Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walsh introduced as Knick Wed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Walsh introduced as Knick Wed.

Walsh to be introduced as Knicks new GM on Wed... Sorry I don't have a link.. Just saw it scroll at the bottom of ESPN Breaking News bar..

Way to lie AGAIN, Donnie!! Say your not gonna make a decision till end of season.. Make the decision, deny it, then come out with you actually making the decision.. I for one am not too happy with his actions..

Default Re: Walsh introduced as Knick Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walsh to be introduced as Knicks new GM on Wed... Sorry I don't have a link.. Just saw it scroll at the bottom of ESPN Breaking News bar..

Way to lie AGAIN, Donnie!! Say your not gonna make a decision till end of season.. Make the decision, deny it, then come out with you actually making the decision.. I for one am not too happy with his actions..
    He actually said HOPEFULLY until the end. There's really no reason for him to wait until then. He's been good to us. Farewell and good luck Donnie! Much love to you for all your hard work!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

he'll be announced tomorrow morning.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I wonder if he'll keep Isaiah. That's what Steven A. Smith was saying. I don't know if that's a good idea. Doubt if Isaiah can get those players back.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    I wonder if he'll keep Isaiah. That's what Steven A. Smith was saying. I don't know if that's a good idea. Doubt if Isaiah can get those players back.
    Lets hope he does, He let Isiah pick fred jones... We could probably get that fat marbury expiring contract and david lee out of JO. We all know how much zeke loves JO. Id rather have their lottery pick, but I know Donnie is not that stupid.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Screw Donnie, he may have built up th Pacers, but he also led the downfall. I owe him nothing and just don't care.
    No matter how much success Larry Bird attains in Indiana he'll never top that first command to fire Thomas. -Peter Vecsey. NY Post 12/4/07

Really immaterial to me when he leaves since he's going to leave.

Mood

now that hes out of the way, its time to start fresh.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Mood

-Miss each other? No, thank you. I not gonna miss each other.

-Yeah, I'm going to cry myself to sleep every night while I'm out partying.

Sorry about the lame SuperBad reference.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04022008...cks_104565.htm

WALSH HIRED TO RUN KNICKS

GARDEN ANNOUNCEMENT TODAY

By MARC BERMAN

April 2, 2008 -- MILWAUKEE - Donnie Walsh is coming home.

The Knicks will announce the hiring of the esteemed Pacers executive as their new president today at a Garden news conference at 1 p.m., according to a team source.

The hiring of Walsh, the 67-year-old Bronx-born executive, spells the end of the disastrous four-year Isiah Thomas Era. Thomas will not be at the press conference. With the Knicks playing in Memphis tonight, Thomas will still coach the game and is expected to finish out the season on the bench.

Thomas is expected to be removed from the bench at season's end, though he could be retained in a front-office capacity and help out with this June's vital lottery pick that could turn the direction of the franchise. However, Thomas has lost the power he had wielded for four years during a nightmare run. Last week, Thomas became the second-quickest Knicks coach to reach 100 losses.

Walsh, who along with owner James Dolan could join the Knicks tonight in Memphis, also is expected to hire a GM and Billy King has been mentioned prominently as a top candidate. Glen Grunwald currently holds that role.

Walsh was not in Indianapolis yesterday, but was said to be at a speaking engagement out of town, initiating speculation he could be in New York. Walsh had been negotiating with the Knicks for the past week.

Following last night's overtime 119-115 loss to the Bucks, Thomas, when asked generically about his stint, said he had no regrets and added, "I feel we still have a bright future."

The Knicks had hoped to make the announcement at season's end, but speculation about his situation became too severe. But it also makes sense to make the announcement now and put Walsh into the middle of the mess to observe the decay of a 20-54 season.

Walsh, out of Fordham prep and the University of North Carolina, spent 24 years with the Pacers but stepped down nine days ago, saying he had been there too long. It was also believed it had become an awkward situation between Walsh and Larry Bird.

Commissioner David Stern helped encourage Dolan to pursue Walsh and admitted last week he calls him for basketball advice.

Mark Jackson could be considered the top candidate to become the Knicks coach because of his strong ties with Walsh. Scott Skiles and Rick Carlisle are the two most successful unemployed coaches and Knicks assistant Herb Williams, a Dolan and Walsh favorite, could get an interview.

Walsh has a huge task and will be given full control of the operation with Dolan expected to take a step back. Walsh is extremely media friendly while Dolan has had a strict media policy.

His philosophy will likely be to break it down and try to get under the salary cap after the 2010 season when LeBron James becomes a free agent. The only way the Knicks can get under the cap is to trade Zach Randolph and either Jamal Crawford or Eddy Curry.

The Bucks also are in search of a GM and interviewed Suns executive David Griffin Monday. Milwaukee fans are hoping the Knicks-Walsh thing falls through because the rumor here is Walsh, friends with Kohl, would then join the Bucks and reunite with Larry Brown.

In Walsh's 22 years overseeing the franchise as GM, the Pacers made the playoffs 17 times, with six Eastern final berths and one Finals appearance.
    -----------------------

Nevermind.

I'd tell him .. " Don't let the door hit ya .... where the good Lord split ya " ...
    Last edited by Kemo; 04-02-2008 at 04:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I find it funny that everyone wanted either Donnie or Larry to leave, but I guess to be unemployed, too.

Anyway, I would recommend not skipping the article and reading it thoroughly. Lots of interesting tidbits.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Great article. Glad I went back to read it on KegBoy's advice. I hope he can change my knicks around. It would be nice to be under the salary cap cause no one on that team deserves half of what they are making. The only worthy piece on that team is David Lee and that is not saying too much.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

And so NOW Stern will start making it up personally to Walsh for all the evil he put on the Pacers the past decade or so. Only it will benefit the Knicks....and Stern will smile again. BTW...since DW's contract runs thru the end of the season, I'm calling out Stern for interfering with a DW's relationship with the Pacers. Not the Knicks, the COMMISIONER...sticking his nose into team affairs...again.

MEH...I wish him well. He was a good and faithful "fan" of the Pacers for a very long time. However, if he indeed is joining the Knicks I don't think the Simons owe him a Bentley or anything along that line.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I just hope Walsh doesn't trick Bird into a bad trade or really a trade period unless its the Knicks pick involved.

Maybe reuniting JO with Zeke is in order for cap relief and a pick? Nah, Donnie would never do it.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've seen all kinds of reactions to this here and other places, including the ludicrous statement that Donnie single-handedly destroyed a once-proud franchise.

The one that gets me is the whining about Donnie constantly "lying".

Something we never have appreciated is the single-decision-at-a-time aspect of Donnie's tenure. It is very possible that he really does complete a step and then re-analyze his next one, as opposed to having it all irrevocably planned out.

The goal during conferences and announcements is to keep the media focused on the message you are delivering now, and not let them take it on a tangent. That's why, every time, Donnie's announcements have only been about the current action or message. He has always deflected questions about later moves with statements that he has made no final decision. I suspect he really feels he hasn't done so, in those cases.

I wish Donnie well in a land where the commissioner has a stake in the team's fortune. I fully expect the Knicks to have the #1 draft pick no matter where they fall in the standings. I'm sure it will be a joy for Donnie to get to use one after so many years with no hope of getting it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I hope Donnie falls flat on his face. He's a KNICK now.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post

How do you know the Simons didn't just tell him to go ahead and leave now? That happens a lot in business and that's what the NBA is - entertainment business. Once he said he won't return and they knew he was looking to work elsewhere, why not just tell him "good luck" and clean out your office?

I'm guessing that's what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

So let me get this straight. He's hiring a GM. Why exactly? I thought he wanted to run things himself? If you hire a GM, isn't that dividing the decision making again? Does he really want to have another two-headed monster? 3-headed if he retains Isiah? I don't think the Isiah part is as-likely, but I thought Bird and Donnie both felt having two voices was a problem here. Why turn around and do it again?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    So let me get this straight. He's hiring a GM. Why exactly? I thought he wanted to run things himself? If you hire a GM, isn't that dividing the decision making again? Does he really want to have another two-headed monster? 3-headed if he retains Isiah? I don't think the Isiah part is as-likely, but I thought Bird and Donnie both felt having two voices was a problem here. Why turn around and do it again?
    I thought Donnie felt the problem wasn't in the intended structure, it was in the fact he'd been here so long that some people would only talk to hime while others would talk to Bird.

One would think that in a new setup the lines of demarcation would be more clear.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Alright:

Zeke was the scapegoat
    Ron Artest was the scapegoat
    Stephen Jackson was the scapegoat
    Rick Carlisle was the scapegoat
    Donnie Walsh is the scapegoat

People it is just not that easy.

Go ahead and call me a conspiracy theorist, but does anyone else find it odd that Donnie is announcing he's going to NYwhen IU is announcing their new head coach? Do you think they were just waiting on Donnie to be the "second story" in the state so people would kind of brush off him going to NY? Am I reaching too far? Probably.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Maybe he wants to be the Don and have a GM be Sonny. I guess that makes Bird, Fredo. Yikes!!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

I have mixed feelings....
    Donnie was arguably one of the best things that ever happened to this franchise. He is the biggest part of why the Indy franchise was once considered the "model franchise". We acted with class, built player relations that created bonds that will live on.
    That said, his departure was inevitable, & the timing is likely best now. He is 67, & has not exactly made any great decisions that he built his reputation on over the past 5+ yr. While his love for this franchise is still there, I think a big part of his heart left along w/ Reggie. Not just w/ Reggie "the man", but w/ Reggie "the era" The ear of classy vets, hard nose play, and good decisions. What remained after Reggie was not some of Donnie's best work. I think that took it's toll. I think Donnie knew that Reg left a yr or too sooner because of the makeup of the team more then his desire to play. Add Larry Bird, & I think Donnie too kinda lost his will to "play". He recently said "I didn't sign up for this" when referring to dealing w/ all the off-court PR/ "babysitting". Donnie wanted an out, & he got it.
    Where I am upset is I'm not 100% sold on Bird making ALL of the decisions (draft/cap/contracts...). BUT, most of all, I don't want him to sign Mark Jackson as their coach!!! He was my choice to be our coach l/y over Jim O'B. I think Mark would bring a professionalism, charisma, knowledge, & leadership that we need. He is a "point guard" in every aspect on & off the court, & his off-court "spiritual" beliefs is something that regardles of ones personal religious beliefs, could not hurt this team. His freindship/ "brotherhood" w/ one "Reggie Miller" would not have hurt in uniting everyone either!
    I wish Donnie well personally, but professionally, I hope he fails.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    Alright:

David Stern was the scapegoat
    David Stern is the scapegoat

People it is just not that easy.
    Yes it is.

But seriously, who doesn't think that the Knicks will now with some tact attempt to sell us their expensive pieces of fake jewelry...and that we take it?