Thread: Granger taking ownership of lead role

Mood

Default Granger taking ownership of lead role

Conrad Brunner
    Pacers.com
    http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700002516

Granger taking ownership of lead role
    Apr 10, 2008

If a singular moment can signal a profound change, Danny Granger took full ownership of his role as the face of the next generation of Pacers in the closing seconds of the victory over Atlanta Tuesday night. With the game well in hand and the closing seconds ticking down, Josh Childress took flight for a dunk attempt. Rather than shrugging it off, letting it go and taking the victory, Granger instead found a few extra inches of vertical and rose up to meet Childress for a resounding block.

As he turned to run upcourt, Granger showed just a bit of a smile and shook his head as if to say, "not in my gym."

With so many other things happening this season it's been easy to either overlook or take for granted Granger's evolution. Keep in mind, he wasn't even a full-time starter until the second half of last season. Now, he's on the brink of achieving full-fledged stardom. His game has grown in layers this year; first came the 3-point shot, then came the drives, followed by more productive rebounding and increased playmaking.

In the last 10 games he has scored (21.8), rebounded (7.0) and assisted (3.0) at the highest levels of his emerging career, which is to say he is becoming exactly what the Pacers hoped when he inexplicably slipped to the No. 17 pick of the 2005 NBA Draft.

"Danny's driving the ball well," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "He's not forcing drives if the drive is shut off from him taking it to the rim. He's finding his teammates. He shoots the heck out of the basketball but he's also shooting really well off the dribble, the little step-back jumper that he has. He's becoming a heck of a basketball player."

Let's not forget on a team otherwise devoid of defensive stoppers on the perimeter, Granger also has been charged with defending the opposing team's most threatening scorer every night out.

"I think Danny will reach his potential when he becomes a dominating defensive player and I think he has that capability and he needs to challenge himself to be that," said O'Brien. "I know you're asking a lot of a third-year player but so be it. People that have that much talent, their responsibility is increased."

The thing is, Granger isn't exactly getting carried away with himself. He knows what's expected and understands it isn't fulfilled when his team is struggling just to make the playoffs, regardless of his individual numbers.

"I always thought I was better defensively my first year, probably because thatís all that I concentrated on," he said. "I wasnít trying to score. I was just trying to defend. They put me on whoever, they said go guard him and I didnít have to worry about scoring. I always thought that was my best year, but as Iím becoming more of a scorer and a go-to player itís probably a C-plus."

There is progress to be made offensively, as well. He struggled early in the season in adapting to the passing game offense and often was something of a ball-stopper. As he has grown more comfortable in the system, however, Granger has started to develop the ability to make plays for his teammates. A lot of guys can score; what separates them is the ability to use their scoring threat to create opportunities for others.

"Iíve been trying to do that in these recent games by finding shots for my teammates and not always looking for my own shot," Granger said. "I think thatís probably the next step in my game."

-----------

We are so lucky we drafted this guy.

Default Re: Granger taking ownership of lead role

If we keep drafting guys who want to work on their game then we will be in good shape.

Yeah read this earlier, Nice read
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granger owns.. And that block was AMAZING.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's great to see Granger take that role , not sure he was even asked to fill that role. Granger is doing something J.O could never seem to do or get right. That's being a leader. Granger is about the only thing these days I can get excited about watching a Pacers game. Oh , I love the guy they call Feisty Foster also.

Excuse me while I put on my flame proof suit.

Mood

I like this article about Danny. He has had a tremendous year, but more or less I like this article because it is a positive article and not another flashback of all the crap that has went on in recent years. It's refreshing to have a new topic in the national media.

Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger is doing something J.O could never seem to do or get right. That's being a leader.
    Not to flame, but what exactly is Danny doing that Jermaine has never done? Improve over the course of a season? Come up with a big block?

People's memories are pretty short.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Not to flame, but what exactly is Danny doing that Jermaine has never done? Improve over the course of a season? Come up with a big block?

Just seems to me that JO is always talking to the press. I just wish he would shut up and let his game do his talking.

Guess he doesn't trust his game to do just that, eh?

Play nearly every game for the last 3 years.

There's nothing in this article that speaks directly to Granger assuming a leadership role on this team. What it does illustrate, however, is Granger's continued development as a player both individually, as well as within the offense. If he can continue to improve and take his game to the next level such as what he eluded to in the closing line to the article, I think he'll be just fine throughout his career which could be an amazing one. And who knows, maybe he will turn out to be a very good team leader. It's how Reggie earned his respect - working hard, playing hard, practising hard, paying his dues. Granger's going through that process now. I'm confident he'll only get better over time for two reasons: 1) he's very coachable; and, 2) he challenges himself!

I love DG, there isn't another player in the NBA I'd be willing
    to trade him for !

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    I love DG, there isn't another player in the NBA someone would let go of I'd be willing
    to trade him for !
    Fixed.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

BillS-

I was being facetious. Just a little sarcastic jab at the Granger
    worshipers. DG is a nice player, but if the right deal came along,
    I'd trade him w/o hesitation.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    BillS-

I was being facetious. Just a little sarcastic jab at the Granger
    worshipers. DG is a nice player, but if the right deal came along,
    I'd trade him w/o hesitation.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

I'm sure he's played more games than J.O. in the past 3 years. He's improved each year. He doesn't talk and let's his actions do the talking. I'd rather a team built around Danny , than built around J.O.

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Just seems to me that JO is always talking to the press. I just wish he would shut up and let his game do his talking.
    He IS always talking to the press. All NBA players are always talking to the press. It's part of their job; they get fined if they don't.

I've never seen Jermaine go running to the press AntonioDavis-style, though. I've seen press guys seek him out because he's thoughtful and nice to interview.

I'm not happy about his lack of games this year and I've not been thrilled with the way the offense has run over the past few seasons, but it's hard to hate the guy for being a good interview.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
    Play nearly every game for the last 3 years.
    But that's a recent thing. A few years back Jermaine was the model of consistency.

Actually, we all were pretty worried because besides the full season and playoffs, Jermaine played three straight summers for TeamUSA. A bunch of us worried at the time that it would be a problem for him, since he never got a rest for almost 4 years. And indeed it has caught up with him, and like I said I'm fully aware of that. I wouldn't be upset if he was traded over the summer (although I don't expect it).

But saying that Danny has done something that Jermaine has never done just demonstrates a poor memory.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I like DG, but the list of teams led by a small forward who are successful in this league?

1. Cavaliers
    2. N/A

SF is just not an important position, relative to others. We can't build around him, he has to be number 2 or 3 if we're serious about being good.

Mood

I don't see why it couldn't be. A SF and SG are basically the same thing in how they play offense and defense. It CAN be different, but it doesn't have to be.

Mood

I've got my ol' 33 jersey out to wear tonight to the game!

Danny is gonna' be a star!

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I like DG, but the list of teams led by a small forward who are successful in this league?

1. Cavaliers
    2. N/A

SF is just not an important position, relative to others. We can't build around him, he has to be number 2 or 3 if we're serious about being good.
    IMO, SF is probably the hardest position to play because one has to perform nearly equally on both sides of the ball.

PG - Set-up man for the offense. Should be a very good passer w/above average court vision and ball control, but doesn't necessarily have to be a dynamic scorer.

SG - Relies far more on his offense than defense. Should be a prolific jump shooter moreso from long range than mid-range. Average knowledge of "team" defensive schemes is a most.

C - Anchors the post defense! Should have quick hands and good lateral movement. Should also be able to rebound the ball well. Exceptional scoring isn't a must, but should be adapt at putting the ball in the basket close-in, i.e., layups, dunks.

PF - Should to be very mobile and athletic. Very capable scorer particularly when using power moves to the basket. Should also be an exceptional shoot blocker.

SF - Best on-the-ball defender. Exceptional long and short-range jump shooter; should be able to score from nearly anywhere on the court. Capable post-player, as well.

No other position requires so much of one player, but most of the glory - primarily a Guard - goes to the other four positions.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post

1. Cavaliers
    2. N/A

I really agree with this. Mello and Denver might qualify...but it's a real short list.

Many times, the SF is a second or third option. If Kobe Bryant or Tracy McGrady or Vinsanity were not so highly skilled, they would probably be SF's on most teams. I think that's part of the deal. The most highly skilled swingmen become SG's...like Kobe. Michael Redd might qualify as well. These guys are basically the hired guns on the team and fill the SG position.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny's stats when he starts at guard this season are almost identical to when he starts at forward. He has played 28 games as a starting guard and 49 as a starting forward according to ESPN. The major difference is that as a starting guard he averages 20.8 PPG and as a starting forward he averages 18.1 PPG. To me, Danny Granger is a wing player in the mold of Kobe, T-Mac, Lebron, Melo etc. No he may not be as talented as though guys, but I feel he can fill a similar role. I don't see him as a two, a three, or a four, just as a wing. A guy we can stick in a bunch of situations and see him produce.

ďWE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKINGĒ- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

T-Mac G, 6'8, 223, EFF 18.84
    Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    07-08 HOU 63 59 37.0 0.425 0.299 0.680 0.7 4.6 5.2 5.8 1.0 0.5 2.48 1.40 21.9
    Career
    746 602 35.1 0.438 0.338 0.747 1.6 4.6 6.2 4.7 1.3 0.9 2.36 1.90 22.4

Kobe G, 6'6, 205, EFF 26.81
    07-08 LAL 80 80 39.1 0.461 0.361 0.838 1.2 5.2 6.4 5.4 1.9 0.5 3.14 2.80 28.5
    Career
    864 716 36.5 0.453 0.340 0.838 1.2 4.1 5.3 4.6 1.5 0.5 2.94 2.70 25.0

Lebron F, 6'8, 250, EFF 30.60
    07-08 CLE 73 72 40.4 0.484 0.315 0.715 1.8 6.1 7.9 7.2 1.9 1.1 3.36 2.20 30.3
    Career
    389 388 41.2 0.467 0.324 0.729 1.3 5.6 6.9 6.6 1.8 0.7 3.32 2.10 27.4

Melo F, 6'8, 230, EFF 23.86
    07-08 DEN 74 74 36.9 0.494 0.344 0.788 2.3 5.1 7.5 3.4 1.3 0.5 3.31 3.30 26.1
    Career
    376 376 36.6 0.463 0.292 0.796 2.0 4.0 6.0 3.0 1.1 0.4 3.11 3.00 24.5

Redd G, 6'6, 215, EFF18.59
    07-08 MIL 69 68 37.9 0.443 0.361 0.825 1.2 3.2 4.4 3.5 0.9 0.2 2.51 1.70 23.1
    Career
    514 380 33.9 0.452 0.387 0.845 1.1 3.1 4.2 2.3 1.0 0.1 1.65 1.70 20.5

Artest F, 6'7, 248, EFF 19.36
    07-08 SAC 56 53 38.0 0.453 0.377 0.719 1.8 3.9 5.7 3.5 2.3 0.7 2.59 2.80 20.5
    Career
    534 506 34.7 0.424 0.329 0.720 1.3 3.8 5.1 3.1 2.1 0.6 2.30 3.00 16.0

Granger F, 6'8, 228, EFF 18.30
    07-08 IND 77 77 35.8 0.442 0.392 0.852 1.2 4.9 6.1 2.1 1.2 1.0 2.17 3.60 19.1
    Career
    237 151 30.8 0.452 0.380 0.820 1.4 3.8 5.2 1.5 0.9 0.8 1.61 3.10 13.5

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Danny's stats when he starts at guard this season are almost identical to when he starts at forward.
    I don't even know what that means. Almost all of those games paired him with Dun on the wing. I think once or twice he's started at PF, but mostly it's him and Dun at 2-3. And if they're both on the court together, they're not switching positions back and forth between them.

Enjoy your time at PD!