Thread: Taking the Boy to His First Game

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Taking the Boy to His First Game

Well, provided we can dig out of the fresh foot and a half of snow we got, we're headed down to Indy for the week (kids' Spring Break to visit my mom). I figured I'd try to take my son to the Seattle game on Tuesday... figure it'll never be easier to get cheap seats on short notice.

Can someone tell me where's the best parking and what's a good time to go if I want to try to get autographs? And is it also PD regulation to provide Magic Rat a photo so he can capture us in the crowd?

Thanks all...
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Default Re: Taking the Boy to His First Game

Quote Originally Posted by Drewtone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, provided we can dig out of the fresh foot and a half of snow we got, we're headed down to Indy for the week (kids' Spring Break to visit my mom). I figured I'd try to take my son to the Seattle game on Tuesday... figure it'll never be easier to get cheap seats on short notice.

Can someone tell me where's the best parking and what's a good time to go if I want to try to get autographs? And is it also PD regulation to provide Magic Rat a photo so he can capture us in the crowd?

Thanks all...
    Parking depends on how much you want to spend...There is a lot at the corner of South and Delaware that is 2 or 3 dollars if I remember correctly. I always fork over $10 and park in the Sideline garage which is right across the alley just north of the Fieldhouse. Coming south on Pennsylvania turn left onto Maryland and it is right there on the right. Easy out after the game and a very short walk into Conseco. As for autographs, I would suggest getting there when the gates open at 5:30.

sweabs

Drive safe - hope the weather has died down for you guys...I know you must have got hit hard. We still have about 50cm here but it's sunny.

Mood

Park on the roof (tell them you want uncovered) of the parking garage directly East of Conseco Fieldhouse; $2.00.

Sports Logo

Doesn't Conseco Fieldhouse have it's own parking area?

If not...then obviously find the closest parking...no matter the cost. Speaking from experience as a Dad bringing his family to the Oakland Arena to see the Pacers play.....it's always best to get into the Arena and then back into the car when the game is over ASAP....especially if you have kid to drag through bad weather.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Just south of the Fieldhouse on the east side of Delaware St. is a lot that is $3 and easy to get in and out of. Very short walk as well. Weather is supposed to be getting a little better here midweek, so the 3 or 4 minute walk shouldn't be an issue. Last time I went to a game and parked on the roof of the garage, I sat in a line of cars for 20-25 minutes waiting to get out.

There is nothing like the sights and sounds of a first game in any sport.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Unless your first game was in Detroit in November of 2004.

Enjoy the game and your son's reactions. We took my 3 yr old nephew to his first game back in January. It was amazing to see this normally very active kid just overwhelmed at all the sites, sounds, and activity and he just sat their amazed for nearly the whole game.

It helped that someone had given us courtside tickets behind the basket, so everything was right in your face. Not to mention, the Bobcats mascot Rufus came over to play with him several times and the cameraman kept putting him on the jumbotron every chance he got. Oh and the bobcats dance team was right in our face most of the game. Although I think his Dad and I enjoyed that more than he did.

Its been 2 months and he still talks about it everytime I see him (about once a week) and wants to know when we're going again.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To get autographs go early...soon as the fieldhouse opens...they will let you go down next to the floor and you can get autographs from the players as they leave the floor after their before game practice. Also you can get some pictures.

I remember the first game I ever went to. Had great seats in MSA - I think I was older than most (first game experience) I was 11 or 12. After my first game, I started begging my dad to take me. Probably went to 2 or threee games a year through high school. I was so happy when I could go on my own - but that wasn't util I was in college. And I would buy $17.00 tickets in the lower level.

Mood

Made it down folks... could not get off our street until 2PM after I sweet-talked a couple of neighbors with snowblowers to make a rudimetary path.

I think we're a go for tomorrow. Should I get tix at Conseco (I've only been to one game there) or online somewhere?
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Made it down folks... could not get off our street until 2PM after I sweet-talked a couple of neighbors with snowblowers to make a rudimetary path.

I think we're a go for tomorrow. Should I get tix at Conseco (I've only been to one game there) or online somewhere?
    I don't know what your financial situation is, but I would recommend paying money for really good seats. How often do you get to go to Pacers games? - your son has never been. Make it memorable. Your best price will be through ticket scalpers outside the fieldhouse, but I would not recommend it. You don't know the arena and you could end up buying tickets you really don't want.

So go to the box office, you can get two lower level tickets along the sidelines. For example I just pulled two up in section 17 row 12 seats 11 and 12 - those are right across from the pacers bench. (yes rather expensive $116 each) Only problem with Ticketmaster - is that it changres 14 dollars for a conveniance charge. So I would recommend buying the tickets at the box office of Conseco. Just be insistant upon where you would like to sit. (Don't just say the best available. You'll get better results if you say, lower level - look at the diagram and ask them to check section 16 (for example) If paying over $100 just isn't in your budget at all. You can still get lower level tickets for $77 or $88 dollars in the corners and behind the basket.

personally I would not recommend buying club seats, they are just as expensive as lower level (but you are much higher off the floor) you do get waiter service, but - IMO it isn't worth it. (get lower level seats)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-10-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Or print out a seating chart and buy from scalpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    So go to the box office, you can get two lower level tickets along the sidelines. For example I just pulled two up in section 17 row 12 seats 11 and 12 - those are right across from the pacers bench. (yes rather expensive $116 each)
    I sat in $116 seats for the Bulls game last week, 12 rows behind the Pacers bench. Paid $80 for the pair on the street........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I sat in $116 seats for the Bulls game last week, 12 rows behind the Pacers bench. Paid $80 for the pair on the street........
    For a game against the Sonics you can probably get those same seats for $60 or less and if you wait until game time really less. The only reason why I said I would not recommend scalpers, is because if you don't know the fieldhouse - you can get burned easily, and if I had my son with me, I don't know if I would want to be walking around downtown trying to bargain for tickets - but that is just me, as far as getting the best seats for the least amount of money - scalpers are the way to go and it is legal in Indiana

Mood

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm taking my daughter as well, so I'll likely go with the cheaper seats from the box office.

So where should I sit if I don't want the kids spooked by scuzzy cotton candy guy???

Bob Netolicky

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm taking my daughter as well, so I'll likely go with the cheaper seats from the box office.

So where should I sit if I don't want the kids spooked by scuzzy cotton candy guy???
    You can get cheap seats on the street too, and if you are going that route I doubt you are going to get stuck buying anything too bad. In the balcony they will all be the same more or less. The reason that I would suggest this is that many people go to the box office and pay $10 each when they could get better seats outside on the street for $5, just my .02
    Last edited by AB1077; 03-10-2008 at 09:51 PM.

excited to hear how it went......