NBA Position: Shooting Guard
    College: Xavier

Class: Senior
    Ht: 6-5
    Wt: 195
    Hometown: Central African Republic
    High School: Dayton Christian, OH

NBA Comparison: Mitch Richmond

Strengths: Freakish athleticism. Combines broad shoulders and amazing strength with jaw dropping leaping ability. Has a great 3 point stroke. Leadership skills, and winning attitude with excellent willingness to improve and be coached. Has a pretty amazing body-extremely well built but flexible. Super defensively and a strong rebounder. Sato rebounds like a power forward-he goes after everything. He still needs to get better as a creator, but already possesses NBA 3 pt range, and looks great doing it. Has a great attitude as well. Romain is one of the rare guards who impact a game 3 dimensionally-meaning offense, defense, and rebounding. His 6í5 frame features a 7í wingspan, huge and defined upper body muscles, and strong legs that enable him to jump 38+Ē vertically. As a 2 guard, he is a beast.

OFFENSE: Romainís best offensive skill is his stationary 3 point shooting. He has terrific range and consistency, and can easily shoot the NBA 3. Watching him shoot 3ís in a drill is like watching a robot-itís the same shot every time. Quick release, high arc, good follow thru. His shooting ability alone, combined with his size, make him an NBA player. But he has a better knack for scoring than most great shooters, using his great body very effectively in the post and off dribble penetrations to the lane for a pull up jumper. He excels in transition and is a killer on the offensive glass. He goes to the boards like a power forward, and he goes EVERY TIME. Look for him to put all these talents into good use this year, and score 35+ points on a few occasions. He is a solid ball handler, but rarely uses a dribble move to create space, relying instead on his quickness and size to get shots. He has improved his passing a great deal as well, and is used to feeding the post after playing 3 years with David West. A first team A-10 selection last season.

DEFENSE: Romain is a lock down defensive stopper-you put him on the other teams best scoring guard, and expect that guard to have a poor shooting performance. He is quick and rangy with great strength, and can jump quickly as well. Simply put, he is a nightmare to try and score against. His rebounding mentality is second to none, so no matter which opponent attempts a shot, he is there to rebound and start the break. A 2 time All-League defensive selection.

Weaknesses: Understanding of the game and passing, ball handling all must continue to improve. Appears undersized at a shade under 6-5, however with his wingspan he is like a 6-7 player. He needs to learn to make more plays off a dribble move. He is capable of it, but is more comfortable using other methods. As his knowledge improves, so will his ability to anticipate things offensively, making him a more effective slasher and passer. If he can get to the free throw line a good deal this season, it means he has improved in that area, and he will enjoy a monster year. Defensively, he is better at structured defenses than ones looking to create some chaos. Again, improved basketball IQ will help his cause in pressure style defenses where quick reads and a good feel are vital.

Projection: Will be one of the top 2 or 3 shooting guards in the 2004 NBA draft. His combination of shooting, rebounding, athleticism, and defensive ability as a 2 guard is very rare.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: We should draft this guy!

If he's a top 2 or 3 SG in the draft, there's no way he's going to be at 29.

All the stats, and views seem great though, but I want a more experienced SG.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I hope like hell we can trade up for him, or as some have predicted, is that he's a sleeper. He may just float down to us.

d00d, I've been on the Sato bandwagon for a while now. He's got the tools for sure, but didn't have as good of a senior year as expected. Insider posted some very complimentary things about him recently as well. His performance at the pre-draft camp will probably be a mixed blessing. His stock could shoot up and he won't be there when the Pacers pick or he could perform poorly making him a 2nd rounder (and he probably won't last til the end of 2nd round).

He has a funny webpage which I don't have the link for anymore where he has audio greetings in 6 or 7 languages (English, French, Swahili, local tounges). It's called "A Star In Any Language" and would probably be easy to find with a quick google search.

A more experience shooting guard? Not out of the draft, in trade yes, in the draft no. I think you meant in trade or free agency though.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Romain would be a great pickup for any team. By all accounts he's a hard worker and continues to improve. Since I live near the Ohio border, I am able to watch the Dayton and Cincinnati news, and they just rave about the guy. I was also able to catch a Musketeer game or two while visiting home, and he was a clutch performer. He took on the leadership role during his senior season at Xavier, helping to lead them to the Elite Eight. I'd definitely take a hard look.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

A SG rotation of Sato/Jones sounds good to me. Become an assistant coach, Reggie!

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

d00d, I've been on the Sato bandwagon for a while now. He's got the tools for sure, but didn't have as good of a senior year as expected. Insider posted some very complimentary things about him recently as well. His performance at the pre-draft camp will probably be a mixed blessing. His stock could shoot up and he won't be there when the Pacers pick or he could perform poorly making him a 2nd rounder (and he probably won't last til the end of 2nd round).

He has a funny webpage which I don't have the link for anymore where he has audio greetings in 6 or 7 languages (English, French, Swahili, local tounges). It's called "A Star In Any Language" and would probably be easy to find with a quick google search.

A more experience shooting guard? Not out of the draft, in trade yes, in the draft no. I think you meant in trade or free agency though.
    Yeah I meant through trade or free-agency. If he falls to the Pacers, or they can make a quick trade to get him, then by all means do so, but I don't think anything drastic should be done just to get him.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Yeah I meant through trade or free-agency. If he falls to the Pacers, or they can make a quick trade to get him, then by all means do so, but I don't think anything drastic should be done just to get him.
    Yeah, I don't think he'd be the immediate contributor that the Pacers need.

sweabs

Wow - he looks good. Not sure if he would fall that low however.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

draft city's profile explains why he's dropped this year:

Last year Sato was an up and coming player, but not only has his improvement stalled; some may say he has even regressed. One of his greatest skills, defense, is worse now than it was last year. This year he was given the chance to be the leader of the team (after David West left last season) and his performance has been far from satisfactory. He still hasn't displayed consitency on the offense end, nor the ability to take over a game as the leader. His passing skills and ability to create for his teammates is nonexistant (although this spawns more from lack of ability rather than selfishness- he is a true team player).

Talk to any scout last year and he/she would have told you that Sato would be a top 3 shooting guard in this class. Right now he has dropped off the radar of many major scouts. He will be a 2nd round pick because of his sheer potential. The question is whether or not he will do something with that potential. I think he will if he is placed in the right situation. He needs to be in a structured system with a coach who is more of a teacher than a taskmaster.

Best Case Scenario: Quentin Richardson
    Worst Case Scenario: A poor man's Morris Peterson (Sato is a better rebounder however)

-Prerak Shah
    sounds like still a bit of a project. strengths listed by draft city pretty much matches what draftnet has (defensive monster, still raw on offense).

Yeah... Sato was a great college player! Good call...

http://www.nbadraft.net/ has him going #53 and hoopshype.com does not have him being picked in the first round...

Does anyone have ESPN Insider? I would be curious to know what they say about him and where they estimate he will be picked
    Here, everyone have a : on me

He's been predicted over the last 6 months to go from towards the end of the first round (23+) to sometime in the second round. Insider more or less said what the draft profiles said for "strengths" without mentioning the weaknesses really.

In an interesting turn of events, several mock drafts have us getting Peter Ramos again...

I like using a pick on him better than on Sato.

Also, another potential SG at that spot is Kevin Martin...

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/kevinmartin.asp

"NBA Comparison: Kerry Kittles

Game description: Kevin is first and foremost a scorer. He is a very good 3-point shooter, with the potential to be a great one (+44%). He loves attacking the basket and displays excellent body control when getting his shot off against defenders. He is comfortable shooting off curls and fades, as well as off the dribble and catching and shooting in transition. He knows how to get fouled and is a very good free throw shooter. He scores in a variety of ways around the basket and has an excellent left hand-and a great feel for using angles to the basket. I would not be surprised if he scores 40+ points in a game this upcoming season. He is an adept ball-handler, and can use dribble moves to create separation from his defender. Kevin is a very quick athlete with a good first step and a good exploder to the basket. He sees the floor well, and anticipates openings for himself and teammates. Despite being a prolific scorer, he takes few bad shots and makes his teammates better with his passing abilities. He has the ability to play the point guard position.

Defensively, his lateral quickness gives him the ability to beat opponents to their attacking spot, and his height and reach impact shooters. He has good anticipation, and can rack up steals if the offense is careless. He does not display the same confidence on defense as he does on offense, despite having the ability to dominate on that end of the floor. His court awareness is excellent, as is his defensive I.Q. He knows what the offense is doing most of the time.

Areas for improvement: Kevin rarely uses a dribble move to beat an opponent, so this would be a skill that would benefit him-and is something he can do very effectively right now on occasion. He can also be an effective player in triple threat position once he uses his jab techniques. He is a very quick athlete without the ball, he needs to become the same with it. A post game would be an incredible added dimension to his game, nullifying the opposing teams' option of guarding him with a short, quick guard. Physically, Kevin just needs to spend time in the weight room and eat a healthy diet. His strength will increase accordingly. Perhaps his biggest challenge is developing his mental toughness, since he will be the main focus of every defense he plays over the course of his college career. Tough fouls, rugged screens, and relentless defenders will have to be dealt with every game he plays. He is coachable, and in love with his coaches at Western Carolina, which means he is likely to improve each and every year there.

NBA players similar to Kevin: Kerry Kittles is the best pick regarding physical similarities and position-Kevin is a better scorer and shooter than Kerry was at 19. Kerry was a better defender and a tougher, more disciplined player. Kerry would not have averaged 22 ppg at Western when he was a freshman, while Kevin could have averaged 22 at Villanova this year(he averaged 24ppg in 2 road games in December at Big 12 and ACC schools-both wins). As athletes, they are probably even.

Projection: Kevin has a shot at being the best 2 guard prospect in the draft in the next few years. He should have the height, athletic ability, and skills of an NBA player. His statistics will likely favor him over most other guards as well. Ultimately, his effort in the weight room may be the deciding factor in whether or not he is drafted. How he looks means little if he performs well on strength tests, and more importantly, makes plays that require great strength.

Notes: Was the nations 11th leading scorer and second leading freshman scorer at 22.1 points per game. Ohio State tried to convince Kevin to transfer but was unsuccesful."

http://www.draftcity.com/profile.htm?player=196

"This guy can fill the basket up. He just knows how to put it in the cup. He is a deadly from mid-range area of the court out to the perimeter. He can put the ball on the floor and take you off the dribble or score while moving without the basketball.. A great finisher. Canít have enough of those"
    and
    "There is something to be said about a guy who can avg. 25 plus points per game when teams know that he is basically the only threat on a team. He is a phenomenal scorer and seems like his best days will be ahead of him. I think if he plays well in Chicago, he could easily move up to a late first round pick for someone. He doesnít shoot well enough to be considered Reggie Miller, but he may draw comparisons to him because of his weight and build. Also, Jarvis Hayes played at Western Carolina before transferring to Georgia and some had said that Martin is just as good as Hayes was. If that ends up being the case, someone will be getting a steal in Martin.

Best Case Scenario: Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton
    Worst Case Scenario: Miles Simon"

I've liked Sato for awhile. He plays very good. I think that he really will slip down to us, because of all the high school kids that are going to be taken. Him or Martin I wouldn't mind having.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.