Thread: Who is a better rebounder? Foster or J.O

Default Who is a better rebounder? Foster or J.O

I'll be interested to see what you think.

I thought of this question when I heard Garnett had 24 rebounds last night and I was thinking well, he is the only rebounder they have.

But on the Pacers it seems like there are nights when J.O gets all the rebounds and some nights where Foster gets a good portion.

It seems like Jeff blocks out much better than J.O does, in fact J.O rarely blocks out. Many, many times Jeff is blocking out his man which allows J.O to get the ball.

So who is a better rebounder? I guess I would haveto go with J.O overall, although Jeff makes J.O a better reboudner

Default Re: Who is a better rebounder? Foster or J.O

Jeff.

As one would expect, there is a great deal of talent disparity between the two. JO relies on his athleticism alone and Jeff uses his talent with fundamentals. Therefore, I think Jeff is the better of the two.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

As one would expect, there is a great deal talent disparity between the two. JO relies on his athleticism alone and Jeff uses his talent with fundamentals. Therefore, I think Jeff is the better of the two.
    Exactly.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Jeff gets the "loose ball" rebounds because he seems to react quicker or at least anticipate better.

Jermaine gets the boards in traffic better, when there's lots of contact it seems that the bumping doesn't throw off his leap nearly as much (more leg strength, better balance?).

I think that they both box out OK, but Jeff obviously has been focused on rebounding ever since he started playing as a kid, so it certainly looks more natural or instinctive for him.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As one would expect, there is a great deal talent disparity between the two. JO relies on his athleticism alone and Jeff uses his talent with fundamentals. Therefore, I think Jeff is the better of the two.
    If we had a team full of guys, all using JO's metholdology for getting rebounds, then as a team we probably would be worse than we are right now at rebounding. Simply because we wouldn't have the Fosters and the Crosheres with their fundamentals.

Yet if we had an entire team of guys who use Jeff's principles under the boards, we would probably get nearly every defensive rebound while getting a few more offensive rebounds.

I don't know whether Jeff is the better rebounder, but I would definitely want every member of this team doing exactly what Jeff does under the basket to gain rebounds.

Jeff obviously has been focused on rebounding ever since he started playing as a kid, so it certainly looks more natural or instinctive for him.
    Not entirely true pacertom. Remember, in his "youth" he was a guard.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I think he said in an interview that in youth basketball, his dad gave him money based upon how many rebounds he collected.

good honest capitalism at work!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Oh really . Then we should take your assessment to the bank

7-Layer Burrito

My opinion is that Jeff is the better rebounder for the reasons most of y'all have already stated. Obviously, Jeff has the better rebounding techniques and instinct to get the loose balls. JO relies on athleticism. Both ways seem to work.

Jeff obviously has been focused on rebounding ever since he started playing as a kid, so it certainly looks more natural or instinctive for him.
    Brad Miller was the one who was a guard growing up, hence his midrange shot.

Jeff, I don't know, but I do know Brad was so maybe you're getting them crossed.

Brad Miller was the one who was a guard growing up, hence his midrange shot.

Jeff, I don't know, but I do know Brad was so maybe you're getting them crossed.
    No, Jeff was the starting PG on his high school team as a freshmen.
    So last year we had two centers that were ex-guards. Interesting. The idea of Jeff as a poing guard is kinda scary.

No wonder his dad paid him for rebounds!

If you ever see Jeff as the ball handler middleman on the fast break you can tell he has played point guard before

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Jeff is the better rebounded today, but I'm not sure he can get much better than he is.

I think JO could be much, much, much better than he presently is because he doesn't block out as effectively as he should.

JO is closing in on having the best lower body strength of any Pacers player since LaSalle Thompson. (I've always marveled at how skinny the Davis' boys legs were considering how massive thier chests and biceps were.)

As JO continues his evolution into a true center, he will probably become better at using his lower body to block out, while maintaining his athletic ability to chase down rebounds and his strength to get tough rebounds in traffic.

If he's truly one of the top three players in the league and an outside MVP candidate (even Sam Smith said so this week - and if Sam Smith can figure it out it must be obvious), then he must make subtle improvements to his game such as more effective passing out of double-teams and to be better at blocking out on the strong side of the floor.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Old as Dirt

Default Foster

Foster min played this year 1081 TOT Reb 331
    O'Neal '' ''''' '' '' 1697 ''''' ''''''''' 484

This is the reason I do not understand why he does not get more min. But

Jeff is one of the best rebounders in the league. Top ten nba...top ten world, thats his thing, why he is the starting center.

That just shows also how good JO really is. He can almost match those numbers. (per min)

Secondly, Jeff also plays a role that lets him go after those loose balls while JO gets back on the fast break, that's a big part of it.

Jeff . No question. The man just gets the balls all the time. He has a nose for it.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The better rebounder is the one who gets more rebounds. That would be Jeff.

A lot of people have talked about Jeff's rebounding skill/talent, which is fine. But JO's not chopped liver in this department.

I think a big part of it is that Jeff just has an otherworldly knack for knowing which way the basketball is going to go. If it happened once, you'd think he was just lucky. But when it happens again and again, you realize he just has the knack of knowing where the ball's going to go.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The better rebounder is the one who gets more rebounds. That would be Jeff.
    Hmmmmmm.

Strict numbers: JO gets more, only translated to "per 48 minutes" stats Jeff get's more.

But, take into consideration that JO is in a lot of cases the focus on the offensive board, i.e. the one drawing the double team, or the one attempting to score, Jeff should beat JO on that end. which he does by a large margin.
    The other way around on defense, where both should be close to equal, JO beats Jeff hands down.
    Taking into consideration the other "tasks" JO has on the court, as opposed to Jeff, like being the focal point on offense, being the shotblocker on defense, would lead to the conclusion that if JO had a more specific "rebound" assignement he would beat Jeff hands down.
    Looking solely on stats, they both have a "stronger then the other" category, Jeff offensice, JO defensive, but taken the two together and reading "behind" the stats I must say JO is the better rebounder.

It awakened some other thoughts though, that I will post in a seperate thread.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I'm going with O'Neal.

But better yet, how big of a blasphemer would I be if I said that I don't think either of them are very good rebounders. It's hard to say that about O'Neal because of the sheer volume he puts up, so I will say he is a good rebounder.

But I just am not convinced that Foster is that great of a rebounder. I know I know, I'm an ***. But it's just what I think.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I know I know, I'm an ***.
    This is BEGGING to be in someone's signature!

I'm going with O'Neal.

But better yet, how big of a blasphemer would I be if I said that I don't think either of them are very good rebounders. It's hard to say that about O'Neal because of the sheer volume he puts up, so I will say he is a good rebounder.

But I just am not convinced that Foster is that great of a rebounder.

Foster gets rebounds that he shouldn't. But also teams really focus on keeping Jeff off the offensive boards, earlier in the season they weren't and he was killing teams. But it is to the Pacers advantage to have teams focused on keeping Jeff from getting O rebounds because it helps the pacers offense in other ways.

A side note: the only way Jeff is going to get better as shooter during games is for him to shoot a lot of shots during games. All the practice in the offseason is nice and all the shooting during practice is nice, but if Jeff takes one 15 foot jumper in about every other third game, he will never be a good shooter during the games.

Pacers do a good job of blocking out as a team and that shows up in their defensive rebounding % which a week ago was in the top 4, and they were a top 7 or 8 rebounding team overall which is impressive with the style of defense and offense the Pacers play