Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacers' Tinsley will sit out rest of season

Default Re: Pacers' Tinsley will sit out rest of season

I think Tinsley's gone, not sure how, but I don't see him back with the team.

Not sure what he's worth, but I'm sure some real look at the SJax deal we made with GS, and not mind taking a chance on Jamaal

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a more likely deal is an even longer term contract of a player that's injury prone or somehow otherwise 'damaged goods' and a 2nd rounder is more likely for Tinsley.

-Bball
    like eric snow
    This is the darkest timeline.

The Phoenix game on 1/9 was the beginning of the end for JT.

His bizarre showing in overtime, when he was playing the Suns 1 on 5 was just immature and over-the-top.

He doesn't have respect for authority (clearly), and he is not a team player.

I've personally tried to get behind him a number of times, only to be disappointed every time.

Au revoir... I guaran-sheed that he won't be a part of this team next year.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    He doesn't have respect for authority (clearly), and he is not a team player.
    It's kinda hard to respect the authority when he doesn't put JT's @ss on the bench after the fifth one-one-one bucket, then the sixth . . . then the seventh . . . et al.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I'm with the majority, I'm not surprised JT is done for the season. I also see him headed out the door at the end of the season (how he goes ie trade, buy-out, etc.) is beyond me.
    When I dunk, I put something on it. I want the ball to hit the floor before I do. ~Darryl Dawkins

Sports Logo

Am I the only one that would much rather trade Tinsley for an equally bad contract ( and hopefully a player that can help out ) or even let him sit on the bench until his contract is worth something then buy him out?

Buying him out just removes him from the team but his horrible contract on the salary cap.

One more thing.....I really think that IF we were to make the Playoffs.....I really think that Tinsley's experience...even if it meant that he was splitting time with Flip and Diener....would have really helped the team. I really think that he would have made a difference when we need a veteran PG....especially when Diener's shots aren't falling while he is getting outmuscled in the paint by whatever PG he is defending ( which is every PG in the league that doesn't have the first name of Beno or Jameer ) and Flip is dominating the ball worst then Tinsley ever has while doing some fancy behind the ball dribble that he ends up losing.

Don't get me wrong....I know that Tinsley has his faults and I'm not suggesting that he isn't prone to doing something stupid like he did in Phoenix....but I think that Tinsley...in small doses......helps the team more then he hinders it. While it was easy to recall what he did in the Sun's game.....many easily forget that when Tinsley was focused earlier in the season....he was easily one of the best players that we had on this team.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-23-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Good Job Larry! Indianapolis_girly's Avatar

This isn't a big suprise to me.
    It was just a matter of time before they let everyone know.
    Oh well, hopefully he'll be gone next year.

Some people want it to happen, some
    wish it would happen, & others make it happen.
    ..Michael Jordan.

Pressure is something you feel when
    you don't know what the hell you're
    doing.
    ..Peyton Manning.

If Jamaal is truely injured then I feel a little bad for him because he was put in a position to be injured by being over played min. early in the season.

O'Brien should never EVER have put Tinsley in the position to play in that many min. that early in the season. Even a player who is not injury prone, and I'm sorry guys but I don't even see how that is debatable anymore, would get worn down with that time on the floor.

Look I hate that 1/9 game more than any other human alive, it caused me to go from "O'Brien seems like a decent enough coach" to "I'd almost rather have George Irvin back".

Jamaal Tinsley is not to blame for that dung heap of a game. That was all O'Briens fault. As Satan's fan said he could have pulled him at any point in time.

If he did that to set Jamaal up to fail, then I guess I'm really worried considering you can about pinpoint the time in our season when we went from poor to downright awful.

However taking O'Brien out of the picture I still have to come back to this. This is the 5th or 6the (I don't remember right now) season in a row where we have had to have some issue with our point guard.

It's well past time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    It took how many games for JO'B to realize this?

Good frickin' God.....
    More like it took David Harrison so long to get his head on right and understand his importance in the offense. The way I see it DH probably saw himself as a "throw-in"...someone to just absorb fouls and spare other players for a few minutes. And so, he probably didn't give it his level best. But now that he knows he has JOB's confidence particularly on the heals of his 1-game suspension where he blew a gasket after the Spurs game, maybe he has finally figured out he's more valuable to the team's interior defense than that.

Here's hoping he continues to keep his head on straight the rest of the season and continues to perform as admirably as he has these last few games. I, for one, have been rather impressed with him of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    If Jamaal is truely injured then I feel a little bad for him because he was put in a position to be injured by being over played min. early in the season.

O'Brien should never EVER have put Tinsley in the position to play in that many min. that early in the season. Even a player who is not injury prone, and I'm sorry guys but I don't even see how that is debatable anymore, would get worn down with that time on the floor.

Look I hate that 1/9 game more than any other human alive, it caused me to go from "O'Brien seems like a decent enough coach" to "I'd almost rather have George Irvin back".

Jamaal Tinsley is not to blame for that dung heap of a game. That was all O'Briens fault. As Satan's fan said he could have pulled him at any point in time.

If he did that to set Jamaal up to fail, then I guess I'm really worried considering you can about pinpoint the time in our season when we went from poor to downright awful.

However taking O'Brien out of the picture I still have to come back to this. This is the 5th or 6the (I don't remember right now) season in a row where we have had to have some issue with our point guard.

We've discussed this before and I think you know I disgree with you. To support my position - after the Suns game when JT took all those shots, there were several reports that JT and O'Brien's relationship fell apart. After that game Tinsley stopped shooting, started playing strangely - started looking like the JT of prior years. That tells me that O'Brien got all over him about his play in OT of the Suns game - Tinsley pouted and was even "suspended" for a game.

I know the argument is well O'Brien should have taken JT out of the Suns game once he realized what was going on. First, the only real offensive advantage we had in that game was JT going against Nash - so it makes sense to have JT make the plays in OT (not take every shot) Second, it happened so fast, I don't think there was really time to take JT out. Third, we especially at that time had no backup point guard. Fourth, how often in the NBA do you see coaches benching their starting point guard and best player (at least in that game) in OT. Never happens

Peck, you are entitled to hate O'Brien all you want - hate him for all the 3-point shots, hate him for the defensive system, hate him for his substitution pattern. But I think it is unfair to hate him for one game - especially the Suns game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    We've discussed this before and I think you know I disgree with you. To support my position - after the Suns game when JT took all those shots, there were several reports that JT and O'Brien's relationship fell apart. After that game Tinsley stopped shooting, started playing strangely - started looking like the JT of prior years. That tells me that O'Brien got all over him about his play in OT of the Suns game - Tinsley pouted and was even "suspended" for a game.
    Jamaal started playing strangely DURING that game, not after. I've continued to believe there was more to the story than we got. For all of his faults, Jamaal's never frozen out his teammates like that in the entire time he's been in the league. Called his own number a few times, sure. But nothing like that. It's very difficult to believe that he suddenly went that way with no provocation.

And I'm not saying he's blameless. It was the most atrocious thing I've seen a PG do at the NBA level. But it was totally out of character for him, and the lack of any reaction from his teammates makes me think there's more to the story.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Second, it happened so fast, I don't think there was really time to take JT out.
    Buck, that's crazy. It was like 8 minutes of game time.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Jamaal started playing strangely DURING that game, not after. I've continued to believe there was more to the story than we got. For all of his faults, Jamaal's never frozen out his teammates like that in the entire time he's been in the league. Called his own number a few times, sure. But nothing like that. It's very difficult to believe that he suddenly went that way with no provocation.

And I'm not saying he's blameless. It was the most atrocious thing I've seen a PG do at the NBA level. But it was totally out of character for him, and the lack of any reaction from his teammates makes me think there's more to the story.
    So I am supposed to believe from what you are saying and even more so from what Peck is saying that Jim O'Brien wanted him to take all those shots. First of all no coach ever designs a play for only one person to take the shot - especially a point guard. Sure a point guard is supposed to create a shot for himself or a teammate. it makes zero sense to me that O'Brien wanted JT to take all those shots. (I've had this same exact argument in the past during Carlisle's days as coach - some were arguming that Rick most have wanted JT to take all those shots) Back to OB it makes 100% sense to me that OB was pissed about JT's taking all those shots and that is why OB was upset at Jamaal after that game

Buck, that's crazy. It was like 8 minutes of game time.
    So you want our coach to take out our best player on the court. How many times have you ever seen an NBA coach take out the teams best player who was having a good game up to that point

Watching that game and the several prior, everyone else appeared "afraid" to shoot when the game got tight. I think Tinsley's always had a problem trusting his teammates in close situations, but up until recently we haven't had anyone act like they wanted to win a game. I'm not justifying Tinsley's awful play that night, but I kind of understand.

And yes, O'Brien had an entire OT to take Jamaal out. That was completely his fault (maybe he was trying to prove a point, which failed badly).

So you want our coach to take out our best player on the court. How many times have you ever seen an NBA coach take out the teams best player who was having a good game up to that point
    I'm just saying that "There was no time" is crazy talk.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Peck, as much as I respect your opinions... you seriously can't be blaming O'Brien entirely for what happened that night? While I think you have a good point (as O'Brien should have pulled him sooner), this "performance" happened against a good club that we could have beat that night, and so I'm guessing that O'Brien wanted to go with his ace. Don't you remember how much respect OB had for Tinsley early in the year?

Here's the box score:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2008010921

...and here's the play by play:

http://www.nba.com/games/20080109/IN...laybyplay.html

Tinsley took *all* shots for the last 8 min of the game, including every single shot in overtime.

You can't seriously think that O'Briens game plan was a 1 on 5 grudge match?

This was a temper tantrum... it's so obvious! It will always define for me the end of Tinsley in Indianapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    like eric snow
    That would be a coup for us.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Avery Johnson has enough balls to take out Jason Kidd right after he got there, and considering what all they gave up/went through just to get him, for the last few seconds of a game, then JOB certainly should be able to sit Tinsley's *** down.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    How does a dude sit out nearly three months with a "sore knee"? There's either something wrong with it or there isn't. This whole thing is weird.
    They can't say anything about the injury unless Tinsley tells them they can release info. Tinsley controls what amount can be released, if any.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

UB, I agree with you that, taken on the whole, JOB seems to have confronted Tinsley after the game which led to Tinsley pouting and getting reinjured, etc.

So JOB gets a couple of points for that. But I also believe a point gets subtracted for not doing it in the game. Sure, you want your best player out there to win. But impudence and defiance needs to be confronted immediately, no matter who it is or how good they are.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"the rest of the season" implies that Tinsley was actually here at some point...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    UB, I agree with you that, taken on the whole, JOB seems to have confronted Tinsley after the game which led to Tinsley pouting and getting reinjured, etc.

So JOB gets a couple of points for that. But I also believe a point gets subtracted for not doing it in the game. Sure, you want your best player out there to win. But impudence and defiance needs to be confronted immediately, no matter who it is or how good they are.
    I have a deeper problem with OBrien's handling of Tinsley in that game. Whatever TV's that were left tuning into Pacers games had to have several viewers (a majority IMHO) SCREAMING "SIT HIS A$$ DOWN!" as that episode wore on. That's just not the type of PR hit Tinsley OR the Pacers needed. He let Tinsley dig his own grave and take the team down with him.... and then seemingly 'confirm' what many were already suspecting anyway. It was not an anomaly to see Tinsley get into a fan-killing game of "oneupsmanship".... he was just taking it to a new level. When a team is trying to change Tinsley's image as well as the team's overall image, this wasn't a hit they couldn't afford to take.

They were supposed to be trying to wins fans back with an emphassis on 'playing the right way'. That wasn't it. And by not taking control of the situation immediately OBrien made a bad situation worse. They lost fans that night... not won them or at least pacified existing fans with the knowledge that crap like Tinsley pulled would not be tolerated. In fact, OBrien showed them it would be tolerated....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    It's kinda hard to respect the authority when he doesn't put JT's @ss on the bench after the fifth one-one-one bucket, then the sixth . . . then the seventh . . . et al.
    Yeah, but Rick did do that and he didn't respect him either. Just a mess all-around it would seem. It's been the carrot and the stick, what other options are their? Trickery?

"Hey, there's no punch and pie here."
    "More people will play good defense if you tell them they'll get punch and pie."

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    How does a dude sit out nearly three months with a "sore knee"? There's either something wrong with it or there isn't. This whole thing is weird.
    Meet Marvin Harrison.