Thread: Now that the season is over, and we know what we need, who do we leave unprotect

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Now that the season is over, and we know what we need, who do we leave unprotect

Has anyone's opinion changed on this since before?

PROTECTED:
    JO
    Ronnie
    Al
    Freddie
    Tins
    Foster
    Bender
    JJ

UNPROTECTED:
    Reggie
    Cro
    Pollard
    Brezec

FREE AGENTS:
    AJ
    Kenny
    Brewer

If we leave Reggie unprotected, and Charlotte selects him, can he retire instead? And, if so, can he come out of retirement and re-sign with the Pacers after a set amount of time?

Default Re: Now that the season is over, and we know what we need, who do we leave unpro

There is no way Reggie will ever play for another team. He'll retire before letting that happen.

Default Re: Now that the season is over, and we know what we need, who do we leave unpro

Even though I don't think Reggie will be taken by the bobcats, I think he'll be protected.

Two words: "Byron Scott"

It's not worth the risk.

I can't see any reason to project JJ. He's shown me pretty much nothing.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

LAPacer

Even though I don't think Reggie will be taken by the bobcats, I think he'll be protected.

Two words: "Byron Scott"

It's not worth the risk.

I can't see any reason to project JJ. He's shown me pretty much nothing.
    Agreed, JJ isn't good enough yet to be put on the protected list

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see Bobcats taking Brezec , they already said they don't and won't take high priced contracts.

Also did I not read it right but don't they have a 29 mil salary cap for the first year or something like that ?

Out of loyalty the Pacers will protect Reggie Miller.

James Jones will be unprotected.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I could see Bobcats taking Brezec , they already said they don't and won't take high priced contracts.

Also did I not read it right but don't they have a 29 mil salary cap for the first year or something like that ?
    That might be close.

It will be 2/3's of the salary cap that everyone else has. The following year it goes upto 75%, the 3rd season is the same as the rest of the league.

We can protect 8, right?

Protect (in no particular order):

JO
    Ron
    Al
    Bender
    Tinsley
    Fred
    Jeff
    I wouldn't protect Reggie, but they will.

That leaves open to snatching:

AJ
    Primoz
    Cro
    James
    Pollard

I'm afraid they'll snatch AJ

AJ is not a free agent.

He has a player option on his present contract. If he chooses, he may become a free agent. However, if he does not elect it, he remains on our roster at whatever salary he is contracted to receive for 2004/2005.

Just another wrinkle to have to deal with.

1. minor point: JJ is free agent, he signed a rookie 1 year contract.

hence no protection needed.

Brezec will be protected, or a deal will be made, they ahve invested to much to let him go for a paultry 1.5 mil trade exemption.

Reggie unprotected, not unthinkable.

Sad part: will we ever know ?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

1. minor point: JJ is free agent, he signed a rookie 1 year contract.

hence no protection needed.

Brezec will be protected, or a deal will be made, they ahve invested to much to let him go for a paultry 1.5 mil trade exemption.

Reggie unprotected, not unthinkable.

Sad part: will we ever know ?
    Yes, we'll know. Teams except LA and Detroit inform the league about their 8 protected players in just a few days.

If JJ is a free agent and AJ has a player option, then the Pacers would be better served by quietly encouraging AJ to elect his option in exchange for another $1M per year.

That way, we could protect both Brezec and Reggie. Personally, I think protecting Brezec is a waste of time anyway. I'd just let him slide, hoping that the Bobcats did take him. Let's face it. If he can't somehow get on the active roster over Pollard, then do we really need him?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Personally, I think protecting Brezec is a waste of time anyway. I'd just let him slide, hoping that the Bobcats did take him. Let's face it. If he can't somehow get on the active roster over Pollard, then do we really need him?
    I understand your point. But when I saw him get legit minutes in the preseason, he outplayed Pollard, Foster, etc. But there's no way Rik plays a young guy like Brezec if he's already decided he's not playing a veteran like Pollard.

Give him time. He's young, he's skilled, he just needs 'game' experience. If we trade for a legit starting-caliber center and JO slides back to power forward (which I think is a possibility, although I'm not convinced its a good thing), then having a true '5' as the backup will be useful.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1427

For some pre-Playoff discussion on Jose's Pacers Expansion Draft thread

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

actually, the protected lists are not published. so we won't know unless if there's a leak or if someone gets picked.

i'm on the fence with reggie. i really don't think he will get picked if his name is out there, but it would be very bad PR to put him there.

actually, the protected lists are not published. so we won't know unless if there's a leak or if someone gets picked.

i'm on the fence with reggie. i really don't think he will get picked if his name is out there, but it would be very bad PR to put him there.
    The one thing I've considered with Reggie is that, if the Larry and/or Donnie secretly would like him to retire, and Reggie has not committed to play another year by the time that the list is due, then maybe they will not protect him.

I think all of us have a pretty good hunch that if Reggie is not protected and he is picked up by the Bobcats, then he would probably retire before playing anywhere else.

Jose's series of team analyses were excellent. However, there is more info available regarding the Pacers. For example, we knew that Brewer and Kenny were free agents. Recently, we've seen published the fact that JJ actually had a one year contract, not two. And AJ had a one year contract with a player option for a second year. So there could be as many as 4 free agents out of our current 15 players.

If we leave Reggie unprotected, and Charlotte selects him, can he retire instead? And, if so, can he come out of retirement and re-sign with the Pacers after a set amount of time?
    Yes he can retire and that's what he would probably do. Plus, if his contract is guaranteed like I think it is, then Charlotte would have to pay him. I don't think Charlotte would select him anyway, but if his contract is guaranteed, there's no way Charlotte selects him if they have to pay him when he retires.

If he retires with Charlotte they own his rights.

Whatever, [color=red:76ce88c0b9]Reggie will not be protected,[/color] JJ or Brezac will be instead. If the Pacers want Johnson to return they will instruct him to opt out and resign with them, thus Charlotte couldn't select him either.

Charlotte will take either JJ or Brezac, whoever is not protected and pass on Reggie, Pollard, and Croshere.

1. minor point: JJ is free agent, he signed a rookie 1 year contract. hence no protection needed.

That is what Conrad Brunner said in his May 17th column. However, the Star named the Pacer's free agents last week and JJ wasn't one of them.

Who's right? I would think Brunner because he works for Pacers.com, but who knows?

I wrote and asked about it but didn't get an answer.

Yes he can retire and that's what he would probably do. Plus, if his contract is guaranteed like I think it is, then Charlotte would have to pay him. I don't think Charlotte would select him anyway, but if his contract is guaranteed, there's no way Charlotte selects him.

If he retires with Charlotte they own his rights.

Whatever, [color=red:7084b4caab]Reggie will not be protected,[/color] JJ or Brezac will be instead. If the Pacers want Johnson to return they will instruct him to opt out and resign with them, thus Charlotte couldn't select him either.

Charlotte will take either JJ or Brezac, whoever is not protected and pass on Reggie, Pollard, and Croshere.

Sorry to be so rude, but JJ is FA, so he's not a part of the equasion, I agree on Reggie being unprotected, the only reason the Bobcats would select him is out of spite, sorry but he has little to contribute even if he wanted to, to a new franchise. Finally, I believe that is a player opts out of his player option he can not re-sign with his old team, a player with such an option becomes automatically a FA and is not allowed to re-sign with his "old" team for 12 months.

That makes the AJ setup impossible, yet I still think the P's will not protect him, despite doing good work, with Brewer as the up and coming talent and under the protection of (among others) Ron and I believe Rick even, there is little chance that they would worry about losing AJ.

Finally, I believe that is a player opts out of his player option he can not re-sign with his old team, a player with such an option becomes automatically a FA and is not allowed to re-sign with his "old" team for 12 months.
    Players opt out all the time and resign with their old team, it's a way to get more money. For instant Tim Duncan opted out of his 7 year contract after year 6 then signed a new contract for more money.

I think what you are thinking of is if Charlotte selects a restricted free agent from a team he becomes a free agent and able to sign with any team but the one he came from for 12 months.

For instant if we don't protect Johnson and Charlotte selects him he becomes a free agent and can't sign with us for a year. So if the Pacers are afraid Charlotte will select him they tell Johnson to opt out and then resign with them.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Protect
    JO
    Ron
    Jeff
    Tins
    Reg
    Al
    Jonathan
    Freddie

I see no other way. (Reggie you protect out of respect and honor, unless he ritires first)

There are no guarantees the the Bobs will select ANY Pacer. There may be 14 really sweetheart possiblities from other teams out there and not need any Pacer players lost. We'll hear bits and pieces of who is unprotected as the trickle in.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Unless he retires, which I highly doubt, Reggie is going to be protected.

Brewer, JJ, KA are FA.

AJ, which I hope he does, can opt out of his contract, then resign. Tell him that is the safest way for him to stay here, since he wants to anyway.

JO, Ron, Al, Tins, Fred, Bender, Reg, and Foster will be protected.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

ON feb 1 I wrote in a thread here on the same subject:

let's go about it the other way around, instead of making a wish list to keep, who do we need to protect, taking into account contract status which is an important part as well.

Free Agents at the end of the year:

Kenny Anderson, James Jones, Jamison Brewer(?)

BIG question, does Reggie's contract contain an option for the second year, because in that case he can not be part of the extension draft.

Let's assume that they knew the rules of the draft when they signed Reggie and it would be silly not to use those rules, if they haven't then such is a major screw up.

That leaves 11 players to "protect" (without Reggie)

Some are definitely not questionable, you don't throw away major forces:

JO
    Al
    Ron
    Jamaal

Then the talent in which you have invested a lot of time and money:

Bender

The talent you want to keep

Fred

that leaves the following players "fighting" for 2 spots

Croshere (no use to protect him, his contract does)
    Brezec (will be protected)
    Anthony Johnson (again contract, option? one year left)
    Foster *
    Pollard *

* depends on the position and "future" of Brezec, Pollie is less likely to be "taken".

So my list would be with contract questionables marked with a *

JO
    Al
    Ron
    Jamaal
    Reggie *
    Bender
    Fred Jones
    Brezec
    Foster

Unprotected roster members:

Pollie
    Croshere
    Anthony Johnson*

Yes Foster would be unprotected if Reg's contract was stupidly enough not made in a way that they would have the advantage at this draft time.
    However, his contract makes it highly unlikely (just like Pollie and Cro) that he would be picked, the expansion is only allowed 2/3 of the cap, which is certainly not enough to give away millions to single players.

There is also the option to trade "future" or immediate draft rights in exchange for a "no pick" agreement.

Why protect Brezec and Jones, simple as far as Brezec is concerned, they still see him as the second coming of Smits and Jones' play speaks for himself, their price is of a nature that they would both be very interesting for the expansion.
    Reggie will not be protected, I am pretty sure of that now, I know it would be an embarresment BUT that would be the only reason for the Bobcats to take him anyway, they can KNOW he will never play for them anyway, I assume it will be discussed with him and in all reality, he would take 17.5% of their cap, which is way to much and comparable to someone offering him double of what he makes now.

funny to see that more then 4 months later I still think the same

Able, from the outset I think it's been you, me and a couple others preaching Reggie will not be protected. Since the playoffs I think more have joined us, but there's still a bunch thinking Reg should and will be protected.

There's no reasoning with them though! It doesn't matter that we don't have to protect him because . . .

[1] Charlotte has stated they are only interested in young players with cheap, short term, contracts.

[2] . . . That's enough, I've decided there's no point in beating a dead horse.

Bruno Sundov
    Zan Tabak
    Terry Mills
    Lari Ketner

Wait a minute... ed:

James Jones
    Primoz Brezec
    Scot Pollard
    Austin Croshere