View Poll Results: Which Pacer was the best defensive player in 2008?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jermaine O'Neal

9 16.07%
  • Andre Owens

1 1.79%
  • Danny Granger

22 39.29%
  • Jeff Foster

24 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to the 2008 Pacers defensive player of the year- Jeff Foster!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Congrats to the 2008 Pacers defensive player of the year- Jeff Foster!

Here we go......

I realize this thread is going to get mocked a bit, but if I want to make this a yearly thing, gotta be consistent.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-19-2008 at 02:27 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: 2008 PD Indiana Pacers awards show: Defensive player of the year

If this isn't unanimous, it's a travesty.

There should be a "no Pacer" option. I guess Jeff, since he tries so hard and all.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

HAHAHAHAHAhahaha ... haha ... huh ... ... ... hurm.

Jeff Foster.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

um no.. while Jeff does play good D , he isn't quite the "defensive" player Danny Granger is ... Why do you think he is always put on the other team's best man.??

Also Jeff is more a rebounding monster than a defensive stopper..

while DG is the best defender , jeff is the best rebounder..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got Granger.

Probably JO had he played all year.

And Foster had really nice efforts, but Granger just flat out got it done.

..It was extremely tempting to pick Owens for kicks and giggles.

Yuck.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

DG is a respectable defender, so I had to go with him.

Could have voted for JO if he would have played all year.

Did not vote for Jeff because he is a good rebounder, but not a really strong presence in the middle.

Would have voted for Pollard if he was still on the team!

We all know our Defense sucked last year. I voted for Granger. I can't vote for Jeff because our biggest problem was our low post D. Our middle was softer than the Pillsbury dough boys belly when he is on a cookie bender

I can't vote for Danny because I feel like his defense has regressed every year in the league. I'm tempted to vote for Owens, but you have to actually play to play defense. So, taking a cue from Monty Brewster, I vote,

NONE OF THE ABOVE
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I can't vote for Danny because I feel like his defense has regressed every year in the league. I'm tempted to vote for Owens, but you have to actually play to play defense. So, taking a cue from Monty Brewster, I vote,

NONE OF THE ABOVE

I can agree with this. I feel like a Democrat in Michigan and only having Hillary on the ballad.

Didn't Kareem Rush go through a stretch where he was being acknowledged as
    our best perimeter defender?

I think he should at least get some sort of honorable mention. I hope we keep him.

Come on, even with the very legitimate complaints about health and availability, this HAS to go to Jermaine O'Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Come on, even with the very legitimate complaints about health and availability, this HAS to go to Jermaine O'Neal.
    Wait. Defensive player of THE YEAR, right? Travis Diener had a larger cumulative impact on this defense this year than JO did.

To me it's simply which player who was an Indiana Pacer this season was the best defensive player. That's JO.

This is hilarious.

Mood

The fact that Granger has 12 votes is embarrasing. I've seen him get blown by, and scored on with 25+ nites so much....it HAS to be Foster.

JO is not so distant, not so close 2nd.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

The return of JO showed us how important he is to our "defense" and how much his presence changes the game. Or is it that the presence of ANYBODY that can play defense would have that impact on this wofully inept defensive team???

At the least, he shows how important he is, so I give it to him. (If he hadn't have been healthy at the start of the year we wouldn't have won 20 games this year)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Gotta Play Big

Foster only because JO did not play enough games to qualify for any award attall.

Granger is not as good on D as I would have expected by this time...but can't be everything to everybody.

BTW, who's Andre Owens?...did he find the floor?....;<)

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

NONE OF THE ABOVE
    That's too easy. I actually did research and found out that Jeff has the best rebound stats so I voted for him. (Because when you play as crappy as the Pacers do the best defense is to keep the ball away from the other team.)

JO by a mile.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Wait. Defensive player of THE YEAR, right? Travis Diener had a larger cumulative impact on this defense this year than JO did.
    There is no question JO is the best defensive player on the team. That's easy. But you got it right. JO played in 16 games in 2008. 7 games in January, 0 in February, 1 in March and 8 in April (as a backup). Even if you assume the entire regular season, he played in 42 games with 1/3 of them on 1 leg.

...hmmm. I suppose even on one leg he is still the best defender on the floor.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    If this isn't unanimous, it's a travesty.
    I agree, but only a few of us noted that despite playing half a season JO was still clearly the biggest factor in the team playing zero defense vs almost watchable defense.

I know you might have meant Danny* and god knows I love the kid, but this year he has been IMPROVING, which implies that something needed improvement. Defensive awareness, resisting the shot fake/head fake, etc were all problems for him. He's got the tools, he's gotten better at using them, but he's not at the point still where he's making the most of them.

JO is A) stopping the shot B) taking the ball from the other team and C) giving a guy a foul every single time he takes a charge, and he did that 2-3 times a night all year long. Frankly that's just ridiculous. Pairing it with a couple of blocks too makes him by far the Pacers DPOY, even on half a season.

I mean the dude LED THE TEAM in total blocks in just 42 games, and if the stats cited on charges is right and he led the NBA in that in half a season it would seem to be to be unprecedented. And yet people watched this as Pacers fans and said "yeah, par for course, no biggie".

What, Reggie only went 4-7 from 3 tonight, what a bum.

* edit, you went with Jeff, my favorite Pacer for the last few years. He's decent at handling his own, not very good on help D, not a shot blocker, not quick enough to work PnR as well as you'd like. Dude rebounds. Perfect compliment to JO, not so great as your safety in the middle.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-19-2008 at 10:13 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I agree. That's why the defense SUCKED. JO was good enough to keep the Pacers from setting some kind of defensive sucking record even in just 42 games.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    That's too easy. I actually did research and found out that Jeff has the best rebound stats so I voted for him. (Because when you play as crappy as the Pacers do the best defense is to keep the ball away from the other team.)
    FTW
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-19-2008 at 10:10 PM.

If the question was "Who's the best defender on the Pacers," it's clearly JO.

But that whole "of the year" part would imply this year I believe. And this year, JO was a non-factor for our team.

So, therefore, it has to be the winner of the leper beauty pageant: Jeff Foster.