Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wink Re: Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

He just finished his freshman year. Some of you need to get a grip and realize that not everyone is going to me Carmelo Anthony their first season in college. Eric Gordon is a franchise type player that you can get in the draft, he's a guy that's more than worth taking a chance on if he somehow falls to us or even if we could trade up 2-3 spots to get him. I think some of you guys are just bitter IU fans and are holding it against him that A. He struggled in the first round in your team's loss. B. He's leaving after only one season. What did you expect? Did you really think EJ was going to stay more than one year when he's pretty much guaranteed to be at worst a Top 10 pick?

Worst case scenario, he's Ben Gordon. I don't know about you, but even Ben Gordon, would be a huuuuuuge upgrade to the current state of the backcourt. Bird wanted Ben Gordon in the draft he was in, and I guarantee he'd probably take the superior EJ if he was available.

Monta Ellis, Dwyane Wade, AI, etc. have all made it work being a little shorter. They all are lightning quick and have the athleticism to make up for it. I'm pretty sure EJ does too except he's a lot stronger than all of them.

Face it, this team could use a franchise player again, and a risk on EJ is a risk worth taking.

Default Re: Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what? You would rather have augestin or collison? Even westbrook... Gordon is just a taller, stronger, better shooting version of westbrook.
    Are you kidding me? Westbrook has a 1.74/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon had a 0.68/1 assist to turnover ratio. Where do you get better shooting from? The only place Gordon shot better was from the FT line percentage wise. And you didn't even begin to take into account that Westbrook's worlds better on the defensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    BTW. He IS taller than Rose. Ive seen the picture. Rose was not slouching.
    I don't care, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Rose is, plays like and will be a POINT GUARD. Gordon is not, won't be and doesn't seem capable of playing point guard. So, in the end if Rose is 6'2 ... or 6'3 it's excusable. However, as a SG it's not, so that comparison means nothing, really. I didn't follow the debate, so maybe it wasn't a comparison ... and just your way of trying to prove Gordon's height, if so ... disregard what I said, because I think everyone should know that.

However, I do agree. If he's there past pick 10, and we're picking ... he will be in a Pacers uniform. I will hope for the best, but I'm not overly optimistic about the kid. To be honest, I would rather have Westbrook.

-- Steve --
    Last edited by Pacersfan46; 04-06-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Westbrook has to be on the list where the Pacers are picking, probably 11.
    I would love to get two players in the first round. A center and a guard.
    Thabeet and Westbrook would be great. Love is going to be long gone for the Pacers at 11.
    So if they want Love they will have to trade up which is very costly.
    The Pacers are desperate for defense so Thabeet and Westbrook both fit the bill
    plus Westbrook is a better player offensively then some people think.
    I will cringe if the Pacers take Gordon.

CDR from Memphis would also be someone to look hard at.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    And...fixed.

Seriously, if you can remember one that's worse please let me know.
    I nominate Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford.

Honorable mention for Nate Robinson and Jamal Crawford.

At least while being coached by Isiah - I still have hopes for them if they get a real coach.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I don't care, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Rose is, plays like and will be a POINT GUARD. Gordon is not, won't be and doesn't seem capable of playing point guard. So, in the end if Rose is 6'2 ... or 6'3 it's excusable. However, as a SG it's not, so that comparison means nothing, really.
    Dwyane Wade and Allen Iverson would like to have a word with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Dwyane Wade and Allen Iverson would like to have a word with you.
    Yes, there are exceptions to every rule in the world, congratulations. However no, Gordon is not one of them. I'm sorry.

I know you've got a man crush on him, but for every 6'2 or 6'3 SG in the NBA that succeeds, there are hundreds that do nothing but sit on the bench, or don't even make the NBA at all.

To further this point, the 2 players you mentioned ... both have averaged in their career well over 6 assists per game, while their turnover totals per game are under 4. That's a 1.5/1 assist to turnover ratio, at worst. These guys HAVE POINT GUARD SKILLS. What's Gordon's assist to turnover? 0.68/1? Are you kidding me? However, instead of making this point comparing college to NBA numbers, despite the NBA being tougher competition and STILL coming up with better totals ... we'll compare apples to apples. Okay?

Both Wade, and Iverson in their Freshman years of college, had a 1+/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon doesn't even come close.

So yes, those guys are short, and play shooting guard, but they have point guard skills to boot. Gordon on the other hand ....... and that doesn't even mention you picked two of the most explosive players the league has has had in the last 20 years. When Gordon has Iverson's or Wade's explosion, and speed ... let me know.

**EDIT** and for Iverson, even in his prime they hid him quite a bit on the defensive end by using Eric Snow to guard the SG's because he was more capable than Iverson was.

-- Steve --
    Last edited by Pacersfan46; 04-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Mood

I think we're all being a bit harsh on EJ. He is a very raw young man at this point and who knows how it will turn out. I don't know of any teenager who doesn't have flaws and need improvement in their game. He could be a Wade type player or could end up a Wagner type of player. Whoever drafts him needs to understand he is not gonna understand the NBA game and lifestyle for at least a few years. The Pacers need a guy that can contribute right away and a big could fill that need nicely if Thabeet is still there.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule in the world, congratulations. However no, Gordon is not one of them. I'm sorry.

I know you've got a man crush on him, but for every 6'2 or 6'3 SG in the NBA that succeeds, there are hundreds that do nothing but sit on the bench, or don't even make the NBA at all.

To further this point, the 2 players you mentioned ... both have averaged in their career well over 6 assists per game, while their turnover totals per game are under 4. That's a 1.5/1 assist to turnover ratio, at worst. These guys HAVE POINT GUARD SKILLS. What's Gordon's assist to turnover? 0.68/1? Are you kidding me? However, instead of making this point comparing college to NBA numbers, despite the NBA being tougher competition and STILL coming up with better totals ... we'll compare apples to apples. Okay?

Both Wade, and Iverson in their Freshman years of college, had a 1+/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon doesn't even come close.

So yes, those guys are short, and play shooting guard, but they have point guard skills to boot. Gordon on the other hand ....... and that doesn't even mention you picked two of the most explosive players the league has has had in the last 20 years. When Gordon has Iverson's or Wade's explosion, and speed ... let me know.

**EDIT** and for Iverson, even in his prime they hid him quite a bit on the defensive end by using Eric Snow to guard the SG's because he was more capable than Iverson was.

-- Steve --
    gordon is 6'4. just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post
    gordon is 6'4. just sayin
    That's still up for debate. Which is part of the point.

We'll see when teams measure him themselves, what comes of it.

-- Steve --

That's still up for debate. Which is part of the point.

We'll see when teams measure him themselves, what comes of it.

-- Steve --
    well Rose was measured at 6'3 and half in shoes and gordon is atleas an inch and half taller than him

and i don't know why everybody gets so caught up in these numbers. if he can ball then he can ball and gordon can ball. just wait until he gets more space to do his thing in the nba

well Rose was measured at 6'3 and half in shoes and gordon is atleas an inch and half taller than him

and i don't know why everybody gets so caught up in these numbers. if he can ball then he can ball and gordon can ball. just wait until he gets more space to do his thing in the nba
    6'3 and a half plus 1.5 inches, equals 6 foot 5. Before you said he was 6'4 ... now he's 6'5?

I doubt either one is true. Either way, people get "caught up" because it does matter. You can tell it matters by the results. Name a list of All Star quality SG's without point guard skills under 6'4 .... I would be interested in seeing it myself.

-- Steve --

and to re-state a point that's been made several times, 6'3 is just fine if you're a point guard...Rose is a point guard. Gordon is not a point guard. 6'3-6'4 when you're trying to play shooting guard has proven problematic for the vast majority of the tweeners in the NBA.

Gordon, right now, isn't quick enough to guard the majority of the current PG's and he won't ever be tall or long enough to guard many of the better SG's in the league...I think it's fair to say the "better" PGs and SGs because people are talking about him being a superstar, and superstars should be able to match up on both ends with the best players in the league. I don't know many All Star level players that I see Gordon having a prayer against...which would defeat the purpose of using a lottery pick on him.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Iverson ran the point at GTown.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

6'3 and a half plus 1.5 inches, equals 6 foot 5. Before you said he was 6'4 ... now he's 6'5?

I doubt either one is true. Either way, people get "caught up" because it does matter. You can tell it matters by the results. Name a list of All Star quality SG's without point guard skills under 6'4 .... I would be interested in seeing it myself.

-- Steve --
    i never specified that the 6'4 was in shoes or not, iirc his dad said he was 6'4 in socks so he probably is 6'5 in shoes

i'm not sure why u keep saying he's under 6'4.

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    and to re-state a point that's been made several times, 6'3 is just fine if you're a point guard...Rose is a point guard. Gordon is not a point guard. 6'3-6'4 when you're trying to play shooting guard has proven problematic for the vast majority of the tweeners in the NBA.

Gordon, right now, isn't quick enough to guard the majority of the current PG's and he won't ever be tall or long enough to guard many of the better SG's in the league...I think it's fair to say the "better" PGs and SGs because people are talking about him being a superstar, and superstars should be able to match up on both ends with the best players in the league. I don't know many All Star level players that I see Gordon having a prayer against...which would defeat the purpose of using a lottery pick on him.
    like i said gordon is closer to 6'5 in shoes than the 6'3 you guys keep coming up with

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

I'm a solid 6'2 in shoes and I've seem EJ on campus inbetween classes several times and I can tell you he is at least 2 inches taller than I.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Are you kidding me? Westbrook has a 1.74/1 assist to turnover ratio. Gordon had a 0.68/1 assist to turnover ratio. Where do you get better shooting from? The only place Gordon shot better was from the FT line percentage wise. And you didn't even begin to take into account that Westbrook's worlds better on the defensive end.

I don't care, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Rose is, plays like and will be a POINT GUARD. Gordon is not, won't be and doesn't seem capable of playing point guard. So, in the end if Rose is 6'2 ... or 6'3 it's excusable. However, as a SG it's not, so that comparison means nothing, really. I didn't follow the debate, so maybe it wasn't a comparison ... and just your way of trying to prove Gordon's height, if so ... disregard what I said, because I think everyone should know that.

However, I do agree. If he's there past pick 10, and we're picking ... he will be in a Pacers uniform. I will hope for the best, but I'm not overly optimistic about the kid. To be honest, I would rather have Westbrook.

-- Steve --

Gordon is not a point gaurd. Hes an SG. He needs to improve on the turnovers, no doubt. but the knock on westbrook is that he is also not a true pointgaurd. If they are both merely undersized shooting gaurds... than Gordon has better size and better outside shooting. Thats why hes the better prospect.

the size thing is from someone who was trying to say gordon is only 6-2. People say rose is 6-3 and nobody disputes that, yet a picture posted on this forum ith the two standing next to each other showed that Gordon was at least an inch taller than Rose, making him 6-4. The same size as Dwayne Wade. I was not comparing the two, just saying Gordon has the size to play the 2, he is the same size as Ben Gordon and Dwayne Wade. The kid is raw and needs a lot of work, but like I said, NBA scouts dont list him as a top 6 pick for no reason... at one time he was considered top 3. If Gordon gets it together he could be Wade, or maybe he just turns out to be a solid starter. He could even bust, but so could just about ANYONE. Its the draft...

The only thing about westbrook is that he has shown more potential to be able to play the point than Gordon. So it comes down to whether you strongly believe westbrook will ever develop the PG skills or not... kind of a moot point though, because as we have said, if gordon is there at 11, hes a pacer. They wont pass on the hometown kid at that spot.

Hell as much as he "struggled" he still led the big ten in scoring with over 20 points a game, pretty good for a kid who was in high school last year. I think he will figure it out.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 04-06-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Gordan is not going to be an allstar in his career, but he will provide instant offense off the bench for the team that drafts him immediatley. The thought he was a bust at IU is hillarious to me, the kid lead the conference in scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Gordan is not going to be an allstar in his career, but he will provide instant offense off the bench for the team that drafts him immediatley. The thought he was a bust at IU is hillarious to me, the kid lead the conference in scoring.
    Well, considering coming into the season there were Final Four talks, I'd say he was a little bit of a disappointment. Sure he led the conference in scoring, but is a 26 point game really that impressive when you shoot 8/24 and 4/16 from 3? Gordon is certainly a talented player, and I think with any coach but Sampson this past year there wouldn't be nearly as much naysaying as there is right now.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I remember he was going to save the franchise a few months ago. What the hell happened?
    Few people stopped looking through the crimsom and creme colored lenses.

I'm excited. He could really drop. If he stayed one more year under a good coach like Crean, he would stay in the top 5 next year.

He could be a Top 5 pick this year, it probably will depend on how his workouts go and measurables turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    Well, considering coming into the season there were Final Four talks, I'd say he was a little bit of a disappointment. Sure he led the conference in scoring, but is a 26 point game really that impressive when you shoot 8/24 and 4/16 from 3? Gordon is certainly a talented player, and I think with any coach but Sampson this past year there wouldn't be nearly as much naysaying as there is right now.
    Who knows how well IU would have finished under Sampson. This team would have been way higher than an eighth seed if Sampson would have just followed the rules. Dakich did the best he could but those loses were not EJ or DJ's fault at all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

sig bet that he comes in (at pre draft camp) at at least 6'3 1/2??
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    sig bet that he comes in (at pre draft camp) at at least 6'3 1/2??
    Going out on a limb much, there?

6'3-6'5 is going to be undersized in the NBA still.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Who knows how well IU would have finished under Sampson. This team would have been way higher than an eighth seed if Sampson would have just followed the rules. Dakich did the best he could but those loses were not EJ or DJ's fault at all.
    I was meaning that if he had been coached by someone other than Sampson, meaning someone that actually coached a structured offense, he probably would have developed into a more impressive player by the end of the year. I'm not exactly sure how you couldn't pin some of the blame for the end of the season losses on Gordon. When you are a teams leading offensive producer and you are shooting 4/16 from 3pt land or not even breaking double digits in your first (and last) tourney game, some of the blame has to be on your shoulders.

Don't get me wrong. EJ is certainly a remarkable prospect. I just don't see him coming into the league and producing at a high level his first couple of seasons. Of course I'm just some guy posting on a message board, so I could be pretty far off base. =)