This time WNBA players

http://sports.yahoo.com/wnba/recap?g...722010&prov=ap

Late scuffle mars Sparks win over ShockPreview | Box Score | Recap
    1 hour, 8 minutes ago

Buzz Up Print
    Detroit Shock's Plenette Piers…

AP - Jul 22, 8:14 pm EDT

Los Angeles Sparks' Lisa Lesli…

AP - Jul 22, 8:13 pm EDT 1 of 2 WNBA Gallery AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP)—Candace Parker scored 21 points and DeLisha Milton-Jones added 19 before both were ejected after a scuffle in the final minute as the Los Angeles Sparks held on to beat the Detroit Shock 84-81 Tuesday night.

The game turned ugly in the final seconds as a collision between Parker and Detroit’s Plenette Pierson turned into a shoving match that saw players and coaches from both teams leave the bench.

Shock assistant coach Rick Mahorn, who was involved in the Pistons-Pacers brawl on Nov. 19, 2004, as a Detroit broadcaster trying to break up the fight, appeared to shove Lisa Leslie to the floor at one point.

Parker, Milton-Jones, Pierson and Mahorn were all ejected, while Detroit’s Cheryl Ford left the floor on a wheelchair after getting injured while trying to restrain Pierson.

Detroit rallied from 21 down but missed a chance to win the game in the final 2 minutes. The Shock have now lost two straight at home after starting the season 10-0 at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Leslie finished with 10 points for Los Angeles, which swept the two-game season series.

Los Angeles Sparks' Candace Pa…

Olympic teammate Katie Smith led the Shock with 20 points.

Detroit had a chance to go ahead in the final 90 seconds when Alexis Hornbuckle stripped the ball away from Parker, her former college teammate at Tennessee. Deanna Nolan, though, lost control of the ball on what could have been a go-ahead layup, then missed a defended jumper.

Leslie hit a short jumper as the shot clock expired, moving Los Angeles’ advantage to 80-77 with 17 seconds left, then knocked a key rebound away from Nolan with 8 seconds to go.

After the lengthy delay following the scuffle, Smith hit a 3-pointer to make it 82-81 with 2.3 seconds left, but Keisha Brown clinched the game from the line.

The Shock trailed 42-21 in the second quarter as they struggled to guard Parker. The rookie had 15 points in the half on 6-of-9 shooting despite constant attention from the defense.

Detroit, though, was able to take control of the game on the boards in the third quarter, and cut the margin to 57-49 on Smith’s 3-pointer late in the period.

The Sparks took a 62-52 lead into the fourth, but the Shock pulled within five on Hornbuckle’s 3-pointer with 4:46 to play.

Here's the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uwo8hqKM3s
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 07-22-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Default Rick Mahorn pushes Lisa Leslie to the ground?

http://sports.yahoo.com/wnba/recap?g...722010&prov=ap

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP)—Candace Parker scored 21 points and DeLisha Milton-Jones added 19 before both were ejected after a scuffle in the final minute as the Los Angeles Sparks held on to beat the Detroit Shock 84-81 Tuesday night.

The game turned ugly in the final seconds as a collision between Parker and Detroit’s Plenette Pierson turned into a shoving match that saw players and coaches from both teams leave the bench.

Shock assistant coach Rick Mahorn, who was involved in the Pistons-Pacers brawl on Nov. 19, 2004, as a Detroit broadcaster trying to break up the fight, appeared to shove Lisa Leslie to the floor at one point.

Parker, Milton-Jones, Pierson and Mahorn were all ejected, while Detroit’s Cheryl Ford left the floor on a wheelchair after getting injured while trying to restrain Pierson.

Detroit rallied from 21 down but missed a chance to win the game in the final 2 minutes. The Shock have now lost two straight at home after starting the season 10-0 at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Leslie finished with 10 points for Los Angeles, which swept the two-game season series.

Los Angeles Sparks' Candace Pa…

Olympic teammate Katie Smith led the Shock with 20 points.

Detroit had a chance to go ahead in the final 90 seconds when Alexis Hornbuckle stripped the ball away from Parker, her former college teammate at Tennessee. Deanna Nolan, though, lost control of the ball on what could have been a go-ahead layup, then missed a defended jumper.

Leslie hit a short jumper as the shot clock expired, moving Los Angeles’ advantage to 80-77 with 17 seconds left, then knocked a key rebound away from Nolan with 8 seconds to go.

After the lengthy delay following the scuffle, Smith hit a 3-pointer to make it 82-81 with 2.3 seconds left, but Keisha Brown clinched the game from the line.

The Shock trailed 42-21 in the second quarter as they struggled to guard Parker. The rookie had 15 points in the half on 6-of-9 shooting despite constant attention from the defense.

Detroit, though, was able to take control of the game on the boards in the third quarter, and cut the margin to 57-49 on Smith’s 3-pointer late in the period.

The Sparks took a 62-52 lead into the fourth, but the Shock pulled within five on Hornbuckle’s 3-pointer with 4:46 to play.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rick Mahorn pushes Lisa Leslie to the ground?

I don't know what his intentions were but he sure did put both hands on her and she went flying to the floor.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Default Re: Another brawl at the Palace

I really hope Cheryl Ford's injury isn't serious. I'd hate to see someone trying to prevent more fighting getting badly hurt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was a frustrating game to watch. It was very easy to see the smallest little thing touching off a meelee, and it did. The referees did their level best job to **** off everyone as much as possible. I think they set a record for reversing good calls into bad ones in the 4th quarter and totally missing several cheap shots that they had no business missing.

I was sorry to see Cheryl tear her knee up trying to play peacemaker, but she should never have been allowed back on the court after the first injury. Laimbeer is totally at fault for that.

And Lisa Leslie is a joke. She gets pushed out of the pile, takes a little fall and spends the next 10 minutes crying her eyes out on the bench and whining about how mahorn shoved her. She spent half her postgame interview whining about how she's a mother and a role model and she shouldn't have been pushed, whatever.

It was a joke how Ford was being carted off with a torn knee keeping a straight face while Leslie was shedding tears over a bruised butt. Drama queen.

My only condolence is that two of LA's three best players will be suspended a while for this.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-22-2008 at 11:34 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And again unnecessary aggression by the Detroit team set it off. Big surprise. Good to see they're still keeping it classy up there.

Shouldn't this be moved to the WNBA thread? It has enough cobwebs as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And again unnecessary aggression by the Detroit team set it off. Big surprise. Good to see they're still keeping it classy up there.
    Candace Parker spent the better part of the end half taking little cheap shots at several players. This wasn't even close to being all on the Shock.

Her little takedown of Pearson after the FT was what started it. She's a spoiled brat.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Mood

Can we add a new forum award for least surprising post of the year. I knew as soon as I saw this that kstat would be here trying to convince everyone that Detroit is the victim here.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Can we add a new forum award for least surprising post of the year. I knew as soon as I saw this that kstat would be here trying to convince everyone that Detroit is the victim here.
    Actually, the least surprising post was the initial one.

I never said they were the victim. I'm simply saying they aren't the villain.

I'm beyond irritated with LA's drama acting, trying to play the innocent victim.

-Parker taking little shots during the game and running away as fast as she can.

-Leslie taking a lighter fall than most of us do at the YMCA and then crying her eyes out trying to draw attention to herself when another player was ACTUALLY injured.

-Milton-Jones throwing a sucker-punch at Mahorn's back, and then doing her best Candace impersonation and running away when Mahorn turned around.

Did the Shock want to go at it with the Sparks? Oh yeah. But LA wasn't exactly nice either.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-23-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Wait a minute, you mean there is a Womans NBA?

I saw the clip and couldn't believe Mahorn pushed a player.
    Last edited by Moses; 07-23-2008 at 12:01 AM.

In my book, Candace Parker can do whatever the hell she wants, she's the Beyonce of the WNBA.

This whole thing would've been hilarious if Ford didn't injure herself.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    In my book, Candace Parker can do whatever the hell she wants, she's the Beyonce of the WNBA.
    I'm ok with that opinion. She is pretty.

The problem is, Candace Parker thinks the same thing.

...if she wants to keep her face pretty, she probably shouldn't be goading other players that are big enough to kick her ***.

As someone who watched this thing happen in real-time, kstat, can you fill the rest of us in on the precise roles everyone played?

Who was Ben Wallace? Ron Artest? Steve Jack? Ben Wallace's fat brother?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was the most exciting two minutes of WNBA basketball I've ever seen.

This was more like the NY / Denver brawl. Sub-par entertainment. Not enough druggys.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That was the most exciting two minutes of WNBA basketball I've ever seen.
    That was the only two minutes of WNBA basketball I've ever seen.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    As someone who watched this thing happen in real-time, kstat, can you fill the rest of us in on the precise roles everyone played?

Who was Ben Wallace? Ron Artest? Steve Jack? Ben Wallace's fat brother?
    the incident that preceded the incident (Artest) was definitely Cheryl Ford ripping the ball out of Parker's hands after the foul. Still not sure why Parker got so hot about it. It isn't like she was getting shoved.

The incident that touched it off (Wallace) was Parker taking down Pearson after the FT. Again, she couldn't just came out and hit her, she had to pull her to the ground and make it look like they got tangled up.

The one that came in ready to fight (Jax) Was Pearson. It took three shock players to pull her back from dismembering Candace Parker.

the Ben Wallace's fat brother award goes to Milton-Jones, who sucker-punched Mahorn from behind.

Of course, his brother didn't leave a smoke trail in the other direction after he threw his punches, but to be fair he also didn't throw a punch at a guy Mahorn's size...
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-23-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Those poor Detroit players. They work on being the tough girls of the league, but then it's not their fault when things escalate. No, sir. Blame the other team.

Banned

Sure ain't gonna get much better than this!!
    AHAHAHAHHAHA

Lisa Leslie: Ahh no I'm Lisa Leslie I just had a baby.. don't push me Mahoorrrrrnnnnnn!

Rick Mahorn: Shut up b***h! I'm the the assistant head coach of the Detroit Shock!

Indiana Fever Head Coach, Lin Dunn's Response: I'm gonna eat Bill Laimbeer for breakfast and make a knock out on Karl Malones daughter!
    Last edited by FerengiMiller; 07-23-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Those poor Detroit players. They work on being the tough girls of the league, but then it's not their fault when things escalate. No, sir. Blame the other team.
    "What? A fight broke out at the Palace? It must be the Detroit players. It MUST be them! I don't even need to see what happened, my mind is already made up!"

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

My wife just asked, "how are the Pacers going to get blamed for this?"
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    My wife just asked, "how are the Pacers going to get blamed for this?"
    Blamed? They won't... but their name and the original brawl will be brought up often in the articles about this.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I dunno.

I'll bet the Pacers start the season with at least one suspended player because of this.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The WNBA is irrelevant anyway. What's with all the emotions? It's hysterical.