Thread: Gas Prices a problem?..NO PROBLEM..Chevys "Volt"

Default Gas Prices a problem?..NO PROBLEM..Chevys "Volt"

I was watching the documentary "Who Killed the electric car"..Which discusses GM putting out their EV1 model car,then not allowing people to buy them,rather lease them then GM taking all of them back and smashing them.

Well I found this car...supposed to come out in 2010 one battery charge can last up to 40miles,While the extened battery they expect to last up to 640 miles.

LINK:

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Default Re: Gas Prices a problem?..NO PROBLEM..Chevys "Volt"

I've made a mental note that this will be my next car.

Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I just bought an Audi TT, due to being in a wreck that totaled my other car, but prior to needing a car now as oppose to two years from now, the Volt was on my short list of vehicles to buy when the time came.

What I think is really humorous is that it looks like GM is being serious about this, because they actually made the car look good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like almost every other major project American car companies have undertaken over the past decade or so I expect this to get messed up along the way somehow. Ford and GM are just so horribly run. Wouldn't surprise me if a foreign car company beats them to the punch to be honest. Leaving this long of a window until release of the Volt creates the chance of someone like Toyota or Honda coming in and stealing their thunder.

The problem is what happens when we make the move towards hyrdogen? Which IMO is more cost effective over the long run than electric cars. Mainly because it eliminates emissions while also maintaing the car's horsepower and sometimes even increasing it.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 04-04-2008 at 03:13 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like almost every other major project American car companies have undertaken over the past decade or so I expect this to get messed up along the way somehow. Ford and GM are just so horribly run. Wouldn't surprise me if a foreign car company beats them to the punch to be honest. Leaving this long of a window until release of the Volt creates the chance of someone like Toyota or Honda coming in and stealing their thunder.

The problem is what happens when we make the move towards hyrdogen? Which IMO is more cost effective over the long run than electric cars. Mainly because it eliminates emissions while also maintaing the car's horsepower and sometimes even increasing it.
    It is unfortunate that you have that perception of the American Auto companies. I can't defend past leadership, because they certainly lacked the foresight to see this huge increase in gas prices. They had all of there eggs in one basket and simply made too much money providing consumers with exactley what they wanted. Big SUV's and Trucks. They are now trying to recover from a product mix that has too many large vehicles with low fuel economy.

Currently, Ford has strong leadership and is changing the product mix to include more fuel efficient cars and crossover vehicles to replace SUV's. Ford's car quality is equal to Toyota's. Unfortunately, many people in America share your outdated view that it is not equal. I don't blame you for having that view. As a consumer, if I have a bad experience with any type of product, rarely will I give it a second chance.

As for hydrogen, all car companies have working cars with hydrogen fuel cells. What they don't have is a hydrogen fill up station infrastructure. You can't sell a hydrogen powered car if there is no place to fill it up. We are at least 10 years away from mass producing hydrogen powered vehicles, and by then the Volt will have served its purpose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would not call my view outdated considering it is shared by many in the general public. Both Ford and GM lose money on every car they sell. Forget about the quality of the product, they are very bad companies to invest in.

Granted, I don't root for the destruction of the American car industry and I am more than willing to give them a second chance if I truely feel the product they are producing is of quality. IMO, Saturn is the car company to watch for GM. I think they have really changed the perception of their vehicle line over the past year.

Do American car companies have their whole product line ready to roll out with hydrogen cells tomorrow if the US made the change? I'm not sure they do, but I know that many high end vehicle producers do in fact have this. BMW could make the switch in their entire from a 325i to a 760Li tomorrow if the US made the change. IMO, the reason we haven't begun switching from gasoline to hyrdrogen yet is because the government is trying to use it to protect American car makers for a little bit longer.

I hope the American car producers can recover because God knows the economy could use that boost.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would not call my view outdated considering it is shared by many in the general public. Both Ford and GM lose money on every car they sell. Forget about the quality of the product, they are very bad companies to invest in.

Granted, I don't root for the destruction of the American car industry and I am more than willing to give them a second chance if I truely feel the product they are producing is of quality. IMO, Saturn is the car company to watch for GM. I think they have really changed the perception of their vehicle line over the past year.

Do American car companies have their whole product line ready to roll out with hydrogen cells tomorrow if the US made the change? I'm not sure they do, but I know that many high end vehicle producers do in fact have this. BMW could make the switch in their entire from a 325i to a 760Li tomorrow if the US made the change. IMO, the reason we haven't begun switching from gasoline to hyrdrogen yet is because the government is trying to use it to protect American car makers for a little bit longer.

I hope the American car producers can recover because God knows the economy could use that boost.
    We haven't made the switch to hydrogen because it's a ******* pipe dream currently.

The US car companies sold this illusion of Hydrogen to Americans in order to avoid making an electric car that would run cheaply and efficiently, with fewer moving parts that will fail. Dealershps make good money fixing all the emissions and brake systems on cars that simply wouldn't fail or be neccessary on an electric vehicle.

You realize a Chevy Aveo that's powered by Hydrogen would cost consumers around $80,000 dollars presently, right? And that that Chevy Aveo would have a top speed of around 100 miles per hour, and have a range of about 200 miles?

I firmly believe hydrogen is at least 20 years away, and maybe closer to 50, at least, if we're talking about fueling SUVs with hydrogen.

efforts to control costs on this are not going all that well.

The cost without any tax breaks & incentives is estimated at 48K.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

(edit: damn wiki, he doesn't say that, he says closer to 40K than to 30K.http://www.wired.com/cars/futuretran...1/lutz_volt_qa)

That's a lot to pay for a car that is probably gonna be about the size of a Toyota Tercel inside and out, though there is a cool-look factor:

If they could get it back down to the initial goals, 20-30K, I think it can make an impact among the general population and not just the small contingent of hard-core go-green types who can also afford to drop 40K (or maybe 35K after tax breaks) on it.

Here a site with lots of updates and links:

http://gm-volt.com/
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 04-10-2008 at 01:03 PM.