Thread: European Pacer Fans: What do you think of Brexit?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default European Pacer Fans: What do you think of Brexit?

I'm not even close to an expert on it but the general consensus I keep reading is that it is going to devastate the British economy, the young people in general HATE it and the old people seem to have voted it into being. There's also speculation that the entire EU could, conveivably, collapse but I don't know how much validity I put in that. Any thoughts?

bring your green hat Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: European Pacer Fans: What do you think of Brexit?

no idea, I'm from Crawfordsville. I know what it is but I'm an idiot and have no clue about the long term ramifications of it.

what I wanna know is why all the fruit flavored candy doesn't taste like the actual fruit. banana, watermelon, cherry, all the great fruits. none of that candy, or juice, or "flavored water,", that does not taste like said fruits. we gotta fix this education gap in food sciences. make fruit flavors great again. I also ran over a cat today, I think, he came from the left and didn't come out the right. so those folks on Walnut Street, hey, keep a better eye one your cat.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I am not European but I work for a company that has a lot of overseas business partners - and they uniformly see it as a nightmare. In the end, the UK may just negotiate an association agreement with Europe that will keep things largely the same, but in the meantime there is a lot of uncertainty, and business hates uncertainty.

My advice, if you have always wanted to see London go now, generally the exchange rate is brutal but now it is as low as it has ever been in three decades.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-24-2016 at 03:35 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not European but I work for a company that has a lot of overseas business partners - and they uniformly see it as a nightmare. In the end, the UK may just negotiate an association agreement with Europe that will keep things largely the same, but in the meantime there is a lot of uncertainty, and business hates uncertainty.

My advice, if you have always wanted to see London go now, generally the exchange rate is brutal but now it is as low as it has ever been in three decades.
    I was in London last year, and am currently in Europe. I was probably going to have to fly out of Heathrow anyway, so I might extend my trip a few days to explore the stuff I missed the first time around in England.

I'd like to hear what our Irish brethren would say, especially with how Scotland and Northern Ireland voted.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I'd like to hear what our Irish brethren would say, especially with how Scotland and Northern Ireland voted.
    Only seeing this now. It's an absolute disaster.

For those of you who don't know, there is a border that goes through Ireland that splits six of the Ulster counties (called Northern Ireland, which is in the UK) and the remaining 26 are called the republic of Ireland. It will likely lead to border checks again and likely increase sectarian tension in the region which IMO is just what the Unionist (Pro UK) parties want.

As for the UK, it is an archaic concept that only now people of Scotland and Northern Ireland are realising this. Scotland narrowly lost their referendum for independence only due to massive scaremongering from London. If it is held now, they will win their independence no problem.
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post

Don't bother. I visited London last week and it's turned into a complete dive. Too expensive to get around, too big, **** pubs, **** restaurants. Avoid. Go somewhere else in Europe, preferably to smaller cities where you won't get ripped off.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Don't bother. I visited London last week and it's turned into a complete dive. Too expensive to get around, too big, **** pubs, **** restaurants. Avoid. Go somewhere else in Europe, preferably to smaller cities where you won't get ripped off.
    So what you are saying is it hasn't changed at all. Gotcha. London always felt similar to NYC to me (I have never lived in NYC, but from when I was visiting friends it had a vibe to it I found familiar).

Generally my feeling was London would be amazing if you were rich, and sucked cause I wasn't.
    Danger Zone

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I hope that it makes the EU leadership realize that they're not on the right path. I don't think that the UK will be the last country to leave. I know for a fact that if a referendum about EU membership was to happen in Greece right now there's a good chance that we would vote to leave as well. The EU has to change. It has to become more democratic, more inclusive and it has to do something about the economic inequality that's running rampant in the Union. It cannot keep legislating in favor of big businesses while not giving a rat's *** about its citizens. The vision of a United Europe was based on solidarity between the people and that's not what the current EU is doing.

In another note, if that leads to Scottish independence and Irish re-unification then that's good. The right of nations to self-determination is a cardinal principle of modern international law.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Empty vessels make the most noise.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I voted to stay in Europe. A large majority of people who voted out of Europe have done so purely on one or two "facts" that were raised by that campaign and didn't read up or educate themselves on other matters. A number of people who voted out are now regretting it and rightfully so.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I hope that it makes the EU leadership realize that they're not on the right path. I don't think that the UK will be the last country to leave. I know for a fact that if a referendum about EU membership was to happen in Greece right now there's a good chance that we would vote to leave as well. The EU has to change. It has to become more democratic, more inclusive and it has to do something about the economic inequality that's running rampant in the Union. It cannot keep legislating in favor of big businesses while not giving a rat's *** about its citizens. The vision of a United Europe was based on solidarity between the people and that's not what the current EU is doing.

In another note, if that leads to Scottish independence and Irish re-unification then that's good. The right of nations to self-determination is a cardinal principle of modern international law.
    I agree Nuntius. The EU is a flawed entity but the alternative for the UK is much worse.

Sports Logo

I agree Nuntius. The EU is a flawed entity but the alternative for the UK is much worse.
    If the alternative is people like Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson then yes it's worse. But I don't believe that this is the only alternative.

Panopticon

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I think that's a good solid case for making reforms in the EU. Sadly, it doesn't seem like these were the issues in the minds of most of the people who voted for Brexit.

Btw, Farage's address to the European Parliament was something else.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I think that's a good solid case for making reforms in the EU. Sadly, it doesn't seem like these were the issues in the minds of most of the people who voted for Brexit.
    I don't live in the UK so I do not know exactly what was said there during the campaign. But yes, from what I've heard a lot of the stuff that they were told was BS.

Still, I cannot castigate the people who voted to leave since I'd probably also vote to leave if Greece held a similar referendum. Our reasons would be entirely different (and the reasons why you vote what you vote certainly are important) but it would be hypocritical of me to castigate them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Btw, Farage's address to the European Parliament was something else.
    It's not the first time he has been extremely inflammatory, to be honest.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 06-29-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Panopticon

Farage is a total opportunist bellend. The Leave campaign never engaged in any sort of debate on what their strategy was for leaving the EU. Just harped on about "immugrints" and made up figures about how much money they'd save outside of the EU. Bureaucrats like Johnson have just used the working classes to seize power for themselves.

Johnson gave his victory speech to the press the morning of the result outside his f#ckoff mansion. Give me a break.

Sports Logo

Farage is a total opportunist bellend. The Leave campaign never engaged in any sort of debate on what their strategy was for leaving the EU. Just harped on about "immugrints" and made up figures about how much money they'd save outside of the EU. Bureaucrats like Johnson have just used the working classes to seize power for themselves.

Johnson gave his victory speech to the press the morning of the result outside his f#ckoff mansion. Give me a break.
    I'm really disappointed that it was people like them that ended up being the face of the Leave campaign. I refuse to believe that everyone who voted to Leave listened to those two tools and wanted to leave due to the BS that those two spewed up. I want to believe that some more serious voices who talked about real issues (like social inequality, austerity and worker's rights) existed within the Leave camp but they just didn't get any publicity.

Panopticon

I'm really disappointed that it was people like them that ended up being the face of the Leave campaign. I refuse to believe that everyone who voted to Leave listened to those two tools and wanted to leave due to the BS that those two spewed up. I want to believe that some more serious voices who talked about real issues (like social inequality, austerity and worker's rights) existed within the Leave camp but they just didn't get any publicity.
    Issues like worker's rights have never been and never will be at the forefront of the Conservative party's policies regardless of EU membership or not.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Issues like worker's rights have never been and never will be at the forefront of the Conservative party's policies regardless of EU membership or not.
    Obviously. I wasn't talking about the Conservative party here. In fact, I was talking about the opposite

Panopticon

So now Boris Johnson will not contest the leadership of the Conservatives. What a spineless twat. Leads the ludicrous campaign to leave the EU. Wins. Then let's someone else clean up the mess.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

It's kind of insane what's happening right now. The Brexit referendum exposed deep divisions between different demographics and different regions. Now all their leaders are going down one by one. It's like Game of Thrones without the bloodshed (well, mostly - a MP was murdered just before the referendum - that was pretty shocking too).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-gdnukpolitics

A long but an excellent and comprehensive read on the state of the UK at the moment.

These two paragraphs sum it up for me:

On this point, those who voted remain should, at the very least, concede that had we voted to stay in, the country would not be having this conversation. If remain had won, we would already have returned to pretending that everything was carrying on just fine. Those people who have been forgotten would have stayed forgotten; those communities that have been abandoned would have stayed invisible to all but those who live in them. To insist that they will now suffer most ignores the fact that unless something had changed, they were going to suffer anyway. Those on the remain side who felt they didn’t recognise their own country when they woke up on Friday morning must spare a thought for the pensioner in Redcar or Wolverhampton who has been waking up every morning for the last 30 years, watching factories close and businesses move while the council cuts back services and foreigners arrive, wondering where their world has gone to.

Many of those who voted leave will undoubtedly feel that they have had their say after years of being ignored. But they are beginning to discover that they have been lied to. Even when it feels that there is nothing left to lose, it turns out that things can always get worse. And even when it feels like nobody tells you the truth, it turns out that some factions of the elite can and will do more damage to your life than others.
    Last edited by IrishPacer; 06-30-2016 at 09:37 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Dutch Pacers Fan

I can't really speak on behalf of the UK, but as a fellow European, there are certain things that worry me. The Brexit might have a carry-over effect, which will result in the EU losing more and more power. Not just economically, but also politically. It is a doomsday scenario but diminishing the power of Europe as a whole gives Russia an enormous advantage. They are already at our gate, so to speak. The Baltic states fear that Russia can invade them at any point in time, with nobody around to protect them. The Russians can take control of those countries within 48 hrs if they choose to, they cannot defend themselves. With the whole of Europe more worried about their own, rather than that of the entire group, this is an open invitation for trouble. The political instability will grow and it will become even harder for Europe to respond when Russia decides to do whatever they want. (Not that they are being stopped right now, but it makes it even less likely.) Differences will grow and even though there are things that the EU has to improve, this is a slippery slope that we don't want to go down.

And just to gain some more info, Nuntius, why would you want grexit? All the media has done here, is inform us about how good it was from the rest of Europe, to lend Greece even more money. Most people feel as if the European nations are throwing there money away, since Greece will never pay them back. This despite the fact that Greece is unwilling to change their tax-lawes, in order for the entire country to start taking care of itself. For instance the fishing-industry, it is supposed to have billions but they are unwilling to use that in their own country, so they don't have to pay taxes for sitting on money, generation after generation. I feel like this cannot actually be what is happening, so can you elaborate some more about the situation from a perspective the media don't show us?
    BLUE AND GOLD!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacersgroningen View Post
    And just to gain some more info, Nuntius, why would you want grexit? All the media has done here, is inform us about how good it was from the rest of Europe, to lend Greece even more money. Most people feel as if the European nations are throwing there money away, since Greece will never pay them back. This despite the fact that Greece is unwilling to change their tax-lawes, in order for the entire country to start taking care of itself. For instance the fishing-industry, it is supposed to have billions but they are unwilling to use that in their own country, so they don't have to pay taxes for sitting on money, generation after generation. I feel like this cannot actually be what is happening, so can you elaborate some more about the situation from a perspective the media don't show us?
    I don't so much want Grexit as much as I would prefer it if Greece had never joined the EU in the first place. What your media doesn't show you is that the money that are supposedly thrown to Greece never actually reach the Greek economy. These money were used to bail-out the banks and then went to allready existing creditors. And I'm not only talking about the Greek banks, by the way. I'm talking about the French banks, the German banks, the British banks and any other bank that's active in Greece's market and holds shares.

Here's a very interesting paper by ESMT on the subject -> http://static.esmt.org/publications/...s/WP-16-02.pdf

Here's the conclusion that the two authors of the paper reach:

This paper provides a descriptive analysis of where the Greek bailout money went since 2010 and finds that, contrary to widely held beliefs, less than 10 billion or a fraction of less than 5% of the overall programme went to the Greek fiscal budget. In contrast, the vast majority of the money went to existing creditors in the form of debt repayments and interest payments. The resulting risk transfer from the private to the public sector and the subsequent risk transfer within the public sector from international organizations such as the ECB and the IMF to European rescue mechanisms such as the ESM still constitute the most important challenge for the goal to achieve a sustainable fiscal situation in Greece.
    The EU is currently supporting a policy of austerity and that's catastrophic for Greece because it's killing our already lackluster production. Basically, as it stands right now Greece will be in an eternal cycle of endless debt with no hope of ever overcoming it. If we left the EU (or even better were never there in the first place) we could devalue our currency, default on our debts, be really poor for a good 10-20 years but then have the hope of getting back on our feet. There's no hope of getting back on our feet in the current situation. Personally, I'd prefer to be dirty poor with the hope of normalizing in the future than be simply poor, having debt and never having the hope of normalizing.

Also, people have to remember that the EU (as currently structured) heavily favors heavy industry at the expense of agriculture and fishing. TACs (total allowable catches) in fishing and production quotas in agriculture are catastrophic for a country that relies on its primary sector. It's one of the reasons why Norway never entered the EU and one of the reasons why we should have never done it as well (unfortunately, our politicians weren't as smart as Norway's).

Panopticon

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Another reason why Norway never joined the EU is because it sits on an ENORMOUS amount of oil and gas which makes staying independent quite a lot easier and more comfortable. The importance of that to the Norwegian economy is really huge (http://www.norges-bank.no/en/Publish...lsen-New-York/).

In comparison, without wanting to downgrade or belittle, but what, honestly, does Greece have besides a well-developed tourist sector (with tourists from mainly EU countries and I suspect Russia?), a big government sector (or atleast when the crisis started), a large agricultural and fishing sector compared to Norway? It certainly doesn't have a huge amount of natural resources it sits on, like Norway.

I also feel like the Greek government has been very swift in blaming its creditors, the EU-troika and the EU in general and basically everyone else and to a certain degree that's where a part of the blame should be. I remember a lot of opposition in my country when the Euro coin was instituted and Greece was allowed in because it was very, very evident that Greece was executing accounting tricks as to meet the conditions for joining the Euro, even temporary fullfilling the conditions so that to put it crudely the country would meet the standard on january 1st, but not meet them on february 1st. It was IF I remember correctly mainly Germany, France and Italy who politically pushed to let Greece in anyhow. It would have been far, far better if it had not been allowed into the Eurozone itself.

However, where is the responsibility of the Greek politicians of the past decades, the Greek government and the Greek people who voted their (sorry, incompetent) politicians in power for decades and who installed laws and benefits which in the end the country couldn't even get close to pay for (example: the age for retiring at the start of the crisis was quite low compared to the wealthier more service and industry oriented Western European EU nations)? Why was evading tax allowed on such massive scale and basically institutional? How is it possible that Greece since its independence in 1827 has gone banckrupt more then ANY other country in the world???

Lots of sides, lots of blame to go around. I think a lot of people wouldn't mind Greece leaving the EU. For me, the Geo-political aspect is of main importance here. The ties between Greece and Russia have always been quite close, which given the role in Greece independence aswell as the common religion is understandable. I'm not eager for a Russian military naval base in the Mediterranean granted by a wildly swinging revangist Greece government just to annoy the rest of Europe and NATO. I think Greece is playing a tight rope though and the talk of starting a lawsuitcase against Germany for World War II reparations and steps like that are not helping the Greeks IMHO.

I do feel for the average Joe and below in Greece though. Those are the people who have had it BAD the past years, there's no way around that. I think some of the debt should be acquitted, while conditions for a vast other part should be made better for Greece. However, just acquitting all of it or a huge majority of debt? I'm not in favor of that. It's a tough issue.

On the BREXIT. I think it's a shortsighted move, but it all remains to be seen what aggreements will be made between the EU and the UK. There's some countries, like France, which want really strict and limited trade benefits with the UK, while there's others like my country that would like extended benefits to limit economic loss. I think the UK might win some jobs, but rest assured it will also lose a lot of them, especially if the tariff and trade walls are back and trade benefits for the UK with the EU are limited. There's a lot of European HQ's in the UK for example, aswell as industries from say Asia who produce goods in the UK and from there export them to the EU.

On the EU in general. I think it gets a lot of unfair critique from national political parties looking for an easy target to assign blame to. Sometimes the critique is fair and right, but there's a lot of BS beying hurled aswell. I think the EU should repair part of the Shengen treaty and has allready done so in limited ways. It's unfair that Dutch truck drivers have to meet all kinds of legal standards and conditions and have diploma's for all kinds of things, while Romanian truck drivers .... basically don't, but work here nonetheless for a fraction of the salary on the same roads, etc. That's unfair competition and something should be done about that for example, because currently it's especially the people with lower income and middle income jobs who feel this (often unfair competition) and losing their jobs over it, whille the highly educated people simply... don't have a comparable sort of competition, which might atleast partially explain why the divide between pro- and contra EU is often, but not exclusively, across education and income lines. It's easy to be in favour when you aren't feeling the downside to something, isn't it?

Either way, I'm quite pro-EU, but reforms on areas are needed. A much more unified asylum policy for example is another area in which a lot can be gained. Also the influence of big business lobbying should be monitored much more closely and be limited, while the voice of the general EU-citizen should be heard more clearly instead of what seems only the voice of the big business companies. The EU is going through a rough fase, but I'm fairly confident it will survive and IF for some strange reason it doesn't... then I have no doubt a Western European successor will be created quickly.
    Last edited by Mourning; 08-23-2016 at 06:09 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws