Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

Default Re: Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

I'm with folks who put Gordon as a marginal top ten pick, probably not a top 5. And for those who can step into the time machine, remember Vinnie Johnson?

He'll be extremely tough to stop on offense - he's so strong and able to take contact plus, even though he had a cold stretch he certainly can shoot.

Here's the problem. I watch him play and I don't see a guy who'll ever become an NBA PG. Others may disagree and that's fine but I just don't see the skill set - to me he's a SG.

Been a lot of discussion about his size making it impossible for him to defend. Well, it makes it tough but it doesn't make it impossible.

A short SG can defend taller guys but he has to be extremely quick-footed. The best guy I remember at this was David Wesley. The guy was quick enough that he could really crowd SG's - they couldn't clear space. Even though they could go over him it wasn't comfortable because his hands were good enough that he could also make a good play for the ball and they never seemed to shoot in rhythm. Reggie, Allen Houston, Ray Allen - they all had trouble with him. He could be posted up but once the rules changed a bit even that became less of an issue.

David Wesley was one of the better defensive SG's in the game and he was only 6-1.

So Gordon's size works against him but his size doesn't doom him. I don't know if he can be an effective defender at the 2 but I don't know that he can't either. But I don't see him as a full-time NBA PG.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've got a small feeling that he will be the Brady Quinn of this year's NBA draft.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Call me a Gordon apologist if you like. But here's a question. How do
    we know that the 14-15% he shot from '3' the last 8-9 games (with
    a 'broken' left wrist) is a more valid indicator than the 42% he shot
    from '3' in the first 25 or so games ?
    Well heres for starters.. People who know how to shoot the ball use only one hand to shoot it, the other is just for emotional support.. So his LEFT wrist being messed up would not hinder his shot.. Maybe in his head it would, but seriously, most guys wouldn't shoot any different if they just dropped their non shooting hand down off the side of the ball..Unless they couldn't hold/palm/balance the ball on their shooter hand.

I don't blame Gordon for leaving early at all, and just because I don't blame him doesn't mean that I think the Pacers should draft him.

As bad as the played at the end of last season, he's still more or less guarenteed to be a lottery pick. Remember Josh McRoberts, who was more or less deemed a lottery pick after his freshman year, decided to go back to Duke, barely got drafted, and is now in the NBDL? Had he come out a year earlier, he would have had millions in guarenteed money. Now, not so much.

So good tactical move by EG.

Ownagedood-

So, the guy is your avatar is only using his left hand as an
    emotional crutch ? Right....

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Well heres for starters.. People who know how to shoot the ball use only one hand to shoot it, the other is just for emotional support.. So his LEFT wrist being messed up would not hinder his shot.. Maybe in his head it would, but seriously, most guys wouldn't shoot any different if they just dropped their non shooting hand down off the side of the ball..Unless they couldn't hold/palm/balance the ball on their shooter hand.
    Says the guy with Reggie in his avatar...
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Gordon was a bust as a Hoosier.. But I still think in about 2 or 3 years he will be a pretty solid pro player.. But still don't want him on the Pacers.. A ball hog who can't tell when he's cold.. He just shoots and shoots and shoots.. He also turns it over way too much..That's what killed the Hoosiers.
    freshmen of the year in the big 10 and averaging 20 ppg is a bust???????

obviously you are a gordon hater for whatever reason.

what killed IU was Sampson, he gave his players too much freedom and the team always played sloppy. IU wouldn't have been half as good if EJ wasnt on the team anyways. lol you're not as smart as you think you are

anyways. lots of gordon haters on here. id be happy if he fell to us. we really need athletecism in the backcourt. plus he's a go to scorer and he can penetrate and get to the free throw line, both are something this team currently lacks. and no he probably won't ever be a lock down defender but he won't be a liability like dunleavy or tinsley.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    when did he become 6'2?
    I don't want Gordon because he's not what we need.

However, people are panning him because of his height and they don't even know his height. How absurd is that?

I noticed Rose was a lot bigger than Augustine this past week, and he's (Rose) listed at 6'3 and nobody disputes it, yet there are pictures of Gordon and Rose together and Gordon is visibly taller than Rose. (One to two inches)

Before people pan him because of his height I think it would be good to know what it is. I'm going to wait until pre-draft camp where he will get measured before claiming he's not big enough.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 04-05-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Ownagedood-

So, the guy is your avatar is only using his left hand as an
    emotional crutch ? Right....
    Yep, see how he's holding the ball? The left hand is only holding the ball straight.. You can do the same thing by palming it. I have done it, and my shot wasn't effected at all.. When learning to shoot correctly you actually are supposed to tie your none shooting hand behind your back.. So..play basketball much?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

However, people are panning him because of his height and they don't even know his height. How absurd is that?

I noticed Rose was a lot bigger than Augustine this past week, and he's (Rose) listed at 6'3 and nobody disputes it, yet there are pictures of Gordon and Rose together and Gordon is visibly taller than Rose. (One to two inches)

Before people pan him because of his height I think it would be good to know what it is. I'm going to wait until pre-draft camp where he will get measured before claiming he's not big enough.
    Rose is probably slouching.. Rose is 6'4 Gordon is measured about 6'3

No joke.. Rose is the taller guy.. Besides, why even compare them anyway? Rose is actually a PG, Gordon is a SG stuck in a PG body.. At the same time, Gordon has more muscle mass than Rose.. Because Rose is an inch taller but about 35 lbs. less.

and exactly what do we need????????

a shooter, a go to scorer, and someone who can penetrate and get to teh free throw line???? if so, then yes he is what we need

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post

a shooter, a go to scorer, and someone who can penetrate and get to teh free throw line???? if so, then yes he is what we need
    Watch a Hoosiers game.. Most people on here don't and those are the people that think he's god..He's alright, I was one who talked about how good he was when he first came.. But as I watched him play I saw tons of flaws.. There are many other guys that we should pick ahead of him..Why he's ranked so high is because he has tons of potential and does actually drive to the hoop AFTER he has missed a bunch of shots. We need a guy that can go out there and play hard and play smart.. Not another "full of potential" guy.. They never seem to turn out well for us.. Maybe it's our trainers or coaches or something like that.. But we always get the guys "full of potential".. But none really worked out. Granger was already good when he got here, yet he is still full of potential so you could say he is working out pretty well.

Yeah we need someone who can finish, but our worst need is for a point who can stop dribble penetration. That KILLS us game after game.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    I still say he was injured and making bad basketball decisions (not drivin to the basket near enough) both of which can be easily corrected
    Tell that to Fred Jones.

-- Steve --

I don't blame Gordon for coming out...I just don't want him anywhere near the Pacers
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone who truly thinks that EJ was going to stay at IU was fooling themselves.

Anyone who thinks he's foolish to leave all that money on the table have obviously never turned down that kind of guaranteed money before.

Watch a Hoosiers game.. Most people on here don't and those are the people that think he's god..He's alright, I was one who talked about how good he was when he first came.. But as I watched him play I saw tons of flaws.. There are many other guys that we should pick ahead of him..Why he's ranked so high is because he has tons of potential and does actually drive to the hoop AFTER he has missed a bunch of shots. We need a guy that can go out there and play hard and play smart.. Not another "full of potential" guy.. They never seem to turn out well for us.. Maybe it's our trainers or coaches or something like that.. But we always get the guys "full of potential".. But none really worked out. Granger was already good when he got here, yet he is still full of potential so you could say he is working out pretty well.
    lol i watch IU all the time. guess what, every prospect has tons of flaws so by that logic you wouldn't draft anybody. the entire draft is based off of potential, especially the lottery, lol. i'd really like a long list of guys you'd pick in the 8-12 range over Eric Gordon. remember you can't choose guys with potential

Yeah we need someone who can finish, but our worst need is for a point who can stop dribble penetration. That KILLS us game after game.
    we just need a guard that isn't a defensive liability lol. i'm really high on westbrook because of his defensive potential. tonight should tell us a lot about him

I'd love to have Eric Gordon. The NBA favors back-court play right now, and we have one of the shoddiest back-courts in the NBA. He's not what we need? Last time I checked, we have Travis Diener at PG, and a SF in Dunleavy playing SG. HELLO! Any back-court help is better than none.

He's a prolific scorer, we haven't had that type of player since Reggie left.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    Wow, I'm no Gordon fan, but there's some serious venom here.
    Agreed. I think Gordon is going to sink because of how his college career ended, and I'd love it we could grab him. At where we'd be drafting I think that'd be a pretty great pickup. And I was never really all that impressed by the kid.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

lol i watch IU all the time. guess what, every prospect has tons of flaws so by that logic you wouldn't draft anybody. the entire draft is based off of potential, especially the lottery, lol. i'd really like a long list of guys you'd pick in the 8-12 range over Eric Gordon. remember you can't choose guys with potential

we just need a guard that isn't a defensive liability lol. i'm really high on westbrook because of his defensive potential. tonight should tell us a lot about him
    I'm talking about guys with JUST potential.. And not much skill YET.. But everyone thinks he will be really good sometime so they draft him. There are plenty of guys that are better then him this year.. Some not even projected in the lottery. (Hansborough as one example)

And I agree about Westbrook.. I think he would do great things for us. He seems to be a good leader AND PLAYS DEFENSE.

I'm drooling so much watching Derrick Rose play right now.. Man, I wish we could get that guy. He's just dominating.

Rashad McCants, 6-4, 210
    Randy Foye, 6-4, 213

Two decent players who can prove that you can be a decent contributor at the NBA level at Gordon's size. Size isn't the issue with him though.

His tangibles are fine, but his intangibles and his mindset are the reason I don't want him on the Pacers. He's a black hole on offense because he's never had to be a team player. He plays the same way DaJuan Wagner played and Antoine Walker played: "if I jack up 20 or 25 shots, surely 10 of them will go in, because I'm that good". He alienates his teammates and gets them out of rhythm because he rarely looks for them in the team concept. This won't fly in the NBA.

People will say that something like that, and the many other complaints that I have about Gordon, "can be taught". My argument is, why hasn't he learned it yet? Why hasn't he noticed it about his own game and identified it as something to improve on? Great players never stop critiqueing their game...that's what separates players like Garnett from players like JO. When was the last time you heard JO say, "I need to improve my post defense".

The player the Pacers need is Derrick Rose. The player they'll probably get is one the two players that Rose has torched and abused on both ends of the court the past two weeks: D.J. Augustin, or Darren Collison. Or, Bird will draft another long, athletic SG/SF like Chris Douglas-Roberts, continuing the perpetual logjam...although I'd be fine with it, because I think CDR is the next Josh Howard.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

IF he was a one and done guy, we shouldnt even have recruited him at IU. I hate one and done players, they really aren't too solid when it comes to making the next step. We seen how bad Gordon choked in the tournament. Unless he step his game up about 3 notches he will never be a starter in the NBA, unless he is playing on a bottom feeder. Look how well the gaurs are playing for Memphis. I would take any of them over Gordon. They are thriving on the big stage in the tournament, they just DESTROYED UCLA. When did the draft process become so shallow? We've got gaurds in this tournament lighting it up, moving their teams towards a C-ship. And everyones talking about a player who choked like noone I have ever seen. I think thats the biggest red flag ever.

If he drops to us, of course we take him just for his perimeter defense and his ability to create. Hes a gamble, and from the way he choked in the spotlight this year, I think he could be a waste of a pick. Lets hope one of the few bigs gets hurt or looses some stock and falls to us. Not likely, but I can hope.

He's not big enough and he lacks the elevation to be an elite SG in the NBA. I see him more as a SG/PG hybrid who could prove me wrong, but I won't hold my breath. He may be listed at 6'4, but he could be as small as 6'2. Starting SGs need to be at least 6'6 IMO.

Noone wants a "contributor" with the type of hype, pick, and money Gordon demands, they want a game changer, someone who can increase ur winning percent 10 points by themselves, and honestly he just isn't that type of player. Without DJ White, I dont think IU would have been anything this year.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 04-06-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I'd love to have Eric Gordon. The NBA favors back-court play right now, and we have almost undeniably the worst back-court in entire history of the NBA.
    And...fixed.

Seriously, if you can remember one that's worse please let me know.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

This is stupid. If Eric Gordon falls to us expect to see him in a pacers uniform next year... If he falls to 11, uh yea... hes a pacer. No way larry passes. Some of you who think this would be such a travesty need a new outlook on life. Seriously...

what? You would rather have augestin or collison? Even westbrook... Gordon is just a taller, stronger, better shooting version of westbrook. You know there is a reason he is expected to go top 6. I will personnely be ecstatic if Gordon falls to 11. He needs some work for sure, but give me a break.

BTW. He IS taller than Rose. Ive seen the picture. Rose was not slouching.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 04-06-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports