Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It apears we will have the 11th pick in the draft.

Default It apears we will have the 11th pick in the draft.

It looks like we will have the 11th pick in the draft. It's still possible for us to catch Atlanta for the last playoff spot, but being possible is all it is, that won't happen. We would have to win our two remaining games while Atlanta loses their two remaining games. And since their last game is against Miami's scrubs, there's no way they lose that game if it becomes important. We also can't catch Sacramento since they are three games ahead of us with two to play.

It's also still possible for us to catch New Jersey for the 10th pick in the draft, but in this case they would have to win their two remaining games while we lose our two remaining games. (They play Boston their last game) We would then be tied and have to flip a coin to see who receives the 10th pick.

How the NBA draft works. http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba/nba-dra...k-ar23146.html

STANDINGS
    Atlanta 37-43
    ------------------------
    Golden State 48 32
    Portland 40 40
    Sacramento 38 42
    Indiana 35 45
    New Jersey 33 47
    Chicago 31 48
    Charlotte 31 49
    Milwaukee 26 54
    LA Clippers 23 57
    New York 23 57
    Memphis 22 58
    Minnesota 21 59
    Seattle 18 62
    Miami 14 65

Default Re: It apears we will have the 11th pick in the draft.

uhg...lets trade marquis and our pick to move up...LOL
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Would Minny trade the #3 pick for our #11 plus Granger? Minny is pretty short on quality swingmen and could use some help there...

I love Granger and recognize how good he is getting, so this would be a sacrifice....but would you rather have Danny or a future all-star PG?

Is Bayless good enough to make this sacrifice? IMO, he will be available at #3. I have not seen this guy play a full game, but the video clips indicate he is going to be a star. Unlike some of the pretenders, this guy has size, smarts, leadership, defense, offense, can dunk can hit the 3 with good efficiency. The guy has major talent IMO.

Considering we will have a problem with re-signing Granger, already have Dunleavy and Williams at SF, the PG position is crucial, ...and the fact Bayless is just 19 yo...I really think I would pull the trigger on that.

Alternatively Beasley if available at #3 would be a fine replacement for Granger and will probably be more of a beast...

It's not worth it for the #3 pick. Only for #2 if Rose is there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would Minny trade the #3 pick for our #11 plus Granger? Minny is pretty short on quality swingmen and could use some help there...

I love Granger and recognize how good he is getting, so this would be a sacrifice....but would you rather have Danny or a future all-star PG?
    Very possible Minni would do that, but it's unlikely the #3 pick is getting you Rose. I don't see anyone else besides him in this draft being a future all-star PG.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Very possible Minni would do that, but it's unlikely the #3 pick is getting you Rose. I don't see anyone else besides him in this draft being a future all-star PG.
    Maybe so. Rose is definitely as close to a lock as you can get....but I think he will go first....and we are not getting our hands on that. We would be lucky to get the #3 pick in fact. Only if we dealt Foster, Granger and the #11 pick would we even come remotely close to getting the #1 pick. I would probably offer that up and more to get Rose.

I do suggest that if people have not seen Bayless play to look at the video clips on www.nbadraft.net and compare him to others. He is extremely talented, quick and athletic.

Edit: Oooh. Miami's back court is going to be nasty!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It appears we won't have a quality first round pick for me to oogle over this year, so I may as well look at who the pacers get.

Russell Westbrook would probably be the ideal pick for Indiana at the #11 range. Their biggest weaknss is team speed, and Westbrook is probably the quickest guy in the draft next to Bayliss.

Deandre Jordan out of A&M would be a close 2nd. He's a bit of a project, but it's not like you're looking for immediate dividends. He's also the kind of big man you want in a fast paced tempo. He clears the defensive boards very well and also gets out on the break.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-13-2008 at 04:21 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Maybe so. Rose is definitely as close to a lock as you can get....but I think he will go first....and we are not getting our hands on that. We would be lucky to get the #3 pick in fact. Only if we dealt Foster, Granger and the #11 pick would we even come remotely close to getting the #1 pick. I would probably offer that up and more to get Rose.

I do suggest that if people have not seen Bayless play to look at the video clips on www.nbadraft.net and compare him to others. He is extremely talented, quick and athletic.

Edit: Oooh. Miami's back court is going to be nasty!
    Miami is hardly guaranteed a top 2 pick. Remember that the last two teams with the worst record in the league have completely lost out on the lottery and picked #4.

Foster, Granger and the #11 probably still don't get you the #1. That's no knock on Granger/Foster, just that the #1 pick hasn't been traded since 1993. And even then, the #1 was traded for the #3 and 3 future picks. Unless some knock'em dead offer comes along, the team with the #1 pick is always enamored enough with someone to keep the pick and just draft who they like.

Granger isn't going anywhere.

It isn't worth the risk to deal him for anything past #2, and no team with a top-2 pick is going to deal Beasley or Rose for him and #11.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Russell Westbrook would probably be the ideal pick for Indiana at the #11 range. Their biggest weaknss is team speed, and Westbrook is probably the quickest guy in the draft next to Bayliss.

Deandre Jordan out of A&M would be a close 2nd. He's a bit of a project, but it's not like you're looking for immediate dividends. He's also the kind of big man you want in a fast paced tempo. He clears the defensive boards very well and also gets out on the break.
    I thin Pacer fans should be happy with any 3 of those guys. Any of them would be solid selections.

no way would I trade Granger who is going to be STUD for someone we have to wait another 3 or 4 years to get to the same level.

How about JO and foster for the number 2 pick

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want Granger to go anywhere................for anyone.

This guy has played his **** off lately...............at least show a little respect.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    no way would I trade Granger who is going to be STUD for someone we have to wait another 3 or 4 years to get to the same level.

How about JO and foster for the number 2 pick
    With Beasley and Rose .... I don't think it'll be a very long wait.

And nobody is going take that much salary in JO, and Foster. lol

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Granger isn't going anywhere.

It isn't worth the risk to deal him for anything past #2, and no team with a top-2 pick is going to deal Beasley or Rose for him and #11.
    Those considering trading Granger really need to start thinking straight lol
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

I'm in agreement - DG is really making some strides here down the stretch - he's a quality guy and really right now stepping up as the leader in a sort of way - he's trying to put the team on his back and that is quite apparent to me.

Its not a sure thing where DG is going to peak at - but we sure don't know what these draft picks are going to turn out to be either. They may be great players even, but we don't know off court issues that may come up.

At this time I'd say stay with the known rather than gamble on the unknown with regard to this issue. Danny is right now the leader and the best player day in day out.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Honest question here.............

Why do we want to get rid of Granger? I know he's one of our only players with any kind of trade value, but come on people............who has kept us in playoff contention this entire season???? Danny Granger has busted his nuts for us all season and here we are trying to get rid of him..........that's awful.

We are not that far away from being a contender. I know D. Rose sounds great, but so did J. Will and look how that turned out. You never know what you're going to get out of a draft pick, but we do know what we are going to get out of Danny. He is progressing at a rate that no one could expect and I think eventually his number could be up in the rafters. Maybe I've drunk a little too much this Sunday afternoon (rough game last night), but I don't see giving up on our biggest talent just for a rookie with potential.

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    We are not that far away from being a contender.
    I stopped reading there. We are very, very, very far from being a contender.

Unless you're talking about being a contender for the playoffs or something ....

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I stopped reading there. We are very, very, very far from being a contender.

Unless you're talking about being a contender for the playoffs or something ....

-- Steve --
    Steve (from Area 51, im guessing),

We are not that far from being a contender in the East...........that's what I'm saying.............now read the rest.

well that is an interesting statement... "we are not that far away from being a contender".

It was possibly said in jest and without much thought - but if one thinks about it this way - we have a really pretty adequate if not above adequate supporting cast. Right now we just need one superstar, which I think Danny can be a terrific sidekick to.

I still don't sense that Danny is that aggressive superstar though.

So I'm not saying we are necessarily "close", but a superstar away. Of course, probably any team can make such a claim. Especially a team like Miami, who is going to likely get a bonified superstar to line up with Wade and Marion. If they get Rose look for that team to be scary.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    Steve (from Area 51, im guessing),

We are not that far from being a contender in the East...........that's what I'm saying.............now read the rest.
    Define "contender in the east."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    well that is an interesting statement... "we are not that far away from being a contender".

It was possibly said in jest and without much thought - but if one thinks about it this way - we have a really pretty adequate if not above adequate supporting cast. Right now we just need one superstar, which I think Danny can be a terrific sidekick to.

I still don't sense that Danny is that aggressive superstar though.

So I'm not saying we are necessarily "close", but a superstar away. Of course, probably any team can make such a claim. Especially a team like Miami, who is going to likely get a bonified superstar to line up with Wade and Marion. If they get Rose look for that team to be scary.
    It was not said in jest at all..........I want everyone to think about how many times we have been blown out this year............not many (the only one I can think of is SA)..........I think all year we have been one player away.......I think Danny has been evolving into that player. I know JO is getting paid about 15 million a year more than his current worth, but honestly we are not that far away, especially in the East. I'm disappointed that we (probably) aren't going to make the playoffs, but with the right pick in the draft I think we have a legitimate shot of being a contender again. Pick this apart if you want, but I'm sticking with it.

Well a couple things - and I'm not against you USF, I'm sort of with you and hope you are right.

First off, I think if JO was what he used to be 4 years ago, that this team would be in contention. Add in a healthy Tinsley and I think this team would be incredible at this point; maybe 50 wins+.

Now.

Other contenders to consider before we say the Pacers can be one -
    Pistons
    Celtics
    Heat (when everyone is healthy and if they get Rose)
    Orlando
    Cleveland as long as LeBron is there
    New York will come on over the horizon if DW is successful

Point is, I think our work is cut out for us. Maybe we can eliminate Cleveland from the above list if he does go to NYC. But we wait and see on that one.

You could say the Pacers are close to being an east contender, sure.

But if you say that, then you could say the same thing for the 76ers, Hawks, Bulls, and perhaps even the Bucks (who have Hammond taking over).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    Well a couple things - and I'm not against you USF, I'm sort of with you and hope you are right.

First off, I think if JO was what he used to be 4 years ago, that this team would be in contention. Add in a healthy Tinsley and I think this team would be incredible at this point; maybe 50 wins+.

Now.

Other contenders to consider before we say the Pacers can be one -
    Pistons
    Celtics
    Heat (when everyone is healthy and if they get Rose)
    Orlando
    Cleveland as long as LeBron is there
    New York will come on over the horizon if DW is successful

Point is, I think our work is cut out for us. Maybe we can eliminate Cleveland from the above list if he does go to NYC. But we wait and see on that one.
    Um, we're closer to being contenders than the Knicks IMO and just as good as Orlando. If we draft the right person this year, then I don't think we'll be that bad unless we get hit with injuries again.

Some people are selling this team short.

dc, i understand what you're saying, but I don't see MIL competing in the near future even with Hammond.

as far as NY goes, I love Donnie, but I think he needs a couple of years before he is even Pacers good.

If MIA gets Rose, then yes look the h*ll out, b/c they will be very good...........however, if Marion goes elsewhere they will still need some serious help.....

Lebron is the most amazing player that I have seen since Jordan, but he is going to need more help, plain and simple.......

This Pacers team (as is) with a healthy JO, some sort of help out of the Tinsley trade and a lottery pick is going to be a #3 or #4 seed out of the East.............anything can happen from there...........that's all I'm saying.......with me or against me.........I don't care.