Thread: Carlisle and coaching staff deserves an A+

Default Carlisle and coaching staff deserves an A+

There have been several threads discussing the Pacers players, but I want to discuss the Pacers coaching staff.

For the past two seasons I said the Pistons were the best coached team in the NBA. The difference between Isiah's coaching and Rick's coaching was obvious the past two years, but after a full season with Rick the coaching divide is even wider than I thought.

Rick Carlisle is as good or better than any coach in the NBA. So many things I love about the way he coaches.

1) I like his offensive and defensive systems. His idea of playing playoff style basketball all season is brilliant.

2) I like how he handles adversity/problems with players. He deals with it and moves on, he does not make excuses, he does not throw a fit, he does not embarass a player in the media. In fact I think this is his greatest strength as a coach. Every Pacer player knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing, and they know what will happen to them if they don't do what is expected. The players know their roles, there is no indecision about what is going on.

Rick is not a yeller, I compare him to that teacher you had in school, the teacher who never yelled and yet ran a tight ship, and a disciplined ship.

I found the comments by Rick yesterday interesting about how the offensive and defensive systems will be better geared to the Pacers talent next season because now they know the players so much better.

The two complaints we heard about Rick was that the players won't like him and that he never makes adjustments. Well we now know he does and can make adjustments. Players respect him and that is the most important thing, do they like him? I think they like playing for him whether they like him as a person or not.

I judge a coach by the way their team plays. Records can be deceiving. Tim Floyd was a terrible coach not because of the Hornets record, but because if you watched the Hornets this past season for 5 minutes you saw an undisciplined team that had no direction, no plan. No one can say that about the Pacers this past season, for the past three years you could have.

I also want to mention Dan Bourke, Ron Rothstein and Mike Brown.

Mike Brown I think was the key guy. He was the players go to guy. During games he was constantly calling players over and speaking with them one-on-one, when a player was frustrated, Mike Brown was the guy who would talk to the player. When a player had a complaint about something, brown was the guy they went to. Brown is not a pushover though, he is he was very vocal on the bench, whenever there was a defensive breakdown he got on guys.

Carlisle and Brown make a great combination. What Brown is Carlisle isn't and vice versa.

One final note: Watching the Pacers defense this past season has been a joy for me. To see all five guys work as one, to see the defensive system at work, bumping cutters, all five guys ready to help. It was great to watch all season long.

Default Re: Carlisle and coaching staff deserves an A+

I agree wholeheartedly UB. Also, throw in the fact Brown and Carlisle have great personalities. They are pretty fun to listen to.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree to a certain extent. I think the current staff is one that may be here for the long haul. THe team has made great strides under the staff. The only thing im concerned with is RC in game decisions, substitutions it will get better hopefully with more time with the team. I would say for his first year here that they got a great thing going here.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

I have one major criticism and I've never been sure if this comes down to the coaching staff - or exactly how you work it out.

The Pacers peaked in January and February. Now in terms of wins and losses they never had any kind of a bad stretch but those two months were when they played their best basketball.

They never really showed it in the playoffs other than for brief stretches, not even vs Boston.

The defense was solid throughout - a constant. But the offense earlier in the year was much more effective, less prone to bogging down and running through one or two players.

That said, the team plays winning style basketball. Even without playing very effectively on offense they went to the Conf Finals and were very competitive. But I do think this is an area to improve on.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

LAPacer

I don't have a problem with Carlisle's substitutions. He seems to have a reason for his moves, unlike Thomas the tinkerer.

I agree to a certain extent. I think the current staff is one that may be here for the long haul. THe team has made great strides under the staff. The only thing im concerned with is RC in game decisions, substitutions it will get better hopefully with more time with the team. I would say for his first year here that they got a great thing going here.

I would be interested in hearing any substituitionpatterns that you consistantly disagreed with. Sure we all from time to time will disagree with a substitution here or there, or at least question a move. But I loved his general susbstitution pattern.

Overlal I think Rick's management of a game is as good as any coach in the whole NBA. Reggie mentioned it this past season a couple of times about how good Rick is in managing a game.

Late in games the players must have confidence that the coach will come up with the right play call, especially coming out of crucial timeouts, and Rick is excellent at this.

Rim, you are correct the Pacers did not "look good" against the Pistons, and even agaisnt the Heat, but that is playoff basketball against a good defensive team and against a great defensive team. You are not going to "look good"

As far as peaking in Jan. and Feb. Not sure about that. They swept their 4 game west coast trip in March. They were amazingly consistant all season.

But I strongly disagree with the somwhat common notion that the Pacers "just did not play well in the playoffs" That is just the way playoff basketball is

Mood

Keeping it short for now, this coaching staff has been awesome for us.