Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROT IN HELL DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!!!

woman without a team

Default ROT IN HELL DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!!!

That is all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ROT IN HELL DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!!!

I like it, mostly for the more tennis in the summer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

woman without a team

My only gripe is I'm starting a new job on Monday which means I have to go from working the last 7 months on night shift to working the next 2 weeks on days. Sure an hour doesn't seem like much until you're trying to convince yourself it's time to go to bed and the next think you know its 3:00 instead of 2.

And now I'll be spending the rest of the day not killing Kegboy when he tells me I can't take a nap.

I LOVE DST. Especially in the summer.

I love having extra daylight in the evening to play with the kids, to shoot baskets, grill out, play golf, hang out on the beach, even do yard work.

I love not having to hear my customers in other timezones (half) joke about "what time is it there?"

Nothing I do early in the morning requires sunlight.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Yeah, it's terrible switching. I was out at a club and from 2 all of a sudden it's 3 and you have lost an hour of sleep after an exhausting night...not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, it's terrible switching. I was out at a club and from 2 all of a sudden it's 3 and you have lost an hour of sleep after an exhausting night...not pleasant.
    Myopia FTW!!

The funny thing is that originally it was meant to help save energy, but at this point it's been pretty well established that Daylight Savings Time is a major energy-waster in the US. We'd cut our carbon footprint dramatically by getting rid of it across the country.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was pissed to say the least when I saw I had to change my clock from 2AM to 3AM.

Hooray.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

DST can rot in Hell.

I agree.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

No, standard time can rot in hell.

Daylight savings isn't the problem. Switching in and out of it is the problem.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

The whole concept of time can rot in hell. I wish I could just be where I want to be when I want to be there.

I thought about this thread this morning when I was struggling to convince my body that it was really 6:30 AM and not 5:30 AM and time to get up. Especially considering I couldn't convince my body that it was really 11PM last night and couldn't fall asleep until 12PM.

Whether to switch or not is only half the issue. For Indiana, the second, and equally important, questions is, which time zone?

Western Indiana is almost 1,000 miles west of the east coast. yet it is still in the same time zone. The eastern edge of the Central Time Zone (the Alabama/Georgia state line) is nearly 200 miles further east than my house, and yet I'm eastern and they are Central.

Doug says he likes DST because he gets more time to "hang out on the beach," so I assume he's not in Indiana. (Are you?)

I can understand both sides of the national DST argument, though the facts as as Anthem has stated. But Indiana should not be in the eastern time zone.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Doug says he likes DST because he gets more time to "hang out on the beach," so I assume he's not in Indiana. (Are you?)
    Yes. There are great beaches up on Lake Michigan.

Moving to Central would be the "worst case scenario", worse than the old one. It wouldn't say light any later during the summer, and would get dark even earlier in the winter. That would just suck.

Every state on the border of time zone can make the argument that they are closer to the next state to the west than the first one to the east. The lines have to be somewhere.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Moving to Central would be the "worst case scenario", worse than the old one. It wouldn't s[t]ay light any later during the summer, and would get dark even earlier in the winter. That would just suck.

The six counties up near Lake Michigan already are on central DST.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    The six counties up near Lake Michigan already are on central DST.
    True. I'm not sure why, but seem to stay on eastern when we go up. Or, perhaps, we run a little more on "Island Time" now.

- Jimmy Buffett

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DST is no longer needed in this country.

IMHO... Indiana's position relative to the timeline negates any benefit of DST.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Secret Agent Man-O.N.E. James Bond's Avatar

Sleeping pills and coffee people.

That's my quick fix to DST.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Switching clocks twice a year = stupid.

No national standard for something so rudimentary = bad.

My mother recently moved to Arizona. Arizona doesn't change clocks. So for part of the year, We're on the same time, and the other part of the year, she's on mountain time.

I never know when to call her. I'm always a hour late or an hour early depending on which way i've mis-managed my understanding of what the hell Arizona is up to.

Point is, we're not trying to conduct interstate commerce with deadlines and delivery expectations, we're just trying to have a conversation.

Switching clocks twice a year = stupid.

No national standard for something so rudimentary = bad.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

i Agree and I will SHOUT THAT OUT TO ALL

I give DST a big meh. I adjust to the change easily.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Moving to Central would be the "worst case scenario", worse than the old one. It wouldn't say light any later during the summer, and would get dark even earlier in the winter. That would just suck.
    Yeah, but that's the reality for a majority of people on DST. Indiana is one of the more extreme cases being so far west in the zone.

So DST does stink except if you want daytime till 10 (I don't, I like feeling like real life is going on, not some Denmark polar cap thing).

Whatever happened to just going to work earlier? You gotta pull the lame trick of setting the clock different to fool yourself into doing it...on a national scale? You can't just have summer hours?

What's next, switch the pricing at gas stations to the Euro style Per Liter so the price is "cheaper"? It won't really be different, but the indicator will SAY it's different so it's like it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yeah, but that's the reality for a majority of people on DST. Indiana is one of the more extreme cases being so far west in the zone.

So DST does stink except if you want daytime till 10 (I don't, I like feeling like real life is going on, not some Denmark polar cap thing).

Whatever happened to just going to work earlier? You gotta pull the lame trick of setting the clock different to fool yourself into doing it...on a national scale? You can't just have summer hours?

What's next, switch the pricing at gas stations to the Euro style Per Liter so the price is "cheaper"? It won't really be different, but the indicator will SAY it's different so it's like it really is.
    Daytime 'til 10? Sunset is at 9:16 on June 22.

Going to work early? Easier said than done. It's not so easy to get companies to change their policies. Not everyone can just take off at 4.

Now, price per liter sounds OK, but that's just because I think we should have switched to the metric system a long time ago.

- Jimmy Buffett