Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I did not know about the shot clock...

Default Something I did not know about the shot clock...

http://www.blogmaverick.com/2008/04/21/an-nba-fun-fact/

Thought about putting it in the playoffs thread, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's given up on trying to keep up with that monster.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Something I did not know about the shot clock...

I understand that he should know better than me, but I seriously believe he's mistaken.

As I understand it, the shot clock represents the displayed number of seconds left at X.0 .

Meaning 24 = 24.0 seconds, and when it changes to display "23", that happens not at 23.9 or 23.8, 23.7, 23.6, ..., 23.1, but at exactly 23.0.

That's why the shot block buzzer sounds IMMEDIATELY upon displaying "0" because it doesn't show "0" until it's actually 0.0 seconds left. It only changes to "1" at 1.0 seconds.

I'm very confident about this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand that he should know better than me, but I seriously believe he's mistaken.

As I understand it, the shot clock represents the displayed number of seconds left at X.0 .

Meaning 24 = 24.0 seconds, and when it changes to display "23", that happens not at 23.9 or 23.8, 23.7, 23.6, ..., 23.1, but at exactly 23.0.

That's why the shot block buzzer sounds IMMEDIATELY upon displaying "0" because it doesn't show "0" until it's actually 0.0 seconds left. It only changes to "1" at 1.0 seconds.

Oh, I know that rule very clearly, Mal....

The infamous Jermaine O'Neal buzzer beater 5 years ago that took the refs 18 minutes to make the wrong call is still fresh in my memory.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

The infamous Jermaine O'Neal buzzer beater 5 years ago that took the refs 18 minutes to make the wrong call is still fresh in my memory.
    Do I have it right, or does Cuban have it right?

Surely a 24 second shot clock isn't actually closer to 25 seconds? Besides, his explanation doesn't fit because when the shot clock hit's 0 the buzzer immediately sounds, yet he suggests when it hits 0 it's at 0.9.

Seeing this thread title reminded me of UncleBuck's most famous typo ever.

Anybody got a link? Searching doesn't show much.
    Last edited by Anthem; 04-21-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Do I have it right, or does Cuban have it right?

Surely a 24 second shot clock isn't actually closer to 25 seconds? Besides, his explanation doesn't fit because when the shot clock hit's 0 the buzzer immediately sounds, yet he suggests when it hits 0 it's at 0.9.
    No, you have it right.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Surely a 24 second shot clock isn't actually closer to 25 seconds?
    That's not what Cuban is saying.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Surely a 24 second shot clock isn't actually closer to 25 seconds?
    Does it really matter if all the clocks are the same?

Jesus, I forgot about that game. Man...I miss our rivalry...I can't believe that was five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Does it really matter if all the clocks are the same?
    That wouldn't be what would bother me. If you're going to have 24.9 seconds, go ahead and round it to 25 and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That's not what Cuban is saying.
    He did say it starts at 24.9, correct? 24.9 is closer to 25.0 than 24.0.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Until I hear otherwise, I'm just going to say that Cuban is wrong on top of other things.

That's why it is a 24 second shot clock.

Kstat, your right....it did take that official's crew 18 mins to blow that call. The only thing that holds that to memory is that being J.O.'s only game winner that I can remember. If I'm missing one, let me know.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

Kstat, your right....it did take that official's crew 18 mins to blow that call. The only thing that holds that to memory is that being J.O.'s only game winner that I can remember. If I'm missing one, let me know.
    The scenario played out thus:

The Pacers got a rebound with and called timeout with 24.1 seconds left.

JO's game winning shot left his fingertips with 0.3 seconds left, but the shot clock clearly showed "00."

Instead of just looking at the stupid shot clock, the officials reasoned that if the shot clock started at 24.1, their eyes were obviously playing tricks on them and it wasn't a violation.

What they didn't take into account, as Mal stated, was that the shot clock was not a FULL 24 seconds on the inbound pass. Since it takes a minimum of 0.3 seconds to take posession and call timeout, there was ACTUALLY 23.7 seconds on the shot clock, even though the clock read "24."

Of course, nobody with a brain was paying attention that night, and after 18 minutes they made the wrong damn call.

Mal

I think, internally,the shot clock counts from 24.9 to 0.9. The alternative to this would be to put tenths of seconds on the shot clock. But what we see is round numbers on the shot clock (24,23,22,....09,08,0,....02,01).

Regards

Pacerwaala

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    Mal

I think, internally,the shot clock counts from 24.9 to 0.9. The alternative to this would be to put tenths of seconds on the shot clock. But what we see is round numbers on the shot clock (24,23,22,....09,08,0,....02,01).

Regards

Pacerwaala
    If that were true you'd be hearing the buzzer go off 0.9 seconds after the shot clock hits 00, which anybody that's been to an NBA game will tell you is totally untrue.

Going back into hiding RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

I see what he (Cuban) is saying, and it does make perfect sense.

It is that way so the shot clock can display counting down 24 seconds and
    have the shot clock buzzer sound at the moment the shot clock turns to 0,
    rather than have 0 displayed for .9 seconds before the shot clock buzzer
    sounds.

The game clock takes precedence anyway, so it's nothing to really split hairs
    over.

If that were true you'd be hearing the buzzer go off 0.9 seconds after the shot clock hits 00, which anybody that's been to an NBA game will tell you is totally untrue.
    When the shot clock hits 00 (changes from 01 to 00), 24 seconds have transpired (from 24.9 to 0.9). So the buzzer sounds as soon as 24 seconds have transpired.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    When the shot clock hits 00 (changes from 01 to 00), 24 seconds have transpired (from 24.9 to 0.9). So the buzzer sounds as soon as 24 seconds have transpired.
    OK, you're splitting the thinnest hair in the history of the universe.

saying the clock goes from 24.9 to 0.9 is not at all different than saying the clock goes from 24.0 to 0.0. It's the same damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    The only thing that holds that to memory is that being J.O.'s only game winner that I can remember. If I'm missing one, let me know.
    Define "game-winner." If you mean "shot that wins the game as time expires" then Mike Jordan only had 8.

http://www.nba.com/jordan/game_winners.html

82games says Jermaine has 2 (although they use a different definition), as of Feb 2006:

http://www.82games.com/random12.htm
    Last edited by Anthem; 04-21-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

saying the clock goes from 24.9 to 0.9 is not at all different than saying the clock goes from 24.0 to 0.0. It's the same damn thing.
    I think that's the point.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It's the same difference, but it makes no sense to have it "secretly" run from 24.9 to 0.9. There's no point in doing that when you can simply have it run from 24.0 to 0.0.

To use some hyperbole, it'd be like running the clock for each quarter of basketball from 21:00.0 to 09:00.0 and stopping there. Technically it's still 12 minutes, but it's wacky and unnecessary to do it that way.

Mood

Sports Logo

It's the same difference, but it makes no sense to have it "secretly" run from 24.9 to 0.9. There's no point in doing that when you can simply have it run from 24.0 to 0.0.

To use some hyperbole, it'd be like running the clock for each quarter of basketball from 21:00.0 to 09:00.0 and stopping there. Technically it's still 12 minutes, but it's wacky and unnecessary to do it that way.
    Mal, I see what you are saying.

But since the actual shot clock display does not show the 1/10s (0.x) of
    seconds, then as it ran out it would be sitting on 0.x for 1 second before
    the buzzer sounds if it was how you describe.

The intent is for the buzzer to sound at the moment the timer display changes
    from 1 to 0, rather than displaying 0 for a second before buzzing.

The player who glances up at the shot clock isn't going to have time to process
    tenths of seconds ticking off anyway - all he knows is that he must get the shot
    off before zero is displayed. And it's probably to make things simpler for the Refs
    too.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 04-22-2008 at 01:22 AM.

Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar

If the Shot clock started off at 24 (aka 23.9999999999999999999999) then we would never see the 24. The display would start on 23. I'm with Cuban (and RamBo Lamar) on the 24.9. And like Cuban said, the buzzer sounds at .9 just when the display clicks to zero. That leaves a total of 24 seconds. It may seem silly but it gets the 24 seconds across.

I still remember being at that game and telling all the pacers fans around me that JO's shot should not count - it was the wrong call. Who knew that one bad call that went in the pacers favor would be the last break the Pacers ever got

Mood

Sports Logo

Actually, it wouldn't be the exactly the same moment the clock switched from
    1 to 0 that the buzzer would sound - the 0 would be displayed for .1 second
    before the buzzer sounded.

But for the sake of conveying the concept, "at the same moment" is close
    enough.