Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closing out the season

Default Re: Closing out the season

5 wins
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

2 down, 7 to go.

I want to get up after this game, but it was the Knicks. We looked inept for at least 24 minutes... luckily the Knicks were worse.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    9-10 and it's going to be a race for the playoffs (or out if you see it that way).

My only feeling is that if they are hitting the playoffs, try to get JO back out there before then to give them the slightest hope of winning a game or two. I could live with that.

I'd take good Tins too, but I have zero hopes on that one.

Again, look at Hollinger's predictor where it plays out the games. Pacers look to be drafting 10 OR 15. I think 7-8 is off the board already.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The problem for the Pacers, other than not being very good is that they have 3 teams in front of them wanting to make the playoffs. New Jersey, Atlanta and Chicago. The seven
    position is not possible almost. Philly is 1 game under .500. So if they play .500 ball the rest of the way and the Pacers win the rest of theirs then they can get number 7. That is not going to happen. At number 8 they have to make up three games on those three teams
    in front of them. One team is possible, three is going to be very difficult.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post

The problem for the Pacers, other than not being very good is that they have 3 teams in front of them wanting to make the playoffs. New Jersey, Atlanta and Chicago. The seven
    position is not possible almost. Philly is 1 game under .500. So if they play .500 ball the rest of the way and the Pacers win the rest of theirs then they can get number 7. That is not going to happen. At number 8 they have to make up three games on those three teams
    Give it a week, and I'll start up my annual Magic Number Thread.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd say that ATL just hopped into the lead car for the time being with
    their 2nd straight road win tonight. Though they do have some tougher
    home games left than the other 3 teams do.

Long way to go yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    I'd say that ATL just hopped into the lead car for the time being with
    their 2nd straight road win tonight. Though they do have some tougher
    home games left than the other 3 teams do.

Long way to go yet...
    As I've said elsewhere, I think Atlanta's got the inside track. Their schedule (and our's, for that matter) is significantly easier than NJ or Chicago's. Add in the fact it'd be a big deal if they made it, as opposed to avoiding embarrasment like the rest of us, and I think they'll do it. As long as we don't screw it up and start playing alot better.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yeah, we can't really afford to lose many more...maybe twice more.

Wed 19 vs Charlotte - IN, 2nd of a 3 game home stand. Charlotte, final game of a 6 game road trip. Both teams played Monday & have Tuesday off. Pacers win

Fri 21 vs Minnesota IN, final game in a 3 game home stand. MN, 1 game road trip. Both teams play at home on Wed & both have Thursday off. Pacers win

Sat 22 @ Chicago IN, 1 game road trip. Chicago, 3rd of 4 at home. Pacers played the night before. Chicago has a day off. Pacers loose

Tue 25 vs New Orleans IN, 1 game back home. NO, 1st of 6 on the road. Both teams have 2 days off coming in. Pacers loose

Wed 26 @ New Jersey IN, 2nd of back to back. NJ plays Monday but has Tuesday off. Pacers loose

Fri 28 vs New Jersey Both teams have a days rest coming in. Pacers loose

Mon 31 vs Miami IN, 2nd of 2 home games. Miami, last of 4 game road trip. IN has 2 days rest. Miami played the night before in Boston. Pacers win

Wed 02 @ Boston IN, 1st of 2 games on the road. Boston, 1 game at home between road games. IN, has 1 days rest. Boston plays the night before in Chicago. Pacers loose

Fri 04 @ Milwaukee IN, 2nd in 2 game roaf trip. Milwaukee, lone home game between single game road trips. Both team have a day off coming in. Pacers loose

Sun 06 vs Milwaukee IN back home for 1st of 2. Milwaukee, 1 game road trip. Both teams play each other on Friday & both have an off day coming in. Pacers win

Tue 08 vs Atlanta IN, 2nd game in 2 game home stand. ATL, 2nd of 3 on the road. IN has a day off, ATL has 2 days between games. Pacers win

Fri 11 @ Philadelphia IN 1 game road trip. Phily, 3rd of 3 at home. IN has 2 days rest going in. Phily, has 3 days rest, plays Wed, has Thurs. off. Pacers loose

Sat 12 vs Charlotte IN, 1 game home stand. Charlotte, 2nd of 3 on th road. IN plays the night before in Phily. Charlotte has 2 days off coming in. Pacers loose

Mon 14 @ Washington IN, 1 game road trip. Wash, 2nd of 2 at home. Both teams play Sat & have Sunday off. Pacers loose

Wed 16 vs New York IN, 1 game rhome stand. NY, 1 game road trip. Both teams play Monday & have Tuesday off. Pacers win

Thats 6 more wins, counting the NY game from lastnight & thats 7 of the final 19. Our final record, 32-50. Both Kegboy & I predicted 32 W's at the last forum party.
    Last edited by Jose Slaughter; 03-18-2008 at 01:54 AM.

Wed 19 vs Charlotte - W
    Fri 21 vs Minnesota - W
    Sat 22 @ Chicago - W
    Tue 25 vs New Orleans - L
    Wed 26 @ New Jersey - L
    Fri 28 vs New Jersey - W
    Mon 31 vs Miami - W
    Wed 02 @ Boston - L
    Fri 04 @ Milwaukee - L
    Sun 06 vs Milwaukee - W
    Tue 08 vs Atlanta - W
    Fri 11 @ Philadelphia - W
    Sat 12 vs Charlotte - L
    Mon 14 @ Washington - L
    Wed 16 vs New York - W

:thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Thats 6 more wins, counting the NY game from lastnight & thats 7 of the final 19. Our final record, 32-50. Both Kegboy & I predicted 32 W's at the last forum party.
    I predicted 32 wins in October.

Enjoy your time at PD!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post

Sorry, misunderstanding there.
    7-8 referred to DRAFT SPOT, not playoff spot.

So I was saying that they can either push for the 15 pick and a playoff spot OR the 8-10 pick. I don't see them getting worse or better than that. Either one is fine with me, at least in the sense that I don't see either situation dramatically better or worse than the other.

I like some kids in this draft, but outside of 7-8 you will need savvy and luck to get one that dramatically improves the team. I tout Rush (KS) and Love (UCLA) as good picks, but that isn't meant to imply major impact guys. I see them as foundation types, and at 10+ that's all you can expect (if that). And Rush isn't slotting as high as 15 anyway.

I don't think we'll be saying "oh, we really lost out in not getting Augustin, and that's a player I like. Honestly the aspect of Love and Rush I like most of all is the mental game, something the team sorely lacks at times.

This doesn't appear to be the year that the Pacers solve the "need a go-to star" situation.

HOLLINGER PROGRAM - 34 wins, 2 game out. ATL in, NJ, CHI out. Pacers pick 9 to 11 depending on tiebreakers.
    This also means it's guessing an 8-7 finish for them.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-18-2008 at 11:16 AM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    Win
    Tue 11 vs Seattle
    Mon 17 vs New York
    Wed 19 vs Charlotte

Fri 21 vs Minnesota
    Fri 28 vs New Jersey
    Mon 31 vs Miami
    Tue 08 vs Atlanta
    Wed 16 vs New York

Loss
    Fri 14 @ Dallas
    Sat 15 @ Orlando

Sat 22 @ Chicago
    Tue 25 vs New Orleans
    Wed 26 @ New Jersey
    Wed 02 @ Boston
    Fri 04 @ Milwaukee
    Sun 06 vs Milwaukee
    Fri 11 @ Philadelphia
    Sat 12 vs Charlotte
    Mon 14 @ Washington

8-11

I am not doing so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What makes us all of a sudden able to beat the Bobcats????

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

4-1 thus far on my predictions. I'm surprised we beat Charlotte as their talent level is clearly superior to ours. Not to mention their core players have just begun to tap into their full potential as opposed to ours, who asides from Danny and maybe Mike, are clearly on the downside of their career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    4-1 thus far on my predictions. I'm surprised we beat Charlotte as their talent level is clearly superior to ours. Not to mention their core players have just begun to tap into their full potential as opposed to ours, who asides from Danny and maybe Mike, are clearly on the downside of their career.
    Dunleavy skill wise is somewhere near his peak, but he's probably going to be able to play at this level for several more years. Same with Granger.

They'll keep plugging away the way they are for a good while before they hit their "downside", as you put it.

Probably the same with Jason Richardson and Gerald Wallace, might I add.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Dunleavy skill wise is somewhere near his peak, but he's probably going to be able to play at this level for several more years. Same with Granger.

They'll keep plugging away the way they are for a good while before they hit their "downside", as you put it.

Probably the same with Jason Richardson and Gerald Wallace, might I add.
    The top-7 key players (for now and the future) for both teams....

B O B C A T S
    Raymond Felton - 23 years, 9 months
    Jason Richardson - 27 years, 2 months
    Gerald Wallace - 25 years, 8 months
    Emeka Okafor - 25 years, 6 months
    Sean May - 23 years, 11 months
    Adam Morrison - 23 years, 8 months
    Jared Dudley - 22 years, 8 months
    Average - 24 years, 9 months

P A C E R S
    Jamaal Tinsley - 30 years, 1 month
    Mike Dunleavy - 27 years, 6 months
    Danny Granger - 24 years, 11 months
    Jermaine O'Neal - 29 years, 7 months
    Jeff Foster - 31 years, 2 months
    Troy Murphy - 27 years, 10 months
    Shawne Williams - 22 years, 1 month
    Average: 27 years, 10 months

We're talking just over a 3 year differential. That's fairly substantial, the difference between being a young team and not being a young team.

Charlotte's oldest "key" player is J-Rich who just recently turned 27. Everyone else is under 26. The Pacers best player (J.O.) will be 30 by the time next season starts and is already considered washed up by most fans. Two other starters are already over the age of 30. Only two are under the age of 27.

The Bobcats are younger, thus common sense would tell you (i) they have more room to improve individually, which will lead to improvement as a team, and (ii) they have a longer period of time before they start their physical decline. Another benefit Charlotte has is that their key players are all around the same age, meaning they'll be able to grow together and should all peak at around the same time. That's an underrated aspect of building a competitive team. On the other hand, by the time Granger has peaked, J.O. will probably be rolling around in a diamond-encrusted wheel chair, Foster will be in his mid-30's and on the verge of retirement, as will Tinsley, provided he's not in jail.

The Pacers are one of the most poorly constructed teams in the league. I'm a huge Pacer fan, but there's no point in being in denial about it, which I think a lot of fans are. You can't fix a problem until you first address the fact that there is a problem. Luckily it seems that ownership has finally accepted reality and is ready to do something about it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think anyone was talking about the Bobcats three years from now, they were talking about right now's Bobcats.

Say what you will, but the records of both teams are similar, and the Pacers are without 2 of the top guys that are supposed to fill into the equation.

Will the Bobcats be a better team in the future? I'd think so, with all their young talent. But of those top seven players Okafur/Morrison/May/Wallace all have a history of injury and they're all pretty young.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    W - Tue 11 vs Seattle
    L - Fri 14 @ Dallas
    L - Sat 15 @ Orlando
    W - Mon 17 vs New York
    W - Wed 19 vs Charlotte
    W - Fri 21 vs Minnesota
    Sat 22 @ Chicago
    Tue 25 vs New Orleans
    Wed 26 @ New Jersey
    Fri 28 vs New Jersey
    Mon 31 vs Miami
    Wed 02 @ Boston
    Fri 04 @ Milwaukee
    Sun 06 vs Milwaukee
    Tue 08 vs Atlanta
    Fri 11 @ Philadelphia
    Sat 12 vs Charlotte
    Mon 14 @ Washington
    Wed 16 vs New York
    Wow. We've won 4 of our last 6. 13 games to go, and we play everybody who matters ahead of us in the standings. We really could still make the playoffs.

EDIT: How long has it been since we've had a 6-game stretch where we were over .500?
    Last edited by Anthem; 03-22-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wow. We've won 4 of our last 6. 13 games to go, and we play everybody who matters ahead of us in the standings. We really could still make the playoffs.

EDIT: How long has it been since we've had a 6-game stretch where we were over .500?
    I'd expect us to go 7-6. Probably not enough to get us in and definitely not in convincing fashion if somebody ahead of us falters badly.

I think the Bulls take us tomorrow and I think there's a good chance Atlanta beats us at home even in it's a big game at that point. Hawks aren't playing well but I think they're better than us. Bulls always give us fits due to all the long, large, athletic front liners they can run at us. They'll likely kill us on the boards and get themselves a ton of extra possessions off the offensive glass.

The only way I don't forsee the above road is if what we've seen this week is truly indicative of us coming together. Flip helps and DH has been steady for once. However, our three straight home wins over the sisters of the poor don't inspire me with supreme confidence. Our D still is the pits-see Minnesota's point total despite our W.

My cheering will be governed by my heart as opposed to my head, of course.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

The Bobcats are younger, thus common sense would tell you (i) they have more room to improve individually, which will lead to improvement as a team
    It could also mean they haven't had enough time to prove to you that they aren't very good. Emeka, for instance, is borderline inept offensively will never be much better than he is right now...but probably will be more injured. Adam Morrison could be horrible. Sean May might just be a poor man's Clarence Weatherspoon. Given the current young PGs running around in this league, it's not out of the question that Felton will never be among the Top 15 starters.

The Pacers are one of the most poorly constructed teams in the league. I'm a huge Pacer fan, but there's no point in being in denial about it, which I think a lot of fans are. You can't fix a problem until you first address the fact that there is a problem. Luckily it seems that ownership has finally accepted reality and is ready to do something about it.
    That's undeniable. We might be the worst constructed team in fact. I mean, the Knicks are bad, but at least they have the uber-billionaires owners that will keep throwing money at the problem until it can someday (theoretically) be solved.

And, look, I'm not tryna pick on the Bobcats kiddies. I actually like both Felton and May. I'm just saying that we have no idea if they'll ever be particularly good. They have Wallace and JRich who are both good-not-great guys who have already reached their ceilings (IMO) that will anchor the roster, but there's really no way to know if any of the other guys will become good enough to ever make them a multi-year playoff squad let alone a squad with ECF aspirations.

So while I've got nothing against spending a few years in the lottery if that's what it takes for an influx of talent, we all just need to realize that, like the Bobcats, getting a few more talented NCAA players into this franchise really gives us nothing but hope. I don't care how much anyone thinks these guys are "sure things." Aside from the Brons, Melos, Durants and Beasleys of the world, there are no sure things.

Of course, hope that we'll draft well and those guys will develop quickly is much better than what we currently have. But hope is only hope. Just ask Chicago.

Atlanta beat Orlando. Big win for u.., I mean, them.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Atlanta beat Orlando. Big win for u.., I mean, them.
    Beating Atlanta's going to be the trick. It's very possible that we'll JUST miss the playoffs.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_Pacerfan View Post
    Wed 19 vs Charlotte - W
    Fri 21 vs Minnesota - W
    Sat 22 @ Chicago - W
    Tue 25 vs New Orleans - L
    Wed 26 @ New Jersey - L
    Fri 28 vs New Jersey - W
    Mon 31 vs Miami - W
    Wed 02 @ Boston - L
    Fri 04 @ Milwaukee - L
    Sun 06 vs Milwaukee - W
    Tue 08 vs Atlanta - W
    Fri 11 @ Philadelphia - W
    Sat 12 vs Charlotte - L
    Mon 14 @ Washington - L
    Wed 16 vs New York - W

Hey wow I'm off to a good start.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

If we could win the next four...