Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Webber to call his final timeout

Default Chris Webber to call his final timeout

Default Re: Chris Webber to call his final timeout

I'll always remember Webber for being on those Kings teams. Man those were damn good teams for never winning it all. Damn good.

I know people take a lot of pleasure in trashing Webber, especially over the last couple years as he's grown increasingly hobbled, but I wish everyone would remember just how great a player he was. I'll remember him as:

-The best passing big man of my lifetime, along with Sabonis.

-A good teammate and by all accounts a very nice and sincere person

-An average rap producer, although he made a couple okay beats

-A fun player to watch

Maybe he wasn't a genuine superstar, but he was the best player on the best team to not win a championship in the last decade (along with the '05 Pacers). Wish we had more players like him in the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Webber was a 20/10/5 guy. if that isnt a superstar, I don't know what is.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Webber was one helluva basketball talent.

Injuries really short changed his career. Ironically, the top 4 of that particular draft (Webber, Bradley, Hardaway, Mashburn) were really a MASH unit with bad knees.

Well, Bradley was probably the least injured, but he did retire a couple years ago due to a bad knee.

I remember his 51 points against Indiana, dude was a beast.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...101050SAC.html

Who can forget Jalen Rose's block of Stojakovic's potential game winning 3? What a game.
    Last edited by tora tora; 03-25-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Thread title was humorous and appropriate. Good show, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember his 51 points against Indiana, dude was a beast.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...101050SAC.html

Who can forget Jalen Rose's block of Stojakovic's potential game winning 3? What a game.
    Webber dropped 51 points, 26 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks???

47 FGA? Guy must have thought he was Iverson...before Iverson was Iverson.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    47 FGA? Guy must have thought he was Iverson...before Iverson was Iverson.
    I'd venture to say that Webber in his prime was just as good of a scorer as Iverson. When Webber lost his athleticism because of injuries, he was never the same. He still put up solid numbers and could contribute, but was never the dominant force he once was. Anyone think he'll make it into the HOF? I think he has a shot, and rightfully so.

He's a lot like Mitch Richmond...the individual stats to make it to the HoF, but the lack of team success to be considered one of the best to ever play his position.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Anyone think he'll make it into the HOF? I think he has a shot, and rightfully so.
    The Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield has all sorts of inductees in it who's accomplishments and careers the average NBA fan wouldn't even care about.

It has people who played internationally who you've never heard of and who's accomplishments you wouldn't care about. It's got women's college coaches in it. Does the average NBA fan care about how many hundreds of wins someone had coaching a women's team?

How do you weight careers like that vs. a career like Chris Webber's? Really, the Basketball Hall of Fame for an NBA player isn't that huge of a deal. Not the same as an MLB or NFL player and their respective Halls of Fame.

I think debating whether a certain NBA player deserves to get into this sort of "Hall of Fame" is pretty meaningless.

In my personal opinion, Webber's accomplishments as a player and the talent he displayed trample all over many of those in the BBall Hall of Fame. And I don't mean Oscar Robertson. I could name dozens of people in the Hall who's career accomplishments nobody would even bother to care about. Most of them are non-NBA folks.
    Last edited by d_c; 03-26-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Speaking of accomplishments. Didn't he date Tyra Banks too? Thats pretty impressive.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

I disliked him for most of his career until I came to appreciate his skills in the Sacramento high post offense.

In my mind he is a Hall of Famer, though he needs to get in the back of the line and wait for overlooked players like Artis Gilmore to get in first.

A-train:

11 time ABA/NBA all-star
    22.7 rebounds per game average in college
    24,941 total points ABA/NBA
    16330 total rebounds ABA/NBA

pic from him in a final 4 game:

I doubt he makes the HOF. His career numbers are good but not overwhelming and his teams didn't do that much - conf finals tops.

There are a bunch of players more deserving who aren't in - Dantley and Gilmore are the top 2 that come to mind.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

....not overwhelming? What the hell?

If 20/10/5 isn't overwhelming, what the **** is?

Bird, Baylor, Garnett, Webber.

There's your list of 20/10/5 forwards. Ever.

Might as well, He ain't getting no play in Golden State
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    In my mind he is a Hall of Famer, though he needs to get in the back of the line and wait for overlooked players like Artis Gilmore to get in first.
    The fact that a guy like Artis Gilmore isn't in the Basketball HOF just tells you how much credibility that organization has and that nobody should really take it too seriously.

The NBA/old ABA needs to have their own Hall of Fame, really.

The HOF we talk about in Springfield lets in men/women from all over the world. A lot of these people you've never heard of. Some of them are womens players who played in college and a couple of times in the Olympics. They're in but a guy like Artis Gilmore isn't. What a joke.

Ironically, college basketball and FIBA have their own Halls of Fame. And there is also a seperate women's BBall Hall of Fame. The NBA is the only prominent organization w/o their own HOF.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    He's a lot like Mitch Richmond...the individual stats to make it to the HoF, but the lack of team success to be considered one of the best to ever play his position.
    I have a feeling Webber wont get in to the HOF partly cause of his tenure involving the Fab 5 who apparantly never existed. Webber did much better than Mitch Richmond team wise, getting to the WCF in a series they should have won.

People arent emphasising the 5 assists per game part. As you said there's 4 forwards who have ever done that.

The basketball hall of fame is so anti-nba, its sad. We're gonna see people like Dick Vitale going to the hall over all-time great players because he managed to get a few catch-phrases.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post

The basketball hall of fame is so anti-nba, its sad. We're gonna see people like Dick Vitale going to the hall over all-time great players because he managed to get a few catch-phrases.
    The NBA should develop their own HOF. David Stern says he doesn't want to because it would seem exclusive and he doesn't wants it to be about basketball and not just one league, but ......

Why shouldn't they?

The MLB Hall of Fame is pretty much all about Major League Baseball (with the exception of some recognition of Negro league players). The Pro Football HOF is all about the NFL/AFL.

Why can't the NBA have their own HOF? If you stick to this current system, guys like Artis Gilmore and Webber will be trumped in favor of some female player from Bolivia who played in a couple of Olympics that you wouldn't even care to watch.

I don't see how anyone can take the Basketball HOF in Springfield seriously.

Was it ever determined if Webber made more money at Michigan than he did in the pros?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Was it ever determined if Webber made more money at Michigan than he did in the pros?
    Webber made money at Michigan, but not $120M like that contract he signed with the Kings.

Whatever money he made in college, he earned it. Just like Reggie Bush at USC. Those guys made millions upon millions for the NCAA and their respective universities, it's not even funny.

From a moral standpoint, I don't have any problems with guys like Webber and Bush getting the ca$h they got in college. Zero. They earned it. And they sure as hell earned some serious cash for the NCAA.

I can see Weber being skipped over. The Basketball Hall of Fame doesn't do a good job. We should start our own Hall of Fame.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I can see Weber being skipped over. The Basketball Hall of Fame doesn't do a good job. We should start our own Hall of Fame.
    I'll come out and say it.

They have a double standard against tall black guys who played in the NBA, made highlight dunks, liked playing one on one, wore baggy shorts with black shoes, talked trash, had sex with multitudes of women, shunned the NCAA, made ridiculous amounts of money and hung out with big entourages.

OK, I'm exaggerating a bit.

But you can't tell me they judge "spoiled" NBA players who they deem to be everything that's wrong with the game of basketball a lot harsher than some lesbian who played 4 years of college and in the Olympics and then a couple years of women's pro ball making $25K a year. To them, those people are everything that's right about basketball.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Webber made money at Michigan, but not $120M like that contract he signed with the Kings.

Whatever money he made in college, he earned it. Just like Reggie Bush at USC. Those guys made millions upon millions for the NCAA and their respective universities, it's not even funny.

From a moral standpoint, I don't have any problems with guys like Webber and Bush getting the ca$h they got in college. Zero. They earned it. And they sure as hell earned some serious cash for the NCAA.
    They are getting paid. According to the Uof M web site, and i think I'm reading it right, it costs $20,000 a year in state to attend, $40,000 a year for out of staters. That comes to over $100,000 in compensation over 5 years, which is what the scholarships usually run if you live in Michigan, $200,000 if you came form out of state.

http://www.finaid.umich.edu/Financia...asics/cost.asp

USC costs around $44,000 dollars a year according to the web site below.

http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/9392.html

So, no loans to pay back, a structured study environment with tutors and study hall, and most programs have a dietician to make sure you are eating right. Could they use a little spending money? Sure, but what college kid couldn't? I don't buy the arguement that they are not getting compensated.

As for Webber, he was a great player. Had he not gotten traded to G.S. and then matched up with Shaq the next in Orlando who knows what might have happened? He was like most great players, Reggie included, that had to go against teams that were always better.