Thread: Reggie interested in helping the Pacers in the future.

Default Reggie interested in helping the Pacers in the future.

http://sports.excite.com/news/03262008/v3585.html

Former Pacers Star Reggie Miller Calls Departing CEO Walsh \"Godfather\" of Franchise
    By CLIFF BRUNT
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP)

Donnie Walsh called the shots, and Reggie Miller made them.

In nearly two decades together, Walsh and Miller changed the Indiana Pacers from NBA also-rans to title contenders. Miller retired in 2005, and when Walsh said Monday he'd step down as Pacers CEO at the end of this season, it signaled the end of an era.

Though the franchise has been riddled with off-the-court problems and losing in recent years, Miller, a five-time All-Star and revered clutch shooter, prefers to remember the glory days. Together, the Walsh-Miller combination reached the Eastern Conference finals six times, won the Central Division four times and made the NBA Finals in 2000.

Before Walsh took over as general manager in 1986, the Pacers had five consecutive losing seasons with an average record of 26-56.

"He put this franchise on the map," Miller told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "He was the architect, the Godfather, the don, the patriarch."

Walsh had similar praise for Miller when Miller's jersey was retired in March 2006. Walsh said the Pacers weren't taken seriously after they left the ABA for the NBA in 1976, but that changed with Miller's arrival.

"You catapulted us into the elite of the NBA," Walsh told Miller during the ceremony. "You have been the heart and soul of this franchise for 18 years, and No. 31 deserves to go up with the best of the best."

There are reports that Walsh has agreed to take control of the New York Knicks, though the Pacers say Walsh hasn't made a decision about his future. Miller said he didn't know Walsh's plans, but said if another franchise gets him, that team would be lucky.

"This is a guy who's been in the business 20-plus years," Miller said. "He has great connections, he's well-respected throughout the league. He understands people and player personnel. He understands management. I think you're going to get a combination of all those things."

One of Miller's best memories of Walsh was watching him beam with pride during the 1994 playoffs. The Pacers won their first Central Division title and first playoff series as an NBA franchise that year. Indiana beat Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway's Orlando Magic in the first round, then defeated the Atlanta Hawks in the second round before losing to New York in the Eastern Conference finals. Miller said Walsh was happy to see his dreams start becoming a reality.

"The joy on Donnie's face after he'd come to the locker room after games - you could tell he could feel something special was going on in Indiana," Miller said. "To me, that's when the franchise was really reborn."

Miller said one of Walsh's best qualities is his unwillingness to reveal his draft plans. Miller had an uneventful visit with the team and didn't expect the Pacers to take him with the 11th pick of the 1987 draft.

"He really holds his cards close to the vest," Miller said. "I really didn't think I was going to Indiana. He never said 'hey, you're our guy,' or, 'we really loved your workout.' He didn't do anything."

Walsh later told him he never considered anyone else with the pick.
    Miller said Walsh's best quality is that he's truthful.

"In any walk of life, you want your co-workers or your bosses to be honest with you," Miller said. "That's one thing that Donnie has always been with me. You want to be working for someone who's going to tell you straight out. He tells it like it is. He never beats around the bush."

Perhaps that's why they got along so well. The outspoken Miller has at times criticized Pacers players for their off-the-court issues, but always has remained loyal to Walsh.

Miller says he's happy as a Turner Network Television analyst, but he hasn't ruled out helping the franchise someday if asked. "I'm sure I would consider it," he said. "I would think about it, but right now, my obligation is to Turner for the next four to five years. It's something I've thought about. We'll see."
    ------------------------------------------

That last statement by Reggie is interesting because I'm sure he doesn't want to coach. Could he be our next GM if Bird doesn't work out?
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-27-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Mood

Default Re: Reggie interested in helping the Pacers in the future.

I don't want to wait four to five years.

I just love reading this part, - gives me chills - that was something special - after all the years - all the losses,

"One of Miller's best memories of Walsh was watching him beam with pride during the 1994 playoffs. The Pacers won their first Central Division title and first playoff series as an NBA franchise that year. Indiana beat Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway's Orlando Magic in the first round, then defeated the Atlanta Hawks in the second round before losing to New York in the Eastern Conference finals. Miller said Walsh was happy to see his dreams start becoming a reality.

"The joy on Donnie's face after he'd come to the locker room after games - you could tell he could feel something special was going on in Indiana," Miller said. "To me, that's when the franchise was really reborn."

Hopefully TPTB is listening. If they truly want to bring the fans back to Conseco, then they will do whatever it takes to bring back REGGIE!
    All saints have a past. All sinners have a future.

We didn't win the Central Division in '94, Atlanta and Chicago were way ahead of us.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We didn't win the Central Division in '94, Atlanta and Chicago were way ahead of us.
    You are correct sir. here are the final standings

Atlanta Hawks 57 - 25
    Chicago Bulls 55 - 27
    Cleveland Cavaliers 47 - 35
    Indiana Pacers 47 - 35
    Charlotte Hornets 41 - 41
    Milwaukee Bucks 20 - 62
    Detroit Pistons 20 - 62

Anyone else take joy in seeing the Pistons 20-62. I know it was that was 14 years ago, but still. l

Musta been 94-95, not 93-94.

Central Division WLPct. GB
    Indiana Pacers 52 30 .634 -
    Charlotte Hornets 50 32 .610 2
    Chicago Bulls 47 35 .573 5
    Cleveland Cavaliers 43 39 .524 9
    Atlanta Hawks 42 40 .512 10
    Milwaukee Bucks 34 48 .415 18
    Detroit Pistons 28 54 .341 24

I'd take Reggie back any day. If anything else, it would be fantastic PR wise.
    When I dunk, I put something on it. I want the ball to hit the floor before I do. ~Darryl Dawkins

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

This would help (maybe) bring more people into Conseco. It'd be cool to see Reggie stay around the place for a little while longer. This would make my mom very happy anyways, she's a big Reggie person. Too bad it has to be in the matter of years, but good things happen to those who wait, right?

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

You know kravits and eddie on their show a while back asked reggie whether he would want to GM for the pacers and they seemed to indicate his initial reaction said "yes", even though he gave the standard "Im happy where Im at" sort of thing.

There is one option if Larry doesen't work out... but than again, theres no reason to think Reggie would be any better really. We could always bring him in to scout for us or something, really the PR would be wonderful.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Great opening line.