Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTF!!!!!!

Default WTF!!!!!!

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/153452-9464-179.html

Indiana Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird says the NBA lacks white superstars, and his sentiment seems echoed by fellow Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, who is a Los Angeles Lakers co-owner and vice president.

In an interview for an ESPN special set to air at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jim Gray asks Bird: "Does the NBA lack enough white superstars in your opinion?"

"Well, I think so," Bird replies, according to an ESPN transcript. "You know when I played, you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because as we all know the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Johnson then adds: "We need some more LB's, Larry Birds. I mean you know, you want that. Larry Bird, you see, can go into any neighborhood. When you say 'Larry Bird,' black people know who he is, Hispanics, whites, and they give him the respect."

Bird also says that when he was playing he "really got irritated" when a white player guarded him.

"I still don't understand why," he says. "I didn't care who guarded me -- red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."

Bird on Tuesday declined to comment further, according to a Pacers spokesman.

Johnson was unavailable for comment. NBA commissioner David Stern declined to comment.

NBA officials said the league does not maintain a breakdown of players by race.

Spurred by ESPN executive vice president Mark Shapiro's promise of a prime-time show, Gray spent four months arranging Thursday's one-hour special.

He finally got the Hall of Famers and the rookie stars together for "Two On Two," which was taped May 28 at an old high school gym in Indiana.

Why was this even a question? This is why ESPN is crap.

Of course Bird should have answered with "What the hell differance does it make what color a player is" But, no.

Thank you Larry for further pushing along the Indiana stereotype. n:

Having a white player guard him was a disrespect to him? Actually it was a white player that disrespected his game & usually caused him the most problems by the name of Bobby Jones.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: WTF!!!!!!

i just read that and i could only echo peck - WTF???

the first part is borderline ok since it probably is true from a marketing standpoint even if it's not politically correct. but that comment about a white guy defending him really threw me off. for god's sake he's a big figure in the basketball world and ought to have more sense.

well, to be fair, these appear to be excerpts from the full interview. we probably should get them in context before judging.

in the meantime... WTF???

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not very PC , but it's the truth.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Question: Why was that question even asked. It serves only 1 purpose. To stir shyte. There is no way to answer that quesiton w/o setting yourself up for trouble.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Nerd.
    Mood

Not very PC , but it's the truth.
    The first part is not PC, but is close to the truth, if not the truth...

The second part is assinine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question: Why was that question even asked. It serves only 1 purpose. To stir shyte. There is no way to answer that quesiton w/o setting yourself up for trouble.
    Jim Gray

'nuff said.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I read this and thought the same thing - WTF?

I disagree that it pushes the "Indiana" stereotype whatever that is. Magic agreed with Bird 100%. As far as the 2nd part - I don't know what Bird was thinking.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

It's not like Paul Hornung's comments, but I know a lot of people probably will be offended by this. I don't think it's a big deal at all, but you know ESPN will make it one.

I don't think it is that big a deal what Bird said. Everyone is so hyper sensitive now a days. You can't even mention anything about race anymore. My guess is Bird was being light hearted in his answer, we'll see when they show him actually saying it. Magic said the same thing basically.

I have gotten to the point in the NBA where I can honestly say skin color of a player does not come into play when identifying differences in a player - then these old school players have to resurrect the past. Dumb!

sweabs

WTF!

Well, whatever makes him happy....

I bet this means we are going to trade for a white SG or something...of course if he's better than MJ then I'm all for it...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

This one is for FTC. "You can take the white guy off the garbage truck but you can't take the garbage out of the white guy". Sorry I couldn't resist.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

sweabs

This one is for FTC. "You can take the white guy off the garbage truck but you can't take the garbage out of the white guy". Sorry I couldn't resist.
    You forgot to leave some blanks to make things interesting

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Does this mean Peja, Dirk Nowitski and Steve Nash will be Pacers soon?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two words: Brent Barry

Will Larry's and Magic's comments be DELORTED!!! (couldn't resist ) when they air the interview?

I agree with Larry, it's just that it's not the NBA's fault, some of it is white guys aren't that good overall, as most of us aren't very athletic.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Peck said:
    Thank you Larry for further pushing along the Indiana stereotype.

This is one of the main reasons I never liked him - people look at Bird and think that is how we ig-ner-ent Hoosier are. I am from Letterman's Indiana, not Bird's thank you very much.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Peck said:
    Thank you Larry for further pushing along the Indiana stereotype.

This is one of the main reasons I never liked him - people look at Bird and think that is how we ig-ner-ent Hoosier are. I am from Letterman's Indiana, not Bird's thank you very much.
    I saw Letterman belch last night on TV.

hmmmm

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The last part made me think of a quote from Navin R. Johnson in "The Jerk", which I dare not post here as I do not wish to cause an uproar......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Jim Gray

'nuff said.
    Yep. Which amazes me that Bird was even there, I know he hates that guy (at least a little).

*groan*

The question we should ask ourselves here:

Does this mean...

A) Bird will try to bring in a good white player

or

B) Bird won't because he doesn't think there are any (atleast to choose from) good white players.

Bird references his day and only comes up with two? and only those two on his team? I think ROC has it right. Will this lack of judgment have a negative effect on the players the Pacers consider trading/trading for/signing.

And I do think it just adds to the ignorant Indiana hick stereo-type. It certainly doesn't refute it.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

too many people ..tooo sensitive

What does that make Magic since he agreed with Bird ?

How is Austin Croshere supposed to feel? That was Bird's boy. We all knew why he picked him - interesting he actually verbalizes it. I wonder what this does to this year's draft.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.