Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for out of state fans.

LAPacer

Default Question for out of state fans.

Are fans in your city/state as blatantly bandwagon as Laker fans. Every year I see these laker car flags. Its pretty sad. Why? Not because they are supporting their team, but because of how they do it. When the Laker's swept through the playoffs and only lost one game to Philly a few years back, the flags were everywhere throughout the entire playoffs. This year is about as blatant bandwagon as you can get. I didn't see any flags until they were up on San Antonio 3-2. Then, they started appearing everywhere. I would see thousands and thousands of them on my way to work throughout the Timberwolves series. Now, after the loss to Detroit in game 1, I've seen 2 Laker car flags during my commute to work these past 2 days. Even my Laker fan buddies agree, that there are plenty of bandwagoners here. Do other states like SA, NJ, Sac, Mia, etc have that exact same blatant style or is it just LA?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Question for out of state fans.

Since I've been in Chicago (June of 2000), the Bulls have always been a joke. So nobody has cared.

Which is complete proof that *all* of the Bulls/ Jordan fans of the 1990s were bandwagon jumpers. They were just able to spend longer than normal on the same bandwagon.

Why do you think Sam Smith spends so much time covering the Lakers? Don't you know that with Phil Jackson in charge, that everybody up here that still follows the NBA (and there aren't many of those) considers the Lakers to be the 'home team' now.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I am often called out because I am a Pacers fan in virginia, but most people who know me know I have been one my whole life

as for bandwagon fans, when your pro teams are the wizards, orioles, and Redskins, you really dont have any bandwagon to jump onto, lol (I just got Redskins seasons tickets 10 minutes ago maybe know they will start winning)
    GO Skins! (however, they are my SECOND favorite team...GO COLTS!!)

And yes, Bulls fans are TOTAL bandwagoners. No one even talks about them here. (except my roomie, who is a Chicago sports freak)
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I lived in Cleveland for 4 years (college)... The Cavs were pretty terrible (I remember getting 3rd row from the court tickets for $15 for a Pacers game)... until Lebron arrived... Only now do people start paying attention to the Cavs on a regular basis... However, I do know some hardcore fans that followed them all the way.
    Here, everyone have a : on me

I've never been able to figure out how someone can say, "I used to be a fan of X team but I don't like them any more."

WTF is that?

I've been able to swap sort of my "second team" for each sport. Usually when I move somewhere I start following the local team and usually wish them well, but they never replace my original team.

Sometimes it even screws things up. I liked the Pacers until 1994 when the wars with the Knicks began (might have even taken me two years to decide I hated the Pacers).

I don't get it. Since I moved to Indiana I've casually rooted for the Colts, Purdue and Pacers (for a while) but they've never replaced the Cowboys, Syracuse & Knicks.

I wish someone WOULD tell me how to quit being a Knick fan because I'm sure it's taken some years off my life over the last decade. I always figure being a true fan of a team was something that somehow got ingrained into you and you'd never let it go.

I became a Knicks fan when I was about 10 and some Knicks were making an appearance at what would become Crossgates Mall in Albany. Clyde Frazier picked me up and set me on the table he was at, saying, "Who do we have here?" That's part of me now.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I guess you could say I jumped on the Spurs bandwagon when I moved down here. It helped that they won the title that year. I would have been even happier though if the Pacers had beat the Knicks and then the Spurs to win the title.

Fans here are pretty hard core about the Spurs. I guess since they are the only team in town it helps. There are a number of Laker fans here since Shaq went to high school here for 2 years. The rest of the people that are Lakers fans here do it just to get the Spurs fans going.

sweabs

Up here, I would have to say that the Raptors are the favourite. Then, in a close second behind them it would have to be Dallas. Everyone up here practically WORSHIPS the ground Steve Nash walks on, so I would say they are the next popular...very close to of course the Lakers. These Lakers fans up here make me sick.

Plus, a lot of kids these days wear the jersey for strictly fashion purposes and don't know anything about the team. Then playoffs start, and they wear their jersey claiming the "Lakers dynasty" will never be beaten

Zesty

I've got a buddy who drives me absolutely crazy. He doesn't really like the Colts or Pacers (he hates Reggie Miller), which is fine, but some of his reasoning is just ridiculous. Part of the reason he doesn't like the Colts? Their uniforms are too boring and need a second primary color added to them.

Got lots of Kings and Lakers fans here and most of them are bandwagon.
    I'm sure if and when the W's get back on track they'll be "long suffering Warriors fans" then.

What bugs me is those celebrity fans they insist on showing at the Lakers' games. Jack Nicholson doesn't count because he is always there, but the other celebs who go to the games to "be seen" are annoying.

Also, why do the cameras only show the celebs while the Lakers are winning the game? I was watching for the celeb shots when they were losing the other night, but they never showed them. I would love to have seen the camera follow Sly Stallone as he heads for the limo early to beat the traffic.

LAPacer

What bugs me is those celebrity fans they insist on showing at the Lakers' games. Jack Nicholson doesn't count because he is always there, but the other celebs who go to the games to "be seen" are annoying.

Also, why do the cameras only show the celebs while the Lakers are winning the game? I was watching for the celeb shots when they were losing the other night, but they never showed them. I would love to have seen the camera follow Sly Stallone as he heads for the limo early to beat the traffic.
    good post.. but i'd much rather see the blonde stallone was with than stallone himself.

Bucks fans are Bucks fans. You hear them when the team is good and bad. They can't even be compared to Lakers fans. Packer fans are by far the best. It does not matter if the team brings home the vince lombardy trophy or if they are 4-12...the Packers are alwalys, always, always HUGE in Wisconsin.

I've never been able to figure out how someone can say, "I used to be a fan of X team but I don't like them any more."

WTF is that?
    When I was a kid growing up, I use to spend the summers with my father in Dallas. It coincided with the birth of the Cowboys and I loved them from the start - and yes, even when they went 0-11-1. My passion for the Cowboys was equal to that of the Pacers.

I could have never seen that changing. Then along came Jerry Jones (who treated Tom Landry like dirt) and hired the coach I most despised - Jimmy Johnson. Oh but wait, I had forgotten, the next coach I hated even more - Barry Switzer. Those Cowboys weren't my team and, in my mind, became a classless organization. Couldn't even name you 5 starters.

The class of an organization is important to me. So . . . the only team I have ever been a lifelong fan of is the Pacers. Yes, I do pull for the Colts now.

Oops I just noticed this was for out-of-state fans. I guess I should delete it then.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Are fans in your city/state as blatantly bandwagon as Laker fans. Every year I see these laker car flags. Its pretty sad. Why? Not because they are supporting their team, but because of how they do it. When the Laker's swept through the playoffs and only lost one game to Philly a few years back, the flags were everywhere throughout the entire playoffs. This year is about as blatant bandwagon as you can get. I didn't see any flags until they were up on San Antonio 3-2. Then, they started appearing everywhere. I would see thousands and thousands of them on my way to work throughout the Timberwolves series. Now, after the loss to Detroit in game 1, I've seen 2 Laker car flags during my commute to work these past 2 days. Even my Laker fan buddies agree, that there are plenty of bandwagoners here. Do other states like SA, NJ, Sac, Mia, etc have that exact same blatant style or is it just LA?
    The Indy bandwagon loaded up too, if you're going by car flags. I noticed a lot more after I got back from vacation (after ECF game 1) than before I left........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

When the Laker's swept through the playoffs and only lost one game to Philly a few years back, the flags were everywhere throughout the entire playoffs. This year is about as blatant bandwagon as you can get. I didn't see any flags until they were up on San Antonio 3-2. Then, they started appearing everywhere. I would see thousands and thousands of them on my way to work throughout the Timberwolves series. Now, after the loss to Detroit in game 1, I've seen 2 Laker car flags during my commute to work these past 2 days. Even my Laker fan buddies agree, that there are plenty of bandwagoners here.
    I live in LA, too, and see the exact same thing. Pathetic.

Here's how I remedy it. I was watching the Pistons/Lakers game at a friend's house. At the beginning of the 4th quarter, when it looked like the Pistons had a good shot at winning the game, my friend and I went to a nearby bar where I often go to watch games. Nothing better than seeing bandwagoners slink out of a bar after a Lakers loss and drive off into the LA night with their horns silent.

I tend to like to root for the home team no matter where I grew up. Since i relocated to Dallas from Evansville in 1980, I root for the Cowboys, Mavs and Rangers. So i'm proud to be a bandwagon fan.

I was an ABA fan and the Pacers were the team. The Red, White and blue b-ball and ABA were total greatness. They were my favorite pro team during that time. As far as the NBA, I always liked Sloan, Havlicek and Oscar. I probably rooted for the Sloan teams more. After the ABA/NBA merger or whatever it was called, I really didn't know who to associate with between the Bulls and Pacers. They were both pretty bad in the late 70's as were the Celts. Then came Larry Bird and the Dallas Mavericks. I chose to be a fan of the expansion Mavs where i had just moved to. In the meantime I rooted for Bird and company. Afterall, what can you expect from an expansion team.

In the NFL, I was a Bears fan until Gale Sayers left. They stunk. I switched to being a Miami fan cause Bob Griese was from Evansville. Actually saw him play high scholl ball when I was 5 or 6. After Griese left I settled on the bengals until moving to Dallas. As soon as Troy Aikman was drafted, I bought season tix to the Cowboys. Was a huge Troy fan when he played college. I don't know how bandwagon that is. I had lived in dallas for 8 years and they were pretty bad when Troy joined them. Now that Troy has moved on I really only follow the NFL now for fantasy football. I'm more likely to want to watch the Bengals than the Cowboys now. Plus, I really liked Carson Palmer when he played at USC.

I suspect that the Reds will always be at the top of my baseball list though I will root for the rangers in the AL. The Big Red machine of the 70's was above any team and any sport in my eyes during their time.

The team that I follow with the most passion is IU in basketball. That will never change. When on business trips, I find the place to watch them on the dish. I would imagine I will never root against the Reds or IU but the NBA and NFL are subject to change depending on where I might wind up living.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, the Spurs fans are definitley very loyal considering their the only show in town. But like Sycamore said, since Shaq played his High School ball here their are a fair share of Laker fans. Where in SA are you Sycamore ??
    Follow me on Twitter! @Hookjaw_Rox

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Plenty of Laker fans in Detroit. But on the other hand, there are a ton of basketball fans in Detroit.

The immense Laker hate in Detroit keeps them quiet.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Yeah, the Spurs fans are definitley very loyal considering their the only show in town. But like Sycamore said, since Shaq played his High School ball here their are a fair share of Laker fans. Where in SA are you Sycamore ??
    I live in the Kirby/Converse area near the Woodlake Golf club.

I will give Spurs fans credit for having class too. When we played them down here and I was at the game with my gear on and cheering I never felt threatened or worried that I wouldn't make it out alive.

Zesty

There are tons of fairweather fans here in Indy. A little disappointing, but what can you do? I really don't have a big problem with it. The local team does well, it gives people in the area who might not otherwise follow them something to talk about, something for all of them to support. One of the reasons I really like going to sporting events rather than watching them on TV is the experience of being around several thousand people who are all pulling for the same thing. The only time I have a problem with the fairweather fans is when they start talking smack or profess to be lifelong fans or whatever.

While we are on this topic, how are INdiana fans? Are there a lot of bandwagoners. I can say I only know one here in VA, and he is more or a Reggie Miller fan that a Pacers fan
    The answer is yes.

The answer also is, you won't find them on this forum (probably not on the "other" forum either).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I live in the Kirby/Converse area near the Woodlake Golf club.

I will give Spurs fans credit for having class too. When we played them down here and I was at the game with my gear on and cheering I never felt threatened or worried that I wouldn't make it out alive.

Ok, I know where that is, some of my best friends went to Judson HS. Yeah most my friends are die hard Spurs fans and Spurs fans in general are respectable. I was at the game also (damn Turkoglu) in Pacers gear and didn't have anyone as much make a smart *** comment to me. I always root for the Spurs (except of course when playing us), they got a good GM, a good system, and I like the team in general. Still waiting for another Ex-ABA team Finals except with the Pacers instead of the Nets against the Spurs. I thought this might be the year, but both teams will continue to be in position to make this happen in the near future.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Hookjaw_Rox

LAPacer

When the Laker's swept through the playoffs and only lost one game to Philly a few years back, the flags were everywhere throughout the entire playoffs. This year is about as blatant bandwagon as you can get. I didn't see any flags until they were up on San Antonio 3-2. Then, they started appearing everywhere. I would see thousands and thousands of them on my way to work throughout the Timberwolves series. Now, after the loss to Detroit in game 1, I've seen 2 Laker car flags during my commute to work these past 2 days. Even my Laker fan buddies agree, that there are plenty of bandwagoners here.
    I live in LA, too, and see the exact same thing. Pathetic.

Here's how I remedy it. I was watching the Pistons/Lakers game at a friend's house. At the beginning of the 4th quarter, when it looked like the Pistons had a good shot at winning the game, my friend and I went to a nearby bar where I often go to watch games. Nothing better than seeing bandwagoners slink out of a bar after a Lakers loss and drive off into the LA night with their horns silent.
    I wonder if we'll start seeing more of the flags again if the lakers win tonight or only if they go up in the series.

bp, are you pulling for Detroit or LA? Does kobe annoy you or do you think he is "the best player on the planet"? Does Stu Lance bug the **** out of you? Do you think Shaq is truly MDE? I'm just curious what another LA resident thinks of the Lakers.

bp, are you pulling for Detroit or LA?
    Funny you should ask. Before the series started I thought I wouldn't really care who won. But as the Pistons started taking it to the Lakers in game 1, I started to believe that the Pistons just might be able to wipe that smug grin off the collective faces of the fans and players (Kobe in particular).

Does kobe annoy you or do you think he is "the best player on the planet"?
    See above. Smug is the first word that comes to mind when I think of Kobe.

Does Stu Lance bug the **** out of you?
    I don't really pay attention to him.

Do you think Shaq is truly MDE?
    What is MDE?

Where do you live in LA, LAPacer?

LAPacer

What is MDE?

Where do you live in LA, LAPacer?
    MDE is his self proclaimed nickname. Most Dominant Ever. I live in Brea, how about you?