ALONE for that crap is highway robbery.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers actually give up quite a bit in that deal for the #6 pick of a weak draft and a hopelessly undersized SG.

If I'm Chicago I can't wait to do this deal. They have enough kids on that team already.

Sorry, but no way is Orlando going to drop two spots in the draft when there are no sure-fire big men after #2, for JYD and the 16th pick. Thats simply not going to happen.

Th Hawks would NEVER do this trade. Why? Because its TOO DAMN SMART. The Hawks are idiots and this trade would make them look like bandits. Shoot, just the #1 pick ALONE for that crap is highway robbery.
    It wan't a perfect deal by any means, but I think saying Terry is "hopeless" is a little much. The Magic could be replaced with the Clippers with the 2 pick going to Atlanta, Terry to the Clippers, and Quintin Richardson in a S&T to Indiana.

It was mostly just a stab in the dark as I was bored as hell.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I don't believe it. I don't think at this point in our development they would trade a major contributor for a draft pick. We need immediate scoring help if we move Al. There are no Wade type scorers worthy of the #3 pick and we don't need a big man project.
    Walsh did it in '99.... therefore... it is now a possibility that I wouldn't have believed otherwise.

-Bball
    Not. That was an OLD team in 99. They NEEDED to risk trying to develop a new young star.
    not QUITE the same situation right now, eh??
    quite agree.

the best theory i've heard about acquiring the #3 (or other high pick) is to use it as trade bait for someone like t-mac. that makes some sense at least, since a rebuilding team would value high picks more.

-Bball
    Not. That was an OLD team in 99. They NEEDED to risk trying to develop a new young star.
    not QUITE the same situation right now, eh??
    They didn't 'need' to 'risk' anything at that point IMHO. Of the members who you might consider 'old' that trade did nothing to minimize their importance to the team. As a matter of fact, it put more emphassis on the old players. I'll never see trading away a team strength for a project as a smart move... not when you are inside a championship window. There had to be much smarter moves available besides the fact of who we could've had in that draft. We got burned so bad that I have to wonder if Walsh would do that again.

Let's not forget, we had projects even then (Al Harrington for one).

I know all the arguments. I've heard them 1000 times and I still don't buy it. Not when the player you get is Bender.

Didn't Walsh say last year he was thru babysitting? Hopefully that is a sign he doesn't want anymore projects taking up bench space. ....Or maybe he was just signaling us that Bird would be coming aboard and it would be his problem.

Anyway.... I believe it should be a 'near certainty' whatever player we'd trade for will have a role with this team. I don't want to see another team lessened by a Bender II.

Trading up for a high pick and then trading it away for a vet sounds intriguing though.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

As to the 99 draft, what would YOU have done? You've got no young stars and the bottom of the barrel in picks. So they rolled the dice on a 7' high school kid with long arms and a 40" vertical jump. Gee what a bunch of idiots.
    2. Steve Francis Maryland Vancouver
    3. Baron Davis UCLA Charlotte
    4. Lamar Odom Rhode Island LA Clippers
    5. Jonathan Bender Picayune (MS) HS Toronto
    6. Wally Szczerbiak Miami (OH) Minnesota
    7. Richard Hamilton Connecticut Washington
    8. Andre Miller Utah Cleveland
    9. Shawn Marion Nevada-Las Vegas Phoenix
    10. Jason Terry Arizona Atlanta
    11. Trajan Langdon Duke Cleveland
    12. Aleksander Radojevic Barton County (KS) CC Toronto
    13. Corey Maggette Duke Seattle
    14. William Avery Duke Minnesota
    15. Frederic Weis Limoges (France) New York
    16. Ron Artest St John's Chicago
    17. Cal Bowdler Old Dominion Atlanta
    18. James Posey Xavier Denver
    19. Quincy Lewis Minnesota Utah
    20. Dion Glover Georgia Tech Atlanta
    21. Jeff Foster Southwest Texas State Golden State
    22. Kenny Thomas New Mexico Houston
    23. Devean George Augsburg LA Lakers
    24. Andrei Kirilenko CSKA Moscow (Russia) Utah
    25. Tim James Miami (FL) Miami
    26. Vonteego Cummings Pittsburgh Indiana
    27. Jumaine Jones Georgia Atlanta
    28. Scott Padgett Kentucky Utah
    29. Leon Smith King (IL) HS San Antonio

------
    Would you still pick Bender 5th?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Man, after the top-four, that is a *lousy* draft.

If my math is correct, six first-rounders have already played their way out of the league, and one of them will never be invited to the Knicks training camp.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Imagine if we had took Rip?

Imagine if we had took Rip?
    Or Artest....

That draft, like all drafts in this age, are all about "pick the raw talent with superstar potential" rather than "pick someone who'll be a solid contributor." Nobody wants to look back and see a name like Kobe Bryant or Pau Gasol one slot below their pick.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If my math is correct, six first-rounders have already played their way out of the league, and one of them will never be invited to the Knicks training camp.
    Rip Hamilton
    Andre Miller
    Shawn Marion
    Jason Terry
    Corey Maggette
    Ron Artest
    James Posey
    Andrei Kirilenko

You better being kidding on that being a lousy draft. I'm a big Bender supporter but those are all very solid to almost superstar type players. That draft has secretly been a spectacular draft.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Rip Hamilton
    Andre Miller
    Shawn Marion
    Jason Terry
    Corey Maggette
    Ron Artest
    James Posey
    Andrei Kirilenko

You better being kidding on that being a lousy draft. I'm a big Bender supporter but those are all very solid to almost superstar type players. That draft has secretly been a spectacular draft.
    Once you get beyond #10, that draft was awful.

A few of those guys you mentioned (Artest, Posey, Kirilenko) have proven they should have been taken in front of all these guys.

11. Trajan Langdon Duke Cleveland
    12. Aleksander Radojevic Barton County (KS) CC Toronto
    14. William Avery Duke Minnesota
    15. Frederic Weis Limoges (France) New York
    17. Cal Bowdler Old Dominion Atlanta
    19. Quincy Lewis Minnesota Utah
    20. Dion Glover Georgia Tech Atlanta
    25. Tim James Miami (FL) Miami
    26. Vonteego Cummings Pittsburgh Indiana
    27. Jumaine Jones Georgia Atlanta
    28. Scott Padgett Kentucky Utah
    29. Leon Smith King (IL) HS San Antonio

This draft was so bad that Foster probably should have been in the lottery.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Rip Hamilton
    Andre Miller
    Shawn Marion
    Jason Terry
    Corey Maggette
    Ron Artest
    James Posey
    Andrei Kirilenko

I notice you left off WallyWorld....

I feel the same way.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!