Thread: Expansion Draft Prearranged Deals

Default Expansion Draft Prearranged Deals

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...6958088010.xml

"The Blazers might even consider leaving Abdur-Rahim (one year, $14.6 million), Anderson (three years, $27.3 million), Patterson (three years, $19 million) or Stoudamire (one year, $12.5 million) unprotected, assuming Charlotte won't touch those contracts. But such a move would come with risk. The Bobcats could prearrange deals, select a high-salaried player in the expansion draft, then trade him."

This is something I hadn't considered in all of the expansion draft talk. How might this affect the Pacers' plans?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Mood

Default Re: Expansion Draft Prearranged Deals

They could trade Cro?

Really, I don't know what kind of things could happen there.

I guess if a team left a star player with a big contract unprotected, it would be a clever move by the Bobcats to snatch him up and trade him. But they have a limited cap to work with, and nobody's gonna leave their real superstars unprotected, so it would be pretty tough for them to find a good deal.

I don't think it really affects us much. We probably wouldn't mind much if they took Cro. And if we happen to leave Reggie unprotected, I don't see them gaining much for him in a trade, so they probably wouldn't be too interested. Unless they have a reason to **** us off.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

LAPacer

Maybe, because of the expansion draft, it will cause the blockbuster trades to happen earlier.

Zesty

And if we happen to leave Reggie unprotected, I don't see them gaining much for him in a trade, so they probably wouldn't be too interested.
    They'd have several reasons to take Reggie. He's still somewhat effective (though I doubt he'd start anywhere but for the Pacers), he's got TONS of veteran experience, and he's a complete professional on and off the court, so he'd be a good influence/mentor for the younger players they're going to end up with. No way do LB/DW leave him unprotected.

I guess if a team left a star player with a big contract unprotected, it would be a clever move by the Bobcats to snatch him up and trade him. But they have a limited cap to work with, and nobody's gonna leave their real superstars unprotected, so it would be pretty tough for them to find a good deal.

I don't think it really affects us much. We probably wouldn't mind much if they took Cro. And if we happen to leave Reggie unprotected, I don't see them gaining much for him in a trade, so they probably wouldn't be too interested. Unless they have a reason to **** us off.
    The other side of that is that perhaps we could be a team that is on the receiving end of a trade facilitated by the Bobcats. For example, a team leaves an overpaid but quality player off their protected list, the Bobcats pick that player and trades him to the Pacers (and since the Bobcats will be under the cap, presumably they could take back a contract that doesn't have to match that of the player they're trading).
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

LAPacer

The other side of that is that perhaps we could be a team that is on the receiving end of a trade facilitated by the Bobcats. For example, a team leaves an overpaid but quality player off their protected list, the Bobcats pick that player and trades him to the Pacers (and since the Bobcats will be under the cap, presumably they could take back a contract that doesn't have to match that of the player they're trading).
    If they do that for the Pacers, Charlotte will be my 2nd favorite team

That sounds like a loophole that Cuban might want to take advantage of-- trade Charlotte a cheap player for an expensive one cliamed in the draft--

but any team intent on not increasing payroll can be ruled out, and that would include the Pacers.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Charlotte's cap is VERY restricted. About 39 mil IIRC.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I think if Charlotte picks a player then the team losing a player receives a trade exception. I suspect the Mavs may leave A. Walker unprotected. If the bobcats select him, then the Mavs receive a 14 million trade excpetion which might be quite valuable to teams trying to clear cap space. What does Scot pollard make?

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Taking advantage of this is the kind of underhanded move that I would expect Isiah Thomas to take advantage of. Is he friends w/the Bobcats owner?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Charlotte will have a Salary Cap in its first season equal to 66% of the
    Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league (estimated at $30,000,000)
    and a Salary Cap in its second season equal to 75% of the Salary Cap
    applicable to the rest of the league.

A $30 million cap makes it very hard for Charlotte to facilate a trade or even pick a high priced player for themselves.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

it could work though if charlotte has an under-the-cap team on the other end willing to take on a high-priced player. this will depend of course if the high-priced player is attractive enough. atlanta and utah, for example, are not what you would call prime free agent locations, and so might be interested.