Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well it looks like Harrison is at it again...

Default Well it looks like Harrison is at it again...

For every one step forward this guy takes he jumps three steps back. Also nice to hear about all of the harmony in the locker room, but honestly what can you expect with a season like this???

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

SAN ANTONIO -- The Indiana Pacers lost another game Thursday, 108-97 to the San Antonio Spurs, and their already bizarre season took another unexpected turn.

Emotional center David Harrison was hit with a technical foul late in the fourth quarter and suffered a meltdown inside the locker room after the game, according to several Pacers players.
    Harrison, who was unavailable for comment, received medical attention following the game. A Pacers team member immediately shut the training room door when media members walked near that area.
    Harrison's frustration stemmed from a hit in the face he received from Spurs forward Matt Bonner with less than a minute remaining in the game. Bonner was called for an offensive foul on the play.
    Clearly frustrated after the play, Harrison, who has battled problems with his emotions throughout his four-year career, had to be told to calm down by his teammates on numerous occasions. He picked up a technical for reportedly making threatening remarks about Bonner to an official.
    Pacers coach Jim O'Brien immediately took Harrison out of the game, but the Pacers center didn't stop there.
    Harrison stood near the bench, still mouthing expletives in Bonner's direction on the court. Troy Murphy stood in front of Harrison to make sure he didn't do anything drastic, and injured point guard Jamaal Tinsley was trying to get Harrison to calm down.
    Harrison was finally told to go to the locker room by an undetermined Pacers member in the final seconds of the game.
    "I subbed for him and somebody on the bench made a decision to send him to the locker room; it wasn't me," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said before Harrison's blowup came to light. "You shouldn't get technical fouls if you're David Harrison. I subbed for him, so his night was over."
    Harrison's blowup is just another of numerous signs of the Pacers' immaturity on and off the court. He was suspended five games earlier this season for failing his third drug test. Harrison was also fined by the team for breaking his picture in the hallway that leads to the Pacers' locker room at Conseco Fieldhouse during the 2005-06 season.
    Harrison's latest incident adds to the number of problems the Pacers are dealing with as they try to remain in playoff contention.
    They're pointing fingers at each other for mistakes made on the court and they're trying to play one-on-one basketball.
    As bad as they've played, the Pacers somehow remain only 21/2 games out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with 20 games remaining.
    "Throwing physical age out the door, this is a young group mentally, especially without guys like Jamaal and Jermaine (O'Neal), who have been through some wars," Pacers small forward Mike Dunleavy said. "Mentally we need to stay with it. Basically that's what I would say without going into too much detail."
    Williams activated

Forward Shawne Williams was on the active roster for the first time since an acquaintance wanted on a murder charge was arrested outside of his home last week. O'Brien said the only reason Williams was activated was because the Pacers have a shortage of players.

Default Re: Well it looks like Harrison is at it again...

O'Brien said the only reason Williams was activated was because the Pacers have a shortage of players.

It doesn't sound good for Shawne's future here does it?

Harrison... That comes with the territory.

As for the finger pointing. Hmmmm

And finally... 2.5 games out of the playoffs? That is criminal that a team this bad is only 2.5 games out of the playoffs. I'm not saying anything individually about the players we have playing because they are playing in a system that isn't the best for them. They could use a player or two better suited for this style. But I think they are trying still... altho once that carrot of the playoffs gets too far away I could see them mailing it in. Right now they have -something- to play for still. Once that's gone, I don't think pride or coaching will be enough to keep them focused and together.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Brien said the only reason Williams was activated was because the Pacers have a shortage of players.
    I wish he wouldn't have said that, it'll be hard for me to root for anyone on the team that's there just by default. At least if I'm only suspecting it, my slight ignorance will make me think he's still a Part of this teams future. My heart won't be in it.

Why Harrison is still on this team is beyond me.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

I am curious as to what sort of medical attention Harrison needed due to
    suffering a "meltdown". Does the training staff need to start carrying a
    paper bag for him to breath into after hyperventilating?

Coming into this season I had high hopes for Harrison turning the corner,
    but am glad now to see that he is only furthering the end of his career
    with the Pacers.

All that wasted potential, and wasted investment by the Pacers - sad.

Edit: Now I see why they call it "getting wasted".
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 03-07-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Addition
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

I'm kinda glad he did it.

I was watching the game and thinking wow, Harrison looks really good. I'm thinking he is so athletic for being so big and did a really nice job defensively I thought. Then the meltdown. Thank you I was afraid he'd play his way back on the team by playing so good the last 20 some games. Thank you David for putting the final nail in the coffin with your days with the Pacers.

I'd tell him to go home for the season and be done with it. His contract is up, see ya. What a waste.

Side note: David gets all hard with Bonner AFTER he's separated from him and on the bench.

Faux toughness.

Somewhere Dale Davis cringes.

This team CLEARLY has issues lol. I didn't know Harrison broke his picture infront of the locker room. Was he turning green or something? lol
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

I thought Artest smashed his picture in the hallway.

Man, it's an epidemic of picture smashing.

Maybe they need some chicken wire or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Why Harrison is still on this team is beyond me.
    It will be over soon

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It will be over soon
    Yeah. Seattle will get to keep the Sonics and Oklahoma City will get the Pacers.

Oh - you meant with Hulk...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Yeah. Seattle will get to keep the Sonics and Oklahoma City will get the Pacers.

Oh - you meant with Hulk...
    No , you had it right the first time

this guy has to be connected to the Pacers somehow, right?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...LOCAL/80306059

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    this guy has to be connected to the Pacers somehow, right?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...LOCAL/80306059
    Thats what I was thinking but I didnt want to say it first. I think maybe Hulk is really in bad withdraw since his positive drug screen. And look what it does to him. Sad.

God I wish we'd just cut him. Can we trust him to go another 4 months without giving us another black eye?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    God I wish we'd just cut him. Can we trust him to go another 4 months without giving us another black eye?
    4 months?? - what are we going to win the NBA Finals? The season is over with in less than 6 weeks

If I had been a fly on the wall in that locker room, you guys would know the whole story. I am 100% positive that we know little of the truth at this time. This has reached a point of sadness. How can one team go through so much! The Spurs are like the Pacers of the late 90's veteran leadership and quality people. The Pacers may now have reached a Knick level. Whats good is Harrison didn't go all Kermit Washington on Bonner.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Hmmmm...breaking things in the hallway and locker room after an emotional meltdown...now where have we seen that before? Anyone think Harrison wouldn't charge the stands if he got pelted with something?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No , you had it right the first time
    I have had this same fear myself. Sterns final triumph.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trust me, I don't like Harrison (or Chong as we call him) as much as the next guy, but his on court "meltdown" wasn't any worse than Pops in the first half. He was restrained from going after the official, but no one cares about that because we are the Pacers and we can only have negative PR. I'm not condoning what Harrison did at all, but I did not expect the headline in the Star to be about his "meltdown" at all. Also, I don't want to know what happened back in the locker room. This is the time when someone back there needs to step up and take care of the situation, and that is NOT the media.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

A minor annoying slip up by Wells...
    Harrison's blowup is just another of numerous signs of the Pacers' immaturity on and off the court. He was suspended five games earlier this season for failing his third drug test
    Now there are several immature players on the team and others that have been on the team, but in this instance he did mean "Harrison" rather than "the whole team". Let's not pile it on, it's bad enough as is.

Anyway, Hulk was done after 3 strikes. You have to guess that maybe they were using him for SnT purposes (showcase) or just out of pure need of a big that could be effective in the post.

But I hate the "OMG, even more of this". This is NOT NEW. It's HULK. Dude's nickname is Hulk. Not a single serious Pacers fan is remotely surprised by this event. It's like a Suns fans shocked to hear that Nash dumped out 20 dimes.

Hulk had shown IMPROVED, but NOT FIXED emotional responses. Like Tinsley's game, the JOB effect didn't take. A temp bump but ultimately it all falls back to business as usual. The losing only makes it worse.

O'Brien said the only reason Williams was activated was because the Pacers have a shortage of players
    Further proof that TPTB have hit the "enough" point and have started sitting guys for PR reasons alone. Maybe last summer they tried to "retool" since a new coach is a big deal and they were coming off a huge mid-season trade, but this summer looks to be the one where they consider taking on some pain in order to heal (ie, harsh trades, guys cut).

Troy Murphy stood in front of Harrison to make sure he didn't do anything drastic, and injured point guard Jamaal Tinsley was trying to get Harrison to calm down.

Harrison was finally told to go to the locker room by an undetermined Pacers member in the final seconds of the game.
    Small as it may be, at least a few people TRIED to show some form of leadership in this situation.

Yeah, I'm desperately searching for that silver lining, aren't I?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I have said before. Trade or drop, Harrison, Tinsley, Daniels & Williams for draft choices and a point guard.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Donnie Walsh compromised his principles in his lust for talent.

Larry Bird came along and did not correct the trend, only furthered it with his lust for non-milk drinkers.

You reap what you sow, and we may keep on reaping for a while.

My guess is TPTB started to correct the ship somewhere after Shawne's drafting and just before or at the trade with Golden State.

However, they were forced into that move. The recent benching of Tinsley and Shawne may be the first time our two-headed management team has finally seen the light themselves and begun to act appropriately.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

4 months?? - what are we going to win the NBA Finals? The season is over with in less than 6 weeks
    Yes, but he's still under contract until June 30th. If he does something before then he's still a Pacer.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've been vocally anti-Harrison since his second year here. Every imaginable trade that has come through, I've tried to find a way to tack our "full of potential 7 footer" onto.

That said, this outbreak almost seems warranted. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but maybe he's sick of losing, and sick of the way the team has been run. The new coach hasn't shown minutes to new guys, and even if we accidently make the playoffs, we're still a punchline.

I don't condone his actions, but I'm not sure how I'd react being on a team that is taking on water. I wouldn't mind a little more Bad News Bears, and a little less Washington Generals.

Oh, and get him outta here anyways.