Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Digital Photography - Tips and Tricks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Photography - Tips and Tricks.

Decided to start this in the off-topic boards.

I have a FujiFilm S700 7.1 MP camera.

Using automatic settings at Conseco Fieldhouse, I get grainy photos. It has a very high resolution, but I can't keep the photos from turning out a little grainy.

Re: Digital Photography - Tips and Tricks.

Automatic settings don't help. Does the onboard flash go off when you are taking the shots?

I think you should shoot in aperture priority mode. I have the rebel XT and that is the only mode I shoot in.

When a photo is created, there are two sides to the equation. The aperture (or f-stop) setting tells the camera how much light to let in, and the shutter speed is the other half, telling the shutter how long to stay open based on how much light is getting let in for exposure. The wild card in this equation is the ISO speed. On film cameras, the ISO is set by the speed of film you would purchase. On digital cameras, this is just a number setting. The higher the ISO setting, the less light needed to take a balanced photo. This equates to a higher aperture setting (less light let in and greater depth of field) but still allowing for a fast shutter speed (good stop action).

The problem with a low aperture setting is that your depth of field is narrow. The lower the aperture, the thinner your focal plane is. Basically, whatever subject your camera focuses on, everything that is at that same distance away from you will be in focus. Everything that is closer or farther away will be out of focus and get farther out of focus as that distance grows. If you want to be able to capture a player who is 50 feet from you in focus, but you want the rest of the players or the bench that is 80 feet from you, you will have to have a thick depth of field. This means you need a higher aperture, which means a slower shutter speed (because the higher aperture setting is letting in less light, so the shutter has to stay open longer to let in enough light to properly expose the frame) and a higher ISO (which will allow the photo to balance with less light). I personally think I get better sports photos when the focal plane is thin, which means my subject is in clear focus and everything else is intentionally blurred.

I know, it's confusing.

The problem with higher ISO settings is that at 800 or above, the photos can get a little grainy. The way to counteract this is to keep the aperture setting low (more light let in) and keep the shutter speed high.

One other thing to consider is the white balance setting. This can make a HUGE difference in the quality of your photos, mostly relating to coloration or tinting of your photos. If you leave the WB setting on auto, prepare for yellowy photos. You need to be able to set it manually for the environment in which you are shooting. If you can set it manually, you should have settings such as daylight, shade, tungsten, fluorescent, or custom. I think if you set your camera to one of the manual modes, you will be able to set the white balance.

Just to give you an example of how I shoot:

In Conseco, the lighting is tungsten. If I set the white balance to auto, the photos are too yellowy and I have to color correct them in post-processing, like in PhotoShop. I immediately set the WB to tungsten and just forget about it.

Then, knowing that the action will be fast, I set the ISO to 1600. This is the highest setting I can go to, and I choose to use that setting to get good stop action with as little light as possible.

I then set the camera to aperture priority. I have a 75-300mm zoom lens. I set the lens to auto-focus. As I zoom in and go from 75mm up to 300mm, the lowest possible aperture setting goes up. At 75mm, the lowest aperture I can have is 4.0. At 300mm, the lowest I can have is 5.6. In aperture priority and auto-focus, the aperture automatically stays as low as it can based on what I have the lens zoomed to. Thus, I don't have to worry about setting the aperture manually because it will always be as low as it can be, letting in the most light possible and allowing the best stop action I can get. Even at the lowest aperture setting (4.0), my depth of field is acceptable.

Since it is in aperture priority mode, once the aperture is set when I focus to make a frame, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed to balance the frame.

It is very rare for me to change any of the settings I just described. I shoot in Av mode (A on your camera), in ISO 1600, WB set to tungsten, and the shutter speed takes care of itself. As I zoom in tighter, the aperture automatically goes up, and that means that the shutter speed automatically goes down to let in enough light. If I shoot from the balcony or the club level, I try not to zoom too much. 75mm is a decent view and it keeps the settings where I want them for good photos.

Since the camera is 8.2 megapixel, even if I capture a frame of half the court, I can crop the frame to the action around the basket in PhotoShop and not lose much resolution. If I had just zoomed in to the action in the lane, my settings would change to compensate and I wouldn't get as good of stop action as I like. Most of the close-ups that I post are due to me cropping a larger captured frame rather than zooming in when I capture.

I hope all that blabbering helps.....I tend to get a little long-winded when I start talking photography....

By all means, keep asking questions. I'm not the absolute best source for information. There are PLENTY of competent photographers around here who also like to talk about how they get good shots. In fact, I would love to hear from some more people who know what's up to make sure I'm not mistaken in any of my statements, and to tell me what they do to solve common shooting problems! Any information is generally helpful...

Also, I got the info for your camera from a great site I've used for years: Steve's Digicams. Here is the link to your camera:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...fuji_s700.html
    Last edited by heywoode; 03-26-2008, 09:08 PM.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Comment

My 2 cents worth from the pre-digital days...I shot for Army newspapers.

Set a shutter speed of at least 6o...1/60th of a second...to avoid blurring from camera movement. If you go to 30, you better be braced against movement. Elbows to your ribcage.

Set an ISO of 400, or 200 if you have plenty of light.

With those settings in place, go with as high an aperture setting, f stop, as will give you the green light to shoot. Your camera should have some sort of indicator that the settings are good for the available light.

An 800 or 1600 (yikes!) ISO setting will give you amazing low-light capabilty, but if graininess is your concern, you want more light, a lower ISO, lower shutter speed, or lower aperture, or some combination of those.

Tell me if that's wrong in this digital age, woode.
      Last edited by kester99; 03-26-2008, 09:29 PM.

[~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Comment

Well, from my experience, Conseco's lighting conditions would destroy an ISO setting lower than 800. The only time I shoot below 800 is in direct sunlight outdoors. The lowest ISO I have ever shot with in Conseco is 800 and I got blurry shots when shooting game action or Pacemate routine action. If your subject were not moving at all, I could see going with lower ISO, even in Conseco. That just never happens with basketball action.

With the lens I shoot with, the lowest aperture setting I'm getting is 4.0, so that allows for plenty of depth of field. I don't see much problem in my photos of getting decent focus on my subject and anything within 10-20 feet of there.

Also, given the speed at which good action transpires, trying to change settings midgame is difficult at best. I used to try and experiment, but I got it down pretty good (at least I think so...do my photos represent that I do a decent job, or do you see quite a bit of room for improvement? Not being a dick, I'm actually asking!) so I stick with what seems to work for me. Without looking at the EXIF data that is embedded in the photos I take, I don't even pay attention to what the shutter speed is set at, because I don't ever set it manually!

If I see a play developing, like Chris Paul driving the lane, I push the fire button down halfway to lock the focus and then just rapid fire frames from there. I don't pay attention to actual numerical values as far as zoom goes, because I know that whatever the zoom is, my aperture will be as low as possible (letting in as much light as possible for the zoom, and also allowing the camera to set the correct shutter speed automatically) and I have the ISO set really high, so I seem to get good results.

I really feel that the way I have the camera set up is as close to automatic as I can get, allowing me to just concentrate on the game action and pick the sequences I want to capture. I zoom to a little larger than I need to capture, because that allows me to still get the shot I want if the action moves out of the center of my frame. As long as I get what I want in the frame, I can crop later to make it more presentable and interesting.

Again, the aperture is set as low as it can go automatically depending on how I've zoomed the lens. The lowest I can get lets in as much light as possible. The shutter speed is automatically set to balance the frame. The ISO is set high to allow for lower light conditions and better stop action for the speed of the play. The white balance keeps the colors as accurate as possible. Seems to work well for me. I use these same settings when shooting my kids playing, although sometimes I try to add more light to the environment and move the ISO down to 400 or 800.

I can honestly say that I've never shot a single frame with a conventional camera that was anything more than a point and shoot, so I wouldn't really know how to compare settings with digital as opposed to conventional film.

Comment

Nah, heywoode. Your photos are great. That's why I asked about the grainyness. My camera was marketed as "the budget camera on steriods", so I have all the ISO, shutter speed and aperature settings that an SLR camera comes with.

I really appreciate both of your inputs on this matter. Expect photos from Friday's game, and wish me luck on getting the settings right. I'm going to print both of those replies out and stick them in my pocket so I don't forget the numbers...

You guys are awesome.

Kudos

Comment

Glad to help, bro....

btw, I will be at Friday's game also. I got four tickets to that game before I got the tix for Tuesday's game...The friend who gave them to me stopped by to give me the tix for Friday and had the unexpected bonus of tix for Tuesday's game also. It was short notice (since the game he was giving me bonus tix for was a mere 6 hours from tipping off!) but he knew I am the go-to guy for using tickets...

I will be with a couple of co-workers and one of my bosses, and we will be sitting in Section 113, Row 1, Seats 1-4. Those seats are just outside the Legends area, in the corner, on the side opposite the scorer's table. If I have myself oriented correctly with the outside world, I believe it is the SW corner of Conseco.

Feel free to come over and say hello if you have access to the Club level...If you are in the lower bowl, come to the section below me and yell at me until I look down!

Since you have a couple of days before the game, I would play around with some of the settings I'm talking about just shooting stuff in your environment. If you have kids, have them do something interesting and set your camera up like I or kester suggests, and see what you can get. Probably would be good to at least get used to changing settings and then changing them back to what you are comfortable with now, just so you aren't panicked or rushed trying to do it during the game.

Also, I used to find it very fun to get to the Fieldhouse right when the doors open so I could go right down to the court and get some shots of the players during shootaround. That is definitely the best time to try and get autographs also. I always carry a sharpie at games, and if I happen to get lucky enough to run into someone, I can have them sign my ticket, even if they don't have anything to write with.

Regardless of where your tickets are for the game, you can walk right down to the court. You can stay down there until about 30 minutes before tipoff. That is a great time to work on your camera settings and capture some frames....

Comment

Originally posted by heywoode View Post
              Glad to help, bro....
              ...Also, I used to find it very fun to get to the Fieldhouse right when the doors open so I could go right down to the court and get some shots of the players during shootaround. That is definitely the best time to try and get autographs also. I always carry a sharpie at games, and if I happen to get lucky enough to run into someone, I can have them sign my ticket, even if they don't have anything to write with.

Regardless of where your tickets are for the game, you can walk right down to the court. You can stay down there until about 30 minutes before tipoff. That is a great time to work on your camera settings and capture some frames....
              You make it sound like I never go there. LOL. How do you think I get all my autographs??? I have season tickets, and they are in the balcony level. I do plan on getting there early enough to hang around the court (as always) so you are invited to hang around down there with us if you like.

Also, if you aren't doing anything after the game, if you are a STH, you can come with us to the Mike Dunleavy and Marquis Daniels Q&A session as well.

Comment

Everything on the wall except the Reggie and MSA stuff is autographed. And this isn't all of it...

Last edited by duke dynamite; 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Ha! I didn't know who I was dealing with!

Sorry to have not known, and I love the room! I need to get me some Pacers curtains...Oh wait, my computer room (the only room in the house that I control the decor of) doesn't have any windows!

Awesome!

I will probably be there a little bit early, but I will be with coworkers and one of my bosses, so I won't have much time to socialize outside of my group. I'm not a STH, so I will have to respectfully decline the offer for the Q&A session. Hope you have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by heywoode View Post
                    Ha! I didn't know who I was dealing with!

Sorry to have not known, and I love the room! I need to get me some Pacers curtains...Oh wait, my computer room (the only room in the house that I control the decor of) doesn't have any windows!
                    Yeah, #1 Fan in Southern Indiana. Well, there could be more opportunities to meet up.

Anyway, my girlfriend's mom and I made those curtains, and I made the ECC throw pillow.

Comment

I just got a new lens for my Nikon D40 DSLR on Monday.

I got the Nikkor 55-200mm with the Vibration Reduction. I have only taken a couple pictures with it so far, but I absolutely love it. It compensates so much for movement. I was sitting in the swing in the backyard of my house playing with all the settings and took a picture while swinging of my son running across the yard, and it came out perfect. No blur whatsoever.

I am an ametuer, just learning. I just got my camera last September, so I am still learning a lot. Heywoode I appreciate the above commentary very much . It helps me learn a lot about the use of my camera.

Comment

Excellent, Gyron!

That sounds like a fantastic piece of equipment to shoot with. You should be very satisfied with the shots you get at games, or other shots of your kids in action. It looks like that lens has the same aperture range that my Canon 75-300mm lens has, f/4-f/5.6. Obviously the aperture can be stopped down to well over 5.6, but those are the smallest aperture settings at each end of the lens' focal range. It looks like a very nice lens! Very compact...That is great. I look forward to seeing some shots you make with it!

I (or someone) had started a "post your cool photos" thread in either the shout box or the sports & entertainment forum quite a while ago...It would be cool to dig that back up, or at least start a new one if someone has cool photos that they want to share.

I will go on record as saying I would love to see anyone's photos that they are proud of, at any time. If you make some cool photos, post 'em so we can all enjoy!

Also, anyone feel free to continue this discussion or ask questions...I love talking photography!

Comment

Always!

Comment

I will work on that. I need to download my pictures anyways. I have a couple hundred on my camera right now I need to dump.

Comment

I hope you organize your photos as you transfer them each time. I have a friend who takes photos and batch names them different names each time, sometimes forgets to delete them off the card and then takes more photos and then copies all the photos off the card again, double copying ones he has already removed....

Then he moves them to folders that he just names whatever his mood is that day without thought to any kind of orderly naming convention....

It is hilarious to watch him try to find photos of something.

The person I'm talking about is Chris Kramer's dad, so he has an a$$load of photos from Purdue games dating back to 2006...

He gave them all to me and I couldn't take it. I created a folder for each year and then created folders inside those that were named that day's date and the name of Purdue's opponent. I even add the opponents ranking, if they were ranked when Purdue played them...cleaned all that stuff up...deleted all the duplicates too.

I did all that in MY folder, not his...So then I showed him how much easier it is to find stuff and how much better it looks, and how much easier it is to not double copy, and how much space it saves when I deleted the two, sometimes THREE instances of photos he had on his PC. Of course, he can't remember how to do it, so now is wanting me to organize his folder for him...I'm just gonna delete his disorganized crap and re-copy my organized one back to his PC.

My point in all that rambling is that if you organize from the beginning, it is great. Photos are easy to find, and the structure looks great after you accumulate three or four years worth of data. At first I thought I was just anal-retentive. Then I talked to my photog mentor, the pro who travels with Purdue football and basketball, and shoots freelance for SI (he just shot his first COVER for the NCAA preview issue...the shot of that kid from Xavier is his! www.andrewhancock.com) and he organizes pretty similarly to what I do. It must be the thing to do!

Also, I use a program called ACDSee to view and organize photos. I do everything with that program except for cropping and color correcting. For that I use PhotoShop CS3.

When I shoot a Pacer game, for instance....I create subfolders in the game folder. I sort out the Pacemate shots into a PM folder. I usually scan the crowd for hotties and freak show candidates...for that I have an 'other' folder. Then I create a folder called POST. I also create a POST folder inside the Pacemates folder. Once I have them in the right place, I go through the game photos looking for the best ones, the ones I'm going to post here at PD. I copy them into the POST folder, and do the same in the Pacemates folder. Once I have the collection of photos for posting, I open PhotoShop and edit the copies that are in the POST folders, leaving the originals intact. Once I have them all edited, I create a folder inside the POST folders and name that 'resized'. I then use ACDSee to batch resize the photos to 60 percent of the original image size, and compress them to 40 percent of the filesize. This turns the original photos that are 4-6mb each into 300-400kb each.

After I have the copied, edited, resized photos done, I upload them to my photobucket account (organized in folders with the same naming convention of my archive!) and then they are ready for posting here at PD, or I just send the link to the photobucket folder to friends who don't frequent PD. At photobucket, they can view them one at a time by clicking on thumbnails or they can watch a slideshow.

When I started doing this, it was a bit tedious to establish the workflow. Now that I have it down, it is actually pretty efficient. I feel like it is the best way I could do it.
                              Last edited by heywoode; 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X