Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DA_SMASH - General Forum Question

Default Re: DA_SMASH - General Forum Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's right. The feedback board has always doubled as a public place to ask questions such as the one you raised.

Ok Mal. Thanks for the clarification.

The purpose of this thread was to take a step back and look at this subject. Sometimes when you are close to something and react to it you lose perspective of the big picture.

What makes a better forum- highly controlled or a little looser. I don't don't think you can control what people have to say. You can have rules no question. In Smash's case I have no idea what went on. Maybe he was warned 50 times. I don't know. I used him as example because I know he could be rough but yet was a hard core fan that seemingly would fit right in on this board.

I just think it's an interesting topic and I was anxious to hear more about how people feel.

What I like is pure honest exchange. It relates to Pacer talk or society as a whole. I'm seeing some trends toward censorship in society that are a little disturbing to me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DaSmash is simply too busy to post here now, besides, we're not worthy.

It's a sad time in PacersDigest that we can't get the inside word of DaSmash, who was always privy to the goings on of the offices in the Fieldhouse.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Related question: Is there any list on this board of banned members?

I don't really miss DaSmash. He didn't add to my reading pleasure.

On to the broader question. Either you choose to go by the rules here or you don't. You don't go to Canada and complain about the snow, go to Indiana and complain about blue laws, go to California and complain about sunshine...you know what you are getting into.

Personally, I have never managed not to get my post deleted, censured or warned so I feel able to fully express myself here. I think the mods do a great job, try to hear what people thing and earn every penny they get.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

I believe if you're a Canadian and you love your country and you feel it's on the wrong path it's healthy to say so.

And in a democracy you communicate disagreements when you have them. We are in a democracy aren't we?

I've been posting on this board or it's linear predecessors for a long long time... meaning I've got connections on here with people that mean something to me. This place means something to me.

But when I have something to say I say it.

I know. I was just expressing how I felt. Just as you are doing.

Mods are doing a great job. I feel no restrictions to say what I want. No complaints from me.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I know. I was just expressing how I felt. Just as you are doing.

Mods are doing a great job. I feel no restrictions to say what I want. No complaints from me.

At least we know the sunshiners are ok.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    The purpose of this thread was to take a step back and look at this subject. Sometimes when you are close to something and react to it you lose perspective of the big picture.

What makes a better forum- highly controlled or a little looser. I don't don't think you can control what people have to say. You can have rules no question. In Smash's case I have no idea what went on. Maybe he was warned 50 times. I don't know. I used him as example because I know he could be rough but yet was a hard core fan that seemingly would fit right in on this board.

I just think it's an interesting topic and I was anxious to hear more about how people feel.

What I like is pure honest exchange. It relates to Pacer talk or society as a whole. I'm seeing some trends toward censorship in society that are a little disturbing to me.
    Like I said before, DaSmash would talk down to and belittle everyone as if they were morons. He felt that just because he supposedly has connections with the Pacers, that gave him the right to walk around with a sense of entitlement and everyone else was privileged to bask in his presence.

He literally DARED us to ban him on several occasions. He finally went too far and we had had enough. If anything, he was given more leeway than most. Funny thing, actually. The people who get the most chances often turn out to be the nastiest ones on their way out the door (DaSmash, Jermaniac, Sassan, etc.).

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

What are you gonna do about it? BAN me?!? GO AHEAD, IDIOT!!! SEE IF I CARE!!!

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

On the face of it the guy sounds like a prick. But believe it or not I can actually "imagine" a set of circumstances - in response to private message threats that this makes more sense.

Of course you'd never know that.

The word on the street would be that he must have wanted to be banned. He had every chance. He just didn't follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    I believe if you're a Canadian and you love your country and you feel it's on the wrong path it's healthy to say so.

And in a democracy you communicate disagreements when you have them. We are in a democracy aren't we?
    I've been posting on this board or it's linear predecessors for a long long time... meaning I've got connections on here with people that mean something to me. This place means something to me.

But when I have something to say I say it.
    Yes we live in a democracy. But that refers to the country, not a fan forum. Much like paying taxes gives us a right to voice our opinions on how those taxes are spent, I think if we were being charged a membership fee to be a part of this forum we would then have a right to a greater say concerning the rules.

Twes, I have always had respect for your opinions, and your posting style. Part of that has to do with what I am going to now say.

The difference between someone such as yourself and Smash is in the way you choose to express your disagreement with others.

On one hand, you have always managed to show respect and restraint when you have entered into a....let's say intense....debate with another poster. You have shown class and thoughtfulness on any occasion that I can recall. Oh, you might throw a barb someones way once in a while, but generally in a way to introduce humor into an otherwise non-humorous situation.

On the other hand, Smash, when finding himself in the same situation, was much more likely to be condescending to the opinions of those he did not agree with. All the way to the point of name calling and generally insulting others.

I've been the recipient of some of those insults, both here, and in the old days at Indystar.

In total fairness, let me say that I have also stepped out of line before, and Mal let me know about it. I got the forum version of a warning ticket for that little episode.

I may not have agreed with my "warning ticket", but I understood his point of view, and appreciated the private way it was handled.

I have to think that Smash was given the same treatment as I was, and given ample opportunity to think about his words. My guess is his reaction to his "warning tickets" was different than mine, and that eventually got him banned.

We've also got to remember why this board was started. It was the utter lack of control exibited by the Indystar moderators that gave birth to Pacers Digest.

Anyway, I just wanted express my opinion in a more than a "first word that comes to my mind" format.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Yes we live in a democracy. But that refers to the country, not a fan forum. Much like paying taxes gives us a right to voice our opinions on how those taxes are spent, I think if we were being charged a membership fee to be a part of this forum we would then have a right to a greater say concerning the rules.

Twes, I have always had respect for your opinions, and your posting style. Part of that has to do with what I am going to now say.

The difference between someone such as yourself and Smash is in the way you choose to express your disagreement with others.

On one hand, you have always managed to show respect and restraint when you have entered into a....let's say intense....debate with another poster. You have shown class and thoughtfulness on any occasion that I can recall. Oh, you might throw a barb someones way once in a while, but generally in a way to introduce humor into an otherwise non-humorous situation.

On the other hand, Smash, when finding himself in the same situation, was much more likely to be condescending to the opinions of those he did not agree with. All the way to the point of name calling and generally insulting others.

I've been the recipient of some of those insults, both here, and in the old days at Indystar.

In total fairness, let me say that I have also stepped out of line before, and Mal let me know about it. I got the forum version of a warning ticket for that little episode.

I may not have agreed with my "warning ticket", but I understood his point of view, and appreciated the private way it was handled.

I have to think that Smash was given the same treatment as I was, and given ample opportunity to think about his words. My guess is his reaction to his "warning tickets" was different than mine, and that eventually got him banned.

We've also got to remember why this board was started. It was the utter lack of control exibited by the Indystar moderators that gave birth to Pacers Digest.

Anyway, I just wanted express my opinion in a more than a "first word that comes to my mind" format.
    Thank you Tom. I appreciate the response.

One thing I always liked about the board was when you posted a thread you'd hear from everybody. That's part of the reason I was disappointed it got moved to the back porch here.

Has Dancing Harry ever registered here?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    Has Dancing Harry ever registered here?
    I thought once upon a time someone registered that name here, but I could be mistaken and even if he did, I don't know if it was *that* Dancing Harry.

I think I saw that he posted something on Star News recently. I hadn't seen that name for awhile.

I've always considered that the #1 rule of boards like this should be --

Disagree without being disagreeable.

There are people who cannot or will not do that. There are also people who refuse to post because of it and others who just go silently away, never to return. Those people have weighed the benefit of somebody who COULD carry on a decent reasonable discussion with having to put up with that person's inhumanity to others and decide to go elsewhere.

Others have monstrously large Ignore lists.

The internet in many cases has evolved into a place to make a fist without the fear of being punched back.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPete View Post
    Others have monstrously large Ignore lists.
    Is 47 considered monstrously large?

I've also come to like the Ignore Thread feature.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post

How does that work exactly?

Grace?

Grace?

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post

Since you quoted me, I must not be on your list.......yet.
    No, 47 is not large IMO, it depends on your personal tolerance for

I'm sure it's them. All 47 of them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Da Smash must be one of the guys I decided to just not read anymore becouse his name brings back nothing. I didn't put him on ignore, I just ignored him.