Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which would you rather have, a cerebral player or an athletic player?

Default Which would you rather have, a cerebral player or an athletic player?

My question is which would you rather have, someone with a high basketball IQ, or someone that could 'jump out of the gym.'

I'm talking cerebral player vs athletic player wherein the athletic player was the obviously better player, but the cerebral player was a good player himself.

I'd rather have the cerebral player because I thinks 'smart's' can take you further.

I can't come up with a basketball story, but as an example of what I'm talking about I watched a movie one time where there were two guys fighting with swords and one was clearly the better swordfighter, but he died in the end because the other swordfighter did something unexpected and grabbed the better swordfighters sword in his barehand and held it.

Another question. Which players in this years coming draft are thought to have high basketball IQ's? I would say Love, and Augustine, but who else?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Which would you rather have, a cerebral player or an athletic player?

I think this could easily turn into a Dunleavy vs. Shawne Williams debate. I'd rather have the cerebral guy anyday, but to each his own. Not to mention I say that, but man having Josh Smith would sure be entertaining after seeing him last night.

Edit: By no means did I mean anything racial about Dunleavy/Williams. I just think it's obvious that Mike is very fundamentally sound, kind of like a coach on the floor......and Shawne has all the athleticism in the world, but looks lost at times......
    Last edited by BPump33; 04-09-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Just to clarify......
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Mood

Default Re: Which would you rather have, a cerebral player or an athletic player?

An idiot who can jump is no better than a genius stiff. So neither.

Well, this is kind of like the question:

"In spring training, two guys run to first base in exactly the same time. The first has great form, the second is all knees and elbows, appearing to be on the verge of falling the whole way. Which guy do you take?"

The answer to that is you take the guy who looked awful, because he'll be that much faster when you teach him form.

Based on that, you take the athlete. The problem is that so few guys learn anymore. I think that's an indictment of both the players and the coaching system.

I think I'd probably lean more towards taking the athlete because you should have more control over the ability to teach him the cerebral part of the game, where as you're never going to get the cerebral player to be taller, faster, or jump higher.

Of course, we're just talking about one player here, so the real question is "What does the rest of the team look like?" That would go a long way towards the final decision.

For the Pacers, right now, I think I'd take a cerebral player, but that's largely because I think we need a Point Guard to run the team.

I'd take the athletic guy. Basketball IQ to a degree can be learned and coached up, athleticism can't.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie Miller is a great example of a player who not only knew the game, but he could use his knowledge to play the game...well. We need someone who does know the game, but can play. I'm not saying we need another Reggie, but someone who can harness the mental ability and use it to his advantage.

Banned

Impossible to say without knowing the skill level of each player. I'd take whomever was the more productive of the two.

Using Kenny Williams (for those who remember him) as an example
    of a kid who could 'jump out of the gym', but didn't have a clue how
    to play, I'd take the other guy.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying we need another Reggie,
    Boy, oh boy, do we need another Reggie.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Boy, oh boy, do we need another Reggie.
    Another Reggie would be niace, but you can never re-create Captain Clutch.

Cerebral. Dudes like Ndubi Ebi, James White, and currently Gerald Green simply don't give you anything because the game is foreign to them.

Give me a player who's underwhelming but can still produce something.

Basketball IQ is something i think is never thought. it is learned simply through years of playing the game and experience. I believe that no matter how many times you teach a low "IQ athletic basketeer" they would learn but only to an extent as more of it is instincts. guys like Steve Nash who aren't that athletic but have superb Basketball IQ. They often see the play before it happens and i think this is a gift just as much as an athletic ability.

so i take CEREBRAL
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by andreialta View Post
    Basketball IQ is something i think is never thought. it is learned simply through years of playing the game and experience. I believe that no matter how many times you teach a low "IQ athletic basketeer" guys like Steve Nash who aren't that athletic but have superb Basketball IQ. They often see the play before it happens and i think this is a gift just as much as an athletic ability.

so i take CEREBRAL
    Steve Nash is incredibly athletic and coordinated.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Cerebral. Dudes like Ndubi Ebi, James White, and currently Gerald Green simply don't give you anything because the game is foreign to them.

Give me a player who's underwhelming but can still produce something.
    After game 2 of the season this year vs. the Heat, I was on the Kevin Lee call-in show and told him that we never had a legit "superstar". We had Reggie, but I believe that he was severely underrated by the media and the league.

I believe that this still stands true to this day. We do have a little bit of talent, but some goes unnoticed.

I bet you he is not as athletic as half the pg in this league. Nash says himself he just works harder than other pgs.

For me its all in your willingness to work at your game. Athletic or not if you don't work at your game then you'll waste what ever God given talent you had.

This topic is alittle misleading like your born with a finite amount of athleticism or brains. In either case you can overcome them if you just get in the gym and put some work in.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    My question is which would you rather have, someone with a high basketball IQ, or someone that could 'jump out of the gym.'

I'm talking cerebral player vs athletic player wherein the athletic player was the obviously better player, but the cerebral player was a good player himself.

I'd rather have the cerebral player because I thinks 'smart's' can take you further.

I can't come up with a basketball story, but as an example of what I'm talking about I watched a movie one time where there were two guys fighting with swords and one was clearly the better swordfighter, but he died in the end because the other swordfighter did something unexpected and grabbed the better swordfighters sword in his barehand and held it.
    Another question. Which players in this years coming draft are thought to have high basketball IQ's? I would say Love, and Augustine, but who else?
    But was Rob Roy really that much smarter? Or did he use his superior physical ability to win that sword match?

Sports Logo

If we are to stick with JO'Bs Team Defense that requires an actual understanding of where to be and what to do at a certain time on the defensive end....then I would much rather have a Basketball IQ guy then an athletic guy.

There is no amount atheticsm that is going to help a player if he doesn't understand where he needs to be when we execute our defense.

However, if we are talking about a "smart Basketball" player that is slow as molasses and doesn't possess any physical skills....then as Mal pointed out...I would want neither. Both would be liablities on the court.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't think he's a super athlete in terms of running jumping, but he's quick with the ball. I'm sure a lot of guys can beat him running up and down the court, but how many can do it dribbling a ball while eluding defenders?

He's also got incredible balance. You here this term used from MMA fighters all the time. He can get bumped while he's dribbling but still have the balance and coordination to put up a fadeaway jumper, keep dribbling or make a pass.

Bird was another guy with an absolutely insane level of balance.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

It depends on individual circumstances.

This team needs some more athleticism, so I lean toward athletic players. Im all for smart guys, Diener and Dunleavy are both high IQ guys but their defensive shortcomings (due to a lack of lateral quickness) is a big part of our problem. The last thing we need on this team is anymore defensive liabilites.

Ideally you want both, but nobody wants an athletic freak with no skills or smarts, and nobody wants a genius with no athletic ability who cant defend or drive on anybody. Balance it out.

I see the argument for the athelete because some "smarts" can be learned, thats why I think attitude needs to be taken into account. An athalete who is a known hardworker that is raw skillwise is an easier risk to take than one with questionable character. This is one reason I want nothing to do with Deandre Jordan.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    But was Rob Roy really that much smarter? Or did he use his superior physical ability to win that sword match?
    Well the other guy didn't in turn grab Roy's sword with his bare hand, and got perforated, which in turn let his life's blood run out, so I would say Roy was at least the quicker thinker. I love unexpected endings like that! When the good guy wins of course.

I don't consider Shawne Williams particularly athletic...but I could be in the minority there.

As for cerebral or athletic...I would go with cerebral for bigger players and athletic for smaller ones...except PG.

If you are small, it does not matter how cerebral you are because you will not play in the NBA. If you are big, you can play one of the less athletic positions at PF and/or C and do just fine.

BTW, if you have no athletic or cerebral ability whatsoever, you will not play in the NBA.

If I had to choose between the two as the most important...I would say cerebral. IMO, for 3 of the 5 positions cerebral is more important. No question that's true for the PG. PF and C are also positions that do not require the greatest athlete in the world. For example, there are many bigs more athletic than Duncan and Dirk, but not so many as good.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I don't think he's a super athlete in terms of running jumping, but he's quick with the ball. I'm sure a lot of guys can beat him running up and down the court, but how many can do it dribbling a ball while eluding defenders?

He's also got incredible balance. You here this term used from MMA fighters all the time. He can get bumped while he's dribbling but still have the balance and coordination to put up a fadeaway jumper, keep dribbling or make a pass.

Bird was another guy with an absolutely insane level of balance.
    Running and jumping is just one facet of athleticism though - explosiveness.

http://khondorssportsblog.wordpress....sm-in-the-nba/

Good read, mentions Bird just as you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Using Kenny Williams (for those who remember him) as an example
    of a kid who could 'jump out of the gym', but didn't have a clue how
    to play, I'd take the other guy.
    Williams was the first player that came to mind about half way thru the first post.

A player with a high BB IQ can make the athletic player better.

Yeah, I'm going with "neither." I don't want the smart stiff or the mentally-absent athletic freak.

Both of those guys are going to be 15th men. I want the guy who has both of those.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

At a distance, I'd say Cerebral > Athletic to me. Both are really vague terms, and can be applied differently. I think a breakdown by position is valid, as I'd rather have a cerebral PG and an athletic freak SF.

I would prefer a Cerebral coach.