Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End near for wideout Harrison in Indy?

Default End near for wideout Harrison in Indy?

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#1

Colts worried about Harrison, looking for WR help

LSU wide wideout Early Doucet also is scheduled to visit the Colts this weekend. The fact that the Colts have two coveted receivers coming to town could be interpreted in any number of ways, but one option would be in relation to the future of Marvin Harrison. There are questions about how much longer Harrison can and will play. -- NFL Network

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

The men of Manning
    Manningham's visit to Indianapolis is not the only one for a highly-rated receiver. LSU wide wideout Early Doucet also is scheduled to visit the Colts this weekend.

The fact that the Colts have two coveted receivers coming to town could be interpreted in any number of ways, but one option would be in relation to the future of Marvin Harrison. There are questions about how much longer Harrison can and will play.

This offseason, Harrison underwent right knee surgery that could cause him to miss the start of training camp. The right knee was not the one that bothered the eight-time Pro Bowler last season, when he missed 11 games. So Harrison is playing on two questionable knees.

As if that weren't enough of an obstacle, Harrison turns 36 years old this summer. Outside of Jerry Rice, there aren't many receivers who perform at a high level when they are closer to 40 than 30.

Indianapolis drafted wideout Anthony Gonzalez with its first-round pick last year. And even though the Colts are without a first-round pick this year, it doesn't mean that Indianapolis won't take another receiver with its top pick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: End near for wideout Harrison in Indy?

Quote Originally Posted by indyblue47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#1

Colts worried about Harrison, looking for WR help

LSU wide wideout Early Doucet also is scheduled to visit the Colts this weekend. The fact that the Colts have two coveted receivers coming to town could be interpreted in any number of ways, but one option would be in relation to the future of Marvin Harrison. There are questions about how much longer Harrison can and will play. -- NFL Network

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

The men of Manning
    Manningham's visit to Indianapolis is not the only one for a highly-rated receiver. LSU wide wideout Early Doucet also is scheduled to visit the Colts this weekend.

The fact that the Colts have two coveted receivers coming to town could be interpreted in any number of ways, but one option would be in relation to the future of Marvin Harrison. There are questions about how much longer Harrison can and will play.

This offseason, Harrison underwent right knee surgery that could cause him to miss the start of training camp. The right knee was not the one that bothered the eight-time Pro Bowler last season, when he missed 11 games. So Harrison is playing on two questionable knees.

As if that weren't enough of an obstacle, Harrison turns 36 years old this summer. Outside of Jerry Rice, there aren't many receivers who perform at a high level when they are closer to 40 than 30.

Indianapolis drafted wideout Anthony Gonzalez with its first-round pick last year. And even though the Colts are without a first-round pick this year, it doesn't mean that Indianapolis won't take another receiver with its top pick.
    Last year I was betting he wouldn't recover from it.. It's Harrison, so I left some hope up.. But ya, it IS a career ending injury, I doubt he gets past it.

Of course, this could also be a ploy by Polian
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The bottom line is he is 36 years old, and is on the wrong side of 35. Even if he makes a full recovery this off season, he can't have *that* many seasons left. Sooner or later we have to face the music, and the Colts know that they need his replacement ready once he is done.

I was upset about the fan base calling him out after his playoff performance last year. He should have been IR'd but was not, so he went out and played against San Diego. Yes he fumbled the ball but he deserves that right after playing several pro bowl season for the Colts. He did not have it that day and sat out our final possesions by choice. He did not want to hurt the team any further.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I was upset about the fan base calling him out after his playoff performance last year. He should have been IR'd but was not, so he went out and played against San Diego. Yes he fumbled the ball but he deserves that right after playing several pro bowl season for the Colts. He did not have it that day and sat out our final possesions by choice. He did not want to hurt the team any further.
    This is the same fan base that booed Adam V.

Even after the key Baltimore playoff game 2 years ago.

Hell, people on here said they wanted him cut when he was struggling this year, I thought I remembered.

Bottom-line is the Indy fan base is VERY fickle.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I REALLY hope Marvin Harrison can come back and have a great season. It would be awesome to see him be a pro bowler in the stadium that he helped build.

Even if he can come back and be productive, we still have to face the music sometime. 36 is 36, and he can't play forever. So I don't see the Colts drafting a WR as an indication that Harrison is done, but a sign that they realize that he is 36 and are merely preparing for the future.

Marvin's not done. How many guys does the average team bring in for workouts/interviews? Dozens I imagine. Polian's just covering all his bases.

Marvin sure looks like he's breaking down
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    Marvin's not done. How many guys does the average team bring in for workouts/interviews? Dozens I imagine. Polian's just covering all his bases.
    I agree. I just imagine that is it a good idea at this point to get a decent backup just in case Marvin has seen the last of his days.

I'm sure he still has plenty of gas in the tank, but face it, these players aren't going to last forever.

Im just glad he got a super bowl. He desered it more than Randy or TO. People cant forget they won't be young forever either. Marvin sure got to 36 fast. Seems like yesterday he was breaking records.

I think Marvins unquestionable work ethic will help him. I always worried about him being able to make till he was 30 because he has always been a fast food addict. But he did play on turf alot in his career so that doesnt help. Maybe he can but his same dedication into easting healthy and play at a high level into his 40s.

U never know with Marvin. I hope to see him have at least 2 more 10 td reception years and at least another SB victory.

Secret Agent Man-O.N.E. James Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This is the same fan base that booed Adam V.

Even after the key Baltimore playoff game 2 years ago.

Hell, people on here said they wanted him cut when he was struggling this year, I thought I remembered.

Bottom-line is the Indy fan base is VERY fickle.
    I think we all just got too used to being really good. Not saying we're bad now, just saying we go so used to everything going right with the offense, when one small thing goes wrong we are more upset than other teams would be.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I'm sure he still has plenty of gas in the tank, but face it, these players aren't going to last forever.
    You're right, I suppose I am a bit blinded by my love for Marvin. I just think the reports of him being done are very premature. I've seen online that his rehab's going as scheduled. Drafting a wideout wouldn't surprise me, but doing it with our first pick would. I'd like picking up Dorien Bryant with one of our 6th rounders, if for nothing more than his kick returning ability.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, we need defense and a decent kick returner. I really wish Terrance Wilkins would have stayed.

I don't think Marvin will ever have the productivity from past years. He could help the team a lot as a possession receiver but I have doubts as a long threat.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Yeah he is getting old. Hard to see him get injured like that last year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

I know I used to be vocal that Marvin was done, but the more I think about it the more optimistic I am. I mean, Andrew Bynum is 20 years old and his knee injury has had him out since January. I think it might very well take someone a year to recover from a knee injury as devastating as the one Harrison received.

But still, he is 36. He obviously can't have that many years left, regardless of whether his knee is sound or not.

What is the typical age of a retiring wide receiver?

Lets start the James Hardy Chant. We need a big tall receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    What is the typical age of a retiring wide receiver?
    Sadly, many of them hold on way too long, so I'm not sure that's a big help. But production starts to tail off around 34 or so for a lot of guys. Jacksonville's Jimmy Smith, for example, retired at 37, though he had three so-so years -- by his standards -- beforehand.

And he was a guy that probably got out earlier than most would.

Cris Carter walked away after the 2002 season at 37, but he had an injury wash out the '02 season and was just a shell in 2001 (73 catches, 871 yards).

Denver's Rod Smith retired in February, again, at 37. But he didn't play last year and had just 52 catches in 2006.

Wide Recievers tend to play a little longer because they can become possession players etc... There are a great number of WR's that have played into their late 30's but generally speaking 32-33 is where most see their productivity waiver and many retire around that time. Bill Brooks, Andre Rison, Al Toon, Herman Moore & Mark Clayton all retired at that age or earlier. But then again there's Kraft's list that excluded Henry Ellard, Art Monk, Irving Fryar, Tim Brown etc.. who all played past 35 and maintained an edge.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that reports of Marvin's demise are vastly overrated. I definitely think he should be able to recover from his injury. He may lose a step but IMO, he'll still be a viable option this season and possibly the next.

With that said, it's important that the Colts start grooming his future replacement too. Gonzo should be even better this season and it'd be nice to have at least 2 more prospects waiting in the wings.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    I think we all just got too used to being really good. Not saying we're bad now, just saying we go so used to everything going right with the offense, when one small thing goes wrong we are more upset than other teams would be.
    I disagree...kinda. This city has shown, time and time again, that is has no patience for losers, either as a team or individually. Each time a team earns a new accolade, the fan base sets the bar right at that accolade. Eventually, they can no longer top themselves, and the "fans" start grumbling. A couple bad years, and everyone's looking for the next hot thing in the city. When I was a kid it was IU, then IU/Purdue when Glenn Robinson was there. Then it was the Pacers. Now it's the Colts.

When the Colts inevitably have to rebuild (it is the NFL, after all), I seriously doubt Lucas Oil Stadium will remain more than half full, especially if the Pacers manage to rebuild and become a contender again.

Generally speaking, most WRs retire around 35-37. There are obviously always exceptions..You have the ageless wonder in Joey Galloway who is 37 or 38 and is still the #1 wideout on the Bucs and probably still runs a 4.4. Jerry Rice played effectively until he was 40 and Troy Brown was a great outstanding possession WR for the Pats and hes in his late 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    I disagree...kinda. This city has shown, time and time again, that is has no patience for losers, either as a team or individually. Each time a team earns a new accolade, the fan base sets the bar right at that accolade. Eventually, they can no longer top themselves, and the "fans" start grumbling. A couple bad years, and everyone's looking for the next hot thing in the city. When I was a kid it was IU, then IU/Purdue when Glenn Robinson was there. Then it was the Pacers. Now it's the Colts.

When the Colts inevitably have to rebuild (it is the NFL, after all), I seriously doubt Lucas Oil Stadium will remain more than half full, especially if the Pacers manage to rebuild and become a contender again.

Most cities are that way, Indy is no different.

Let's pick on Boston being a bandwagon town for a second. In 2004-2005, the Celtics averaged just 16,001 fans, or 81 % of the arenas 18,624 capacity (and they were actually a playoff team that year).

The Pacers that year averaged *more* fans, despite having a smaller stadium! They averaged 16,994 fans, despite having a smaller stadium than Boston (Conseco seats 18,345).

So are Bostonians bandwagoners as well? Looks like it. I mean, they had 2,000 empty seats a night 3 years ago, however, this year they sold out every game. That screams bandwagon to me.

This is the classic Boston Celtics we are talking about. This is a team that has won 16 championships. This is Larry Bird and Bill Russel's franchise. Yet they play in one of the largest metro areas in the US, which is always said to be one of the best sports town, and they had 2000 empty seats that year?

Maybe every city is like that? I'm not trying to pick on Boston, just trying to show that it's not just Indy who loses fans when the team goes downhill.

It never ceases to amaze me how people pick on Indy for attendance problems. Indy is one of the smallest metro areas in pro sports, and has millions and millions less people than many of the cities that it competes with, yet has stadiums that are relatively the same size. I'm sure that demand in New York for Knicks tickets has declined, but since New York has like 25 million in the area, the Knicks can almost always find 19,000 people to attend a game....even if demand has fallen by thousands.

Indy on the other hand has about 24 million less people than NY metro, but has a stadium that is just a few hundred smaller. So the lack of demand for tickets shows in the seats.