Thread: backboard grabber

Default backboard grabber

ok folks, here is the deal:
    about a year ago on another board, i thought about this topic and decided that i wanted to see if i could make this happen. i wrote to the people at guiness book of world records. i said that despite all the rumors that some people could supposedly do it, this feat has NEVER been recorded or documented. i have heard that earl "the goat" manigualt or however his last name is spelled- could do this. great sounding story but, when i found out he was only 6'2 - i said to myself "ok, that is completely impossible."

on this other board, there was a guy who claimed he was a retired sportswriter, he told me he said he talked to a number of guys such as jordan and drexler and larry nance who was 6'10 and had like a 39 inch vert. and none of them said they could do it.
    there were some other guys he mentioned but, i can't remember their names but none of them said they could do it either.

i would say of anyone out there today- the only guys who come to mind who i think would even have a chance of doing this are garnet and bender.
    maybe a few others out there are decent candidates but, i can't think of them offhand.
    the guiness folks said they thought my idea was interesting but had no intentions of seeing this through. - lousy, lazy s.o.b.'s
    i would love to see someone do this but, i think it's impossible.
    perhaps the good folks at ripleys believe it or not would not be so lame and be willing to see if they could get this challenge up and going. the guy should be able to do something like pull a silver dollar or something like that off the top of the backboard and then this myth could be shattered.
    i am thinking of emailing the ripleys people but would welcome others to do the same. perhaps if we get enough people hasseling them- they just might have the balls to do this
    lets hope so.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: backboard grabber

ok folks, here is the deal:
    about a year ago on another board, i thought about this topic and decided that i wanted to see if i could make this happen. i wrote to the people at guiness book of world records. i said that despite all the rumors that some people could supposedly do it, this feat has NEVER been recorded or documented. i have heard that earl "the goat" manigualt or however his last name is spelled- could do this. great sounding story but, when i found out he was only 6'2 - i said to myself "ok, that is completely impossible."

on this other board, there was a guy who claimed he was a retired sportswriter, he told me he said he talked to a number of guys such as jordan and drexler and larry nance who was 6'10 and had like a 39 inch vert. and none of them said they could do it.
    there were some other guys he mentioned but, i can't remember their names but none of them said they could do it either.

i would say of anyone out there today- the only guys who come to mind who i think would even have a chance of doing this are garnet and bender.
    maybe a few others out there are decent candidates but, i can't think of them offhand.
    the guiness folks said they thought my idea was interesting but had no intentions of seeing this through. - lousy, lazy s.o.b.'s
    i would love to see someone do this but, i think it's impossible.
    perhaps the good folks at ripleys believe it or not would not be so lame and be willing to see if they could get this challenge up and going. the guy should be able to do something like pull a silver dollar or something like that off the top of the backboard and then this myth could be shattered.
    i am thinking of emailing the ripleys people but would welcome others to do the same. perhaps if we get enough people hasseling them- they just might have the balls to do this
    lets hope so.
    I'm not sure it can be done, especially since the highest goal to be dunked on is 12 feet.

Zesty

Surely Bender could do this, right? I can't think of anyone more likely than him to accomplish it.

This belongs on the NBA/Pacers board. Moving.

Surely it's at least possible. And yeah, Bender's a good candidate. 7 feet tall. Very long. 40" vertical.

I like the idea. It would be incredible to see someone actually do this. Then if you were to open it to anyone, and word got out to all the playgrounds, there may be a man or two who nobody's heard of who can do it. That would be pretty cool too.

Bendy would be the first guy I'd look at. Lessee.... Bender is 7' tall, plus about 30" for his arm above his head and 36" for jump.... that's 12'6" maximum reach. [if my numbers are correct]

How tall is the top of the backboard?
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I like the idea. It would be incredible to see someone actually do this. Then if you were to open it to anyone, and word got out to all the playgrounds, there may be a man or two who nobody's heard of who can do it. That would be pretty cool too.

Bendy would be the first guy I'd look at. Lessee.... Bender is 7' tall, plus about 30" for his arm above his head and 36" for jump.... that's 12'6" maximum reach. [if my numbers are correct]

SECTION 11 -EQUIPMENT

a. The backboard shall be a rectangle measuring 6' horizontally and 31/2' vertically. The front surface shall be flat and transparent.

b. A transparent backboard shall be marked with a 2" white rectangle centered behind the ring. This rectangle shall have outside dimensions of 24" horizontally and 18" vertically.

c. Home management is required to have a spare board with supporting unit on hand for emergencies, and a steel tape or extension ruler and a level for use if necessary.

d. Each basket shall consist of a pressure-release NBA approved metal safety ring 18" in inside diameter with a white cord net 15" to 18" in length. The cord of the net shall not be less than 30 thread nor more than 120 thread and shall be constructed to check the ball momentarily as it passes through the basket.

e. Each basket ring shall be securely attached to the backboard with its upper edge 10' above and parallel to the floor and equidistant from the vertical edges of the board. The nearest point of the inside edge of the ring shall be 6" from the plane of the face of the board. The ring shall be painted orange.

http://www.basketball.com/nba/rules/rule1.shtml

----------------
    Somebody else can do the math... :P

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

SECTION 11 -EQUIPMENT

a. The backboard shall be a rectangle measuring 6' horizontally and 31/2' vertically. The front surface shall be flat and transparent.

e. Each basket ring shall be securely attached to the backboard with its upper edge 10' above and parallel to the floor and equidistant from the vertical edges of the board. The nearest point of the inside edge of the ring shall be 6" from the plane of the face of the board. The ring shall be painted orange.

----------------

-Bball
    Uh... I think that makes it (10'+3 1/2' - 6'')= 13'

Damn... I don't know if that is possible....
    Here, everyone have a : on me

LAPacer

There is a thread in google from 1994 about this.

Some say the board is 12'8" some also say 12'6".

Here is the thread:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...p%2B%253F%2B:-)%2BHow%2Bhigh%2Bis%2Bthe%2Btop%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bbackb oard%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3DCtAAB6.L5F%2540cee.hw.ac.uk%26rnum%3D1

Thread also says Wayman Tisdale used to do it.

SECTION 11 -EQUIPMENT

----------------

-Bball
    Uh... I think that makes it (10'+3 1/2' - 6'')= 13'

Damn... I don't know if that is possible....
    I thought that 6" mentioned was the distance between the hoop and the backboard?

I'm wondering if there is a dimension missing... but I am reading all this in quick looks.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

you're right, bball. It doesn't say how far above the bottom of the backboard the top edge of the rim is.

I'd guess about 12".

That leaves 2 ft. 6 inches above the rim to the top of the backboard, so 12'6"
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

you're right, bball. It doesn't say how far above the bottom of the backboard the top edge of the rim is.

I'd guess about 12".

That leaves 2 ft. 6 inches above the rim to the top of the backboard, so 12'6"
    I'd go with that as well.

And, there is no way Wayman could get that big butt of his high enough for him to touch the top of the backboard.

According to George McGinnis and Darnell Hillman, Hillman could touch the top of the backboard, although he never did any tricks like grabbing a dollar or making change as in some of the folklore you hear about Earl Manigoate.

Another that they said came close was Dan Roundfield.

Dr. J grabbed a dime off the top of the backboard in a 76ers practice one time. Steve Mix told the story during a 76ers game; about how in practice one day Daryl Dawkins was talking his usual smack and made a bet with Doc that he couldn't do it and Doc did it. You would probably need 3 things to accomplish it. Great leaping ability, height and huge hands Erving had all three of those traits.

I've heard that Shawn Bradley can grasp the rim while standing, perhaps on his tiptoes. Same perhaps for Yao.

Working with the assumption of 12'6" for the backboard's top edge, this means that with about a 30" vertical either Bardley or Yao could reach the top of the backboard. 30" is a pretty athletic leap, and I'm sure neither of these guys could do it.

Someone shorter than these guys with equally long arms and a killer vertical should be able to do it.

Assuming Bender is 6" shorter than Bradley, I'm also going to guess that his arms are also about 4" shorter. That would mean his reach is 10" shorter than Bradley, but that with a 40" jump he could reach the top of the backboard.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Yeah, there aren't many guys with Jon's blend of height, length, and vertical. If he can't do it, I really don't know who can.

Yeah, there aren't many guys with Jon's blend of height, length, and vertical. If he can't do it, I really don't know who can.
    You know what I've been wondering about? If anyone could ever dunk from the three point line. Maybe they'd have to jump off a partner's back? Probably impossible though.

You know what I've been wondering about? If anyone could ever dunk from the three point line. Maybe they'd have to jump off a partner's back? Probably impossible though.
    College three point line? .... I suppose it's feasible, but seeing as there are only a handful of guys who've been able to dunk from the foul line, and barely at that, they'd need some kind of boost. No way anybody could do that from the NBA three point line though.

College three point line? .... I suppose it's feasible, but seeing as there are only a handful of guys who've been able to dunk from the foul line, and barely at that, they'd need some kind of boost. No way anybody could do that from the NBA three point line though.
    Yeah, I thought so...Although, Bender can do anything, can't he?

Yeah, I thought so...Although, Bender can do anything, can't he?
    Oh, of course.

Maybe if you hauled a court to the moon....... :P
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

well, fist off- the dunking from the 3 point line nba or college is impossible.
    jordan (or anyone) in his prime could never have done it on any day. so let's just put that one to rest. and some names like david thompson and dr.j remind me of some other names the guy who said he was a retired sportswriter said he mentioned. he said doc told him he could not do it. and i think if david thompson could have, it would be stuff people would be talking about to this day. i used to have a video of an espn footlocker slamdunk challenge where anyone from anywhere could do some stuff. this guy named mike conley who was a triple jump athlete did the freee-throw dunk and clearly out jumped m.j. -and he was 6'2. he was clearly 3-4 inches behind the line and put it down.

anyway, this does not in way mean only nba ballers are welcome to try this. anyone and i mean anyone should be allowed to try it. but, for now, i am a skeptic. i want to be a believer in this.