Thread: Oprah's "Boyfriend" Gives Advice To Pacers

Default Oprah's "Boyfriend" Gives Advice To Pacers

Saturday, March 08, 2008

For your weekend entertainment, check out an IBJ story today about how Oprah Winfrey's "long-time boyfriend", Stedman Graham, is providing advice to the troubled Indiana Pacers team. Anthony Schoette writes:

Best-selling author Stedman Graham says professional athletes should think of themselves as “a corporation unto themselves.” “They need to represent themselves as a major business would,” Graham said during a recent telephone interview. “That awareness is created by a different kind of thinking.”

Graham—who is perhaps best known as television star Oprah Winfrey’s boyfriend—brought that message to the Indiana Pacers during a three-hour private seminar in late January that was designed to get the players to rethink the importance of their individual images.

Players said they enjoyed the program, and Pacers officials are considering bringing Graham back for follow-up sessions.

“He talked a lot about brand and how that relates to your earning potential,” said Pacers guard Kareem Rush. “[Graham] focused on a lot of life issues, your inner circle, having your life organized and maintaining a real focus in all aspects of your life. It was very informative.”

Hiring Graham is another step Pacers management has taken to enhance player development and boost the players’ and team’s image in the wake of numerous high-profile off-court incidents, including shootings, strip club fights and, most recently, connections with accused murderers and rapists.

With the team’s attendance in a free fall—down more than 3,000 per game from last year and last in the National Basketball Association—the team is at a crossroads, sports marketers said . . .

In his talk with the Pacers, Graham emphasized how to use knowledge to grow and to focus on family and spirituality.

“I try to teach them to be lifelong learners and to take more control of their lives, and not just do what other people tell them to do,” Graham said.

I thought the Pacers were pretty stupid for wasting money paying this guy to give them advice, but then I saw this line in Schoette's story and realized the Pacers had a lot of company:

It’s the same message Graham delivers to executives employed by many of his corporate clients, which have included Wells Fargo, Merrill Lynch, CVS Pharmacy, Georgia Pacific, Pro-Line International, Hyatt Hotels Corp., Manpower, CNN and GlaxoSmithKline.

It seems to me the Pacers players just need some time-honored adult supervision in the form of explaining to them that they either start behaving on and off the court or they're off the team. You don't have to pay a pseudo celebrity for that sound and proven advice.

LINK
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

Default Re: Oprah's "Boyfriend" Gives Advice To Pacers

Oprah also bought them all...BRAND NEW CARS!!!

There's so much going on in that article, I don't even know where to begin.

What's Stedman's background? Was he ever successful at anything other than banging Oprah?

Why is he even working? Is he trying to stockpile some cash so he's not poor if/when they break up? I don't get it. I thought Dave Chappelle had it down pat.

Oh well, couldn't hurt, I guess. Maybe we can get Bill Gates' wife or Steve Forbes' mom in here next to tell us stuff we should already know.

I know which celebrity I want to speak to Marquis and then to coach:

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's Stedman's background? Was he ever successful at anything other than banging Oprah?
    What does it matter really?

He's selling a message. It seems like a pretty obvious and fairly self-explanatory message, but obviously I'm not a 24-year-old basketball icon, and if Oprah's boy toy is good at delivering this necessary message as a speaker -- which you'd have to imagine he is given all the high-profile clientele -- then why not bring him in and let the players listen?

There's also this from the article about his experience:

“His relationship with Oprah is like the pink elephant in the room,” said Kathryn Jordan, Pacers vice president of team development. “But this is not about Oprah. Stedman played basketball, he’s worked with athletes, so he can relate.”

Graham began reaching out to the NBA this year, according to league officials, but the Pacers are the first team to hire him. Graham said he met Pacers co-owner Herb Simon in Santa Barbara, Calif., social circles.

“We talked about some of the issues they have been having,” Graham said. “I told Herb about my theories on teaching people about finding an identity and finding out who they are.”

Graham, who has written six self-help books, said he based his talk with Pacers players on his book, “Build Your Own Life Brand!: A Powerful Strategy to Maximize Your Potential and Enhance Your Value for Ultimate Achievement.” He said his experience as a collegiate basketball player at Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas—where he roomed with the father of Indiana Fever star Tamika Catchings—and professionally in Europe helps him relate the material to NBA players.
    I can't see how this wasn't a good thing. Not saying it sparked any epiphanies -- it clearly didn't in a few cases seeing as how this sit down happened in January -- but it was good effort.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Oprah also bought them all...BRAND NEW CARS!!!
    That's the first think I thought too...
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

I try to remain in the sunshine, but I'm now officially ashamed to be a Pacer fan.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dr Phil. Dr Phil. Dr Phil. Dr Phil!
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

sweabs

Haha! Great video.

"Invisible robots!"

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear View Post
    Best-selling author Stedman Graham says professional athletes should think of themselves as “a corporation unto themselves.” “They need to represent themselves as a major business would,” Graham said during a recent telephone interview. “That awareness is created by a different kind of thinking.”

This is very good advice, and while I'm sure a couple probably don't get it, I
    hope the players that listened and understand do take his advice to heart.

Can't discount the guy's words of wisdom just because he's getting some
    booty off of Oprah. He's obviously doing something (alot) right.

Kudos to the Pacers for trying to do something by bringing in a motivational
    speaker rather than just sitting around doing nothing. Maybe even TPTB
    got something out of this; perhaps ideas that could be useful when it
    comes to screening new players?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear View Post

And that's why Shawn Williams turned his home into a Holiday Inn Express.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They just need to watch this video (already been posted before and language warning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have zero respect for any of the Oprah coattail riders. Buncha frauds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I have zero respect for any of the Oprah coattail riders. Buncha frauds.
    Not an ounce of hyperbole.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Not an ounce of hyperbole.
    Nope.

I'm just waiting for the "Crisis in Indiana - Rebuilding the Pacers" reality show to air. Hey it would be better than a telethon...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Well Redd and I agree with this, but what this does say is that TPTB aren't just letting the situation flounder, they've been addressing the issues internally for some time.

There are tons of advice shows littered with good parents that have a problem child. Why don't those kids listen, why do they act out? Hard to say. Often a family will have 2 good kids and one nut case and they just can't figure out where they went wrong.

At some point you just have to say "that's on them". The fact that Indy is doing stuff like this and have a clear majority of there roster nowhere near trouble (picture Danny, Dun, Troy, Foster, Diener, or Rush in one of these headlines). So at some point you just say "that's David and that's why he's not returning".

The ones that haven't listened and haven't adjusted to the admittedly abnormal situation, one where every tiny moment is going to be amplified due to the history and image associated with the team, those are the ones that you then remove.

The smart and fair thing was to reach out to them first and give them a chance to do the right thing.

"Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here today, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it".

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

I thought Oprah dumped that guy a while back. Seems like I read in the Enquirer that she was now munching carpet with Gayle King. Oh well, she's so rich, I imagine she can afford both.