Thread: What's the Best Thing About The Pacers This Season?

Default What's the Best Thing About The Pacers This Season?

I'm going to have to say the growth and emergence of Danny Granger.... followed closely by Dunleavy's own breakout season.

I'd accept flip-flopping those two names or just making them 1A and 1B. I'm not sure anything else comes close to the brightspot they've been this season.

Both players have played themselves into solid roles with the team plus I'd have to think have increased their marketability should the team desire to split them up to shore up another area. Not only that, but I'd say they might've played themselves into TPTB rethinking their original plans for the team.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: What's the Best Thing About The Pacers This Season?

1. Danny Granger
    2. Mike Dunleavy
    3. Travis Deaner
    4. Troy Murphy

Of course to me the true # 1 is finally having management basically aknowledge that the J & J show is over and hopefully now we can start to actually rework the team.

Dunleavy, hands down, followed by Kareem Rush. Hopefully Rush stays but money talks in the league so I can definitely see him walking.

Granger just hasn't produced as much I expected him to this season. Sure, he's avging about 17 ppg, but that's on a lot of shots and he's not very efficient on the floor. That could be attributed to him playing out of position, and whenever he plays the 3 he fares better but Dunleavy honestly plays better at the 3 than Granger, at least at this point. Next season, I hope Granger will have improved his quickness, ball handling, strength, and rebounding so that he can be more flexible in terms of sliding down or up a position. That way it'd be practical to have both him and Dun on the court at the same time, which I don't agree with right now unless we're dealing with a comparably lined up team.

Personally, it's a stretch to find anything positive.

I got invited to watch a game in Bird and Walsh's suite b/c my family is considering giving up our season tickets. They lost the game, of course.

As far as the team, I still support them and I'm pushing to keep the shared tickets. However, I've tried to be even keel about things, but at this point I'm just getting tired.

I'm pretty much ready for this season to wrap up. End the misery please.

Dunleavy and Murphy have been good and Rush and Diener acceptable, but how about some real moves at some point? To me, that's all canceled out by not making one of the JO deals last summer.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Both Granger and Dunleavy have played well above my expectations. I've also been very pleased with how much mileage we've gotten out of the dirt cheap acquisitions of Kareem Rush and Travis Diener.

Despite the fact that the defense has been terrible, I do believe they have, at least, been more watchable last year. The last two years, there was both the grinding drudgery of the set-piece offense (which is fine if you're winning, but...) and just the overall sense that everyone associated with the team was absolutely miserable.

There are still some (sizable) problems that have to be rectified, but I do think we're starting to see a portion of the team, led by Danny and Mike, move away from that dark cloud that has been hovering over this franchise since the brawl.

No one has mentioned Jeff Foster who is having his best season

Banned

Definitely Mike Dunleavy. Granger's growth was expected by most, but I don't know many who expected Dunleavy to break out in the way that he has. And you can't pin it all on just being made a higher scoring option, as he's averaging career highs in fg%, ft%, and 3% - and all three are well above his career averages.

He'll never be a superstar, but this year he's shown he can produce on the same level as good starters like Rip Hamilton, Mike Miller, Richard Jefferson, etc.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course to me the true # 1 is finally having management basically aknowledge that the J & J show is over and hopefully now we can start to actually rework the team.
    That's my answer.

Related, I am glad we have a coach who won't put up with favoritism and unfairness and imbeciles.

Of course, it's taken JOB a year to learn what we all knew, that Tinsley is unfixable and that if you make JO practice, he'll never get on the court.

And now JOB is reduced to some coach speak and other intrigues to wade through the muck called Pacerland. But I am hopeful that he'll get out of the mud soon.

So what I'm saying, is the best thing that happened this year is our new coach, who has the potential to run a respectable ship regarding personalities, has learned the key lessons this year about this franchise and will be able to succeed next year.

We lost this season in the summer when Larry and JOB convinced themselves that Tinsley could be salvaged.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 03-06-2008 at 09:30 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

10. Good seats are easier to find at Conseco.

9. Knowing that Acie Law didn't blow the doors off of his team.

8. Knowing James White didn't cut it.

7. No more JO to Lakers threads.

6. Injuries have forced us to showcase some of our other guys to increase their value; whether that is for trade or our future.

5. The hope that this offseason Walsh will be forced to make a few big moves to try to go out on a positive note.

4. We're not Seattle. (yet)

3. Knowing that Rick didn't have to go through another year with top brass trying to force a new approach that doesn't include playing the best ball.

2. Reggie not coming out of retirement.

1. It's almost over.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't see the TIns and JO show ending. They have no value. They are being overpaid. We have to cut them and their contracts still count against the cap.

Besides Jeff, Dun, Granger, and a little Murph, there is not much to be excited in regards to the future. TPTP is going to have to work for their pay to solidify the future.

Players to leave for future:
    Tins
    JO
    Daniels
    Diogu

If they get rid of 2 out of those four (JO and TIns have to be apart of that), then we might be able to have a positive season in 3 years.

I am not real negative. But this season has convinced everyone that we need to rebuild. The question is can TPTB do it. Or they will be called: TNTBW
    The non-powers that never was

Danny's breakout

Harrison's drug bust

The Dean's play - people forget he was a 3rd stringer in Orlando not so long ago

Rush - questionable pro turned Latvian MVP turned solid pro

Troy's emergence of late

Firing O'Brien (stay tuned)

[yt]SvphTqMvGWo[/yt]

Mike Dunleavy has shown that he can play the game at a high level.

Diener starting for most of the season will translate to him being a solid backup.

Danny's continued emergence as a force on the wing.

No one has been killed during the off court endeavors of some of our players. (Well, I'll let you decide if the actions of Shawne's houseguest negates this statement)

We didn't make ourselves worse at the trade deadline.

Tickets are being given away everywhere you turn. (It must absolutely suck to be a scalper on Pacer game nights).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll reserve my answer until I see who we get in the draft, as that hinders on what happens this season.

That on a good day I can listen to Mark and Slick.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.