Thread: When does a small forward ever get traded for a guard or a big man?

Mood

Default When does a small forward ever get traded for a guard or a big man?

This worries me about the Pacers. We want to think we can trade Dunleavy, Granger, Williams, or if we pick a SF in this draft, that guy too, for a different piece.

But my questions are: Who WANTS a small forward badly enough to give up a G who is as good as our SF? Who WANTS a small forward badly enough to give up a big man who is as good as our SF?

Lastly, what examples do we have of this happening in the last 10 years? 5 years?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: When does a small forward ever get traded for a guard or a big man?

Maybe Marion for Shaq? Although most would see Shaq as a downgrade.
    T-Mac was traded for Francis, but again probably a downgrade at the time and definetely a downgrade now.
    Odom and Butler were the main pieces in the original Shaq deal and they are both small forwards.
    I'm having a hard time thinking up many more deals than that, but its late. So maybe more will come to me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TMac is a 2, though.

The best small forward I can think of being traded was Pippen, and that was in his twilight for Roy Rogers, a 2nd round pick and a happy meal.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-15-2008 at 10:32 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

I'd also argue that Marion and Odom are best as "small" power forwards, especially Odom.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd also argue that Marion and Odom are best as "small" power forwards, especially Odom.
    Yeah I agree. I was grasping at straws I'll admit.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Caron Butler for Kwame Brown is the only real straight up SF for center swap i can recall.

Odom and Caron for Shaq was one thing, but that was a 2 for 1 deal.

In any case, the rule of diminishing returns certainly applies with small forwards. There's a reason they aren't traded much, because teams don't get the same talent in return.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

The first one that any Pacer fan should think of is Detlef Schrempf for Herb Williams back in the day. We definitely got the better end of that deal.

Another Pacer-oriented one is the Jalen Rose/Mark Jackson trade between Denver and the Pacers. Jalen played primarily SF for us. Further down Jalen's pipe, he was traded by Toronto to the Knicks for Antonio Davis, who occasionally played Center.

Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens was one I thought of. Mitch played SG and Owens was a SF. Sacramento definitely ended up getting the better end of that deal.

Glen Rice/Matt Geiger for Alonzo Mourning is another one...but, that one's debate-able since Glen was a SF/SG combo. Glen's trade to the Lakers for Eddie Jones (with Elden Campbell and J.R. Reid as the throw in's from each side) is another one. But, again, it banks on whether you put Glen as a SF or SG.

So yeah, there definitely are a few instances.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Mood

It's good that there are at least some examples.

When I look at the depth chart of the NBA right now, nobody needs a starting SF. Everyone is set. The closest I saw was Portland, but they're doing fine and who would they give up for Danny or Mike or Shawne or a rookie that would be worth it for us? I'm not that high on Jarret Jack or Martell Webster.

Jarret Jack and Webster is probably the best you're going to get from them.

You're not going to get much trade value from a small forward because there is a glut of them in the league. A big guard can get by playing SF, and a lot of the more mobile PFs can too. You don't hear too many GMs say, "We really need a small forward."

Point guard play? Yes
    Big men who can rebound? yes
    Perimeter shooting? Yes, but it doesn't necessarily have to come from a SF.

We know Portland wanted Danny, and the way Mike's been playing I would think we'd get some good offers for him. I still think a Shawne for Lowry deal could have worked, but only because he's from Memphis and Chris Wallace is a complete moron. But, god help me, if we draft another SF...
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    One, or both?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    We know Portland wanted Danny
    We do? I thought the only reference was an article speculating?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This worries me about the Pacers. We want to think we can trade Dunleavy, Granger, Williams, or if we pick a SF in this draft, that guy too, for a different piece.

But my questions are: Who WANTS a small forward badly enough to give up a G who is as good as our SF? Who WANTS a small forward badly enough to give up a big man who is as good as our SF?

Lastly, what examples do we have of this happening in the last 10 years? 5 years?
    Depends on the needs of the team. If a team has no capable SF's and has more G's than what they need, then maybe, just maybe they make the trade. I think that fans get too hung up on what positions a player plays, rather than what impact a player can have on a team. Scorers, defy categories that we try to place them in. Lebron, has the body of a SF/PF, but he plays more of a guard type game than SG/PF game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

Fernandez and Koponen are out there too. OF course they would be gambles since they haven't played in this league