Thread: Update on Tamika

woman without a team

Default Update on Tamika

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...12/1287/SPORTS

Catchings on mend as camp arrives

By Kristen Leigh Porter
    kristen.leigh.porter@indystar.com

It was a surreal sight, even for a coach with four decades of experience.

Indiana Fever coach Lin Dunn visited Tamika Catchings shortly after the Fever star had surgery in September to repair her torn right Achilles tendon. The 6-1 forward wore a soft cast on her right leg and a boot on her left foot, where she previously had suffered a partially torn plantar fascia that caused her to miss the final 13 games of the regular season.

"She was definitely horizontal," Dunn said. "I think it's amazing to see where she was and where she is now and how hard she's worked to get there."

As WNBA training camps open today, Dunn doesn't expect Catchings to be available for early-season games. Catchings will be in camp but remains on her own rehabilitation workout regimen. No target date is set for her return.

The face of a franchise that was one win from its first trip to the WNBA Finals last season, Catchings averaged 16.6 points and 9.0 rebounds in the regular season and 15.8 points and 11.0 rebounds for six playoff games.

"I feel good. I've come a long way and am back on the court doing stuff," said Catchings, who is rehabbing several times a week. "I'm not 100 percent, but the biggest thing for me is cardio, just getting my wind back."

Fever players will meet today and begin practice Monday.

"Personally, I'd love to be back in uniform and start the season off with a bang," Catchings said. "It just takes time for something like this to heal."

Said Dunn: "We're not going to put any pressure on her . . . The last thing we want to have happen is for her to go too fast and that set her back."

Returning Fever players Alison Bales and Kasha Terry also will be at camp. All other veterans are still overseas playing in foreign leagues until early May, including offseason addition Katie Douglas, a standout at Perry Meridian High School and Purdue. Douglas is playing in Spain and will arrive the second week of May.

Prospective players reporting to camp include seven free agents or rookies: LaToya Bond, Stephanie Higgs, Jennifer Humphrey, Erin Lawless, Khadijah Whittington, Angelina Williams and Michelle Woods. There is the possibility of two or three available spots.

"I think what happens when you do have spots available is that it makes training camp extremely intense with lots of high energy," Dunn said.

Lawless, a former Purdue player, was waived in camp last season after suffering a concussion that limited her ability to play.

From August 2007 through the beginning of this month, Lawless played in Italy. She learned from the experience and believes she can help the Fever.

"I really like to use my versatility," she said. "One of the better things about me is not only am I a post player and strong physical presence inside, but I can go out and hit the 3 or a jump shot and drive to the basket."

Humphrey, who starred at the University of Kentucky, also was waived late in Fever camp last year.

woman without a team

Default Re: Update on Tamika

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/train...mp_update.html

Training Camp Update

April 30, 2008
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Indiana Fever has waived Michelle Woods, trimming its training camp roster to 10 active participants prior to Saturday’s preseason opener in Milwaukee, against the Chicago Sky.
    Also in Fever camp is veteran forward Tamika Catchings, who continues her rehabilitation of an Achilles tendon injury sustained during Game 3 of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals at Detroit.

Active veterans in camp include Alison Bales and Kasha Terry, and guard Tan White, who practiced for the first time on Monday after returning from overseas play in Latvia. The remainder of Indiana’s training camp roster is comprised of rookies and free agents, including second-round draft pick Khadijah Whittington.

woman without a team

Here's Tamika's blog from a couple days before the season started.

http://my.wnba.com/forum.jspa?forumI...001504&start=0

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give you an update on my health and what's up for the coming season. So here goes…

I'm definitely not gonna play the first two games. And we'll see about the third and fourth games after that. It's really a day-by-day situation right now… some days it seems like my Achilles is really close and other days it doesn't. I actually practiced with the team on Tuesday and Wednesday and things felt pretty good. It got a little swollen, but my doctor says that's pretty normal. So I took it easier yesterday.

Anyway, I went to the doctor today and am scheduled to go back there next week, so we'll see how things are then. The doc says things are healing the way they're supposed to. The swelling happens all the time and it's a little frustrating, but the fact is… it's gonna take a little more time. We're definitely on the right track. And that makes me confident.

So the season tips off tomorrow. And we're at home, which always helps. It should be an interesting game against Washington. But like I said, I've been watching my team a lot. And we'll be in good shape. We didn't fare too well in the preseason, but it was tough with so many free agents coming in for training camp and being without so many of the veterans until just recently.

But now Katie Douglas is here from Spain and she practiced today. Ebony Hoffman and Tammy Sutton-Brown are back from Turkey. We're getting the core of the team back together and it'll be nice to get out there in a more meaningful game, you know? I have a lot of confidence in my team.

Speaking of Katie, her team in Spain won the title there. Ebony and Tammy played on the team that won in Turkey. It seems like everyone from our team who went overseas won a title! I think I'm going to tell my agent to use that next fall when teams are negotiating with me! "Sign me and win a championship! Hear ye, hear ye, who wants to win a championship with Tamika?"

But getting back to the Fever, with me missing some games, I think everyone is gonna play a bigger role in the offense. And it's not good that I'm out, of course, but it does help in that it gives some of my teammates a chance to show what they can do out there. And it's much better than it's happening now than later in the season. The team can get in a flow from the get-go without me, and then I'll come back to add whatever I can.

So without me around, Tan White has been doing a great job. Alison Feaster has been doing really well. Tully's been doing well… we're excited about having her back. The team is definitely coming together under Coach Dunn.

Oh, and before I forget, what do you think of the Expect Great ads? I don't like to toot my own horn or anything, but I've gotten a terrific response so far. Most of the people are like, "Woooo, Tamika! I like it!" I will say that there was one person who was like, "Awww, I don't know about that…" but I explained the idea (It's not a negative ad! It's all about how far the women's game has come! Do I have to explain everything around here?!), and she was much more positive about it. I don't know if I'm ever gonna win an Oscar… I have a little more practicing to do before I'm on that level… but I liked it.

Honestly, I'm just taking it day by day. I want to be back out there as soon as I can, because I hate just watching practice. But it is what it is. There's nothing I can do about it right now. I'm trying just to go with it. And hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later.

I would just love for her to have one complete healthy season.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

During the game last night one of the commentators said there's a chance Tamika would be back next week. I can't find anything in print that says it might happen.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

She'll play on Sunday! I'll be sorry to miss it! Damned housing market.

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=3439174

Thursday, June 12, 2008
    Catchings to play first game of season Sunday

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Fever All-Star Tamika Catchings is expected to return from an ankle injury and play her first game of the season.

The team says Catchings should be ready for the home game Sunday against the San Antonio Silver Stars. Catchings has been sidelined since tearing her right Achilles tendon in the playoffs last year.

Catchings is a five-time WNBA All-Star and was defensive player of the year in 2005 and 2006. She averaged 16.6 points and a career-high nine rebounds last season.

She missed 13 regular-season games last year with a left foot injury. She returned, but injured her Achilles tendon during the Eastern Conference finals against Detroit.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Time for the Fever to win a few more road games.

It's good to see her play again... Last year was a downer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark