Thread: Kegboy, USA Today confirms the ratings

Default Kegboy, USA Today confirms the ratings

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...-ratings_x.htm

Lakers-Pistons ratings send mixed signals

By Rudy Martzke, USA TODAY

The overnight rating for Sunday night's Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Detroit Pistons on ABC increased 43% compared with the overnight rating for the opener of last year's Finals between San Antonio and New Jersey.

Though the 11.6 for the Lakers-Pistons enabled ABC to win Sunday's prime-time network race, the Pistons' win was the second-lowest-rated NBA Finals opener since People Meter automated devices began tracking large-market overnight ratings in 1987 (last year's Game 1 drew an 8.1 on ABC). It also is 10% under the 12.9 for the Nets-Lakers Finals opener on NBC in 2002.

This year's ratings for the Finals were expected to improve over last year's. The popular Lakers are back in the series, the games' start times have been moved back a half-hour to 9 ET and the Lakers and Pistons are traditional NBA foes with large followings.

"The underdog Pistons winning the opener will bring more viewers, and this will now be a six- or seven-game series," TV consultant Neal Pilson said.

"It's not a big deal to be down from 2002," said Larry Novenstern of Deutsch Inc., an ad agency that has Mitsubishi on the Finals telecasts. "People are watching as much television as two years ago, but there are many more viewing choices. ... Not matching the rating of two years ago is consistent with erosion on national TV."

Default Re: Kegboy, USA Today confirms the ratings

This year's ratings for the Finals were expected to improve over last year's. The popular Lakers are back in the series, the games' start times have been moved back a half-hour to 9 ET and the Lakers and Pistons are traditional NBA foes with large followings.
    Ruh-roh.

Don't think David Stern isn't keenly aware of this. It feels like it was almost scripted. Anyone think we won't get jobbed in next year's playoffs (should we make it)?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ruh-roh.

Don't think David Stern isn't keenly aware of this. It feels like it was almost scripted. Anyone think we won't get jobbed in next year's playoffs (should we make it)?
    IF the NBA is scripted, how in god's name do you explain NEW JERSEY and SAN ANTONIO in 2003? One team in a large market but NO following, and the other with a large following but in a market the size of my backyard. DETROIT got a higher TV rating in that series than the NJ/NY area.

BTW, I said the fact Detroit and LA have a very nasty finals history would draw people.......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Ruh-roh.

IF the NBA is scripted, how in god's name do you explain NEW JERSEY and SAN ANTONIO in 2003?
    You answered your own question, didn't you?

Ruh-roh.

IF the NBA is scripted, how in god's name do you explain NEW JERSEY and SAN ANTONIO in 2003?
    Um, what? That was quite possibly one of the least-popular series in history.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Ruh-roh.

Um, what? That was quite possibly one of the least-popular series in history.
    Exactly.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

I didn't think it possible, but I think bullet defended both sides of the same argument faster than NewYawk ever did. Is everyone still OK? That has to be a sign of the apocalypse.

I didn't think it possible, but I think bullet defended both sides of the same argument faster than NewYawk ever did. Is everyone still OK? That has to be a sign of the apocalypse.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you all missed my point. I said it almost feels like this season was scripted. To which Kstat replied, "IF the NBA is scripted, how in god's name do you explain NEW JERSEY and SAN ANTONIO in 2003? That was quite possibly one of the least-popular series in history." To which I replied, "Exactly." Meaning, the league wasn't going to let that happen again.

One part of me would like to think that the two best teams are in the finals. Another part of me says, "Well, it's no surprise who's there because it's just too perfect, isn't it?" An NBA commissioner's "dream," if you will.

LAPacer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you all missed my point. I said it almost feels like this season was scripted. To which Kstat replied, "IF the NBA is scripted, how in god's name do you explain NEW JERSEY and SAN ANTONIO in 2003? That was quite possibly one of the least-popular series in history." To which I replied, "Exactly." Meaning, the league wasn't going to let that happen again.

One part of me would like to think that the two best bteams are in the finals. Another part of me says, "Well, it's no surprise who's there because it's just too perfect, isn't it?" An NBA commissioner's "dream," if you will.
    bulletproof, I understood your argument without the explanation. It was pretty clear to me.... and I agree somewhat. The lakers definitely are good enough to get to the finals without help, yet the NBA does the little things to help them and make sure. Detroit, I don't think got that much help since in the IND/DET series the calls were bad for both teams.

Detroit, I don't think got that much help since in the IND/DET series the calls were bad for both teams.
    Although Ben getting no fouls called against him in game 6 is a little odd, don't you think? He was all over people's backs.

Ok, now its clear.

We thought you were saying that the NBA is scripted (as in every year, even last year) then when Kstat said "how do you explain the horrible finals last year" you just said, "exactly", as if that explained why the NBA would script a terrible final.

Its clear now that you were meaning that BECAUSE of last year this year is scripted.

(I still think its silly to think any league is scripted. And Ben committed only one foul after gaurding Shaq all game, maybe its not the refs, maybe its just him.)

Its clear now that you were meaning that BECAUSE of last year this year is scripted.

(I still think its silly to think any league is scripted.)
    I mean that in the loosest sense of the word.

LAPacer

Ok, now its clear.

We thought you were saying that the NBA is scripted (as in every year, even last year) then when Kstat said "how do you explain the horrible finals last year" you just said, "exactly", as if that explained why the NBA would script a terrible final.

(I still think its silly to think any league is scripted. And Ben committed only one foul after gaurding Shaq all game, maybe its not the refs, maybe its just him.)
    I don't think he really meant its fully scripted. Just that the league has their definite preferences, and will do things to help their preferred teams win.

LAPacer

And Ben committed only one foul after gaurding Shaq all game, maybe its not the refs, maybe its just him.)
    I remember in the IND/DET series where Ben played 3 mins in the first half because of foul trouble. I don't think its Ben, its unbalanced officiating. Some days they let things go, other days they don't.

He did get two quick fouls in that game (LB kept him out the rest of the half like he did with Sheed in game one of the finals) but that doesn't necessarily support your position. Perhaps he actually commited fouls in that game while he was more careful in game 6 and game 1 of finals.

However, I would agree that ref-ing in the NBA is hit and miss but calls are always different from game to game in all leagues. Some hockey games have huge pentaly minutes while others have almost none. It seems we can only hope calls are consistent within each game, not between them.

LAPacer

I had two points in my previous points and one you agreed with.

1.) Reffing isn't consistent, game to game, within game, it doesn't matter. It is still inconsistent. Jeff Foster, Devin Brown, etc won't get calls.

2.) Ben is not a foul free player. He got fouls in a game against Ind. I don't think he was super careful in game 6. He definitely was agressive and sometimes jumped over peoples back. But hey, I'm not saying the refs are the reason the Pistons won. I said the calls were bad both ways. Pistons won cause they wanted it more, were more agressive, and the injuries to Jermaine and Tinsley were too much to overcome.

I had two points in my previous points and one you agreed with.

1.) Reffing isn't consistent, game to game, within game, it doesn't matter. It is still inconsistent. Jeff Foster, Devin Brown, etc won't get calls.

2.) Ben is not a foul free player. He got fouls in a game against Ind. I don't think he was super careful in game 6. He definitely was agressive and sometimes jumped over peoples back. But hey, I'm not saying the refs are the reason the Pistons won. I said the calls were bad both ways. Pistons won cause they wanted it more, were more agressive, and the injuries to Jermaine and Tinsley were too much to overcome.
    Ben Wallace averages fewer fouls than any big man in the NBA. If you had bothered to look at how he plays defense, he plays D with his feet, not his hands. He RARELY jumps in the air on his own man, and when its a guarenteed basket he prefers to give up the dunk rather than foul (as he did with shaq).

And when the biggest gripe about a player is OVER THE BACK FOULS, you know you're reaching........

LAPacer

Ben Wallace averages fewer fouls than any big man in the NBA. If you had bothered to look at how he plays defense, he plays D with his feet, not his hands. He RARELY jumps in the air on his own man, and when its a guarenteed basket he prefers to give up the dunk rather than foul (as he did with shaq).

And when the biggest gripe about a player is OVER THE BACK FOULS, you know you're reaching........
    If your point is that Ben plays clean D on most nights.. averaging only 2 fouls per game. ok. thats a random thought.. btw, reggie averages less fouls per game than ben. there's a random thought for you.

if your point is that he didn't commit any fouls in game 6, then that is where we disagree. i think he could've been called for at least 4 clear fouls in that game. but there is no need to debate that. i know jermaine got away with fouls too and your opinion is not consistent with mine, kinda like the officiating.