Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who knows DW?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Who knows DW?

Ok guys, it time.......

we all know the multitude of baseless trade rumours can only entertain us for so long until eventually, well.... ed:

So why not spice it up with some good ol' competition?

WHo knows their GM(s?) the best (and lets avoid turning this into an argument about who really wields the power of veto )

Basically predict what will happen in this pacers offseason.... No ambiguous references to a 'shooting guard who can create his own shot' or a 'big man who can... be big' rather names and deals.

So we can crown an offseason expert at some later date.

(Ok so basically we are just providing a topic to direct baseless rumours to but hey.... here somenody can win )
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Default Re: Who knows DW?

Sounds like fun...I have to go back to the batcave and think about this for a while...

Basically predict what will happen in this pacers offseason....
    Bird protects JO, Ron, Al, Tins, Foster, Fred, Bender, and Brezac.

If JJ is a free agent then the Pacers resign him and Charlotte doesn't select anyone from the Pacers. If JJ is not a free agent Charlotte selects him.

He resigns Brewer, but not Kenny Anderson.

Bird trades Al, Pollard, Fred, and next years 1st round draft choice for Dampier, Richardson, and Cardinal.

Mood

Bird trades Al, Pollard, Fred, and a 1st round draft choice next year for Dampier, Richardson, and Cardinal.
    there is one..... Will Galen locked away.

Step right folks, Step right up....

Everyone loves a carnival atmosphere... dont they?
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Oh I know ....DW....is Donnie Walsh!
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Bird trades Al, Pollard, Fred, and a 1st round draft choice next year for Dampier, Richardson, and Cardinal.
    Holy sheet. That's what I was told would happen, only it's this year's pick GS will get the rights to sign. By the way, I love Brian Cardinal. Damp and J Rich are ok.

I, however, fearlessly predict that JRich will not become a Pacer.

Mood

Oh I know ....DW....is Donnie Walsh!
    ahh yes there is always one..... ed:

My sure-to-be-right prediction:

We will not get, or even strongly persue, Dampier.

If we wanted to pay a center the type of money he's going to get, we would have just paid Brad.

I also think that Dampier played the way he played this year because its a contract year and that he will be a disappointment to whoever signs him.

On top of that, in the future his contract will be mentioned in the same tones usually reserved for Austin's.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

My sure-to-be-right prediction:

We will not get, or even strongly persue, Dampier.

If we wanted to pay a center the type of money he's going to get, we would have just paid Brad.

I also think that Dampier played the way he played this year because its a contract year and that he will be a disappointment to whoever signs him.

On top of that, in the future his contract will be mentioned in the same tones usually reserved for Austin's.
    Yep. We will not get him. And I don't even want him at all.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

diego

Expansion Draft:

They protect - JO, Artest, Tins, Foster, Reggie, freddie, Al, Bender
    Charlotte picks up Brezec from us

Free agents -- They resign Brewer and he spends one more year as third backup behind Tins and AJ before taking over for AJ the following year....Anderson goes elsewhere

Draft -- They select a Euro player as a project that they can let play another year or two in Europe while they have a full lineup....no harm here as 29th pick probably wont produce much

Trades -- they do a sign and trade with GS for Dampier and give up Al and Pollard

Unfortuneately we do not make blockbuster trade to get big time SG, instead Reggie returns for final season and is starter again, backed up by Freddie

We use Mid level exception to go out and get a shooter. Dont really have a name here so i am going to just say Jon Barry.

Full anaylsis:

Starting lineup next year of Tins, Reggie, Artest, JO, Dampier.....backups are AJ, Freddie/Barry, Bender, Cro, Foster,
    James Jones and Brewer again get relegated minutes but are being groomed for major roles the following season.

Bender takes over as 6th man replacing Harringtons minutes. Reggie starts but plays less minutes (15-20) and Freddie and Barry split up the other 28-33 dependant upon matchups.

Cro becomes JOs backup and Foster is Dampier backup.

All in all Bird and DW go for more bulk to compete with Detroit front line and use exceptions to fill out shooter spots. As much as the franchise would liek to get big time SG, they dont do it while Reggie is here much to the dismay of the fans.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Okay I will Start Off Slooooooooow ..Pacers won't have the same Roster next year , new players will be added

To be Continued

sweabs

Wow...I really, REALLY hope we don't acquire Dampier.

diego

Well i think he could be a good fit here. But thats just my opinion. I dont see another center out there better than him that would be available, and i think teamed with JO and Artest would be a great frontline. Foster is good and i really like hsi game, but IMO he is better suited as a backup where he can really be the energy and sparkplug.

Mood

Well don't get your hopes to high , i have a friend of a friend who knows someone in the Pacers Office and he says you will hear the Pacers and Dampier mentioned alot in a few weeks.

No I am not joking or trying to be funny.

sweabs

Well don't get your hopes to high , i have a friend of a friend who knows someone in the Pacers Office and he says you will hear the Pacers and Dampier mentioned alot in a few weeks.

Well if that is the case, then I hope the name Jason Richardson is also making appearances.

I can believe that. Everything I heard at the trade deadline (mainly from people in the know that are Warrior fans) is that we nearly nabbed him in Feb. along with either Claxton or Dunleavy.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yup! I remember that rumour. If I recall correctly it was only cancelled because Artest got injured, right

I'm not out on Dampier. He's big, strong, very good rebounder, but I don't really know muchg about his passing out from the double team or inside the paint, don't know much about his shooting and I heard he was pretty slow, further ... wasnt this a contract year for him

I just don't know, if he would fit in he would be fantastic to have, on the other hand WILL he keep competing the same with his new contract? How long will that contract be? For how much? Shouldnt we prioritisize the SG position, soo many questions.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I'd probably take Damp. I mean, center-wise we're swapping Pollard for him. That makes Damp an upgrade by default even if he flops.

If we can get a good little guy too, I'm all for it.

I'd probably take Damp. I mean, center-wise we're swapping Pollard for him. That makes Damp an upgrade by default even if he flops.

But his contract will be bigger. And longer.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

1) Reggie will retire.

2) We will lose Primos to Charlotte

3) We will move up into the top 25 to draft the korean kid.
    3a) If not then we will take which ever is availabe between the Korean, the Puerto Rican, or the Argentinian at #29.

4) Al will be used to gain a SG (no not Allen too much$$$$) young and developing, just the way DW likes em.

<edit> 3 and 4 are null and void if what I truelly believe comes to pass. I really think you'll see a major move up in the draft by the Pacers. (2 thru 4 somewhere in there)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default The Journal of Donnie Walsh

June 21st 4:37AM
    I've been up all night reading my scouting reports, talking to Larry, and sneaking over to PD for last minute insight. Everyone there is clamoring for a shooting guard. But I've been in this business long enough to know that shooting guards are a dime a dozen - we'll get one in a few weeks. I'm looking high and low for a big man. So is everybody else. I have a feeling that we are going to have to play the hand we are dealt and just get the best guy on the board. I can already hears the screams "ANOTHER SMALL FORWARD?!?!?" Oh well. The guy that we will probably end up with is Lawrence Roberts. He's a bit of a tweener SF/PF, but his offense game and rebounding skills are similar to Al, and we can work on his defense.

June 22nd 9:35PM
    Well we slipped through the cracks on expansion day. The Bobcats have been wheeling and dealing all day (must be nice to have all that room under the cap). I was conflicted about putting Reggie on the list, knowing what it would mean if Charlotte selected him. Ironically it was his decision to play another year that cemented his spot on the list. If Charlotte thought he would retire they would have snapped him up for the cap space. His salary was just too high for them, knowing that he would play one more year.

July 5th 11:56PM
    Well, Larry and I finally pulled the trigger. Houston and Orlando had been trying to work a Francis-McGrady trade, but Orlando wanted a big guy too, and Houston wanted to unload Mobley with McGrady coming in. So they called us up asking about Harrington. I'll probably get crucified publicly (I'm used to that), but we need a guy that can shoot from the outside and Mobley hits at almost 40% from the arc, so we are putting the finishing touches on a deal that sends Harrington and Francis to Orlando, McGrady to Houston and brings Mobley here.

I've decided to stand pat at the point guard spot. We've promised Jamison the 3rd spot - that should keep him happy. I'll smooth things over with Reggie and Freddie tomorrow.

I'll also need to talk to Jonathan about his critical role next year. He's got big shoes to fill.

Ironically the position I'm concerned about the most is the backup PF/C spots. When Jeff sits we can move Jermaine over, but JB won't be able to fill that spot the way Al did. Larry's been looking for a big guy that we can use the MLE on. More later.

July 7th 5:21PM
    I wish we still had Brad Miller. The search for a backup PF/C continues. We might be stuck with Scot as our Center and Bender as our PF. Spoke with Vlade's agent and he said that he is not really interested in coming here, even with our team at the cusp of winning it all. Stromile said that he is about to re-sign with Memphis. Will talk with Etan and Joel tomorrow.

July 10th 3:14PM
    We just agreed to terms with Antonio McDyess. His injury history concerns me, but he can play the PF and C spots and getting him for the MLE could be a steal if he is back to his old self. I would have liked to have gotten more than a 1 year contract out of him, but he is determined to show that he is back and will look for that payday next year. If he does play well, we have a shot at resigning him, or could swing a sign-and-trade. I've got my fingers crossed, but its worth it.

I guess that solidifes us.

We have:

Jamaal, Anthony, and Jamison
    Cuttino, Fred, and Reggie
    Ron, and Jonathan, and James
    Jermaine, Antonio, and Austin
    Jeff, Scot and Primoz

I think we are a little more balanced and ready to go. This is the year.

I am not sure if we would trade up in the draft, IF we do, then forget all other trades, tweaking at most.

As for Dampier:

ONLY if J-Rich is part of the deal, and I believe that to be the demand in the front-office as well.

Also, NO new contract for Damp, existing contract for 2 years (so he does NOT opt out) which would suit the P's better anyway, we can decide in two years time what we want to do with him, while having either Brezec ready or a draftpick ready by then (this year's pick)
    AJ, night well opt out and not be re-signed (monetary reasons, he will be able I think to get a nice pay rise somewhere, he had an impressive playoffs series, i remember the whole season however and nay mind him getting more money elsewhere) Brewer will be re-signed and moved up in the rotation (Unless the off chance that we can trade Ron for a ceritfied top5 player) .
    JJ will be re-signed, Brezec protected, unless we can't get rid of Polly (whom i would miss, the man has more humour in his lil toe then the rest of the team combined)
    With J-Rich and Freddie the need for a SG is deminished and Reg can still start for a token 4 minutes.
    JB will be the 6th man.

Pacers will win the whole show.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

But his contract will be bigger. And longer.
    I don't think that matters. If we trade for him, we think he's a good long-term fit. And we'd be paying no more for him than the combined salaries of Pollard and Al.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Default Re: The Journal of Donnie Walsh

June 21st 4:37AM
    I've been up all night reading my scouting reports, talking to Larry, and sneaking over to PD for last minute insight. Everyone there is clamoring for a shooting guard. But I've been in this business long enough to know that shooting guards are a dime a dozen - we'll get one in a few weeks. I'm looking high and low for a big man. So is everybody else. I have a feeling that we are going to have to play the hand we are dealt and just get the best guy on the board. I can already hears the screams "ANOTHER SMALL FORWARD?!?!?" Oh well. The guy that we will probably end up with is Lawrence Roberts. He's a bit of a tweener SF/PF, but his offense game and rebounding skills are similar to Al, and we can work on his defense.

June 22nd 9:35PM
    Well we slipped through the cracks on expansion day. The Bobcats have been wheeling and dealing all day (must be nice to have all that room under the cap). I was conflicted about putting Reggie on the list, knowing what it would mean if Charlotte selected him. Ironically it was his decision to play another year that cemented his spot on the list. If Charlotte thought he would retire they would have snapped him up for the cap space. His salary was just too high for them, knowing that he would play one more year.

July 5th 11:56PM
    Well, Larry and I finally pulled the trigger. Houston and Orlando had been trying to work a Francis-McGrady trade, but Orlando wanted a big guy too, and Houston wanted to unload Mobley with McGrady coming in. So they called us up asking about Harrington. I'll probably get crucified publicly (I'm used to that), but we need a guy that can shoot from the outside and Mobley hits at almost 40% from the arc, so we are putting the finishing touches on a deal that sends Harrington and Francis to Orlando, McGrady to Houston and brings Mobley here.

I've decided to stand pat at the point guard spot. We've promised Jamison the 3rd spot - that should keep him happy. I'll smooth things over with Reggie and Freddie tomorrow.

I'll also need to talk to Jonathan about his critical role next year. He's got big shoes to fill.

Ironically the position I'm concerned about the most is the backup PF/C spots. When Jeff sits we can move Jermaine over, but JB won't be able to fill that spot the way Al did. Larry's been looking for a big guy that we can use the MLE on. More later.

July 7th 5:21PM
    I wish we still had Brad Miller. The search for a backup PF/C continues. We might be stuck with Scot as our Center and Bender as our PF. Spoke with Vlade's agent and he said that he is not really interested in coming here, even with our team at the cusp of winning it all. Stromile said that he is about to re-sign with Memphis. Will talk with Etan and Joel tomorrow.

July 10th 3:14PM
    We just agreed to terms with Antonio McDyess. His injury history concerns me, but he can play the PF and C spots and getting him for the MLE could be a steal if he is back to his old self. I would have liked to have gotten more than a 1 year contract out of him, but he is determined to show that he is back and will look for that payday next year. If he does play well, we have a shot at resigning him, or could swing a sign-and-trade. I've got my fingers crossed, but its worth it.

I guess that solidifes us.

We have:

Jamaal, Anthony, and Jamison
    Cuttino, Fred, and Reggie
    Ron, and Jonathan, and James
    Jermaine, Antonio, and Austin
    Jeff, Scot and Primoz

I think we are a little more balanced and ready to go. This is the year.

All that's missing from this are Donnie's cigarette breaks...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

I am just wondering why Donnie and LArry would be speaking with Vlade's agent , Vlade and his 2 pack of smokes a day , wonder if Donnie smokes that much ?