Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Magic Number Thread (Playoffs Edition)

Default 2008 Magic Number Thread (Playoffs Edition)

Just so we're clear on my position:

Screw the pick. I want the Pacers to play for as long as possible. I'll never root for my team to lose.

The #7 seed is solidly out of reach. It's #8 or bust. The following teams are in the hunt:

Atlanta (30-39) (13 games remaining)
    New Jersey (29-41) (12 games remaining)
    Indiana (29-41) (12 games remaining)
    Chicago (27-42) (13 games remaining)
    Charlotte (25-44) (13 games remaining)
    Milwaukee (24-44) (14 games remaining)

Ok. Now we assume that everybody other than us will win all of the rest of their games. I won't start calculating tiebreakers until the last 5 games. This, then, gives us the following.

Atl - 43-39
    NJ - 41-41
    Chi - 40-42
    Cha - 38-44
    Mil - 38-44

Indy has 29 wins, and (until tiebreakers are worked out) needs one more win than any of these teams. So the magic numbers are, as of March 23:

Atlanta - 15
    New Jersey - 13
    Chicago - 12
    Charlotte - 10
    Milwaukee - 10

Any combination of Pacers wins or [other team] losses moves us forward. This is very achievable.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: 2008 Magic Number Thread (Playoffs Edition)

Yea, it's the Magic Number thread!

I told Grace today that I'm starting to think if we're going to screw things up and not get a good pick, we might as well make the playoffs, since guys like Mike and Troy have never made it. Of course, the counter argument is who wants to be the worst playoff team ever, see Boston kick our *** four straight, including in front of an empty arena here? Well, perhaps that'll serve as a check against Donnie's "we made the playoffs, job done" modus operandi.

[edit] All that said, I still think we'll have a tough time passing Atlanta.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And all it took to get this thread started was a 4-game winning streak.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And all it took to get this thread started was a 4-game winning streak.
    Nope. I was going to do one at 10 or 12 games anyway. It was Naptown's "Tank Edition" that made me do the real one.

Now I have to update it every day for the rest of the season. Work work work.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

you gotta do work son!

[SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

I donno if we make it...but it's going to be a crazy ride down the stretch! then again we could lose the next 3 and this thread might as well die...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

GOOOOO PACCCCERRSSSS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    I donno if we make it...but it's going to be a crazy ride down the stretch! then again we could lose the next 3 and this thread might as well die...
    Not really, cuz everyone else will lose too!!

Atlanta, Chicago, and Charlotte didn't play. NJ won, Milly lost.

Atlanta - 15
    New Jersey - 13
    Chicago - 12
    Charlotte - 10
    Milwaukee - 9

Enjoy your time at PD!

Wow, rough night for us. A win would have been huge. At least Chicago beat Atlanta.

Atlanta - 14
    New Jersey - 13
    Chicago - 12
    Charlotte - 10
    Milwaukee - 9

Enjoy your time at PD!

Pacers win and Hawks lose tonight!!!!!!!!!! I can feel it!
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Pacers win and Hawks lose tonight!!!!!!!!!! I can feel it!
    Not so much. Pacers lost, Atlanta won, NJ won. Milwaukee lost, but that's not a huge deal. Chicago lost, which is nice but doesn't help if we can't get past Atlanta and NJ. Charlotte beat the Lakers, which normally I'd love but doesn't help us any tonight.

Atlanta - 14
    New Jersey - 13
    Chicago - 11
    Charlotte - 10
    Milwaukee - 8

We really needed to sweep the Nets. I'm predicting the 13th pick.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I was looking over the relevant teams' schedules, and if every team takes care of the teams they should beat, these would be the final projected standings:

8) Atlanta: 37-45
    9*) New Jersey: 34-48
    9*) Indiana: 34-48
    11) Chicago: 31-51
    12) Charlotte: 29-33
    13) Milwaukee: 26-56

Atlanta's schedule is cake the rest of the way.

I think we'll finish with 35 wins. Whether that is enough to make the playoffs or not remains to be seen. We'll probably finish with the best record of teams in the lottery. #14 pick FTL.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was looking over the relevant teams' schedules, and if every team takes care of the teams they should beat, these would be the final projected standings:

8) Atlanta: 37-45
    9*) New Jersey: 34-48
    9*) Indiana: 34-48
    11) Chicago: 31-51
    12) Charlotte: 29-33
    13) Milwaukee: 26-56

Atlanta's schedule is cake the rest of the way.

I think we'll finish with 35 wins. Whether that is enough to make the playoffs or not remains to be seen. We'll probably finish with the best record of teams in the lottery. #14 pick FTL.
    Ummm did you forget WC teams when predicting us getting the 14th pick?

Team W L
    GS (8) 43 - 27
    ATL (8) 31 - 40
    Denver 43 - 28
    Portland 38 - 34
    Sac. 32 - 39
    NJ 31- 41
    IND 29 - 43
    CHI 28 - 43

More like the 10th or 11th...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Hey, the #3 seed is still a possibility. Rose would make a lot of things work on this team.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post

I did. I have been.

I knew there were teams in the West that would likely win 50 games and be in the lottery. However, when I was thinking about Atlanta edging us out for the last playoff spot, I always thought of us as being the last team picking in the lottery, which is #14. However, Denver has already won more games than we possibly can, so it's not possible for us to have the 14th pick.

Even us winding up with the 13th pick isn't feasible. We're nine games behind Portland with 12 to play. I think we will probably pick 11th.

14]Denver..........43 28 W
    13]Portland........38 34 W
    12]Sacramento...32 39 W
    11]New Jersey....31 41 E
    10]Indiana..........29 43 E
    09]Chicago.........28 43 E
    08]Charlotte.......26 45 E
    07]Milwaukee......24 46 E
    06]LA Clippers.....21 50 W
    05]New York.......20 51 E
    04]Minnesota......18 52 W
    03]Memphis........18 53 W
    02]Seattle..........17 55 W
    01]Miami............13 59 E

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post

Team W L
    GS (8) 43 - 27
    ATL (8) 31 - 40
    Denver 43 - 28
    Portland 38 - 34
    Sac. 32 - 39
    NJ 31- 41
    IND 29 - 43
    CHI 28 - 43

Actually, I did forget about Denver and Portland. It's just hard to fathom that they may not make the playoffs (especially the Nuggets).

Mood

At the very least, it looks like we get the 12th pick if we miss the playoffs.

yeah this thread might as well die...unless chicago can win tonight in atlanta and we beat NJ...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

yeah this thread might as well die...unless chicago can win tonight in atlanta and we beat NJ...
    Yep. Our playoff hopes could literally end tonight.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Are any sites doing mock drafts yet (based on current standings)?

How do they have the picks going, as far as which team would pick which player?

The 3 sites I check out usually update their mocks about once a week. It'll be more often the closer we get to the draft.

They list the teams according to their records now but seldom do they consider "team need" until after the draft lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    The 3 sites I check out
    Which three are those?

Nap will be happy... NBADraft.net has us taking Love.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Which three are those?

Nap will be happy... NBADraft.net has us taking Love.
    I like Love, but we need a PG first and foremost.

Our playoff hopes ended several months ago, namely, last summer when we didn't sign a competent PG. I'm amazed at the number of sunshiners on this board. Why would we want to be the first casualty on the Celtic's march to the EC finals? And while we're at it, I don't want to miss the lottery again. If you love the Pacers, and I have no doubt everyone on this board does, you have to take a long-term view. That means we have to rebuild this team. Making the playoffs this year is not how you make us better.