Thread: Isiah's Still Working for the Knicks?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Isiah's Still Working for the Knicks?

I thought it was clear that the Knicks were severing ties with Isiah Thomas. Well it looks like he wasn't fired but he's been reassigned. This is a bizarre move.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8...away-from-team

Report: Knicks tell Thomas to stay away from team
    by FOXSports.com

Isiah Thomas will be barred from having any contact with the team as part of his reassignment agreement with New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh, The Daily News reported Tuesday.

The decision is believed to have been made with an eye toward eliminating potential distractions for the Knicks' new coach. Thomas acquired every player on the current roster and the fear is he could undermine the incoming coach.

Thomas will continue to have contact with Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, who has long supported him, the paper reported.

Walsh removed Thomas as coach last week, and various reports have the Knicks turning their attention to Mark Jackson as a successor now that the Milwaukee Bucks have signed Scott Skiles.

Jackson has not yet met with Walsh for a formal interview, but that could happen this week. Walsh met with Herb Williams on Monday to discuss the longtime assistant coach's future.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Default Re: Isiah's Still Working for the Knicks?

Isiah has a good eye in the draft, I think, but its not worth it to keep him on because him being in the building IS a distraction. I understand not wanting to pay him for nothing, but its actually better if he just leaves and never comes back.

He's cost Dolan so much already, just pay him and be done with it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Isiah has a good eye in the draft, I think, but its not worth it to keep him on because him being in the building IS a distraction. I understand not wanting to pay him for nothing, but its actually better if he just leaves and never comes back.

He's cost Dolan so much already, just pay him and be done with it.
    Yeah, I'm shocked that they would even consider keeping with the organization. You're supposed to remove the cancer and not just move it to a different part of the body.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

My first thought was that there is a behind-the-scenes deal between Stern and the Knicks to lock Isiah up in some broom closet for the rest of his contract so that he can't go and destroy some other Team/League.

Raptors - Check
    CBA - Check
    Pacers - Check
    Knicks - Check
    NEXT??????

Now if they end up with the first pick in the draft we know this deal is for real!!!

Obviously Nap has me on Ignore. I brought this up in the ISIAH'S BEEN FIRED thread. Getting paid to keep working isn't getting fired.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Obviously Nap has me on Ignore. I brought this up in the ISIAH'S BEEN FIRED thread. Getting paid to keep working isn't getting fired.
    Nope, I don't have anyone on ignore. I actually like you. I checked the thread but missed your "pithy" insight.

I also thought it was interesting that they're keeping him with the team but telling him not to talk to any of the players. What type of crap is that? I'm finally starting to believe that Donnie Walsh is losing his grip. Either that or no matter who you are, as soon as you step foot in the NY front office all your decision-making abilities turn to crap.

Maybe the owner who has always been extremely loyal to Isiah, made a deal with Donnie, he can have full authority as long as he keeps Isiah with the franchise - Isiah just cannot talk to any of the players.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The word all along was that he was staying with the team in this type of capacity. The only "news" here was the ominous statement of "don't contact the players at all", not something you would say to a normal advisor/scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The word all along was that he was staying with the team in this type of capacity. The only "news" here was the ominous statement of "don't contact the players at all", not something you would say to a normal advisor/scout.
    True, which leads one to wonder what exactly IS Zeke's role with the Knicks franchise these days? I don't even think "they" know what to do with him.

This is probably about money. I think he has 2 or 3 years left at a pretty substantial sum. They probably want him to resign so they won't owe him anything.

When he gets tired of sorting the mail, he may quit and move on. Who would hire him though?
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Have you ever wanted something so much, it made you shake?

I'm having trouble typing this, because I just realized I really, really want Isiah to be the new Knicks mascot.

Trampoline dunks.

Even better if they brought him out during timeouts just so people could boo, jeer, and laugh.

Isiah with a shirt cannon and a big stupid smile seems soooo right.