Thread: It's official, Al Harrington has asked to be traded...

Default It's official, Al Harrington has asked to be traded...

if he can't have more playing time. I think it's safe to assume that that also means a starting spot on the floor.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/152524-4634-179.html

Larry Bird, a man with a proven willingness to make bold moves, looks ahead to the first full summer of his Indiana Pacers presidency and sees one thing.

Opportunity.

He is focused on the NBA draft at the moment. But July 1, when teams can begin negotiating with free agents and discussing trades, he will begin work on his roster.

"With the players we have, we have a chance to make our team stronger," Bird said Friday. "It's not about getting through the first round anymore. It's time to get serious.

"If we make a couple of moves, we have a legitimate chance to get out of the Eastern Conference. Everybody else's roster seems to be set. We have assets here and logjams in certain areas. If we make the right moves, we can separate ourselves from everybody else."

Bird has met individually with the players. Only Al Harrington expressed a desire to be moved if more playing time can't be found.

Harrington averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds.

"We're going to look to see what we can do," Bird said. "It's like with any player who walks in and says they're not happy. You try to explain to them that the grass isn't always greener. When they think they can take their game to the next level and they want to get more minutes and more shots, you look around. But if you can't get the value you think you can get for them, they're still going to be here. It has to be a deal that makes us happy."

Bird said seven-year veteran Scot Pollard, who averaged 11 minutes in 61 games, did not ask to be traded but acknowledged he might be a poor fit.

Johnson hopes to stay

Anthony Johnson can opt out of his contract this summer, and he might be left exposed to Charlotte in the expansion draft.

But if he has his way, he'll be back with the Pacers next season.

Johnson averaged 6.2 points in 21.9 minutes as the backup point guard.

"Playing here is definitely my first option," he said.

Pacers employee charged

Pacers equipment manager Joe Qatato will appear in a Detroit courtroom June 23 to respond to charges of indecent exposure.

Qatato allegedly performed a sex act while standing alone in front of a window in his upper-floor room at The Townsend Hotel in Birmingham, Mich., on Tuesday morning before the Pacers met Detroit in Game 6

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: It's official, Al Harrington has asked to be traded...

"With the players we have, we have a chance to make our team stronger," Bird said Friday. "It's not about getting through the first round anymore. It's time to get serious.

"We're going to look to see what we can do," Bird said. "It's like with any player who walks in and says they're not happy. You try to explain to them that the grass isn't always greener. When they think they can take their game to the next level and they want to get more minutes and more shots, you look around. But if you can't get the value you think you can get for them, they're still going to be here. It has to be a deal that makes us happy."

= "If we get an offer that works for us, Al is gone"

Not surprising, we've known that Al wants more than being a sixthman and he is the most tradable asset the Pacers have at this point. Bird is just confirming this. I guess we're finally gonna find out about Bender for sure now huh?

Now, who are Larry and Donnie on the phone with right now???

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah not really shocking or surprising , Al was saying all last year he want's to be a starter , glad it's offically out in the air now.

I think AJ might explore the market .

Yeah not really shocking or surprising , Al was saying all last year he want's to be a starter , glad it's offically out in the air now.

I think it would be smart of him to opt out. Charlotte might take him and I don't think he wants that after playing for the conference championship this year and the NBA championship with New Jersey the pior two years. He could always resign with the Pacers.

good

He's an athlete for sure... he's a decent basketball player, better than some - not as good as others. He's totally replaceable.

But he's more just an all around athlete and not really that great of a basketball player.

Plain and simple analogy of Al Harrington... and it's 100% accurate. Always has been

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

and Pollard "agreed" (which means mgmnt said it first) that he isn't a good fit here. Sorry it didn't work out here. I always liked his quirkiness in Sacto. It could have been fun to have some "character" on this team. But I guess it wasn't to be.

Result...3 definate open slots....KA, SP, and AH.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

It will be very interesting to see what Bird goes after first, a 2 or a 5. Since there are more shooters than centers available, it would seem easier to get a 2 but we don't know what Bird sees as his first priority.

What an interesting off-season.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

When will we hear from Tim about this turn of events?

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Al, say it ain't so!

I'm over it. I'm ready to move on; he can stay or he can go, no matter to me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OT - Alabama-Redneck, your cat looks really mad to have that beanie on. You should get him an IU one .

I know this was mentioned in another thread, but it applies here also.

Here is a snippet from Montieth's Q&A. The part I have highlighted is something I have probably seen 10 this past season maybe more at games I have been to.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html

Question: I hear a lot of speculation about Al Harrington being traded, but I can't understand why. He wants to start, and he should. If the Pacers should trade anybody it should be Ron Artest. He is a great defender, no doubt, but his idea of offense is to throw it in to him and let him run people over.

Harrington is much better friends with Jermaine O'Neal and many other guys on the team, so I think by trading him you lose a lot chemistry-wise with this team. What do you think? (Patrick from Fishers, Ind.)

Answer: You make good points. This is a tough call for the Pacers, and somewhat of a gamble, because Harrington and Artest (and Jonathan Bender) are so young it's difficult to project where they'll be a few years from now.

However, Artest is an All-Star and one of the best two-way players in the league. It's rare that the NBA Defensive Player of the Year averages 18 points per game. He does force the ball at times, but the Pacers ran their offense through the low post and he was basically doing what he was asked to do. He needs to continue to improve his perimeter shot and needs to make better decisions. If he does those things he'll be an even greater force.

Harrington, meanwhile, isn't nearly as good a defender as Artest, and no better offensively. Harrington has the potential to be an outstanding leader. He's an outgoing, enthusiastic guy by nature, and has the ability to lift the mood of others. But sometimes he gets so absorbed in his own play when things aren't going well that he pouts and becomes a detriment to the team's emotional level.

He is close to O'Neal and Bender, and gets along with everyone for that matter. But everyone understands trades happen, and sometimes a fresh start is good for a player's career.

It comes down to the fact the Pacers will do any deal that improves the team. It's not inconceivable that they'll receive an offer for Artest they can't turn down and keep Harrington. And if they don't receive a deal for Harrington that they like, they'll keep him. But at the moment the most likely scenario is that Harrington will be traded.

OT - Alabama-Redneck, your cat looks really mad to have that beanie on. You should get him an IU one .

I tried an "IU" hat and the cat threw up, took the hat to it's pottybox and covered it over. :P

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Maybe he's a Notre Dame cat!!! Ya know, a fish eatin mackeral snapper.

(hey, don't get on me I'm Catholic too so I'm allowed)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I think it would be smart of him to opt out. Charlotte might take him and I don't think he wants that after playing for the conference championship this year and the NBA championship with New Jersey the pior two years. He could always resign with the Pacers.
    Somebody help me here... can't he opt out after the draft? It seems like the opt-out date is later in the summer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Maybe he's a Notre Dame cat!!! Ya know, a fish eatin mackeral snapper.

(hey, don't get on me I'm Catholic too so I'm allowed)
    Well, you might be right since "SHE" has never had an "ND" hat and she does like salmon!!

Somebody help me here... can't he opt out after the draft? It seems like the opt-out date is later in the summer.
    Good question so I looked it up. (larry Coon # 48)

Options must be exercised by the July 1 that precedes the option year. Once exercised, an option cannot be revoked (for example, a player cannot invoke an option on June 20th and change his mind on June 25th).

So to answer your question, yes he can opt out after the draft, but if Charlotte picks him it makes him a free agent and he can then sign with any team with the exception of the Pacer's.

So if he wants to be sure he remains a Pacer he could opt out and then resign with them. There would be no point in him opting out if Charlotte picks him though since he would already be a free agent.