Thread: Donnie Walsh in talks to keep Pace

Default Donnie Walsh in talks to keep Pace

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...keep_pace.html

Donnie Walsh in talks to keep Pace

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, March 22nd 2008, 4:00 AM

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh met Friday with his team's co-owners, Herbert and Melvin Simon, to work out a deal that could keep Walsh in Indiana and prevent him from replacing Isiah Thomas in New York.

The Simon brothers would prefer to keep Walsh and have him reassume control over personnel decisions from Pacers president Larry Bird. A person close to Walsh said the talks could drag into next week and that the longer they continue, the more likely it is that Walsh will stay in Indiana.

Garden chairman James Dolan met with Thomas prior to the Knicks' 120-106 loss on Friday night to the awful Memphis Grizzlies at the Garden. The loss dropped the awful Knicks to 19-49 heading into Saturday night's game in Minnesota. The crowd was generously announced as a sellout, with about 5,000 of those on hand there to see and chant for Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro, who had 17 points off the bench as Memphis snapped its 18-game road losing streak.

Dolan did not watch the game from his baseline seat and it is unclear if he has another meeting planned with Walsh, with whom he met last week in Indiana. If the Simon brothers work out a deal to keep Walsh in Indiana, there is no shortage of candidates to succeed Thomas as the Knicks' president. Jerry Colangelo and Jerry West reportedly are interested but it is believed neither has been contacted.

Other candidates include Nets assistant GM Kiki Vandeweghe, former Knick players Greg Anthony and Mark Jackson, former Sixers GM Billy King, Nuggets VP of basketball operations Mark Warkentien and perhaps even former Knicks president Ernie Grunfeld, who is with Washington.

Thomas continues to deny that he is upset over reports that he is about to be replaced.

"Comes with the territory of losing," he said. "That's just the way it goes. When you lose you're definitely subject to speculation. ... When you're losing, this is said about you and you knuckle up and you get better. I don't talk about my job status."

Thomas wouldn't say much about Walsh, who gave him his first head coaching job with the Pacers. The Knicks secretly negotiated with Thomas prior to firing Scott Layden. The Daily News reported on Tuesday that Dolan had met with Walsh.

"I have great respect for Donnie," Thomas said. "He gave me my first job in terms of coaching in this league. ... I haven't heard Donnie say anything. When you talk to him and he responds to whatever it is you're writing, then I'll respond."

DENY, DENY, DENY: Incredibly, Thomas continues to deny he attempted to trade Zach Randolph to Milwaukee even though the Bucks' owner, Sen. Herb Kohl, on Wednesday confirmed a report in The News that he had rejected a deal for Randolph and Fred Jones.

"He's not accurate," Thomas said. "I don't know what he and his GM discussed, but I know there wasn't discussion from our end in terms of trading Zach to Milwaukee."

Thomas could not say why Kohl would make up the trade proposal. "I can only speak from our end," he said. "I normally don't discuss trades or trade rumors, but since this was talked about by the owner of the team, maybe there was something that they were thinking about. But we never were on that path." Asked if he were upset with Kohl, Thomas added: "Highly unusual for an owner to speak that way."

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Donnie Walsh in talks to keep Pace

Why on earth does the New York media get the scoop on this stuff before our local media does?

Lots of papers, lots of reporters, lots of MSG snitches...er...contacts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Simons do realize that Donnie can't be here forever, right?

What are they planning on doing after he's gone? Clones? Techno-organic constructs? Brain implant?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We desperately need new vision. I think it's time to let Donnie go (won't happen though, the Simons will try to keep him at any cost).

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What are they planning on doing after he's gone? Clones? Techno-organic constructs? Brain implant?
    Booking him a space next to Ted Williams?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

It's better than leaving Larry in charge by himself.

Why don't the Simons have the balls to get rid of both of them and start fresh?

OTOH, this whole thing is interesing. For all our "who did what" debates, it seems the Simons blame Larry for our ills. Maybe they're right, maybe not, but one would think they'd know better than anyone.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

We have three choices.

1) Let Bird be in complete control

2) Donnie be in complete control

3) Let them both go and bring in someone new

I don't want number 1......I would be fine with number 2.

Why was Bird even brought in if he was never going to get complete control or Donnie Walsh was never going to leave?

Why spend that money? Why waste all this time?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I read something somewhere (forget where) yesterday where a
    'friend of Walsh's' was quoted saying that there were 'conflicts'
    on personnel decisions between LB and DW this past year and
    that it's been an uncomfortable situation.

No clue if that's accurate or not or if so, where specifically there
    may have been a difference of opinion.

However, while it's water long since over the dam, I'll always be
    curious who wanted to do what with L.A. this past Summer and
    who was really available/discussed between the respective FO's.

Sports Logo

I'm gonna guess that Walsh is playing both sides to get more $$$. I don't see how Dolan can't give full control to Walsh....just like the Simons would.

Interestingly though, there doesn't appear to be a shortage of top tier GMs that would be interested in the Knicks top job.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm gonna guess that Walsh is playing both sides to get more $$$. I don't see how Dolan can't give full control to Walsh....just like the Simons would.

Interestingly though, there doesn't appear to be a shortage of top tier GMs that would be interested in the Knicks top job.

I read somewhere that Donnie's wife did not want to move to New York. That could play a role in any mans decession making process. Personally I would like to see some new blood in the FO or if Larry has not had control let him try.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I would be willing to give bird a chance, but If Donnie is taking sole control I would be 100% fine with that. The man has a pretty nice track record all in all, mistakes have been made... but "new blood" could turn out pretty badly as well, its not like top tier GMs are gonna be knocking down the door to get this job.

either way I'm finished with the ******* two-headed monster.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Why was Bird even brought in if he was never going to get complete control or Donnie Walsh was never going to leave?

Why spend that money? Why waste all this time?

-Bball
    Because at the time they thought Donnie would retire and they felt Larry had the ability to replace him. In time they learned neither was true.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Am I the only one who'd be over-the-top excited if Donnie Walsh ended up owning the Pacers? I don't think it's out of the question to offer him a stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    To fire Thomas.

In all fairness, Donnie and Bird haven't done too bad a job.

We all know Donnie's moves and what he's done. So some didn't pan out, sometimes you take a shot and miss.

Some of the ideas did pan out and just imploded later on. You can't control what a player does off the court, or even on the court for that matter. You can say they're bad characters, but they've done well else, and other teams seem to want them, it's just a risk you have to take.

As for Bird, who knows which moves he's actually made. So he made the Sarunas move, the Cavs, Jazz and a group of others were after Runi... just didn't work out.

Did he make the Peja move? Perhaps, but Peja was a pretty good player when he was healthy here, at least we didn't give him a long term deal knowing of his back issues.

Went out and got Al back, might not have been the best move, but it was a move.. which everyone was calling for since we had the exception. Might have panned out if we would've made the coaching change a year earlier who knows.

The Golden St. trade, there's been mixed emotion. Once again it was a move that a lot of the fans forced TPTB to make. The off the court issues were just too much for the fans and community, we shipped a player out, and the issues continue... and what do you know, we haven't heard anything bad off the court from the player again. There was a lot of smack about what we got in return. Now one of those players is the heart and soul of our team IMO, and the other is becoming pretty consistent as well. The jury may be still out on what the other can bring back or contribute as well.

Draft picks? Yeah a couple of the overseas players taken in the 2nd round were eyebrow raising, but who knows... one may show up one day and be worth something. I believe Danny and Shawne were pretty good draft picks, there's a lot of players taken before and after that are a lot less productive or valuable.

Indiana isn't going to be an attractive destination for free agents, unless you overwhelm them with money, or they're an up and comer looking for playing time... they're probably going to pick a much warmer and playoff ready type of team.

So yeah they've made a couple bad moves, who hasn't? A players character issues isn't always the fault from upstairs. You can give talent a chance no matter your personality concerns, or you can play it safe with average players that you know are good characters.

No matter what you'll be questioned, it's how you go about fixing things that matters.

The Pacers have missed the playoffs one year, perhaps two depending on how this year leads us. You're only going to give someone a year or two to fix things? No wonder you only hear about tweaking things... you're not going to be around to see the team you put together if you try blowing things up

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    So he made the Sarunas move, the Cavs, Jazz and a group of others were after Runi... just didn't work out.
    It is interesting that, after all the hype, that no team has interest in him now. As an example, think about Cleveland's attempts to land a point guard.