Thread: My proposed off season

Default My proposed off season

So we know that this team needs to be better defensively, especially in the backcourt. Here is how I propose we fix this.

Draft, take Russell Westbrook. Here is the way I look at the possible prospects oh and i'm assuming we pick at say 11.

Anthony Randolph: While I like his game I have doubts on him being able to play the 4. We can't take another small forward.
    Kevin Love: I'm not high on him. It's simple why too. I feel he will struggle on defense. I love how he plays the game but right now we can't get worse on defense when we can get better.
    DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee, Darrell Arthur: Stay away from all three of them. Maybe it is or isn't true but i've heard lack of DESIRE for defense, lazy, etc. I wouldn't even consider any of these guys right now.
    DJ Augistin: I've thought that he might be the guy the Pacers take but after what Jim O'Brien recently said, how we need to get better defense from the point guard position, I don't think we really strongly consider DJ.

So I see us taking Westbrook assuming he is avaliable. Good defender, size, hard worker, coachable, etc. He knows how to win too playing at UCLA. Not only win but win playing the best defense in the country. I think he could bring some of that mindset to the NBA.

So now that the draft is taken care of lets go to trades.

Trade 1; with Timberwolves

Pacers Get: Greg Buckner, Mark Madsen
    Timberwolves Get: Marquis Daniels

Pacers get a defensive ace on the perminter. Madsen is a simple filler. Not going to give you anything on the court but maybe a good guy in the locker room.

Timberwolves don't use either of these two and would probably like Marquis's expiering contract. Or at least I think there is a team opition on him for the year after next so it's basically expiering.

Trade 2; with Clippers

Pacers Get: Tim Thomas
    Clippers Get: Jamaal Tinsley

We get rid of Jamaal, finally. It actually makes sense though for this team. Tim is a versatile big who can shoot the ball and spread the floor so Jim would love him.

About the only other Jamaal idea I have is to swap him with Earl Watson from the Sonics. But I have some doubts that the Sonics would want Jamaal.

Free Agency I would re-sign Flip Murray. He isn't the ideal point guard but we did play better with him going 13-10. Re-sign Stephen Graham too, why not? Let David, Andre Owens, and Kareem walk. Tempting to keep Kareem but he can get playing time elsewhere. I think Buckner would make us better.

Go into next season with:

PG: Murray/Diener/Westbrook
    SG: Dunleavy/Buckner
    SF: Granger/Williams/Graham
    PF: Murphy/Thomas/Diogu
    C: O'Neal/Foster/Madsen

It's not the greatest lineup in the world. If we could somehow have a somewhat healthy Jermaine it could be a pretty decent team.

Mood

Default Re: My proposed off season

I would not feel good about Tim Thomas. I thought he had issues? Aren't we avoiding that? Plus he's only at his best on a contract year, and if he has one here I'm scared we'd lock him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would not feel good about Tim Thomas. I thought he had issues? Aren't we avoiding that? Plus he's only at his best on a contract year, and if he has one here I'm scared we'd lock him up.
    I'm not for sure what his issues are if he is known to be lazy or what. I defiantly didn't propose that idea thinking of re-signing him.

I guess he could probably be replaced with Cuttino Mobley but he is owed more money.

The way I look at it is Tim might have similar issues to Jamaal, hopefully less. The difference is Tim's contract is a year shorter and he seems to stay somewhat healthy unlike Jamaal.

The other Jamaal idea I had was swaping him with Earl Watson but I have doubts that the Sonics would want Jamaal. I just really don't see many places for Jamaal but am hoping that Larry comes through with a trade.

streets ahead

i don't like the tim thomas deal either. the clippers could have interest in tinsley but only if they re-sign Brand. if he opts out and signs elsewhere they have no use for him.

the issues mal speaks of is tim's brief time in chicago.

i also think that Cleveland and Orlando could have some interest in Tinsley - teams that need a big upgrade at PG and have junk they can trade. packages would probably be based around Battie or Snow respectively.
    This is the darkest timeline.

i'd trade Daniels to the clippers for quinton ross in a S&T

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post
    i'd trade Daniels to the clippers for quinton ross in a S&T
    are you suggesting we give ross $6+ million?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    are you suggesting we give ross $6+ million?
    Better Ross than Quis... neither of them are very consistent or complete offensive players, but Ross is an absolute stud on D.... I'd probably sign off on that kind of deal.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Better Ross than Quis... neither of them are very consistent or complete offensive players, but Ross is an absolute stud on D.... I'd probably sign off on that kind of deal.
    that is beyond ridiculous.

ross has absolutely no business making $2mil more than bruce bowen. if he had another skill it would be something else... run the point, knock down outside shots, etc...

look at what other defensive wing stoppers are making next season...

adrian griffin (SEA) - $1,711,000 (unguarenteed)
    bruce bowen (SAS) - $4,000,000
    greg buckner (MIN) - $4,010,000
    marcus banks (MIA) - $4,260,000 (some but limited PG skills)
    trenton hassell (NJN) - $4,350,000
    raja bell (PHX) - $5,000,000 (capable 3pt shooter)

ross deserves to be making ~$2mil more than all these guys? really?

i also think that Cleveland and Orlando could have some interest in Tinsley - teams that need a big upgrade at PG and have junk they can trade. packages would probably be based around Battie or Snow respectively.
    I can understand why people would be against swaping Jamaal for Tim Thomas, I still would do it but that is because I don't really see any other possible opitions.

You mention Cleveland and Orlando as possible destinations for Jamaal. But would either really have any interest in him?

I mean Cleveland is probably better off with Daniel Gibson or Delonte West then Jamaal at point guard since they have Lebron James they really don't need a point guard like Jamaal.

As for Orando I guess it depends on what you think of Jameer Nelson. Me, i'd rather have Jameer because he doesn't have the health issues or attitude problems like Jamaal as far as I know.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see the Clippers taking on more money. They will be busy trying to resign Maggette and/or Brand. I see them addressing the need of PG in the draft with Rose, Bayless, Westbrook or Augustin. I think Westbrook would get greater consideration since he's "a local" (UCLA).

Sports Logo Sports Logo

that is beyond ridiculous.

ross has absolutely no business making $2mil more than bruce bowen. if he had another skill it would be something else... run the point, knock down outside shots, etc...

look at what other defensive wing stoppers are making next season...

adrian griffin (SEA) - $1,711,000 (unguarenteed)
    bruce bowen (SAS) - $4,000,000
    greg buckner (MIN) - $4,010,000
    marcus banks (MIA) - $4,260,000 (some but limited PG skills)
    trenton hassell (NJN) - $4,350,000
    raja bell (PHX) - $5,000,000 (capable 3pt shooter)

ross deserves to be making ~$2mil more than all these guys? really?

All I said is that I'd rather be paying Ross that money than Quis, who always seems to be either locked up in jail or locked up in the trainers' room.

I don't put a lot of value in what comparable players are making, especially since I think Ross is probably better than all of those players (since I hate Bowen's dirty defense and I think Bell is a product of a great passer).