Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

  1. #1

    Default Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3361271

    Running back Shaun Alexander was released by the Seattle Seahawks Tuesday, according to multiple sources.

    Running On Empty?

    Before his release, Alexander had to take a procedural physical in order to facilitate the termination of his contract. He took that physical Tuesday afternoon. He's recovering from wrist surgery and has been waiting for his left wrist to heal before he can start visiting teams that might be interested in signing him.

    Alexander's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press Tuesday that "an announcement is pending" about Alexander's future with the Seahawks.

    Alexander is expected to issue a statement early Tuesday evening, and Seahawks management is expected to be available for comment after 7 p.m. ET. Alexander leaves Seattle on good terms after being the team's all-time leading rusher. Two years of injuries plus the fact he's 30 years old led to his exit.

    General manager Tim Ruskell, a big supporter of Alexander, signed Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett to replace him. The only holdup in Alexander's release was his wrist, which plagued him most of the 2007 season.

    Alexander, who is signed through 2010, is scheduled to make $4.475 million this season. The Seahawks have two possible ways of releasing him. They could simply terminate his contract. If they do that, they would have a cap loss of $125,000.

    Or, Seattle could release him under a June 2 designation in which they would put the $4.475 million salary on the 2008 cap and then be responsible for $4.6 million on their 2009 cap. With more than $12 million of cap room remaining, the Seahawks may simply give him his outright release and take the cap hits this season.

    A former first-round choice of the Seahawks, Alexander rushed for 9,429 yards and scored 100 touchdowns in eight seasons.

    He's told teammates there might be interest from teams such as the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts, although he's just beginning his first venture into free agency.

    John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
    Do you guys think he would be a good fit for the Colts?

    I'm wondering how much money he is looking for.

  2. #2
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Good veteran backup to Addai. At least he is better than Kloud 9 Keith.

    The only downside to this is that Shawn probably won't be too keen on being a backup.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 04-22-2008 at 07:34 PM.

  3. #3
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    1,968

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    If the Jets don't pick Darren McFadden he would be great in New York!!!

  4. #4
    Never Give Up aero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,343
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good veteran backup to Addai. At least he is better than Kloud 9 Keith.

    The only downside to this is that Shawn probably won't be too keen on being a backup.
    this is true
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

  5. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,804

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    I'd take him just to keep him away from NE. We don't need to be burned on another Moss-type deal again.

  6. #6
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Yeah, that could happen. I think it would be great to at least invite him to training camp.

  7. #7
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,917

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Alexander still has something left in the tank. I agree with the sentiment that it is worth grabbing him just so he doesn't go to the Pats.

  8. #8
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Go get him!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  9. #9
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alexander still has something left in the tank. I agree with the sentiment that it is worth grabbing him just so he doesn't go to the Pats.
    You can have him. Alexander is washed up..and I don't ever think he was as good as his statistics made him out to be. He ran behind one of the more dominant lines of the decade back during his MVP year. Not only that, he now goes down easy on contact, isn't quick or fast, and isn't even good in short yardage situations. I suppose he'd be an above average backup at the right price but any team expecting MVP form Alexander or anywhere close to it will be in for a big surprise when they give him more then 4-5 million a year.

  10. #10
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    As long as you don't expect him to be one of your top guys, I think you get him if you can.

  11. #11
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,783

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    shaun would definitely be an improvement over keith.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  12. #12
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    shaun would definitely be an improvement over keith.
    Exactly. Instead of worrying about getting a RB in the draft to run out there behind JA, it would be great if we could use him as a third string to gain some experience behind Alexander. I think we should go for it.

    Sign him to a short contract, rehabilitate that wrist, see how he goes in training camp. He may be what we are looking for to help keep Addai healthy. That is the primary concern. Not having #29 in those couple of games really didn't help us much.

  13. #13
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    The key to picking up Alexander is that we can use the second round pick on something other than a running back.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #14
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,663

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    shaun would definitely be an improvement over keith.
    Exactly.

    If you have a chance to sign him, then you do it.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  15. #15
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    I say no. My heart was thinking yes, but my head said no. My logic:
    If he was as good as he once was would Seattle waive him (NO)
    The NFL is a game of speed and he has lost a step over the years.
    He is injury prone. If we invest money in him and he goes down we are in deep trouble at RB.

  16. #16
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Deep trouble at RB if he goes down?

    You really trying to sell that having Addai as a starter with no Alexander is deep trouble?

    Or are you saying that backups like Keith are too hard to find and he's too good to try and get him?

    I mean Keith was only playing in the CFL two years ago, he's a sure fire lock to be a HOF'er.

  17. #17
    Member tdubb03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    I don't think there's any possible way we get Alexander. Someone will give him at least a chance to compete for a starting job, we can't even do that. Let alone the money he'll probably demand.

  18. #18
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deep trouble at RB if he goes down?

    You really trying to sell that having Addai as a starter with no Alexander is deep trouble?

    Or are you saying that backups like Keith are too hard to find and he's too good to try and get him?

    I mean Keith was only playing in the CFL two years ago, he's a sure fire lock to be a HOF'er.
    Drama Mamma, have you ever played football? Do you watch every Colts game? R U a season ticketholder?

    Look at Addai's history? Go back to his days at LSU. When has he ever been an every down back? NEVER.
    Keith is a fine back up. That is it.
    If the Colts sign Alexander they will part ways with Keith (AGREED)
    Alexander goes down they have to find another capable back. The only way to to acquire is a capable back up midway thru the season is via trade.

  19. #19
    Get well PG! DGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Whiteland, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,055

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    I love how the Colts and Patriots can now be the Spurs and Celtics of the NFL. Veterans just flocking to them just for a shot at a ring.

    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin


  20. #20
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Obviously you don't follow much LSU football or you'd know they don't have just one option to use in the backfield.

    Also, if you knew anything about Addai while he was at LSU, you would know that he was recruited as a QB, then switched to WR, then to HB, before they even slotted him in at FB.

    Also, if you knew anything about the Colts and why they chose Addai, you would have read somewhere a quote from Dungy talking about because he played so many different positions, and played all of them at a high level, that he fit the Colts better than anyother back because it showed how intelligent he was on the field.

    Keith is an average backup that can be found a lot of different places, obviously due to his age and that the Colts signed him from the CANADIAN LEAGUE. He wasn't even an NFL player.

    Keep up with the insults my man, they along with how inaccurate posts show just how clueless you are.

    PS, how did Butler going deep in the tourney work out for you?

  21. #21
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Since, the insults are probably coming your way because of the unnecessarily combative way you argued your point. Jon made an innocent comment, and you came at him like he'd just committed a felony. I'm just speaking for me, but this forum would be a lot more enjoyable if you toned it down sometimes. Also, as Seth commented in a different thread, it would help you stay on-point when arguing.

    Just my $0.02.


    Edit: This post was made w/o a knowledge of whatever it was in the post that Peck had to delete.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 04-25-2008 at 12:09 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  22. #22
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously you don't follow much LSU football or you'd know they don't have just one option to use in the backfield.

    Also, if you knew anything about Addai while he was at LSU, you would know that he was recruited as a QB, then switched to WR, then to HB, before they even slotted him in at FB.

    Also, if you knew anything about the Colts and why they chose Addai, you would have read somewhere a quote from Dungy talking about because he played so many different positions, and played all of them at a high level, that he fit the Colts better than anyother back because it showed how intelligent he was on the field.

    Keith is an average backup that can be found a lot of different places, obviously due to his age and that the Colts signed him from the CANADIAN LEAGUE. He wasn't even an NFL player.

    Keep up with the insults my man, they along with how inaccurate posts show just how clueless you are.

    PS, how did Butler going deep in the tourney work out for you?
    Since '86
    I have taken hit for my Butler in the final four prediction before and went over it as follows. I posted that thread before the loss to Drake. I said if Butler got a high seed & some luck they would make the final four. Those kids represented everything I root for in college basketball. Bad mouth them all you want but Drew Stricher graduated college w/ a 4.0 w/ a degree in Chemistry.
    Now on to this topic:
    My logic is this if the Colts do sign Alexander they will cut ways with K Keith. K Keith will get signed by another team b/c he played very well last year. I never called him a HOF'er but he is a very capable back up.
    Addai is not an every down back he has never been an every down back. In fact he got injured last year and has taken a lot of hits in his two year career.
    If Alexander goes down we will need to find a capable back and the only way to do that would via trade.
    I have been going to Colts games since 1986. When the only team we would beat was The Buc's in the bright orange and St Louis Cardinals. I will play you in college pick em w/ a spread this year on yahoo fantasy if you would like and we can see who knows more about college football.

  23. #23
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Keith isn't too bad, I would assume if we were to accuire Alexander he would either go or get pushed back. I wouldn't mind keeping him, I just don't know.

    On Addai, yes. He gets almost every down and easlily wears out. You can see it. He is a very good back, but you can't get one of your star players worn out and injured early in the season. Keith filled in and did what he could, that was nice, but he still can't take every play.

    I am on the sign Shawn Alexander bandwagon now.

  24. #24
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Obviously you didn't call him a HOF'er. It's called hyperbole.

    The player that Keith is, is a dime a dozen. He doesn't catch out of the backfield very well, he isn't spectacular at blocking, and he had the tendancy to put the ball on the ground after handoffs.

    What's the big deal? He's already in his 30's, and Indy is his only stop in the NFL.

    MY POINT is that the caliber of player that Keith is, is pretty replaceable. Why waste a draft pick on a backup, when you can sign a player like Shaun? Use the draft pick for help on the O-line, something that all backs need.

    I could step into Denver and be a 1,000 yd rusher. Why? Because of their line. Save the pick for something that helps you on every offensive down, instead of a backup.
    Last edited by Since86; 04-25-2008 at 01:56 PM.

  25. #25
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,188

    Default Re: Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

    Don't know what's transpired as far as the Warrick Dunn situation, but I think I'd rather have him than Alexander. What I've seen from Alexander over the last season and a half or so screams done to me.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

Similar Threads

  1. Sources: Talks between Mavs, Nets heat up
    By Young in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •