Thread: Sad story about L.A H.S. football star

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Sad story about L.A H.S. football star

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highs...ory?id=3276696
    Story
    A high school football star described as "a Houdini on the football field" was shot dead on Sunday in what appears to be an act of random gang violence, and his mother is returning from her second tour of duty in Iraq.

Jamiel Andre Shaw, 17, was shot multiple times on a sidewalk a few yards from his home after he didn't respond when two men pulled up in a car and asked him, "Where you from?" -- code for which gang did he belong to, police said.
    Shaw was not a gang member, according to authorities, who are calling the shooting a random, unprovoked gang attack.
    Shaw, a standout running back at Los Angeles High School and the Southern League's most valuable player last season as a junior, was shot about 8:40 p.m. Sunday in the Crenshaw area, near the Santa Monica Highway. He died later at a local hospital.
    Known to his friends as "Jazz," Shaw was heading places, said his father, Jamiel Shaw Sr.
    "He was going to make something out of himself," Jamiel Sr. told MyFOXLA.com. "All he had to do was get out of high school."
    His mother, Army Sgt. Anita Shaw, on Monday was on her way back from Iraq, where she has been serving her second tour of duty.
    Jamiel Shaw Sr. said he called Jamiel on Sunday night, telling him to hurry home from the mall. A few moments after hanging up, Jamiel Sr. said, he heard the shots outside.
    "They killed him while his mother is in Iraq fighting, dodging bullets, and she gets a phone call to say her son is on the streets of L.A., dead. For what?" Jamiel Sr. said.
    Shaw's best friend, Marc Anthony Asher, witnessed the attack, telling MyFOXLA.com the men shot him in the head.
    "He wasn't a gangbanger; he wasn't no thug," Asher said. "He was a regular kid."
    Jamiel Sr. said his son's ultimate goal was to be a sports agent.
    "I would tell him, 'I'm going to get you to 18, and if you do what you're supposed to do, you'll get to college,' " Jamiel Sr. recalled. "He was almost there."
    Los Angeles High football coach Hardy Williams said Jamiel was "a very special kid. Not only was he an outstanding athlete, he was a good person."
    And, Williams said, he was "a Houdini on the football field."
    Jamiel was an all-city first-team selection last season after he rushed for 1,052 yards, averaging more than 14 yards per carry, and scored 10 touchdowns. He also ran track.
    In the past week, Williams said, Stanford and Rutgers universities contacted him about Jamiel. "He was elated," Williams recalled.
    Police said they are seeking the public's help in identifying the suspects, whom officials described only as two Latino men in a white compact sedan. Investigators believe the shooting was not racially motivated. Jamiel was black.
    "Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in L.A. that we have some gang members approaching victims at random just to see if they are [gang members] or not," police Detective Frank Carillo said. "But to shoot them anyway, that's just disgusting."
    Jamiel Sr. implored the public for help.
    "This is not Iraq; this is L.A.," he told MyFOXLA.com. "You should be able to walk down the damn street -- you should be able to walk the street without getting killed. Somebody's seen what happened: Somebody knows. Please help us."

Damn, thats incredibly sad. RIP. I hope they catch the *******s that did this.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Sad story about L.A H.S. football star

That's awful.

I swear so many stupid ****ers in this world. I hope they catch those ****ing losers. Stupid ****ers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

**** like this is why I'm pro-Capital Punishment.

Reading that brought a tear to my eyes - but also makes me extremely angry.

The racial tension between Blacks and Mexicans here are awful, this is another sad story of pure violence with no meaning whatsoever.

I live in L.A now (have for 5 years) and this type of violence bugs me more then anything else. WhY? why kill someone over absolutely nothing, and it is so common to see this type of thing. I consider myself from Bloomington although my whole fathers side is from Detroit, where I spent most of my summers and lived for a couple years when I was younger. Detroit is consistently ranked top murder capital of the world, it is troubling but you don't see random killings for no reason there. I know this sounds awful but at least rob the guy, why would you just kill someone. I'm shocked this story stretched out to Indiana. If this didn't bring tears to your eyes read about the random killing of the guy who saved lives for a living, here in L.A.

What makes this so sad is that him being contacted by Stanford and Rutgers really shows this kid was not just a great football player, but also more than likely a good to great student. It makes me furious to see a life with so much promise snuffed out for no apparent reason.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

War on the streets was lost along time ago.

Simmons wrote a good article on this.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/080312
    Also they made an arrest. Some 19 year old kid who had just gotten out of prison the day before.

One of the saddest stories I have ever read....

What is really even more sad then the strory itself is the issue of Guns/gangs violence in America.

Maybe I haven't listened enough but I have not heard one damn thing from any president canidate about this. This is no new issue. But I guess it's all about the war, economy, gas prices, etc. Will something ever be done about this?