Thread: Bill Simmons on Donnie Walsh

Default Bill Simmons on Donnie Walsh

Q: How would you balance your obviously blatant Boston homerism with being the Bucks' GM? Would you be permitted to make trades with the Celtics? Would we get the Bill Simmons Cam when during a Celts-Bucks game the camera would cut to you in the owner's box, your lower lip quivering and hiding a smirk whenever KG dunks on the Chairman? Would you be testifying before Congress on charges of conflict of interest and telling them "My buddy, House, misremembers ... I did not attend Paul Pierce's afterparty following the Bucks' playoff loss to the Celtics. But my nanny and my wife and children might have?" I think Bucks fans should demand that you renounce your ties to Boston at your introductory news conference.
    -- (Name Accidentally Deleted), Ann Arbor, Mich.

SG: Good e-mail with some good points. I guess I'd have to put my love for the Celtics on hold for as long as I held the Bucks' job -- kinda like how you can put your DirecTV account on hold for a few weeks when you move. And I'd have to adopt Larry Bird's rule of never trading with the Celtics under any circumstances. Sadly, we'll never know how it would have turned out -- the Bucks are bound and determined to fail with the likes of Doug Collins, Billy King or any other name guy who has failed with at least one other NBA team. This is how the NBA works and how bad teams stay bad. They don't take chances, don't think outside the box and continue to make the same safe mistakes that everyone else is making.

Here's a great example: New York's hiring of 67-year-old Donnie Walsh to save its basketball operations. Yeah, he's a "respected" name, but he was also part of the braintrust that overpaid for Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington, Austin Croshere and Jamaal Tinsley; traded for the reprehensible contracts of Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Troy Murphy just to get Ike Diogu (huh????) and dump Stephen Jackson; turned Antonio Davis (a valuable big man at the time) into Jonathan Bender; turned Ron Artest into three months of Peja Stojakovic; hired Isiah Thomas as a coach and handed over the 2002 draft to him (leading to Isiah overruling his scouts and drafting Fred Jones over Tayshaun Prince); and on top of that, it's not like he was knocking draft picks out of the park (check out Indiana's picks since 1990 and tell me if you love any of them other than the no-brainer pick of Danny Granger in '05, unless you have a fetish for white guys who were drafted 15 picks too high). Could Larry Bird share some of the blame for those moves? Absolutely. But it's bizarre to me that anyone would consider Walsh a potential savior of anything. That's the NBA for you.

Default Re: Bill Simmons on Donnie Walsh

But, the reality of the draft is, it's proven that all it takes is one good pick late in the lottery to lay the foundation to change a franchise for the next 15 years (see 1987, pick #11).
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Bill Simmons continues to give me reasons to hate him.

Seriously, lets list every negative thing someone does and not mention a single positive... You could probably do that for every GM in the NBA and come up with a similar list of "blunders". Even the best GM's screw up, you just don't notice as much because they are getting other things right.

also on draft picks, your not exactly gonna be hitting a lot of home runs picking in the late teens and 20s all the time, like we were most of the 90s. I think The Davis boys were pretty good picks, especially Antonio in the second round. Most of Donnie's great moves were trades.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously, lets list every negative thing someone does and not mention a single positive...
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing about this forum in general....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing about this forum in general....
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    But, the reality of the draft is, it's proven that all it takes is one good pick late in the lottery to lay the foundation to change a franchise for the next 15 years (see 1987, pick #11).
    And we may hit #11 again, 11 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    And we may hit #11 again, 11 years later.
    Math isn't your thing, eh?

Wow what a slam, JO had just come off a year where he was #3 in voting for MVP. ANY GM would have paid him that money. I am 100% sure if the Pacers had not, there would have been a line beating down JO's door. Croshere had just came off the 2000 finals in which he played very well. I like Duns contract and Murphy is playing better than he ever did in G.S. Ike is still undecided. Was Dale Davis a bad pick, Smits while not an all-star was pretty good. What about the trade for Schrempf. How about picking up all the veterans over the years who helped immensely. Mark Jackson (twice) second time for nothing. Eddie Johnson, Big Smooth, B.Scott. He said we over paid four players in 22 seasons - Isiah does that yearly. When you win like the Pacers did in the 90's and draft late what does he expect. F him.
    Last edited by aceace; 04-05-2008 at 12:36 AM.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Wow what a slam, JO had just come off a year where he was #3 in voting for MVP. ANY GM would have paid him that money. I am 100% sure if the Pacers had not, there would have been a line beating down JO's door. Croshere had just came off the 2000 finals in which he played very well. I like Duns contract and Murphy is playing better than he ever did in G.S. Ike is still undecided. Was Dale Davis a bad pick, Smits while not an all-star was pretty good. What about the trade for Schrempf. How about picking up all the veterans over the years who helped immensely. Mark Jackson (twice) second time for nothing. Eddie Johnson, Big Smooth, B.Scott. He said we over paid four players in 22 seasons - Isiah does that yearly. When you win like the Pacers did in the 90's and draft late what does he expect. F him.
    You should email him this..might get posted. I agree 100% btw.

And how about then later turning Det into McKey!!? That may have been the single trade move that legitimately catapulted us over the contender threshold. Certainly a key piece in becoming a legit defensive squad.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

@ Moses
    I think I will send him this after a bit of re-wording.

This is what I sent him.

Wow what a slam of Donnie Walsh, JO had just come off a year where he was #3 in voting for MVP. ANY GM would have paid him that money. I am 100% sure if the Pacers had not, there would have been a line beating down JO's door. Croshere had just came off the 2000 finals in which he played very well. I like Dunleavys contract he's having a career year and Murphy is playing better than he ever did in G.S. Ike is still undecided. What about the trade for Detlef Schrempf (6th man of the year twice)then traded for Derrick McKey . As far as Draft Picks go Croshere,Dampier,Antonio Davis(2nd Rnd)Dale Davis, James Jones(2nd rnd),Al Harrington, all with lengthy careers. How about picking up all the veterans over the years who helped immensely. Mark Jackson (twice) second time for nothing. Eddie Johnson, Big Smooth, B.Scott. We over paid four players in 22 seasons - Isiah does that yearly. When you win like the Pacers did in the 90's and draft late what do you expect. NY was lucky to get Walsh
    Last edited by aceace; 04-05-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Actually, Smits was an all-star in 1998.

I think Ricky Pierce was a bit more key than Eddie Johnson, who never seemed to get out of Larry Brown's doghouse.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

All that comes to mind is the michael jordan commercial where they only show the game winners he missed.

The dude is still jordan,, just like walsh is still walsh. They same guy who took a small market team to the ecf finals how many years, the finals, and the playoffs 10 straight years.