Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers' Tinsley will sit out rest of season

Default Pacers' Tinsley will sit out rest of season

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/803230386

CHICAGO -- Something that was looking more likely as each day passed became official Saturday when Indiana Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley said he won't play again this season because of an ongoing left knee problem. "I was going to try to come back eventually, but it was decided that I was done when I took my last MRI (on Friday)," Tinsley said before the Pacers' game against the Chicago Bulls.

Tinsley didn't go into details on what the MRI revealed, but the team has continued to call it a sore left knee since he played his last game Feb. 5.
    While all signs point to forward Jermaine O'Neal (knee) returning to the lineup this season, it became more obvious that Tinsley wouldn't be back. He hasn't done any kind of on-court work in more than six weeks. Earlier this season, Tinsley finally looked like he was going to rid himself of the "injury-prone" label that has followed him the past few years. He averaged nearly 14 points and more than eight assists in the first two months of the season. His play took a turn when he injured his knee trying to split a double team against the Miami Heat on Dec. 15.

"I should have sat out when I first got hurt," Tinsley reiterated. "That's my biggest downfall, trying to play through it, which set myself back." Tinsley, who has had an up-and-down career with the Pacers, will likely be talked about in trade rumors this summer. "I don't know and I don't worry about that," Tinsley said when asked if he thought he has played his last game as a Pacer.

Harrison on defense

It wasn't long ago that Pacers center David Harrison couldn't stay out of foul trouble long enough to be a factor. Now Pacers coach Jim O'Brien is calling the athletic Harrison the team's best current interior defender. O'Neal normally holds that title but has been injured. "(Harrison) is by far our best defensive big man right now," O'Brien said. His comments came a day after Harrison played a season-high 27 minutes, scoring 10 points and blocking three shots, against the Minnesota Timberwolves. O'Brien would like to see Harrison get to the level where he is playing around 30 minutes a game.
    "He's certainly capable of playing at a very high level," O'Brien said.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers' Tinsley will sit out rest of season

Glad to hear it. No need to bring him (or JO really) back right now.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/803230386
    Harrison on defense

It wasn't long ago that Pacers center David Harrison couldn't stay out of foul trouble long enough to be a factor. Now Pacers coach Jim O'Brien is calling the athletic Harrison the team's best current interior defender. O'Neal normally holds that title but has been injured. "(Harrison) is by far our best defensive big man right now," O'Brien said. His comments came a day after Harrison played a season-high 27 minutes, scoring 10 points and blocking three shots, against the Minnesota Timberwolves. O'Brien would like to see Harrison get to the level where he is playing around 30 minutes a game.
    "He's certainly capable of playing at a very high level," O'Brien said.
    It took how many games for JO'B to realize this?

Good frickin' God.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Might we have seen tinsley's last game as a pacer?

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I hope so, he has been such a burden on this team. Uncertainty at the position pretty much every year he's been here, always wondering will he be healthy all year? The answer is usually a flat, no. It's pretty bad when your most solid year in the league was your rookie year.

I was never a huge Tinsley fan or a huge Tinsley hater. But, watching him cheerleading and coming out of his shell a bit this year made me realize that I'll miss the little guy when/if he goes. God, why can't he just stay healthy

this sucks...I bet they are doing the same thing with JO....just waiting till we are officially eliminated from playoff contention or something...cause atleast with JO back we have a slight chance in the playoffs...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Absolutely shocking. If he does stay then we will hear how he is healthier than ever over the summer.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    While the Simons are not likely to eat JO's contract, they might eat Tinsley's.

Is Tinsley even tradeable?

How does a dude sit out nearly three months with a "sore knee"? There's either something wrong with it or there isn't. This whole thing is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Irk Woodsman View Post
    I was never a huge Tinsley fan or a huge Tinsley hater. But, watching him cheerleading and coming out of his shell a bit this year made me realize that I'll miss the little guy when/if he goes. God, why can't he just stay healthy
    I have to say after meeting JT and then watching him being so supportive on the bench he has wiggled back into my good graces lately. I know that is absurd because he hasn't played in months, but it's hard to dislike someone who went out of his way to sign autographs and take pictures with every fan down there. Also, it's great to see him be so supportive towards his teammates and Diener in particular.

From a fan standpoint, I wish him luck wherever he goes (if he goes). From a basketball standpoint we can't afford another year of his injuries/problems. We need stability at point guard and JT just can't give us that.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Even if you take Tinsley's off-court discretions off the table, I'm still tired of the guy because we have so much money tied up in him and he's always injured.

But good luck to him wherever he goes.

Not really suprised
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

If we can trade him, we gotta do it. Otherwise, I see no reason to eat up his contract.

My understanding was he had arthroscopic surgery about 5 weeks ago, usually the healing process for that is 3 weeks. Most other surgeries are 6M-1Y. Does he have any other surgeries scheduled? Whats really wrong with him... Flip came along and gave us stability at the point.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

But, knowing our luck, we trade the guy and he blossoms into an all-star player with averages of 15/10/2. I could see us trading Tinsley to the Heat for some crappy deal involving J-Will and filler(s).

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm starting to reach the conclusion that Tinsley needs to be bought out. There is no possiblity of trade, his presence is a disruption. His contribution is absent. What we can gain in future earnings without him compared to with him should make it a break even prospect in my mind.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelz View Post
    But, knowing our luck, we trade the guy and he blossoms into an all-star player with averages of 15/10/2. I could see us trading Tinsley to the Heat for some crappy deal involving J-Will and filler(s).
    Then good for him and the team that takes the risk on him. No doubt he can do it, but do you want all the other crap that goes along with it? It's gotten ridiculous---he's gone in every sense as far as the Pacer's go.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Let me paraphrase IMA's posted article...

"We just had the feedback session on Friday and found out fans don't want Tins or David here. So we are showcasing David in hopes of salvaging a SnT situation and letting the idea of Tinsley's potential stand in place of Tins playing and reminding some teams what he really brings in total."

USF - I agree that Tins often comes off as very amicable and family based. Then he's at a strip club in a brawl or in another bar fight a few months later or pouting on the bench or being "suspended" with a cover up story.

Something doesn't mesh. I mean JOB's comments about Harrison's ABILITY? No kidding, we all know that part. We also know that 100% this is NOT THE PROBLEM. Hulk sat with Rick and with JOB because he has been foul prone, has a HORRIBLE temper and is dumb enough to get busted 3 times by the NBA's drug policy.

Does anyone really think Sheed or Tins are clean? Or any number of other players? Of course not, they just aren't stubborn/dumb enough to get burned for it.

I like Hulk's GAME, but as a person he's been a real a'hole. Rookie year is one thing, but he's long overdue for some maturity. And THAT'S the reason he's not always played.

Guess JOB just spaced on that part of the discussion.

It seemed like this is how it would end for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Something doesn't mesh. I mean JOB's comments about Harrison's ABILITY? No kidding, we all know that part. We also know that 100% this is NOT THE PROBLEM. Hulk sat with Rick and with JOB because he has been foul prone, has a HORRIBLE temper and is dumb enough to get busted 3 times by the NBA's drug policy.
    For the record, I don't think he's a very good basketball player.

aceace, where did you hear the surgery stuff? Not saying it didn't happen by any means, but I've been out of the loop and must have missed it.

On buying out Tins, it is a definite possibility, but it's pretty tough to take a $7 million cap hit for three more years. If it was one or even two, then sure, but that's a long time to watch like 12% of your salary cap rot away.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Tins can be dealt. You don't take a talent hit if you are pushing for the playoffs. But if you are trying to give a team a 2nd PG option and they have 2 bench guys they can't really use but expire sooner or are just easier to package in another deal later then now is the time to do it.

This is about a serious restructuring of assets and is the only time a hit like they took with GS is remotely reasonable. And even now you DO NOT take a salary hit. You downgrade talent as the price for reducing salary.

So be ready for some guys no better than Diener coming back in a deal with at most a 2nd round pick. To me that's the market for Tins and the price you accept to restructure.

A buyout is strongly counter to a rebuilding effort. It hurts that more than it helps.

USF - I agree that Tins often comes off as very amicable and family based. Then he's at a strip club in a brawl or in another bar fight a few months later or pouting on the bench or being "suspended" with a cover up story.
    This is my problem with Tinsley. I remember someone on here (sorry I forget) referring to Good Tinsley and Bad Tinsley and that is completely true. Good Tinsley could be one of my favorite players, but Bad Tinsley makes me want to throw my TV out the window. As far as the strip clubs..I'm 24, I've visited a few of those establishments myself and I don't have a huge problem with it. I want him to stay out of trouble and I think with the money he makes and the responsibility that comes with being a professional athlete he should make better decisions, but I, myself can't judge him for going to a strip club when I have been there myself. Fortunately for me when I have been to these places I have been able to get home without grabbing national media attention. I'm sure he's at least partly to blame for getting the attention, but I also know how drunk people are and how some people just like to start crap with famous people.

Ok, I'm sounding like I'm defending Tinsley and that's not what I'm trying to do. All I'm saying is that as of late he seems to be a positive influence on the bench for Diener and some of the other guys. Also, the fact that I talked to/met him the other day also makes me like him a little bit more.

With all that said, next year Tinsley needs to play elsewhere IMO. At the moment, I don't have a problem with him. However, he's worn out his welcome here in Indy (especially with the casual fan) and if we hope to get fan support back he needs to be gone.

Even though I'm currently on my "Good Tinsley" kick, I know the chances of it lasting are slim to none.
    Last edited by BPump33; 03-23-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

So be ready for some guys no better than Diener coming back in a deal with at most a 2nd round pick. To me that's the market for Tins and the price you accept to restructure.
    Wow... I'd take that type of deal in a heartbeat! At least Diener has played the majority of the season and hasn't brought a trunk of issues to the team and franchise.

I think a more likely deal is an even longer term contract of a player that's injury prone or somehow otherwise 'damaged goods' and a 2nd rounder is more likely for Tinsley.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From a pure basketball standpoint, we just can't rely on Tinsley to stay on the floor and not let Mel Mel emerge frequently.