Thread: Larry Brown on his last season with the Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Larry Brown on his last season with the Pacers

"I'm still embarassed by how I dealt with that team and it's players."

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Brown on his last season with the Pacers

I'd hope so. That's why, to this day, I still despise him.

What he really should have done was quit fifteen games into the season.

We all know he really wanted the UCLA job, Donnie should have let him walk. Instead, IMO, he 'mailed it in' for the rest of the season. How else can you explain *VINNIE ASKEW* playing point-forward during crunch time?

Although that team had some injuries, we were:

- 2 games under 0.500 when Rik was hurt, 2 games under 0.500 when Rik was healthy;
    - 2 games under 0.500 when Derrick was hurt, 2 games under 0.500 when Derrick was healthy; and
    - 2 games under 0.500 before Mark Jackson and LaSalle Thompson returned via trade, and 2 games under 0.500 after they returned.

And there's the whole Jalen Rose fiasco. And the Haywood's blown-out-knee (although that was probably a blessing in disguise.)

The only part of that season I looked forward to was when Travis, Fred, Jalen, Dale and Dampier were on the court together. (This was before I decided that Travis sucked.) At least they all played like they cared, even if every single one of those players had serious deficiencies to their games...

You knew it was bad when even The Mayor, of all players, was quoted as saying that, "Maybe it was time for him to go."

Just thinking about that season makes me hope the Lakers win the next four.

:censor: !!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd hope so. That's why, to this day, I still despise him.

We all know he really wanted the UCLA job, Donnie should have let him walk. Instead, IMO, he 'mailed it in' for the rest of the season. How else can you explain *VINNIE ASKEW* playing point-forward during crunch time?

Although that team had some injuries, we were:

- 2 games under 0.500 when Rik was hurt, 2 games under 0.500 when Rik was healthy;
    - 2 games under 0.500 when Derrick was hurt, 2 games under 0.500 when Derrick was healthy; and
    - 2 games under 0.500 before Mark Jackson and LaSalle Thompson returned via trade, and 2 games under 0.500 after they returned.

And there's the whole Jalen Rose fiasco. And the Haywood's blown-out-knee (although that was probably a blessing in disguise.)

The only part of that season I looked forward to was when Travis, Fred, Jalen, Dale and Dampier were on the court together. (This was before I decided that Travis sucked.) At least they all played like they cared, even if every single one of those players had serious deficiencies to their games...

You knew it was bad when even The Mayor, of all players, was quoted as saying that, "Maybe it was time for him to go."

Just thinking about that season makes me hope the Lakers win the next four.

:censor: !!
    Jay I feel your and your :censor:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

You mean it's ok for me to come out of the closet on this? I thought I was the only one who despised larry Brown. He totally gave up on the team. And in Philly he sold out and kissed Ivy's hinnie in order to keep his job. Personally, I think he let the Pistons know he'd be available before he ever left the 6ers.

He's scum.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Geezer, I had total strangers that would stop by my seats in Aisle 20 that year to make sure I wasn't going to 'go postal'. I believe the Pacers were 4-16 over my half-season package that season. I've never been 'in the closet' on that topic.

That was easily the darkest season of the Walsh era. Perhaps Fanchise history--at least when the 80's Pacer teams sucked we expected it.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Geezer, I had total strangers that would stop by my seats in Aisle 20 that year to make sure I wasn't going to 'go postal'. I believe the Pacers were 4-16 over my half-season package that season. I've never been 'in the closet' on that topic.

Perhaps not, but I was. :
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Mood

I don't think I have hidden my Hate for Larry Brown

I love Larry Brown. He is great for the game, he is a great coach, who respects the game.

If he ever wants to come back to be the coach of the Pacers, I would welcome him with open arms.

woman without a team

If he ever wants to come back to be the coach of the Pacers, I would welcome him with open arms.

Of course since Larry thinks coaches should only stay in one place for 3 years I'm sure they'd get along just fine.

If you want to talk about bringing back old coaches I vote for Bo Hill. When he got fired I thought we should have fired the team instead of the coach.

Interesting...
    Does anybody think that without Larry Brown in our past that we would've still achieved the same success?

I guess you are saying we would have... or are you saying you hate him so badly you don't care?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Interesting...
    Does anybody think that without Larry Brown in our past that we would've still achieved the same success?

I guess you are saying we would have... or are you saying you hate him so badly you don't care?

-Bball
    I could have did without the Larry Brown Era of the Pacers , sure we woulda been losers a few more years ..but I guess that's something you have to live with

I guess I feel like he quit on the Pacers when things weren't so good anymore.

I guess I feel like he quit on the Pacers when things weren't so good anymore.
    Don't take it personally, that's what he does everywhere.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Interesting...

-Bball
    My only issue was with his last season here. For years 1 through 3, I thought he was great. Don't get me wrong, I respect him. But I stand by this comment:

We all know he really wanted the UCLA job, Donnie should have let him walk. Instead, IMO, he 'mailed it in' for the rest of the season.
    In response to UB's comment, if he came back to the Pacers with a one or two year deal in which neither side had the option to renew, I'd consider that.

However, and I don't know if grace was being serious or not, Bo Hill had SA in the WCF and winning 61 games shortly after his contract wasn't renewed (he wasn't fired) here, so our problem in the early nineties wasn't coaching, it was youth, poor chemistry and a collective lack of toughness from the players (or, I guess you could say, an unwillingness to play team defense). And trading Chuck and Micheal for Pooh Richardson and change not only made the chemistry worse, but it also seriously depleted the overall talent level of the team.

I'll give Brownie credit for completing the impossible - he got Reggie to try to play some defense. Still don't know how he did it; he must've had some incriminating polariods or something.

But to give Brownie all the credit for our growth during the mid-1990's also, IMO, overlooks the contributions of Byron Scott. When Byron Scott showed up, with those three championship rings in his pouch, everybody in the lockerroom, Brownie included, payed attention to what he had to say.

Mood

I'll give Brownie credit for completing the impossible - he got Reggie to try to play some defense. Still don't know how he did it; he must've had some incriminating polariods or something.