Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Report: Gordon to bolt Indiana after one season

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 5 years, no one will know what EJ stands for...lol
    Lol, agreed.. Except for, of course, his family.

I just don't see Gordon's skills and potential translating to stardom in the NBA. Players who become stars in the NBA consistently make the college game look easy and are next to impossible to scout at the college level.

Gordon isn't that quick, he isn't that fast, he's an inconsistent shooter, his defense is subpar at best, he's not good in the post, and his ballhandling isn't that great either. What about all of that translates to stardom in the NBA?

Also, add in that he consistently makes stupid decisions with the ball, takes bad shots, is soft and rarely looks at anything on the court other than the basket.

Every game I watched this year, there was one common theme, and that was Gordon trying to make a bunch of moves and do a bunch of things that he wasn't good enough to make or execute...most of them resulted in poor shots or stupid turnovers.

Anyone who takes him in the lottery is going to regret it down the road. If he were available late in the first round, he might be worth it to a team looking for a guy to come in off of the bench and provide a scoring punch. But, I see absolutely no reason to waste a lottery pick on him.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    I just don't see Gordon's skills and potential translating to stardom in the NBA. Players who become stars in the NBA consistently make the college game look easy and are next to impossible to scout at the college level.

Gordon isn't that quick, he isn't that fast, he's an inconsistent shooter, his defense is subpar at best, he's not good in the post, and his ballhandling isn't that great either. What about all of that translates to stardom in the NBA?

Also, add in that he consistently makes stupid decisions with the ball, takes bad shots, is soft and rarely looks at anything on the court other than the basket.

Every game I watched this year, there was one common theme, and that was Gordon trying to make a bunch of moves and do a bunch of things that he wasn't good enough to make or execute...most of them resulted in poor shots or stupid turnovers.

Anyone who takes him in the lottery is going to regret it down the road. If he were available late in the first round, he might be worth it to a team looking for a guy to come in off of the bench and provide a scoring punch. But, I see absolutely no reason to waste a lottery pick on him.
    You took my thoughts and put them into words. Haha, I couldn't think of the best way to say it..Nicely done.

Can anyone name many good 6'2" NBA SG's?

BTW, Eddie House is not a bad player...certainly a better shooter, but the expectations for Mr. Gordon are higher. I'm talking about at least a Ben Gordon level player...who is listed at 6'3" btw and gets abused...and cannot hold down a starting SG position...with Larry Hughes listed as starter. Yet, I have some serious doubts EJ will be better than Ben.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Can anyone name many good 6'2" NBA SG's?

BTW, Eddie House is not a bad player...certainly a better shooter, but the expectations for Mr. Gordon are higher. I'm talking about at least a Ben Gordon level player...who is listed at 6'3" btw and gets abused...and cannot hold down a starting SG position...with Larry Hughes listed as starter. Yet, I have some serious doubts EJ will be better than Ben.
    when did he become 6'2?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

So has everyone but mto given up on Gordon? I remember he was going to save the franchise a few months ago. What the hell happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    when did he become 6'2?
    Ya, he is really small, but can't dribble.. Which means he won't make it in the NBA unless he either goes through a late growth spurt or suddenly gets much better at dribbling..

Mood

I still say he was injured and making bad basketball decisions (not drivin to the basket near enough) both of which can be easily corrected
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    So has everyone but mto given up on Gordon? I remember he was going to save the franchise a few months ago. What the hell happened?
    He went through a HORRENDOUS shooting slump.. Something like 8-45 or around that from 3 point line..While at the same time not making some of the easy shots either and just not playing smart.. So that opened everyones eyes.. May have been because of injury but I'm not buying it..
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 04-04-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Ya, he is really small, but can't dribble.. Which means he won't make it in the NBA unless he either goes through a late growth spurt or suddenly gets much better at dribbling..
    but he's not 6'2. what are you talking about? theres a big difference between 6'2 and 6'4
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

He went through a HORRENDOUS shooting slump.. Something like 8-45 or around that from 3 point line..While at the same time not making some of the easy shots either.. So that opened everyones eyes..
    with a cast on...
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

when did he become 6'2?
    Ok, I'll give you an inch but it's not gonna matter.

Ben Gordon is very, very clutch...and still doesn't start. Why one might ask? Because he can't defend the position. He is too short and he's not Allen Iverson. If Iverson wasn't capable of scoring 40ppg on a nightly basis, he wouldn't start either.

but he's not 6'2. what are you talking about? theres a big difference between 6'2 and 6'4
    WOAH.. Lol, he is by no means 6'4! He's 6'3 MAX.. They normally list players a little bigger than they are if people say they are too small.. I'm guessing he really is 6'2. I have never stood next to him, so idk.. But he sure does look small compared to some other college kids.

Mood

WOAH.. Lol, he is by no means 6'4! He's 6'3 MAX.. They normally list players a little bigger than they are if people say they are too small.. I'm guessing he really is 6'2.
    I'm 6'1. I've stood next to him on more than 3 occasions, he's at LEAST 2 inches taller than me. i was at nose level
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

EJ is supposedly a great shooter but only shot 33% from three. JT can shoot that. He will need to dramatically improve that from the deeper NBA range to be an outside threat at the next level. I seriously doubt that will happen.

Instead, he will attempt to improve his poor 43% midrange game and have his shortness swatted by bigger defenders.

BTW, an NBA defense is not going to foul this guy and let him live at the line. Even 6'6" guys have trouble getting it up over the defense. They will block his little shots as he makes his drive.

Career backup at best.

Ben Gordon is his ceiling.

with a cast on...
    IF you could call that a cast..

It's just wrapping.. Looks a lot like the band Reggie always wore *see avatar*

It can't affect a shot that much..

EDIT: Just remembered.. The wrap was on his NON shooting hand anyways..
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 04-04-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Banned

The Gordon apologists will make any and every excuse in the book. That's just the way things are, there's really no sense in wasting time arguing with them.

With that said, if we could get Gordon in the 9-12 range, I'd be o.k with it. He's not my #1 want, but he does have the potential to be a big time scorer and he was considered a top-8 pick for basically the entire season.

one other thing I forgot to include...he can shoot from NBA 3 point range, he just can't seem make anything on a consistent basis from NBA 3 point range...
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    The Gordon apologists will make any and every excuse in the book. That's just the way things are, there's really no sense in wasting time arguing with them.

With that said, if we could get Gordon in the 9-12 range, I'd be o.k with it. He's not my #1 want, but he does have the potential to be a big time scorer and he was considered a top-8 pick for basically the entire season.
    He's a first round pick for sure. He is an explosive player who will probably put some numbers up in the NBA. However, as some realize, his potential is limited in the NBA...unless he improves quite a bit in a number of areas. I don't see him as a starter in the NBA. If lucky, he becomes John Starks or Ben Gordon...but the odds are still pretty long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    tdubb-

I can take or leave EJ. But can you recall any 19 yr old who's
    shot selection, ball handling and passing didn't improve to an
    appreciable degree as their career evolved ?
    That's what I'm saying. I didn't mean for those skills to be improved by his rookie year, but by his 3rd season or so. I just don't think he'll reach his potential. I really think a better shooting Ben Gordon is his ceiling.

EJ is not a PG. He's too small and without the shooting skills to earn lots of NBA minutes at the 2. He was unable to carry IU when they played top-50 teams, something truly special college players do. He seemed especially bothered by players guarding him who were taller than himself. His basketball decision-making ability was definitely questionable, and Sampson didn't seem to care -- which didn't help him learn anything. If he turns out to be a 'force' in the NBA, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm a Hoosier season tix holder. I say that so you know I've seen him play, plenty, and from near the floor. It's OK to disagree with this point of view, but don't bother to say I didn't see him play more than once or twice on TV.

yes, he did struggle against taller opposition. i think i agree with the ben gordon ceiling although i think he will more likely be fred jones part2.

No, EG (Ya, it's Eric GORDON, not Jordon) is not the reason they won more games.. I would take DJ White, Ellis, Basset, Stemler, Crawford all before Gordon.

I mean, Stemler? Really? Crawford and Ellis are pretty huge stretches to take over EJ as well. Even Bassett, who yes carried IU on quite a few occasions and was definitely one of the top 3 players, had plenty of games where he was just as cold as Gordon. Don't know how you could ever say Gordon was less important than Ellis/Stemler/Crawford though, that's just simply not true.

Wow, I'm no Gordon fan, but there's some serious venom here.

I think he's more likely to be a Cuttino Mobley-type player. Like Cat, EJ has plenty of athleticism, a power-jump dribble-drive game and a good outside stroke. He'll also be a solid defender once he gets some more coaching, but players will be able to shoot over him. Good perimeter defenders will be able to shut EJ down, though, and that's the main reason he won't be a star. That, and his passing skills are questionable.

At 8-12, though, that type of player is probably a good pickup if a desirable point guard isn't on the board. I probably take Beasley, Rose, Bayless, Brook Lopez, Mayo, Jordan and Griffin over Gordon talent-wise. And maybe you bump EJ up over a couple of those guys for character/roster reasons.
    Last edited by Kraft; 04-06-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Call me a Gordon apologist if you like. But here's a question. How do
    we know that the 14-15% he shot from '3' the last 8-9 games (with
    a 'broken' left wrist) is a more valid indicator than the 42% he shot
    from '3' in the first 25 or so games ?