Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benny the Bull is at it again

Default Benny the Bull is at it again

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2429632.story

Oral surgeon says in suit that he was injured in high-five with Chicago Bulls mascot
    Benny the Bull hurt Naperville dentist's arm during game, claim says
    By Michael Higgins | Tribune reporter
    10:43 PM CDT, April 21, 2008
    Article tools
    E-mail Share
    Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Post comment Text size: A Naperville dentist called a flagrant foul on Chicago Bulls' mascot Benny the Bull on Monday, suing the team over a high-five gone awry.

Dr. Don Kalant Sr. alleged he was sitting near courtside on Feb. 12 when he raised his arm to get a high-five from Barry Anderson, who portrays the exuberant mascot in a bright red fuzzy costume.

But Kalant, an oral surgeon, may now wish he had settled for a fist-bump instead.

Instead of merely slapping Kalant's palm, Anderson grabbed his arm as he fell forward, hyperextending Kalant's arm and rupturing his biceps muscle, according to the lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court.

"Benny's flying down the aisle, giving everybody high-fives," Kalant's attorney, Shawn Kasserman, said Monday in a telephone interview. "When he gets to Dr. Kalant, he either inadvertently trips or, as part of the shtick, trips. . . . He grabbed Kalant's arm and fell forward."

Neither Chicago Bulls officials nor Anderson could be reached Monday evening for comment.

Kalant stayed for the rest of the game but later had surgery and could miss as much as four months of work, Kasserman said. Kalant is seeking unspecified damages for medical bills, physical pain and lost earnings. The lawsuit claims Anderson was negligent in either "falling forward while grabbing a fan's hand" or "running out of control" through the crowd.

The Bulls are legally responsible as Anderson's employer, the suit alleged.

Anderson made news in 2006 when, dressed as Benny, he was arrested for allegedly punching an off-duty Cook County sheriff's deputy who tried to stop him from riding a mini-motorcycle through Grant Park. The charges were later dropped.

mjhiggins@tribune.com

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Benny the Bull is at it again

That Bull needs to be stopped at all costs.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Just someone wanting to earn a quick buck, (or bull), even though it seems like he is well-to-do.

A Benny for Boomer trade is eminent

THAT IS BULL$&^T!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That Bull needs to be stopped at all costs.
    They could hire this guy to take care of him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Just someone wanting to earn a quick buck, (or bull), even though it seems like he is well-to-do.
    The guy, an oral surgeon, had surgery and missed 4 months of work as a result of the injury. What about that makes it seem like he is out to make a quick buck?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Yeah, a ruptured bicep is so easy to fake... it's right up there with a neck cast.

Accidents happen and I would think the Bulls have some kind of insurance policy that would cover this.

Mood

I'm damn near 100% positive that on all tickets to sporting events, there is a little phrase in the fine print that says that the team and arena are not liable for any and all injuries, including death.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    I'm damn near 100% positive that on all tickets to sporting events, there is a little phrase in the fine print that says that the team and arena are not liable for any and all injuries, including death.
    Can we say "loophole"? Looks like that guy is SOL. Benny the Bull dodges another bullet.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    The guy, an oral surgeon, had surgery and missed 4 months of work as a result of the injury. What about that makes it seem like he is out to make a quick buck?
    According to Salary.com, the average oral surgeon makes about $260,000 a year. Okay, based on how many patients he has, how well he is doing (and if he has been going to Bulls games sitting near the court, I assume he is at least in this average bracket), and how much he spends, I think it would be the least of his worries to take a few months off.

Most people in this occupation have their own health coverage that covers them in case of an accident. I'm sure as well he had a little vacation time, too.

My mother works in a dentist office and her doctor takes at least 4 vacations a year, has 2 Corvettes, and a daughter in Dental School. He is still well-to-do, and doesn't see as many patients especially since Bloomington is only 20 minutes away, and swarming with dentists.

I am sure that this guy did not lose much being out of work.

My conclusion is that people are so sue happy now, they will do anything to make a little extra scrill.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Um, no.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Um, no.
    u sure? go look at the back of a ticket u have lying around, i don't have any
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

There is a disclaimer, on my IU student tickets. However it reads to me as a suggestion that any injury resulting directly from the game is a risk assumed by the ticket holder. I don't believe it would apply to a mascot caused injury, at least the way it is worded on my IU tickets.
    They could possibly argue that the oral surgeon bears just as much responsibility as Benny because he also held out his hand for a high five. Either way, I don't think the Bulls have much of a leg to stand on, and I would imagine they do have an insurance policy for them.

My ticket says the following related to this issue:

--------------------
    THE HOLDER OF THIS TICKET VOLUNTARILY ASSUMES ALL RISK AND DANGER of personal injury (including death) and all hazards arising from, or related in any way to, the Event, whether occurring prior to, during, or after the Event, howsoever caused and whether by negligence or otherwise.
    --------------------

Seems a bit shady to me (if you want to get into minor conspiracy theory, or the potential of it), but that is what they say. That is, if they assume "all hazards...related in any way to the Event" to include the dead-ball stuff.

According to Salary.com, the average oral surgeon makes about $260,000 a year. Okay, based on how many patients he has, how well he is doing (and if he has been going to Bulls games sitting near the court, I assume he is at least in this average bracket), and how much he spends, I think it would be the least of his worries to take a few months off.

Most people in this occupation have their own health coverage that covers them in case of an accident. I'm sure as well he had a little vacation time, too.

My mother works in a dentist office and her doctor takes at least 4 vacations a year, has 2 Corvettes, and a daughter in Dental School. He is still well-to-do, and doesn't see as many patients especially since Bloomington is only 20 minutes away, and swarming with dentists.

I am sure that this guy did not lose much being out of work.

My conclusion is that people are so sue happy now, they will do anything to make a little extra scrill.
    Of course this would indicate that four months of lost work would cost him almost $87,000 in income...theoretically.

Mood

to me, the Bulls will probably just say the mascot and his antics are part of the game and the guy was playing along with him when he got injured
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    My ticket says the following related to this issue:

--------------------
    THE HOLDER OF THIS TICKET VOLUNTARILY ASSUMES ALL RISK AND DANGER of personal injury (including death) and all hazards arising from, or related in any way to, the Event, whether occurring prior to, during, or after the Event, howsoever caused and whether by negligence or otherwise.
    --------------------

Seems a bit shady to me (if you want to get into minor conspiracy theory, or the potential of it), but that is what they say. That is, if they assume "all hazards...related in any way to the Event" to include the dead-ball stuff.
    I knew I had seen stuff like that.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Of course this would indicate that four months of lost work would cost him almost $87,000 in income...theoretically.
    Yeah, but I bet he has been doing it for years. This guy just wants money.

to me, the Bulls will probably just say the mascot and his antics are part of the game and the guy was playing along with him when he got injured
    The mascot is a part of the team. This guy didn't get acosted by the mascot. He participated in an activity with the mascot in result he "injured" himself. He maybe is just a weak man.

Right so because the guy has made a lot of money and done well for his life he shouldn't be able to sue? What the hell is that? Lets see a surgeon suffers a severe arm injury and misses four months of work, I'd say he has every right to recover his lost wages. Not to mention who knows what kind of complications may arise for him in his career in the future.

Yeah, but I bet he has been doing it for years. This guy just wants money.

The mascot is a part of the team. This guy didn't get acosted by the mascot. He participated in an activity with the mascot in result he "injured" himself. He maybe is just a weak man.
    Yeah, because we have never seen anyone get injured in a freak play or something of that nature. Anyone who suffers a freak injury must just be weak.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Right so because the guy has made a lot of money and done well for his life he shouldn't be able to sue? What the hell is that? Lets see a surgeon suffers a severe arm injury and misses four months of work, I'd say he has every right to recover his lost wages. Not to mention who knows what kind of complications may arise for him in his career in the future.
    theres no way he wins this lawsuit. i gurantee the bulls ticket have that same claim as the pacers' do
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I bet you it never even makes it to court. I'd bet money that the Bulls settle with him out of court. They don't need the bad press.

Mood

This guy doesn't have a leg to stand on if the back of the Bulls tickets look like this.

THE HOLDER OF THIS TICKET VOLUNTARILY ASSUMES ALL RISK AND DANGER of personal injury (including death) and all hazards arising from, or related in any way to, the Event, whether occuring prior to, during, or after the Event, howsoever caused and whether by neglegence or otherwise.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 04-24-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You can put anything you want on a sign or on the back of a ticket, it doesn't mean jack squat if a court finds you negligent.

You know how on the back of dump trucks they have a sign that says, "Not responsible for windshields"? Well, Indiana State Law states otherwise!

As I mentioned, you can put whatever you want on a sign...that is just a deterent to keep people from seeking what their legal rights are.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74