Thread: Does the NBA play favorites.

LAPacer

Default Does the NBA play favorites.

This has been discussed as side topics in other threads. Personally I feel that the NBA doesn't go by the letter of the nba rule book, but by whatever suits it best. I know the refs don't dunk the ball for 2 for the desired teams, but they do give them a nudge. Some people think that a good team will win despite bad reffing, but why is there bad reffing in the first place? Why does there have to be an extra advantage, when the parity among the elite in the NBA is enough of a hurdle? Here are a few examples of shady manipulation by the NBA.

-Western Conference finals (2002). End of the game, lakers are down, Kobe elbows Bibby to the face and Bibby gets called for a foul. Lakers win.
    -Regular Season (2003-2004) Denver nuggets lose a game to the Lakers on a phantom time out called by the refs. NBA issues an apology but not a win for the nuggets.
    -Eastern Conference playoffs (90's). Phantom Larry Johnson 4 point play at the end of game. Flagrant foul called on Reggie for intentionally trying to foul Starks to stop the clock. Jordan, "if he misses it, call a foul rule" in the 4th qaurter of all playoff games.
    -Suspensions. Artest suspended for accidental elbow to DAnderson. Anderson goes to press and says he knew Artest didn't do it intentionally. Malone not suspened for elbow above the head to DMartin, even after Malone was proud enough to claime "I was sending a message".

Yes, the Lakers, Knicks, Chicago were very very good teams. They could have won games without help. But why do they get nudges of help by the association. I'm not saying the NBA is corrupt like boxing, but in my opinion it isn't squeaky clean.

Default Re: Does the NBA play favorites.

I see the "(imo) blatant favoritism" in a different form.

Though I believe that refs sometimes hold back and/or are trigger happy in favour of the established "big markets" I see it on a whole other level:

Play of the week, month, year, day, highlight-reels, pictures offered for sale on NBA.com etc.
    Look at those reels, with rare excemption they will be of a Laker, Lebron or any other "marketing interesting player" and rarely if ever of the real highlight of the week.

"dunk of the week", did you see Freddie on Ben? nope, you see a Ben dunk, and a Kobe one.

Charity auction for tickets to the ECF and WCF, tickets for where? right LA and Detroit.

Calls from a ref are always arbitrary, most we don't like, Shaq's Flagrant 2 last night on Ben was not even called as a flagrant 1, Ron would've been suspended for the duration of the playoffs no doubt.

Those are not orders from higher ups, those are refs who like to be have a burger or a talk or just be seen with, the big man.

alas, that will cost games, but is human.

(oh and I hate it when that happens, but I do not blame the league for that, personally I think that the lead ref last night should be suspended indefinitely for not calling a flagrant on that one)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

woman without a team

I'd say its more the refs than the league and more Stu Jackson than David Stern. I voted for "blatant all the time" because they don't keep it under the radar or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you think about it this way , The Refs are somewhat the controllers of the tempo of a game , they need to balance it . Sometimes they Let the Guys run and Bang and then You always have a Period where they can't keep the whistle outta there mouths.

I think the Refs do a okay job for the most part , of course they miss calls or may let some go , but how fun would it be everytime a team got the ball they called a foul , yes they could call some violation on probably every play. To me that would be oh so boring , I do think though if the Refs establish some sort of this is a foul and that's not a foul they should try to stay more consistant through the whole game.

Something that's a foul in the First may not be a foul in the 4th , especially in a tight game and I really hate when the refs get whistle happy ...it just kills the game tempo and mood for me. No I am not saying let them run buck wild , noticed alot of people didn't like the ECF because it was a slow grind out game and alot of people think basketball is Run and Gun west coast style.

Mood

but how fun would it be everytime a team got the ball they called a foul
    That'd happen for about a week. Then everyone would realise they can't get away with grabbing anymore, and *gasp* they'd be forced to use their feet!

I've seen tapes of older NBA games, they didn't used to let NEARLY as much grabbing and bumping go like they do now. They should try to go back to that.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That'd happen for about a week. Then everyone would realise they can't get away with grabbing anymore, and *gasp* they'd be forced to use their feet!

I've seen tapes of older NBA games, they didn't used to let NEARLY as much grabbing and bumping go like they do now. They should try to go back to that.
    Oh I agree , but would the modern day player not complain and cry ? You gotta realize the players these days aren't like they were 10 or 20 years ago.

Mood

Oh I agree , but would the modern day player not complain and cry ? You gotta realize the players these days aren't like they were 10 or 20 years ago.
    I don't think anyone, fans, GMs, refs, will give a damn if they cry and complain. Truth is, they already cry and complain. They'd just cry and complain the other way is all.

Mark Cuban has some interesting data here:

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/4103434898932977/

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think anyone, fans, GMs, refs, will give a damn if they cry and complain. Truth is, they already cry and complain. They'd just cry and complain the other way is all.
    I'm praying for the day this happens.

In my mind, "Let 'em play" means that all the fouls should be called. Its not the officials fault that play would stop so frequently, its the players' responsibility to adjust. When the fans get antsy over all the stoppages (this happened for a while at the beginning of a season a few years back), they're not booing the refs, they're booing the players for not catching on quick enough. They've got skills, but they get away with fouling instead, and fouling is much easier for just about every single player that's ever played than moving thier feet to play defense. ed:
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you